Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Basebf555 posted:

It was funny how pissed off he was that nobody saw Live By Night and blamed it on Batman v Superman hogging all the press instead of the fact that Live By Night is a bad movie.

Literally forgot that movie existed until you mentioned it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

yeah to be fair I never saw Live By Night but I've also never heard anyone defend it

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
It's a period piece where 90% of the setting is CGI, the story is boring as hell, and Affleck himself plays a complete nothing of a character.

There's a scene where he walks into a KKK office and just blows away a grand wizard though, so it's not all bad.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

Franchescanado posted:

What year do we think the Best Picture became a misnomer or lost it's credulity? Not necessarily the first winner that shouldn't have won, but the point-of-no-return.

Here's the list for easy reference.

Honestly, The Greatest Show on Earth in 1952. It's pretty dire and one of the clearest cases of "we gave this an oscar because we forgot to give one to this guy before."

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Almost Blue posted:

Honestly, The Greatest Show on Earth in 1952. It's pretty dire and one of the clearest cases of "we gave this an oscar because we forgot to give one to this guy before."

Oh poo poo I just looked up the nominees that year and The Quiet Man and High loving Noon were both nominated.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
High Noon winning over The Quiet Man would've been amazing because it would've pissed Wayne off so much.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

High Noon winning over The Quiet Man would've been amazing because it would've pissed Wayne off so much.

If I was in the Academy at that time I would have voted for High Noon based on that alone.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Coaaab posted:

however, I will also never tire of directors getting snippy with one another

I can understand not being impressed by The Last Picture Show, but not liking Paper Moon is kind of surprising? Probably too sentimental for him. I can't imagine Peckinpah liking any movie with a woman as the lead in a positive portrayal, either. I don't know too much about him, but he's high on the list of directors I've always assumed would be a huge rear end in a top hat.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
Also, Singin’ in the Rain wasn't even nominated, which is pretty crazy because it's the kind of movie that's being evoked by things like The Artist and La-La Land.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yea Peckinpah definitely was not known as a guy who was easy to get along with, I'm sure in no small part due to his alcoholism.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

FreudianSlippers posted:

People are probably going to panic and buy up all the toilet paper again.

If there’s a chance a volcano’s going to kill me, you bet your rear end I’ll spend my last minutes on earth making GBS threads my guts out so people thousands of years from now can point and laugh at my demise.

CPL593H posted:

The cherry on that poo poo sundae is that Munich was also nominated.

I can’t tell if this statement is pro or anti-Munich but I want to say for the record: Munich is great.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Yea Peckinpah definitely was not known as a guy who was easy to get along with, I'm sure in no small part due to his alcoholism.

there was a bit from this interview with James Coburn where he talks about trying to introduce Fellini to Peckinpah doing the rounds recently.

James Coburn posted:

From the Yugoslavian experience, however, comes Coburn's favorite story about Peckinpah: "Sam would simply hole up on the weekends with a whiskey bottle. So we went to him and said, 'Come, on, Sam! We're only a few hours' drive from Venice. Let's go look at the gondolas.' Sam came along. But when he got to his hotel in Venice, he went straight upstairs and stayed there. The next day, in the lobby of the hotel, I ran into Federico Fellini. I told him Sam was upstairs. Fellini insisted on being taken to meet him. He said Peckinpah was one of his favorite directors.

"So, we went upstairs. I knocked on Sam's door. Sam growled, 'Who is it?' I said it was me. He said to come in. We walked in, He was lying stark naked on top of his bed with a bottle in his hand. 'Sam,' I said, 'I'd like you to meet Federico Fellini.'

Sam opened his eyes, sat straight up in bed, said, 'Thank you so very much for giving us all those wonderful films,' and fell back on the bed again, And that was the historic meeting of two great directors."

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
More stories like that, please!!!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

More stories like that, please!!!

If you haven't read it I highly recommend My Lunches with Orson if you want a revered film maker being an absolute catty bitch.

Welles on Woody Allen, since he's been popping up in the news again.

quote:

He is arrogant. Like all people with timid personalities, his arrogance is ­unlimited. Anybody who speaks quietly and shrivels up in company is unbelievably ­arrogant. He acts shy, but he’s not. He’s scared. He hates himself, and he loves himself, a very tense situation. It’s people like me who have to carry on and pretend to be modest. To me, it’s the most embarrassing thing in the world—a man who presents himself at his worst to get laughs, in order to free himself from his hang-ups. Everything he does on the screen is therapeutic.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I've read that quote about Woody Allen before and I find it to be devastating in how accurate it is.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

That angel sketch I did last year is now part of this sketch compilation/contest hosted by the Value Select guys:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRHHTvLyq7c
Now with English subtitles!
Starring at 10:10

One funny detail. I was doing the subtitling while still recovering from a really bad stomach flu and wasn't thinking very clearly so I just submitted the video without even considering making an English title so the title in the video is "engillenskun" the file name of the video which literally means "angelenglished"

They even used a still from our sketch as the thumbnail.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FreudianSlippers posted:

That angel sketch I did last year is now part of this sketch compilation/contest hosted by the Value Select guys:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRHHTvLyq7c
Now with English subtitles!
Starring at 10:10

One funny detail. I was doing the subtitling while still recovering from a really bad stomach flu and wasn't thinking very clearly so I just submitted the video without even considering making an English title so the title in the video is "engillenskun" the file name of the video which literally means "angelenglished"

They even used a still from our sketch as the thumbnail.

lol nice

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Also

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

there was a bit from this interview with James Coburn where he talks about trying to introduce Fellini to Peckinpah doing the rounds recently.

