Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008

2house2fly posted:

I had a laugh at this one:

https://twitter.com/Struggler2Dark/status/1366196519850946560

yeah man the demigod from outer space doesn't talk like a normal person. good catch.

What's funny about this is that both Batman & Superman explicitly prove their declarations wrong later in the film, while Lex is right but not in the way he expected. That's probably why people get confused by these movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Alexander Hamilton posted:

What's funny about this is that both Batman & Superman explicitly prove their declarations wrong later in the film, while Lex is right but not in the way he expected. That's probably why people get confused by these movies.

Irony poisoning means you can't recognize literary irony anymore either.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I guess that's what happens when Wonder Woman 1984 randomly uses A Beautiful Lie for no reason.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Darko posted:

I guess that's what happens when Wonder Woman 1984 randomly uses A Beautiful Lie for no reason.

It makes sense because after bvs he's no longer lying to himself about what he does.

And i just want to hear lex's theme again, probably the greatest theme out of a comic book film since elfman.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

Darko posted:

Huh, they did what?

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Aidan_702 posted:

Huh, they did what?
Near the end of WW84, Diana gives a speech about why "the truth is beautiful" and Beautiful Lie is playing in the background. Jenkins said it was placeholder music used during editing but then she decided she liked it so she kept it in the final version.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

The movie also tracks in some of the score from Sunshine during her First Flight moment, which is kind of a weird choice since it's used so often in trailers and things that it would be familiar to audiences as something distinctly modern.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

bushisms.txt posted:

It makes sense because after bvs he's no longer lying to himself about what he does.

And i just want to hear lex's theme again, probably the greatest theme out of a comic book film since elfman.

I'm looking forward to Flight coming back. Superman didn't get it in BvS, and I'm almost entirely sure that it was to celebrate him coming back in JL.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Robot Style posted:

The movie also tracks in some of the score from Sunshine during her First Flight moment, which is kind of a weird choice since it's used so often in trailers and things that it would be familiar to audiences as something distinctly modern.

I found it super distracting. Mostly because why wouldn't you use a piece of original music for a character moment like that? But as much as the music annoyed me (to the point where I cut a re-scored version of it for myself lol), the choice to have a man be the catalyst for Diana's power of flight is way worse tbh.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Darko posted:

I'm looking forward to Flight coming back. Superman didn't get it in BvS, and I'm almost entirely sure that it was to celebrate him coming back in JL.

I expect we'll hear at least a remixed version for cyborg.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Junkie XL is hopefully going to go full-on Brothers In Arms (from Fury Road) for Cyborg.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

well why not posted:

Junkie XL is hopefully going to go full-on Brothers In Arms (from Fury Road) for Cyborg.

I think you meant full-on Motorball from Alita:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2K_CzTLFpAA

Shared cyborg connection between the characters and all; seems more apt :haw:

Brothers in Arms slaps though, for sure.

teagone fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Mar 3, 2021

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Double post

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

bushisms.txt posted:

The neat thing about Lex's theme is that it's an inversion of Supermans from MoS

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

2house2fly posted:

I had a laugh at this one:

https://twitter.com/Struggler2Dark/status/1366196519850946560

yeah man the demigod from outer space doesn't talk like a normal person. good catch.

Nobody in real life or indeed any other movie talks like they do in a Nolan movie either.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~
https://twitter.com/snydercut/status/1367240928298209281?s=21

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
You can click that tweet to see all the chapter names btw. Thank you for posting.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

The “Beloved Mother, Beloved Son” chapter is Cyborg’s backstory. It’s about 20 minutes long.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
I just finished rewatching MoS (haven't done so since circa Justice League). Man, for a 2.5 hour movie it really just flies along once it leaves Krypton.

I like how it spends a brief moment in present time, then takes a breather with a flashback. The present time stuff really happens at a breakneck pacing, but the flashbacks tell a story of his childhood that doesn't really outstay its welcome either.

commielingus
Jan 23, 2021

by Athanatos

Chairman Capone posted:

I agree about TDKR, it's also my favorite for all the reasons you posted (especially the climb scene and the score), and I love the operatic melodrama of it. I think there's something to why people who like TDKR also seem to like BvS.

Could it be they’re both bad films?

Darko posted:

I think TDKR is the best, as it's all about honoring and merging all aspects of the character and giving him a send-off. The story is a mix of 5 classic Batman comic runs, and the movie contains pieces of the Animated Series, Adam West, etc. Blake merges multiple aspects of Robin's into one, so on and so forth. It also has the best score, and the climbing out of a Lazarus Pit scene is definitely the best sequence in all three films.

