Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
Hi everyone.. I'm here to get some feedback about my upcoming bathroom renovation. It's a small room, only 2.9 x 2m (9.5 x 6.6ft) so this has put limitations on where things can be placed within the room without having drawers/doors opening into other objects within the room.

Here's my lovely bathroom as it appears right now:

View standing in the doorway:

View looking to the right:

View looking to the left:

As you might have noticed, there's a bit of assistive tech in this room because mr bee is a lower-leg amputee. We'll be replacing the toilet frame, suction-cup grab rails and shower seat with permanent grab rails in the shower, next to the toilet and bath, and adding a floating bench shower seat.

And here is the colour scheme we're thinking of going with:

Grey on the floor, off-white walls, dark blue/grey penny round feature wall.

Here is a 3d mock-up I made of two options for the room. The wall tiles are the wrong colour as the program I used didn't have many options to use different textures on the walls. We added a wall between the shower and bathtub, so there's somewhere to hang towels and affix the floating shower seat. There will be a sliding panel glass door across the entrance to the shower. We will likely add a shower shelf alcove above the floating bench, and perhaps one under the window next to the bathtub as well.

I can't decide whether to put the feature wall behind the vanity or on the rear wall. One of my friends says that even though it's a small room, it'll be ok to have the penny rounds on the rear wall because they're a dark tone so they'll make the room look deeper. But there's a lot happening on that back wall, with the bath, window, towel rails, shower bench, and bath tapware. It feels like it'd be a lot simpler (and cheaper) to have the feature wall be behind the vanity, so the pattern doesn't overwhelm the room or make it look too busy.

I'd love to get some objective opinions on this, after weeks of looking at pictures of bathrooms I think I've become desensitised and will just agree to whatever just so I don't have to think about it anymore!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Both look great, I just can't help to think how terrible it will be to clean that tile if it's in the shower though.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
I like the first one, i think the dark pattern makes that wall look tied together despite being broken up by the divider in a way that the second mock-up doesn’t have. The second one feels a little more like something i might see in a flip.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

falz posted:

Both look great, I just can't help to think how terrible it will be to clean that tile if it's in the shower though.

In terms of cleaning, behind the bath will be worst.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

We're going to get a back to wall bath, so there won't be any behind to have to clean :)

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Needs more red and also some upside down wallpaper, maybe a chandelier

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I personally like the first one too because it highlights the wall you’ll see as soon as you open the door.

Is the floating bench going to be tiled as well? If so maybe see what that would look like in the white tile. It might look like poo poo or it might pop out and look good.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink
I like the tile on the back wall. From a practical perspective, the shower will need to be tiled anyways, so it would make sense to tile the back wall. Otherwise, you’d have one tile on the sink wall & then something else in the shower.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

GoreJess posted:

I like the tile on the back wall. From a practical perspective, the shower will need to be tiled anyways, so it would make sense to tile the back wall. Otherwise, you’d have one tile on the sink wall & then something else in the shower.

I’m pretty sure the other walls will just be the off white tile.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

AFewBricksShy posted:

I’m pretty sure the other walls will just be the off white tile.

I somehow missed that the off-white in the post was also tile.

Still think the darker on the back wall makes the most impact.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I prefer the second, mainly because I think the first is too dark, and also I think that wall separating the tub and shower should stand out as its own element.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

I like the tile on the rear wall way better. White tub on black tile is way more pleasing to my eye.

With the tile on the vanity wall only, the tub and shower are just a sea of white/light grey, which looks unbalanced, sort of institutional and not as inviting.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I just think the divider should not be black if that wall is also black in the first pic.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

AFewBricksShy posted:

Is the floating bench going to be tiled as well? If so maybe see what that would look like in the white tile. It might look like poo poo or it might pop out and look good.

We were planning to have the floating bench tiled, but adding a smooth slab on the top of it which would be the same white/light finish as the top of the vanity.

Here's another mockup with the bench having a white slab over the top. I also added some tapware!

actionjackson posted:

I just think the divider should not be black if that wall is also black in the first pic.

