Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

ya but VA bad I’d rather pay $300/month for real healthcare!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Ehhh, VA meh, not as bad as it was a decade ago.

Frankly, I'm surprised it didn't turn into an absolute dumpster fire under turmp. I'm mildly optimistic that services will continue to improve, yet at a glacial pace.

And we're the till under the ice.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.
I guess I should rethink my plan to retire early and rely and VA care for the rest of my life.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
VA care varies wildly across the country anyhow. I've had good experiences since moving to Colorado, but Tennessee was a goddamn joke.

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Ehhh, VA meh, not as bad as it was a decade ago.

Frankly, I'm surprised it didn't turn into an absolute dumpster fire under turmp. I'm mildly optimistic that services will continue to improve, yet at a glacial pace.

And we're the till under the ice.

It wasn’t for lack of trying. The union fought really hard against everything Trump did. It’s still crazy to walk around here and have other employees bitching about how Biden has undone all Trumps hard work he did with the VA. Like ... the dude was trying to get you fired for four whole years and you are still worshipping him? Jesus.

MonkeyWash
Jan 14, 2005
Donkey Rinse

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

VA care varies wildly across the country anyhow. I've had good experiences since moving to Colorado, but Tennessee was a goddamn joke.

And even within systems it varies, I had a horrible time in Colorado. The VA there outsourced Pain Management completely and lost track of me. They also dropped appointments or sent me to the wrong clinic several times. It ended up being easier to move to another VA region to get a tumor removed from my spine than to deal with the Colorado VA system. The providers I did get to see were all great, it was just comically mismanaged. The VA system in Wichita has been better to me, but I am sure there are some here with problems too.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
VA care is incredibly different for person to person but even with all of the problems I've had with them I'd still tell people that are eligible to use their VA care when other options aren't available

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

VA care is incredibly different for person to person but even with all of the problems I've had with them I'd still tell people that are eligible to use their VA care when other options aren't available

This is true. My VA usage has had hiccups, but they're better than what my partners or friends deal with in the private healthcare market. I get better care through the VA at zero cost.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

VA locally is pretty good imo. Things have gotten a lot better since they started opening up those VA clinics. The VA for sure has issues, but idk, private section ain't exactly great.

also, I'm a poor, so.

I had a job prior to the military, like 10-12 years ago. Even then my employers healthcare option was $200/mo at the lowest, lmao. Even now I wouldn't pay that for "better" care

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Mar 3, 2021

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Yeah, I have zero intent on ever using private care outside the VA aside from say employer optical/dental in the future if I can help it.

Flying_Crab fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Mar 3, 2021

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

What do y’all do for dental? Probably need some work done, don’t think I need anything crazy surgical

Wondering if I should just pay out of pocket, or try insurance

Kikuchiyo
Apr 24, 2003

Shuttle of joy never forget.
Anyone here that has any advice to offer on a supplemental claim or could answer some questions for me?

When I got out ~3.5 years ago, I missed my C&P exams (actually called to try and reschedule but they just no-showed me, but that’s another story) and received a 0% rating as a result. Didn’t appeal it within the year deadline (same old “eh others have it way worse” story) and so it’s basically stayed that way. Long story short, back issues from when I was in are starting to get a bit more severe, so I figure I should probably go ahead and try to re-open my claim so it’s documented.

My understanding is that given the time delay, a supplemental claim is the only way to re-open it. However, I don’t really have any new and material info (besides my own statement that my back pain getting worse/more frequent). Really I just want to do the exams that I was scheduled for and never had. So, any advice on what I should attach so it doesn’t get automatically kicked back would be much appreciated.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Call a DAV/VSO rep of some sort and explain the problem to them, this is their bread and butter so they're gonna know better.

On back problems, don't expect a big rating. I came out with a laundry list of back problems (3 discs with issues and 3 degenerative diseases, yay) and they gave me 10% for it. I went through again a few years after, bumped to 20% because the problem compounded with my right leg (sciatica sucks). They gave my leg a rating too, so if your back is causing problems further down, get a claim in for that as well. Back is capped at 30%, same as limbs.

I don't know about you guys but I've had a fire-breathing day in public that required eating a good amount of hydroxyzine when I got home. Got to stop punching doors, too, just bought another one today.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

What do y’all do for dental? Probably need some work done, don’t think I need anything crazy surgical

Wondering if I should just pay out of pocket, or try insurance

I have been to the dentist once since I got out of the navy because I haven't ever had dental insurance. I got a cleaning and x-rays and had nothing wrong so I'm just keepin on keepin on. Dental insurance through the Florida Bar or any companies that offer VA or vet discounts all have a year lockout before they can be used for anything other than a cleaning. I hope the school has a better option, because I'd like to see someone more regularly.