Dark Knight is definitely the weakest, but its also the least comic booky, which is probably why it is. Begins and Rises wear it on their sleeves I'm a way the middle one doesn't.

lol Snyder threads never fail with the hot takes.

TDK > BB > TDKR. Rises is terrible. The movie went full shlock once Bane “took over” and occupied the city. Talia was so obvious from the start. Decent score & cinematography, though.

commielingus fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Mar 4, 2021

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Dark knight rises is bad but I would still put it over Begins imo

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

DanteDevils posted:

:hmmyes:

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

DanteDevils posted:

TDK > BB > TDKR. Rises is terrible. The movie went full shlock once Bane “took over” and occupied the city. Talia was so obvious from the start. Decent score & cinematography, though.

Whats wrong with embracing schlock sometimes?

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Personally I got more from TDKR than I did from TDK. Nolan kind of not giving a poo poo loosened him up a bit more, but then I'm not all that keen on his trilogy to begin with. I think his desire to make a comic book movie and to be *profound* are at odds with eachother.

Violator
May 15, 2003

DrVenkman posted:

I think his desire to make a comic book movie and to be *profound* are at odds with eachother.

A comic book movie can’t be profound?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I didn't like TDKR cause it seemed kind of explicitly Copaganda to me

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
Yeah, TDKR kinda had the bad political undertones that people accuse Snyder’s movies of having.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Yeah, I didn't like Rise mainly because of the politics of it. The movie has a fantastic score and some really spectacular set-pieces but from Nolan's trilogy I liked Begins best.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

It was also boring as gently caress.

BB was great because it's a nice building of this universe and ends with a tease that more villains are to come.
TDK is hoisted by the iconic Ledger performance and amazing set pieces. I feel Bale is the most comfortable in this movie in both roles.
TDKR is just meandering and I really only enjoyed any scene with Tom Hardy.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

Violator posted:

Remember as Joel Schumacher wisely said, "they're comic books, not tragic books".

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk
The Dark Knight is unrelentingly dour, colorless & nihilistically paranoid for a comic book movie. Also, my dad Batman kills in it.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

AccountSupervisor posted:

Remember as Joel Schumacher wisely said, "they're comic books, not tragic books".

okay but it's a film

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Violator posted:

Anything can be anything. But trying to achieve something isn't the same as getting there and the more that Nolan tries tying his stories to real world concerns (Occupy Wall St. Surveillance overreach) the more it crumbles because he doesn't have anything he wants to say about them, nor do the movies.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I didn't like TDKR cause it seemed kind of explicitly Copaganda to me
I think that TDKR is more a suggestion of cops needing to be public servants. The film definitely has a lot of critiques of police and law enforcement throughout. The reason that there is this big presentation of the one cop dressing up in his nice police uniform is the idea that it's the ideal of the police. The end scene is this guy dressed like Chief O'Hara from Batman 66 facing off against military style tanks. I think there was the obvious unfortunate parallels with OWS at the time, but the moment is communicating the idea of the ideal of the police facing off against the grotesque militarization of the police. Literally one of the cops is a traffic cop.

There's an obvious critique that can be made because Nolan is offering that there is a platonic ideal of policing that is rooted in transparent voluntarily servitude and the films alludes the racial dynamics of policing. But I think dismissing it as copaganda is unfair.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Mar 5, 2021

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I will admit I've grown soft on other criticism of the movie.

Like when it came out I agreed with a lot of people saying "How did Batman get back into Gotham!? This is a huge plot hole!" But now I'm like "He's loving Batman, he could easily get back who cares about the specifics"

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Yeah, I don't care for the film overall still but as I've grown older I've put less importance on logic and just let the film wash over me and go with whatever flow it has. It helps make my criticisms less nitpicky.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
He probably went to the nearest public place and said to someone, "Google Bruce Wayne, that's me, help me get to the airport and ill give you a million bucks"

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

2house2fly posted:

He probably went to the nearest public place and said to someone, "Google Bruce Wayne, that's me, help me get to the airport and ill give you a million bucks"

Then that person tried to take him hostage, Bruce overwhelmed him non-lethally with his Kung Fu, and inadvertently became the leader of a gang of human traffickers which he quickly lead into a war with a rival gang until only Bruce was left. And then Bruce went home.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

https://twitter.com/ZackSnyder/status/1367512129171955716?s=09

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Give me the movie now