Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Kids these days have it so easy with their Crunchyrolls and Bits Torrent when they want to get their animes. Back in the day you had to get your fix through newsgroups, IRC, or weird poo poo like Direct Connect or Hotline which don't even exist any more. Hell, before cable internet came to my town you had to get your fansubs through mail order or from that place in Chinatown that sold bootleg wallscrolls.

Releases followed an irregular schedule with different groups dropping and picking it up throughout the course of a season due to internet drama or personal issues, and sometimes you just didn't care about the quality when there were just a few episodes to go and nobody good was subbing it any more.

For all the digital packrats out there, lets dig through our old CD-R spindles and boxes of VHS tapes to get a hit of nostalgia while we take a trip down memory lane. Let's show the youngins what things were like back in our day.

And, of course

Timed by KillShok

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I have a couple hundred gigs of fansubbed anime on DVDs in a box somewhere.

I no longer have a way to play said DVDs.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

My desktop only has an optical drive because I pulled it out of my fileserver to make room for more hard drives. Right now I'm having trouble finding my really old poo poo like Nadesico that were 50MB RealPlayer files on probably the first discs I ever burned.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

I've got a box of VKLL subbed Sailor Moon VHS tapes in my closet. They're great.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Man this brings me back.

I wish I could find the old subs of Love Hina I had. Some were decent, but this one set by DANCIN HOMER was encoded like a 6fps sideshow. Just awful.

We need some screenshots of those DBZ Buu-saga episodes with swear words

Stalin-Chan
Feb 11, 2009
I want the anime VHS tapes with the episodes of Dragon Ball Z that still have the japanese commercials on them, now that is some old fansubs.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
Someone post the story of Miami Mike and how he made people mad

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

I'll have to dig through my old hard drives for stuff. I am a hoarder; I definitely have like, Laughing Man Subs divx copies of GitS:SAC.

Stalin-Chan
Feb 11, 2009

Violet_Sky posted:

Someone post the story of Miami Mike and how he made people mad

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/feature/2018-03-11/legends-of-vhs-fansubs-tracking-down-miami-mike/.128838

Miami Mike- I remember what you did to me at DragonCon

Stalin-Chan
Feb 11, 2009

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
don't worry guys, i'm here!

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Coxswain Balls posted:

Timed by KillShok

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I think of old DBZ VHSes with poo poo like "THIS ANIME NOT SUBBED BY KYLE HE'S A BITCH" and I wonder what knowledge is lost to time. Who were those lost fansubbers and why were they bitches?

Stalin-Chan
Feb 11, 2009

Pierson posted:

I think of old DBZ VHSes with poo poo like "THIS ANIME NOT SUBBED BY KYLE HE'S A BITCH" and I wonder what knowledge is lost to time. Who were those lost fansubbers and why were they bitches?

In that article I posted they tracked down Miami Mike but he says the story is a lot more boring than the one we imagined in our heads.

Apparently ppl like Miami Mike are the reason we had those warnings in fansubs saying that if you bought it you got ripped off, that's the much more polite generic version of the "gently caress you miami mike" sentiment.

He was just some guy who opened a store in Florida and realized he could buy these VHS tapes online and sell them in his store.

Stalin-Chan fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Mar 3, 2021

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Pierson posted:

Who were those lost fansubbers and why were they bitches?
drank all of the Absolut that somebody stole from their parents' liquor cabinet on the first night of Anime Expo '94

Stalin-Chan posted:

In that article I posted they tracked down Miami Mike but he says the story is a lot more boring than the one we imagined in our heads.
sounds exactly like the type of thing that bitch would say

edit:

Stalin-Chan posted:

He was just some guy who opened a store in Florida and realized he could buy these VHS tapes online and sell them in his store.
no he did the thing I said

TenementFunster fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Mar 3, 2021

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I almost kinda of miss the days of Amiga/Mac early VHS fansubs

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
It's nice that subs of every show are just ubiquitous now and usually even legally available, but it annoys the poo poo outta me that this means we don't get karaoke or even basic lyrics in the OP/ED anymore. What's the deal with that anyway, I assume it's some kinda rights bs?

kdrudy posted:

I've got a box of VKLL subbed Sailor Moon VHS tapes in my closet. They're great.