The rear wall / divider isn't black, it's going to be a dark blue and grey gradient. I just didn't have the option to colour it like that in the mock up program I used. Here's another picture of the tile:

I note too that the tile looks quite different depending on the grout used. I think I would choose a darker grout to try and make keeping it looking clean a bit easier.

https://tilecloud.com.au/products/broadwater-dark-blue-mix-gloss-penny-round-mosaic-tile

bee fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Feb 13, 2021

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

The first layout has a nice symmetry to the light and dark, the second feels more like a randomly tiled wall.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Thanks everyone for your thoughts! I think I needed my fears about the back wall being too busy and overwhelming dispelled. I'll post pictures again in a couple of weeks once things are underway. We're meeting with the builder on Thursday to draw up plans and book in a start date.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
We recently moved and the place has these oil-rubbed bronze bathroom finishes (like the one below). My wife has been driving herself slightly crazy trying to find matching accessories (soap pump, tumbler, trash can, etc.). What might work as a contrasting/complementary color?

https://embed.widencdn.net/img/moen/hoxgs0xovy/514x514px/ut2021orb.tif.jpg?q=90

bee
Dec 17, 2008

A very dark, or navy blue? Possibly bottle green?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
https://twitter.com/undiesmillhouse/status/1360915551212642306?s=21

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

behold the slanty shanty!!

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer
Hello goons, I'm trying to find a table that doesn't cost $kidney. Something along the lines of https://www.thosmoser.com/product/edo-trestle-table/ or https://nakashimawoodworkers.com/furniture/frenchmans-cove-ii/, but more in the $2500 range.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

we were just talking about Nakashima in the other thread recently

what size and color dining table approximately?

here's a few that might work. the first one reminds me most of the pictures you posted

https://www.dwr.com/kitchen-dining-tables/cross-fixed-table/2516928.html?lang=en_US
https://www.dwr.com/kitchen-dining-tables/dulwich-extension-table/100131175.html?lang=en_US
https://www.dwr.com/outdoor-dining-tables/kayu-teak-dining-table/1886.html?lang=en_US
https://www.dwr.com/kitchen-dining-tables/gather-table/9394.html?lang=en_US (73" oak version)
https://www.bludot.com/keeps-77-inch-dining-table.html
https://hivemodern.com/pages/product11725/magis-butch-the-wild-bunch-table-konstantin-grcic
https://hivemodern.com/pages/product9217/distil-table-todd-bracher-herman-miller
https://hivemodern.com/pages/product10843/gubi-rectangular-dining-table-komplot-design-gubi

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

It's the first piece of furniture other than a grey couch in the room, so color is somewhat flexible. Wood, not glass, and I generally like walnut but am not opposed to lighter woods. 80-ish inches long, and if I can find it I'd lean a bit wider than normal, more in the 40-45" range than the common 36". Most of what you linked are just generic 4 leg dining tables, I'm looking for things like what I linked, a lighter weight trestle rather than the common farmhouse/rustic styles.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

lol

sorry I even bothered, gl man

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

I thought all those tables captured the vibe of the posted examples quite well given the parameters that didn’t specify the trestle being a key feature...

Booley, the magic keyword you are looking for is ‘refectory table’. That’s the style of table you seem to want. It’s a very old style of table and a cursory search didn’t give me much in the way of lighter weight modern examples, but I’m sure you can find stuff if you dig.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink
So, I’m a visual for Bassett & we just updated our solid wood dining line with some new tables.

You can do this one with the live edge or a regular straight edge. Comes in maple or oak & your choice of finish.

https://www.bassettfurniture.com/DZ4021-K7840LLE

Also have a metal base with solid wood top, but it runs closer to $3500 because it uses a thicker top. Same deal, maple or oak & same finish choices.

https://www.bassettfurniture.com/DZ4021-K9042B

I don’t think you can do a lot of customization online (we just aren’t set up for that yet), but if you have a store or dealer nearby you can order through them.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Can someone give me the down low on a table that has a dropped vault surface for gaming purposes like Wyrmwood etc. on the mid to high end? I'll be moving to a new construction home in the next half year to year (depends on how many more delays) and I'd like to entertain the thought of having a combo boardgame / dining room table thing. I'd likely have enough space though that I could probably just make or buy a table for nice presentation and dining separately from a 'gaming table', if such a thing is even worthwhile. Is there any reasonable insight to getting one, not getting one?

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.

actionjackson posted:

lol

sorry I even bothered, gl man

I didn’t post but I’m in the market and really grateful for this post . I really dig that first DWR table.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

grvm posted:

I didn’t post but I’m in the market and really grateful for this post . I really dig that first DWR table.

nice! if they have a store in your area be sure to call them up and ask if they have it on display

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Got the keys today and took some measurements.