Skwirl posted:

If you haven't read it I highly recommend My Lunches with Orson if you want a revered film maker being an absolute catty bitch.

:discourse:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Basebf555 posted:

It was funny how pissed off he was that nobody saw Live By Night and blamed it on Batman v Superman hogging all the press instead of the fact that Live By Night is a bad movie.

Eh, that's kind of assuming a nonexistent meritocracy in the filmgoing public's attention. Lots of great movies completely slip by the public and don't make their money back, and plenty of bad movies with nothing to say still get seen by a ton of people, like Batman v Superman.

The number one factor affecting sales is how much is spent on marketing.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

I really wish this were an audiobook, especially with two readers.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

With Maurice Lamarche as Orson
https://youtu.be/vSoKIgzLYH4

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

Basebf555 posted:

I've read that quote about Woody Allen before and I find it to be devastating in how accurate it is.

It's incredible too because the Welles quote is from around '78. So he said that before Allen made his really personal movies that feel like he just put his own therapy up on screen.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Almost Blue posted:

It's incredible too because the Welles quote is from around '78. So he said that before Allen made his really personal movies that feel like he just put his own therapy up on screen.

He said it before Manhattan came out? drat talk about nailing a son of a bitch dead to rights.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Skwirl posted:

Schrader has been banned from multiple online poker groups because he won't keep his loving mouth shut in regards to his opinion of the physical attractiveness of various women in those groups.

Him calling sex a "two-way" is weirder than most fetish stuff.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Him calling sex a "two-way" is weirder than most fetish stuff.

This is like the radio edit of WAP; I guess it's technically less obscene but "wet and gushy" sounds way worse.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

Skwirl posted:

He said it before Manhattan came out? drat talk about nailing a son of a bitch dead to rights.

Just double-checked my copy and it actually begins in '83, which is still early but not as early as I thought. (I think I mixed it up with the Bogdanovich book, which ends in 1978) It's still pretty impressive because he'd just done Stardust Memories and A Midsummer Night's Sex Comedy but there was so much to come.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I don't know why but the other day I randomly had the idea of a dark Baby One More Time remix with one of Del's verses from Clint Eastwood added in. So now I'm putting the finishing touches on it and I have to sit here and wonder why.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Baron von Eevl posted:

I don't know why but the other day I randomly had the idea of a dark Baby One More Time remix with one of Del's verses from Clint Eastwood added in. So now I'm putting the finishing touches on it and I have to sit here and wonder why.

this sounds like something i'd be interested in

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Baron von Eevl posted:

I can dig it. Did you watch that Britney doc?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
No, but I think the larger conversation is part of what probably got me thinking about it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Baron von Eevl posted:

No, but I think the larger conversation is part of what probably got me thinking about it.

Well, post the remix.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I'm torn between wanting to see the Britney doc and not wanting to be angry for four hours. Even before the doc came out I knew she got a raw loving deal and her current financial situation is really hosed and everything else I find out about her just pisses me off more.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

X-Ray Pecs posted:

This is like the radio edit of WAP; I guess it's technically less obscene but "wet and gushy" sounds way worse.

:nws: language, not for grandmas.

https://youtu.be/AE50vrFX_lM?t=26

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
My brain can't really accept that the shot at 11:41 is from real life and not a sci-fi movie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODY6JWzS8WU

e: why the heck can't I embed a video with a timecode?

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Lurdiak posted:

Eh, that's kind of assuming a nonexistent meritocracy in the filmgoing public's attention. Lots of great movies completely slip by the public and don't make their money back, and plenty of bad movies with nothing to say still get seen by a ton of people, like Batman v Superman.

The number one factor affecting sales is how much is spent on marketing.

If anything Beavis has too much to say compared to other superhero flicks

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, shut up Beavis

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Skwirl posted:

Well, post the remix.

Well I will when it's all mixed. It's still a rough mix, I gotta bounce the stems and then finalize the mix and master it. Give me a day or so.

Skwirl posted:

I'm torn between wanting to see the Britney doc and not wanting to be angry for four hours. Even before the doc came out I knew she got a raw loving deal and her current financial situation is really hosed and everything else I find out about her just pisses me off more.

The impression I have is she's someone who is obviously not entirely emotionally stable but is also just kind of below average intelligence and that made it very easy for people to take advantage of her, and then the combination of those things is kind of what led to her not being able to 100% care for herself or be allowed full unconditional access to her money. She's not a particularly good singer, but she's a decent dancer and she's got stage presence, and I don't doubt for a minute how incredibly hard she's worked almost non-stop for the last 20+ years.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Baron von Eevl posted:

Well I will when it's all mixed. It's still a rough mix, I gotta bounce the stems and then finalize the mix and master it. Give me a day or so.

The impression I have is she's someone who is obviously not entirely emotionally stable but is also just kind of below average intelligence and that made it very easy for people to take advantage of her, and then the combination of those things is kind of what led to her not being able to 100% care for herself or be allowed full unconditional access to her money. She's not a particularly good singer, but she's a decent dancer and she's got stage presence, and I don't doubt for a minute how incredibly hard she's worked almost non-stop for the last 20+ years.

She was 16 when she made Baby One More Time. Of course she's not emotionally stable.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I saw her live a few years ago and she just seemed so tired. my eyes were drawn more to the dancers than to her, she was hard to watch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Everything about that family seems nuts. I just hope whoever controls the money takes care of her two kids and gives them close to a stable life.