If your teeth are hosed or hurting, insurance may not be a bad idea, but be prepared to not be able to use it for a year unless it's an employer plan that's active right away.

Kikuchiyo
Apr 24, 2003

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Call a DAV/VSO rep of some sort and explain the problem to them, this is their bread and butter so they're gonna know better.

On back problems, don't expect a big rating. I came out with a laundry list of back problems (3 discs with issues and 3 degenerative diseases, yay) and they gave me 10% for it. I went through again a few years after, bumped to 20% because the problem compounded with my right leg (sciatica sucks). They gave my leg a rating too, so if your back is causing problems further down, get a claim in for that as well. Back is capped at 30%, same as limbs.

I don't know about you guys but I've had a fire-breathing day in public that required eating a good amount of hydroxyzine when I got home. Got to stop punching doors, too, just bought another one today.

Makes sense - wasn't sure if that was the right route to go, but had a fellow vet friend tell me I really ought to get in touch with a VSO about this, so I'll definitely do that. Just felt like it ought to be an easier process to re-open a claim that was never started, but I suppose it's all a bit esoteric when it comes to this sort of thing. And thanks for the heads-up re: the back - not expecting a huge rating, but figure it'll be better to have it covered should I need any big work done on it in the future.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Mr. Nice! posted:

If your teeth are hosed or hurting, insurance may not be a bad idea, but be prepared to not be able to use it for a year unless it's an employer plan that's active right away.

Yeah, I figured they had some sort of policy so people didn’t just grab it quickly to cover surgeries.

Ugh, man. I could wait a while, but not sure on a year. I know many spots do a cash discount, and take payments.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Also look into local dental schools.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
I was curious if anyone had any information about the process for the VA to return the MGIB booster I paid back when I was in bootcamp? I have since exhausted all of my eligibility under the post 9/11 GI Bill (I even got a 12 month extension for Voc Rehab) and I was not sure if I'm eligible / have to sign up / update payment information?

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009
I hope this is the right place to ask, if not please direct me elsewhere.

My grandfather is currently in EoL hospice care after being released yesterday from several isolated months at a VA medical center. The staff was less than forthcoming despite having every waiver short of having PoA filed and I'm attempting to request his medical records but they just aren't responding in any capacity, again. Other than driving across the state and kicking in an administrators door to talk to them personally, are there any options in that regard? Third party advocacy organizations that might be better setup or familiar with the system? My only real experience is volunteering at one near me, and that doesn't exactly get me EMR access like at work.

Additionally, my grandmother really has no idea what she needs to do/can do either for whatever benefits he has or I guess funeral services. I asked one fellow who served with him if he could help with that but he's even older than my grandfather and been out longer. My grandfather was a marine during the korean war period if it matters.

Thank you for any help you can point me towards. I'm going to be on the road most of the day but I'll check in if anyone responds.

MonkeyWash
Jan 14, 2005
Donkey Rinse

Synnr posted:

I hope this is the right place to ask, if not please direct me elsewhere.

My grandfather is currently in EoL hospice care after being released yesterday from several isolated months at a VA medical center. The staff was less than forthcoming despite having every waiver short of having PoA filed and I'm attempting to request his medical records but they just aren't responding in any capacity, again. Other than driving across the state and kicking in an administrators door to talk to them personally, are there any options in that regard? Third party advocacy organizations that might be better setup or familiar with the system? My only real experience is volunteering at one near me, and that doesn't exactly get me EMR access like at work.

Additionally, my grandmother really has no idea what she needs to do/can do either for whatever benefits he has or I guess funeral services. I asked one fellow who served with him if he could help with that but he's even older than my grandfather and been out longer. My grandfather was a marine during the korean war period if it matters.

Thank you for any help you can point me towards. I'm going to be on the road most of the day but I'll check in if anyone responds.

There should be a Patient's Advocate at the VA hospital. If you call the main line they should be able to direct you. They can assist you in navigating the system. It can formidable for anyone.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009

MonkeyWash posted:

There should be a Patient's Advocate at the VA hospital. If you call the main line they should be able to direct you. They can assist you in navigating the system. It can formidable for anyone.