I'm so loving jealous, I had the full set of VKLL Sailor Moon tapes when I was a kid and they were so drat cool. Custom plastic VHS jackets for each tape, so drat slick. I ended up giving them all to a friend as a gift so I don't REALLY regret that but i wish I had them!

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

XboxPants posted:

It's nice that subs of every show are just ubiquitous now
all the weebs who majored in japanese at ohio state went from giving us mass naked child events for animejunkies in 2003 to turning shinji and kaworu into cousins for netflix in 2019

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

TenementFunster posted:

don't worry guys, i'm here!

Holy poo poo this one brings me back

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

FilthyImp posted:

Holy poo poo this one brings me back
i remember watching that when it came out as a wet behind the ears weeb and even my first thought was “no way that’s right” and immediately grabbing the anime-kraze torrent

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

quote:

Sent: Friday, June 06, 2003 5:51 AM
To: [REMOVED BY TEMPEST]@urbanvision.com
Subject: RE: ...

Just make sure your Ninja Scroll release is not as lovely as all your other
releases. Your pretty [expletive] dumb if you think you can stop fansubs, thier
are 3 other groups doing this series too. You gonna go cry to more fans that
do it for fun, becuase your spending your money on something you know people
can get for free. Leave fansubs to fans or do it for free yourselves. All
you are doing is getting rich off a series we helped make popular.
Cause right now you have ALOT of pissed off people, that are mad at you for
making it so they cannot watch it weekly as it airs in japan, and these are
the same people you are trying to sell this to. They will buy DVD if they
want, and more will buy becuase they have seen the fansubs and know they
will enjoy it. Who the fudge are you anyways to buy a series we were doing?
We are already sending this series out to more people than your sorry rear end
company ever will, why do you feel the need to release it to people? What
are you gaining, besides enemy's. If you really want to sub, come to IRC and
do it, charge if you want to. But then see what it is like to not have your
$$ backing you, see how long you [expletive] last with your 3 episodes a month.
And if your gonna do dubs, then don't worry about our [expletive] subs, people
who want dubs will not care about fansubs at all. You knew we were subbing,
you know people fansub... So why the fudge did you start a DVD company? Cause
you are just fansubbers with rich daddies?
Anyways I have wasted enough time with you sorry fucks.

Rot in Hell,
Me

P.S. you stopped us on Ninja Scroll, cause I know peices of poo poo like you
that only care about money will try to get the law involved, but remeber
some group somewhere will release Ninja Scroll, and they will recive alot of
support from us.
Have a nice day.

Oh, AnimeJunkies.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
I like how they were torn between swearing and not-swearing :allears:

donut
Feb 4, 2001

I pulled out some old tapes, and the real gem was a tape with two episodes of Goku fighting Frieza, right towards the end of the battle. I got these in the window when Funimation had finished just up to Goku showing up on Namek and taking out Baata and maybe Jase, but before it got popular enough on Toonami for them to start dubbing it again, so this was some extremely exciting forbidden fruit at the time. I gather Anime Labs was notorious for gratutious swearing, and this one has a bit of that.

This is real UNCUT JAPANIMATION PEOPLE!

The real 90s fansub VHS experience: 12th generation copies with awful tracking and lots of f-bombs so you know you're getting your money's worth.

Apparently they sold these, going against what I had been led to believe was some sort of fansubber's code about only making copies onto provided tapes. My friend made this copy for me so :shrug:

Whoever Games and/or James were, they must have really hosed up.

This was really cool when I was a kid though. Goddamn.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
this loving rules. also i still remember how godawful the fansubs of the ninja scroll TV series were. i think i have an OLD old screenshot about how "a persistent man will get hated on"

also come on, "miami mike" deffo did some poo poo. i wanna talk to the staff at Ctenosaur Video, not one of mike's former lackeys. Serial Season 3?

