Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Would you like to remember 2016 differently, because it turns out that the Cubs won the World Series that year after going down three games to one versus cleveland. A lot of people forget that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Popete posted:

Everyone involved in this should be fired and banned from baseball. In fact, just preemptively fire every front office, give the teams to their respective cities.

Seize the means of run production

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1366889511175782405?s=20

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

LeeMajors posted:

Andre Dawson, Ryne Sandberg, Mark Grace. I watched Kerry Wood’s 20k game live.

It’s insane how marketable the Braves and Cubs were nationally back then.

154 games a year on WGN. Harry and Steve Stone. Catching the last few innings after I came home from school.... those were the days, man.

And I caught the last few innings of the 20k game after school that day too. Id have given anything to be at Wrigley that day.

BigBallChunkyTime fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Mar 3, 2021

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Is the new Mets FO as evil as the previous one? They were my fallback after I abandoned Cleveland. I know they hired the poo poo GM but then dumped his rear end immediately when things came out publicly. I assume Cohen is evil in same ways as anyone that rich has to be.

e: The Padres are already my West Coast team since the Mariners threw themselves into the poo poo too.

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

154 games a year on WGN. Harry and Steve Stone. Catching the last few innings after I came home from school.... those were the days, man.

And I caught the last few innings of the 20k game after school that day too. Id have given anything to be at Wrigley that day.

All of this sounds very familiar, I used to go over my grandparents house after school and hang out there all day during the summers as a kid. My grandpa was a Chicago transplant that loved the Cubs and 8 year old me grew up watching WGN broadcasts with him. The Cubs sucked from what I remember but that was probably the norm for a long rear end time.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Shiroc posted:

Is the new Mets FO as evil as the previous one? They were my fallback after I abandoned Cleveland. I know they hired the poo poo GM but then dumped his rear end immediately when things came out publicly. I assume Cohen is evil in same ways as anyone that rich has to be.

e: The Padres are already my West Coast team since the Mariners threw themselves into the poo poo too.

Sandy Alderson seems to be pretty much universally respected and he's unquestionably a much better GM than Brodie Van Wagenen was

Cohen is a hedge-fund dickhead but at least he seems to want the team to win, which alone makes him better than probably half the ownership groups in MLB

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Despite the Cubs being terrible for so long they built up a huge fan base thanks to that national coverage. So the logical thing to do is create a cable subscription channel for all their games.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
You should root for the Giants, they'll either be total crap this year or decently good or something in between, and not knowing is half the fun!

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The Giants under Farhan will never lose 100 games again, and I'd guess their floor is like 70-75 wins. He's too competent to leave gaping holes in the roster like that.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Julio Cruz posted:

Cohen is a hedge-fund dickhead but at least he seems to want the team to win, which alone makes him better than probably half the ownership groups in MLB

he's also funny on twitter

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The Giants hired Kapler to be their manager and hosted what might be the most uncomfortable, cringy introductory press conference for him I've ever seen to justify the hire despite the poo poo he did.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Shiroc posted:

Cohen is one of the good Evil Billionaires because he does the Mark Cuban thing where he actually is interested in the product on the field and would like to have a winning team, vs someone who views it strictly as a business investment and would as soon strip it for parts like the Nuttings.

He's also kinda funny on twitter. Still a billionaire, though.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Yeah, given that the team is going to be owned by some billionaire, Steve Cohen appears to be better than most of the other current owners. I'll re-evaluate as new information comes along, though. If in 5 years he's trading Lindor after signing him to a big contract and screwing with prospects arb years.

I'll say one thing for Van Wagenen, he didn't dick around with Alonso's arb clock. Polar Bear was with the team out of spring training in 2019.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Julio Cruz posted:

Sandy Alderson seems to be pretty much universally respected and he's unquestionably a much better GM than Brodie Van Wagenen was

Sandy Alderson seems to keep looking the other way on people they employ sexually harrassing employees considering they've hired/employed 3 high level pieces of poo poo lately.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Sandy Alderson seems to keep looking the other way on people they employ sexually harrassing employees considering they've hired/employed 3 high level pieces of poo poo lately.

He's also old as gently caress and had/has cancer. I'm not sure he's really been hands on (hence not having the GM position).

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Goddammit Tito.

Actually, you know what? I'm done. No more rooting for Cleveland. This is the last loving straw.

I'm a free agent, sell me on your squad, unless you're Boston, NYY, or Toronto.

Welcome to st Louis friend

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

More billionaires should take a page out of Cohen's book and shitpost on twitter imo

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

More billionaires should take a page out of Cohen's book and shitpost on twitter imo

What's the worst that could happen when a billionaire shitposts on Twitter

Imasalmon
Mar 19, 2003

Meet me in the Hall of Fame
Cohen took me out for a meal, along with several of his financial compliance folks when I was configuring financial compliance software for his company as a representative of the software vendor. The meal was delicious, and he bought be really expensive scotch without me having to expense it, citing that he (correctly) knew my company would never have reimbursed me for it. That's my story of how I didn't have to pay for a glass of 50 year old Glenfiddich.

He wasn't bad to talk with, but clearly only cared because of PR reasons. But, I really appreciated the scotch.

Imasalmon fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Mar 3, 2021

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

habeasdorkus posted:

He's also old as gently caress and had/has cancer. I'm not sure he's really been hands on (hence not having the GM position).