Unfortunately the patient advocates and physicians at the medical center completely failed to return phone calls, direct or through the board, after the first month or so he was hospitalized and they weren't allowing outside visitation so I couldn't get in to bother them. It's part of why I was hoping there was something third party with a little more familiarity on what route I can take. Or maybe that's something more umbrella I can call, I don't know.

It was a complete failure of care on every level I can see, and the visitation restrictions didn't stop someone on staff from giving him covid-19 amidst oncology treatments, so I'm not feeling especially charitable anymore.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

Synnr posted:

Unfortunately the patient advocates and physicians at the medical center completely failed to return phone calls, direct or through the board, after the first month or so he was hospitalized and they weren't allowing outside visitation so I couldn't get in to bother them. It's part of why I was hoping there was something third party with a little more familiarity on what route I can take. Or maybe that's something more umbrella I can call, I don't know.

It was a complete failure of care on every level I can see, and the visitation restrictions didn't stop someone on staff from giving him covid-19 amidst oncology treatments, so I'm not feeling especially charitable anymore.

If you’re not feeling charitable, call your local congress critter. I’m sure they will love to hear this.

MonkeyWash
Jan 14, 2005
Donkey Rinse

White Chocolate posted:

If you’re not feeling charitable, call your local congress critter. I’m sure they will love to hear this.

Time to escalate. Contact the military/veteran's liaison at your congressional representative's office. They will have to get a release of information and then they are pretty quick.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Welp, I went to check to see how much VA Bill I have left and apparently somehow the last time I used the VA bill was 12 years ago and now I have 33 months of benefits with 20 months left to use them. How the heck did that happen? How did a decade of my life pass in a flash? (depression lol)

It says that with Covid I can finagle an extension of my GI Bill end date though? And get full BAH while taking classes remotely?

I don't care one bit about an education but I would like to mop up the last of those BAH dollars.

DaNerd
Sep 15, 2009

u br?

Zero VGS posted:

And get full BAH while taking classes remotely?

Towards this question, if the classes normally were in person and rated full BAH but were forced to be online due to covid then you still rate full BAH for the zip code where the classes would normally be located. This will go away when classes are in-person again most likely.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Zero VGS posted:

I don't care one bit about an education but I would like to mop up the last of those BAH dollars.

COVID aside, there’s a BAH rate for online schooling, and one for in-person.

Generally, COVID aside, as long as you have one in-person class, you get that full BAH. It was worthwhile enough that I thankfully found a hybrid program to finish my undergrad that did one class in-person/week, rest online

Grip it and rip it posted:

I was curious if anyone had any information about the process for the VA to return the MGIB booster I paid back when I was in bootcamp? I have since exhausted all of my eligibility under the post 9/11 GI Bill (I even got a 12 month extension for Voc Rehab) and I was not sure if I'm eligible / have to sign up / update payment information?

Curious as well. My buddy said once he exhausted his post 9/11, they just sent him a check for what he paid into the Montgomery. I can ask him again, don’t remember him saying anything about effort on his end—like a form online.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

These days you need at least half of your credits to be labeled as Remote, In-Person, or Hybrid. If you’re online heavy, you get the national average BAH, which is something garbage like $850/month.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
From the VA's website, clicking "Learn More":

quote:

Under the GI Bill you’re eligible to receive a monthly housing allowance. We calculate this monthly housing allowance based on where you take classes.

If you use Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits to take at least 1 in-person class, your housing allowance is based on where you do most of your coursework. If you take online courses only, your housing allowance is based on 50% of the national average.

Through Dec. 21, 2020, current and new students can receive in-person allowance rates if their school’s approved program changed from in-person to online learning due to COVID-19.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

When I was doing my MSW, when I got into my community placement for internship I got local BAH instead of national average and that made all the difference from debt into little extra

Meshka
Nov 27, 2016

Internet Wizard posted:

These days you need at least half of your credits to be labeled as Remote, In-Person, or Hybrid. If you’re online heavy, you get the national average BAH, which is something garbage like $850/month.

That is not true at least of Fall 2020 semester. You need one in person class or (Covid online) to qualify for full school zip code NAH.

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug

Zero VGS posted:

Welp, I went to check to see how much VA Bill I have left and apparently somehow the last time I used the VA bill was 12 years ago and now I have 33 months of benefits with 20 months left to use them. How the heck did that happen? How did a decade of my life pass in a flash? (depression lol)

It says that with Covid I can finagle an extension of my GI Bill end date though? And get full BAH while taking classes remotely?