Dropbox Link : https://www.dropbox.com/s/6yegnxn09bt69e3/Empty%20Living%20Room.skp?dl=0

Initially thinking something like this.

We've got a lot of space and that wooden beam is making it challenging to work around. It is structural so I can't just Grover it out. Not without doing some serious Structural Engineering shenanigans.

This was the original layout :

Any alternative design thoughts? If I wanted to hire an Interior Designer, does anyone know of one who works online? I live in the hinterlands of the north and the odds of finding someone local who does anything beyond Old People Homes is slim to none.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Is the tv wall mounted? Maybe try a few layouts, give each a little time before mounting tv.

Also are you in the U.P.? Just curious.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

The different ceiling levels you can see in the photo might make for an awkward feeling if you're sitting orthogonal to the split that creates, even more if you have some people in a gathering sitting on one side and some on the other. I think it'd feel better to divide the room along that split.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

falz posted:

Is the tv wall mounted? Maybe try a few layouts, give each a little time before mounting tv.

Also are you in the U.P.? Just curious.

TV could be wall mount or stand mount. And yes, I am in the UP.

nielsm posted:

The different ceiling levels you can see in the photo might make for an awkward feeling if you're sitting orthogonal to the split that creates, even more if you have some people in a gathering sitting on one side and some on the other. I think it'd feel better to divide the room along that split.

I see what you mean about the difference in ceiling. I'll have to put some thought into a unique way to work with it.

UnkleBoB
Jul 24, 2000

Beginner's Version, Copyright,
1991 - Please Copy and Distribute
Went with a white Componibili, and got girlfriend a violet one for the living room.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

I figured this would be an ok place to ask: Is it really stupid to get carpeting put in if the budget can stretch enough to get vinyl plank flooring?

I've seen that the planks last much much longer, are easier to clean, improve the resale value of the home... I just don't think I like em! I prefer going barefoot at home and I hate the idea of putting my feet down on cold hardwood flooring in Michigan winters, the dog and cat are not gonna enjoy running around the den or down the hallway (the dog already somewhat avoids the kitchen), and I don't like the idea of getting down on a hard floor to play with them either. And yet everything I read and all my family's advice is that I'm being stupid to consider wasting money on carpeting rather than spend 2-3x the price on hardwood.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Phenotype posted:

I figured this would be an ok place to ask: Is it really stupid to get carpeting put in if the budget can stretch enough to get vinyl plank flooring?

I've seen that the planks last much much longer, are easier to clean, improve the resale value of the home... I just don't think I like em! I prefer going barefoot at home and I hate the idea of putting my feet down on cold hardwood flooring in Michigan winters, the dog and cat are not gonna enjoy running around the den or down the hallway (the dog already somewhat avoids the kitchen), and I don't like the idea of getting down on a hard floor to play with them either. And yet everything I read and all my family's advice is that I'm being stupid to consider wasting money on carpeting rather than spend 2-3x the price on hardwood.

Unless you're going to sell in the next year or two, do the thing that makes you happy.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Hello friends. I bought a house and expect to have a number of questions but here are the first two. I feel like I'm good at seeing when something looks good or bad but I'm awful at envisioning how something will look when it's done.

Our living room came painted a boring but acceptable slate grey. Kaiser Schnitzel mentioned the color Cooking Apple Green a bit ago and I really like the look of it. But I'm having a hard time telling if it will work in this living room. This window is kind of the focus of the room so I painted it there as a sample (forgive the tape in one of the shots). I imagine it might be hard to really tell from photos but here's hoping.

Second question: my wife and I both have a preference for naturalistic aesthetics. Plants, wood, etc. We've always dreamed of a live-edge or otherwise natural wood looking dining room table. But we also have hardwood floors in the dining room, which I find very lovely btw. Does a natural wood looking table clash with hardwood floors, or can it work?
Here is the dining area with current temporary table. Forgive the moving mess on the counter. Also worth noting that this is contiguous with the living room above, so it would take whatever color goes in the living room.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

UnkleBoB posted:

Went with a white Componibili, and got girlfriend a violet one for the living room.

I love these things so much. I’m tempted to get one of the mirror finish plated silver ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

Booley posted:

Unless you're going to sell in the next year or two, do the thing that makes you happy.

100% agree - if you plan to be there for a bit, you should get flooring that you enjoy and that suits you. Live life in your home, don't just live in an investment box.

With doggos, IMO try to avoid stuff that's super high plush, as they'll just tear it up when they get the zoomies.