TenementFunster fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Mar 4, 2021

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

donut posted:

This was really cool when I was a kid though. Goddamn.

Hell yeah dude, this poo poo rocks.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
*untuned piano music*

“hi i’m sarah koenig and welcome to serial. this week’s episode is all about how Miami Mike totally didn’t do any molesting at DragonCon ‘94 and i’m in love with him now”

Boofy
Sep 11, 2001

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

TenementFunster posted:

*untuned piano music*

“hi i’m sarah koenig and welcome to serial. this week’s episode is all about how Miami Mike totally didn’t do any molesting at DragonCon ‘94 and i’m in love with him now”

The tweet no longer exists, I smell a cover up.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
coxswain balls i’m sorry for Being Me in your thread, but speaking of molesting at dragoncon, if you guys haven’t heard the Weeb Wars episodes of ALAB, you’re really missing out: https://m.soundcloud.com/alabpodcast/episode-4-weeb-wars-pt-1 e: shoutout to The Helldude for coming RIGHT out of the gate with a great anime take. I'm the Helldude.

TenementFunster fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Mar 4, 2021

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

I'm wary of Miami Mike purely based on his name.
You never trust a guy whose moniker begins with an American city or state. Not ever.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Libra posted:

I'm wary of Miami Mike purely based on his name.
You never trust a guy whose moniker begins with an American city or state. Not ever.
especially loving miami

also back on topic, at the height of my corona boredom, i was feeling nostolgaic for the VHS era much like Something Awful Forums User SatoshiMiwa, and found some fairly old but not even the "worst" fansubs I could find of big name stuff.

TenementFunster posted:

hahahaha a buddy has a french VHS dub of DYRL from the early 90s that he transferred to an as-good-as-possible-480i version, and it's even worse than I remember:

here's a non-even-4k still of the exact same frame:

lol here's a still from the first scene of Lain.

and the 1080p bluray

did pioneer add in the lens flare for the VHS?

VHS is just so much warmer. the stills don't even convey the lovely tracking errors:

i probably have this tape in my mom's attic somewhere
i found some old DBZ fansubs on nyaa just to show my gf how loving awful anime poo poo really was back in the day.

TenementFunster posted:

this is my new favorite hobby

lol goddamn the past was SO lame

she thought the bluray rip was the "bad one" at first, and literally gasped when i showed her the real "before." i honestly don't even know why i even watched this poo poo. probably because i was 15?

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

donut posted:

I gather Anime Labs was notorious for gratutious swearing, and this one has a bit of that.

It's literally this right here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvNxgHTWIlo

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

XboxPants posted:

It's nice that subs of every show are just ubiquitous now and usually even legally available, but it annoys the poo poo outta me that this means we don't get karaoke or even basic lyrics in the OP/ED anymore. What's the deal with that anyway, I assume it's some kinda rights bs?

Yeah sometimes they insert translations into the streams at a later date. Typically happens because the translation is considered the official translation of those lyrics so there's a lot of hoops to jump through on the music rights side of things to get it approved.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Miami Mike has big "Florida Man" energy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPfZq7Qt6Z0

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Wark Say posted:

Miami Mike has big "Florida Man" energy
mods know what you did to me at DragonCon

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Anyone else remember the Ebichu translator's notes where they translated the puns before the episodes even started?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2
Hey remember the "brought to you by these sponsors" screens?

No idea what anime this is that has a drawing of R Lee Emery from Full Metal Jacket though, it's just funny because it covers his eyes

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

The United States posted:

Hey remember the "brought to you by these sponsors" screens?

No idea what anime this is that has a drawing of R Lee Emery from Full Metal Jacket though, it's just funny because it covers his eyes

I think thats more a Japanese TV thing then a fansub thing

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2
I mean it's something fansubs included that official releases did not (for obvious reasons) so are they not part of the experience?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I remember that picture but not what series it's from either. I need to know.

It's not super old because I only started watching fansubs as the bittorrent era began but that doesn't narrow it down much.