Hello,

There are date ceilings which apply a hard stop to VRE and Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits.

Please do your needful! I think the VRE eligibility date is +12 and the P911 is +15 hard stop.

I am more confident on the P911 because I hit the threshold and funbux stopped.

There is a clause, that if you separated > 2013 or something, your eds are lifetime.

Holmes, talk to a VA knowing person and do NOT forfeit what you have earned.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Booger Presley posted:

Hello,

There are date ceilings which apply a hard stop to VRE and Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits.

Please do your needful! I think the VRE eligibility date is +12 and the P911 is +15 hard stop.

I am more confident on the P911 because I hit the threshold and funbux stopped.

There is a clause, that if you separated > 2013 or something, your eds are lifetime.

Holmes, talk to a VA knowing person and do NOT forfeit what you have earned.

That would be the Forever GI Bill

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.
Hey guys - just wanted to let everyone know that is a VA patient and wanting a covid vaccine but NOT currently eligible due to age to follow their local VA on social media.

What's happening is at the end of the week, any left over doses from no shows or appointment cancellations still need to be used. If they are not used, that VA will get sent fewer doses in the future. So if they can't get in touch with the people who didn't come in, a lot of VAs are posting on social media they are taking walk-ins that day for any current patients to get the doses used. I don't think you get any choice of what vaccine, but as far as I'm aware we are not giving out J&J, at my VA we are still doing Moderna.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009

White Chocolate posted:

MonkeyWash posted:

Time to escalate. Contact the military/veteran's liaison at your congressional representative's office. They will have to get a release of information and then they are pretty quick.

I appreciate the advice. I can't say I particularly like mcconnell but he tends to get application of power and his office has shoved through stuff for people I've known before. I pulled the information together and I'll talk with my grandmother about it once cremation arrangements are done.

cubivore
Nov 30, 2006

fuck you, got mine
Hi goons, I'm a lot closer to getting out so I'd like to ask some advice:

I'm looking to go to school once I'm out, for computer science or software engineering probably. But I did pretty badly in high school, like, my GPA was a 2.6, 2.7. Something like that.

Should I try to go to a community college first or will that be fine getting me into a school? I'm not trying to go to the Ivies here, but I don't know much anything about higher education.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Apr 5, 2021

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

cubivore posted:

I'm looking to go to school once I'm out, for computer science or software engineering probably. But I did pretty badly in high school, like, my GPA was a 2.6, 2.7. Something like that.

Should I try to go to a community college first or will that be fine getting me into a school? I'm not trying to go to the Ivies here, but I don't know much anything about higher education.

I got a degree in Software Development, retired, and now work as a software project manager. This is my first post military job but my impression is that the IT field cares a lot less about the name of the college you went to than some other fields. Half of our developers don't even have college degrees. Were I in your shoes, I'd be looking at public schools in whatever state I wanted to move to. I am a strong believer in community colleges but most of the incentive for them is gone when someone else is footing your college bill.

-edit- The edit button is not quote. Sorry about that.

DaNerd
Sep 15, 2009

u br?

cubivore posted:

I believe a lot of schools give leeway for veterans so it's probably worth sending in a few applications to places you're interested.

Kikuchiyo
Apr 24, 2003

cubivore posted:

I'd recommend giving Service to School a look if you haven't already (https://service2school.org/) - they're very legit, and should be able to provide you some good advice about what would be realistic and then provide help with your application, as well. I've known a ton of people that have gone through their program along with people that have volunteered with them, and all have nothing but good things to say about it. So, could be a good option for you!

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.

cubivore posted:

Tbh community college isn’t a bad idea no matter what your high school GPA was. The smaller class sizes are better for dipping your toes back in to education.

When I first started college after getting out I was going to Ohio State. Class sizes of 300+ was extremely overwhelming. I didn’t do well. Stopped going there and went to CC and did much better. I ended up with a 3.2 from CC. Now I’ve been working on my bachelors for a year and have maintained a 4.0.

GPA isn’t really important some places like Hekk says, but for me I’m trying to stay in federal service and if I maintain my high GPA I have a better shot of getting a higher GS level when applying for the job I want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
I got out and paid for community college out of pocket for two years so that I could transfer and then still have the benefits needed for a grad program to be free. Service to School helped me with both transfer and grad apps and I greatly overachieved for both and it honestly put me into a different life. Highly recommend