So that's why they fired Ellis AFTER they had fired Porter even though they knew about it since 2018?

At a certain point the guy that actually hires all these people needs to be held accountable.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Like why the hell does Alderson get a pass just cause he's been in the game for 40 years???

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
oh gently caress
https://twitter.com/Evan_P_Grant/status/1366909353962467331?s=20

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

more falafel please posted:

Would you like to remember 2016 differently, because it turns out that the Cubs won the World Series that year after going down three games to one versus cleveland. A lot of people forget that.

and then a week later a horrible price was paid

boroda
Jul 26, 2007

нет усов
read the whole thread last night, to catch up on the offseason all at once. cool.

summary from my dodgers-centric view of the world:

padres looking pretty scary. well, I went to this game as a 10 year old: https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/LAN/LAN199609290.shtml, so glad we can't be swept by them the last three games of the year to lose the division to them

arenado to the cards lol

i should pay more attention to the american league. like, i'm glad rich hill signed with the rays

why are so few teams trying to win?

deadening the ball - teams should be allowed to provide their own balls at home, deadening or juicing it as they wish each game. just give in and make coors field play like the neo-vancouver stadium that you could unlock in triple play 99 - also consider replacing grass with what they make aluminum bats out of for extra bounciness

goodbye pedro baez, you were sneakily incredibly solid, even if you were the slowest... pitcher... ever

goodbye keeks, i always love you for game 5 of the 2017 NLCS, and owning madbum so thoroughly

goodbye joc, i'm glad you get to run free and play every day now, i really hope you learn how to hit lefties quick

hello trevor bauer? man, i was going to UCLA in 2011 when they had both bauer and cole, even though they couldn't get over the hump. so i have a soft spot for him after that ridiculous year. didn't realize what a dick he is. i suppose i've been trying to turn a blind eye to it. i hope he pitches well for my team again, and i hope he learns how not to be a dick. also give kersh your new sticky stuff so he can live forever.

free agents seemed to mostly get screwed again. yay covid.

guillotine the billionaires

I hope the dodgers win again. but at some point you do have to ask, are we the baddies?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Gonna be fewer and fewer Astroposters and Rangerposters in the GDTs as the season goes on because we’ll all eventually be dead

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Spoeank posted:

What's the worst that could happen when a billionaire shitposts on Twitter

Get elected president and incite an insurrection

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I've spent the whole offseason pissed that the Cards let Wong go and now I find out they let him go to the Brewers? gently caress baseball.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

So that's why they fired Ellis AFTER they had fired Porter even though they knew about it since 2018?

At a certain point the guy that actually hires all these people needs to be held accountable.

Oh, I think he's at least part of the problem. Even if his sin is more of absence and ignorance than commission, it's still not good! And, other than the Wilpons, he was the guy most responsible for hiring Callaway! But I also think you can trace at least part of the pass he's gotten to him being more hands off and dealing with cancer for several years (including 2018).

He's not as old as I thought, either. 73 when I thought he was in his 80s. Dude's just had a very high level front office job since he was in his mid-30s.

I hope Cohen keeps firing sex criminals and pests, it's really the least he can do, but a first step is fixing how they hire people. IIRC Cohen admitted it was 6 white guys who picked Porter as GM, without looking at anything besides his baseball credentials. The Mets are hardly alone in this, but if Cohen wants to be better than the average rapacious billionaire owner then that's one place that's not that fuckin' hard to start.

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Mar 3, 2021

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

There needs to be leadership that says "if this happens, come to me so we deal with it properly not sweep it under a rug. 0 tolerance is how we approach these things, whistleblowers won't be punished/have their careers curtailed". And then that needs to actually happen.

They can claim ignorance on the Porter stuff, but Ellis was employed for years after his poo poo started and only fired after the Porter stuff came out. There's 0 excuse for that. The Callaway stuff makes it that much worse. I'm tired of all the we can teach these people how to hire better. They already know better, they just don't actually give a poo poo until the optics matter.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

https://twitter.com/iforgotmyname38/status/1367106370265370624?s=19

This is Excellent

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Shrecknet posted:

Get elected president and incite an insurrection

like that would ever happen

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

boroda posted:

I hope the dodgers win again. but at some point you do have to ask, are we the baddies?
Yes, the Dodgers are the baddies for trying to win every year. Embrace it, and mercilessly mock the teams who don't try to win.

Or another way to think about it, the existence of the Dodgers makes the Padres all the more fun for people jumping on that bandwagon. The Padres would be less compelling without the underdog angle.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

They said it couldn't be done. But the cubs get their man.
https://twitter.com/BleacherNation/status/1367131858723569664?s=19

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

R.D. Mangles posted:

They said it couldn't be done. But the cubs get their man.
https://twitter.com/BleacherNation/status/1367131858723569664?s=19

Hey that's Eric "The Face Of Baseball" Sogard, buddy.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Ah there it is, the veteran utility guy signing who will get 40 ABs over the entire season.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Inspector_666 posted:

Hey that's Eric "The Face Of Baseball" Sogard, buddy.

every once in a while I remember this and laugh when I think about mlb blatantly rigging the finals to make sure he didn't win

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/MarkZuckerman/status/1367126163781517317

:ohdear:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

That’s awesome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Kill all racists imo