Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Does anyone have any experience with the Idobao ID80? I was thinking of picking one up for my first custom board. My only previous experience will be with the GMMK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Dr Cheesequake posted:

That’s what I said as well a couple of years ago when I bought my WASD v2 TKL.

Now I’m sitting here with three bags of switches “to try out”, a num pad kit ready to assemble, a gmmk pro reserved, and also casually looking at soldering equipment, because “I’m this far in - might as well try making a custom cable”.

Stop no why you do this to me.

I can already tell this is going to strongly conflict with my rare plants that I regularly blow money on.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:

couldcareless posted:

Stop no why you do this to me.

I can already tell this is going to strongly conflict with my rare plants that I regularly blow money on.
It's okay, we'll be here to enable support you when the time comes!

interrodactyl posted:

So I wasn't super impressed with my Glorious Pandas, nor with my Gazzew U4 Bobas. But then I started hearing about these Holy Bobas, where you use the Glorious / Halo True stem and put it inside the Boba housing.

Holy poo poo these things are tactile as gently caress and may be my new favorite switch. Highly, highly recommend trying it. They are the thockiest tactile I've used, there's very little travel before the bump, and the bump is very, very sharp. They're like super thocky Zealios.

If you've got the parts around, give it a try. I wouldn't recommend going out to buy the parts individually because frankenswitching can be very expensive, but this allowed me to make good use of some switches I wasn't super hyped on.
:argh: I have a bunch of extra Bobas lying around and now I really want to try this... where can I get a small amount of Halo Trues for cheap???? And I don't need anything other than a switch opener (or I guess screwdriver), right? They look like they're Cherry style housings. Did you bother lubing or filming 'em at all?

I guess you can get 36 Glorious Pandas direct from them for about $.70 per switch... the Drop Halo Trues are cheaper per switch but only come in packs of 90+.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Stroop There It Is posted:

:argh: I have a bunch of extra Bobas lying around and now I really want to try this... where can I get a small amount of Halo Trues for cheap???? And I don't need anything other than a switch opener (or I guess screwdriver), right? They look like they're Cherry style housings. Did you bother lubing or filming 'em at all?

I guess you can get 36 Glorious Pandas direct from them for about $.70 per switch... the Drop Halo Trues are cheaper per switch but only come in packs of 90+.

Correct, you just swap the stem into the boba housing and you're good.

I lubed the stems but I will probably relube them - frankly, I don't think it's really needed. Just be careful if you have the 62g spring Bobas as I've heard from some people that the upstroke can sometimes feel a little wonky and you might want a stronger spring (I'd recommend 16mm TX springs as a replacement, as these are the closest after a quick test).

Ideally you can search on r/mechmarket for someone who has some halo stems as that will be the cheapest option. Honestly the Panda housings are not really worth using in any other frankenswitch so that's a better option.

Another thing you can consider is grabbing Halo Clears, because that's the same stem (recolored) in a different housing, and you might be able to find a cheaper 70 pack of those.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
I posted a while back about being interested in a TKL with tactile switches, with a budget of ~$175 or less. RGB or white backlighting, ideally hot-swappable too so I can try quieter switches in the future. I put off deciding for a while, and since then I've noticed everyone mentions poor stabs for the main ones I was considering, the GMMK/Ducky One 2/Drop CTRL (also found the Keychron C1 but haven't seen it mentioned much yet). Are there boards with actually good stabs out of the box or is it just a foregone conclusion that they'll have to be modded to be smooth and not rattle? Would be perfectly fine with getting a barebones board with separate switches and caps, but don't want to get involved in soldering.

And unrelated, but it seems like all the recommended more-tactile-than-Cherry-Brown switches (Halo Clear, Boba, Glorious Panda, Zealio) remove pre-travel. What if I kind of like having some pre-travel with the tactile bump in the middle?

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Gunder posted:

Does anyone have any experience with the Idobao ID80? I was thinking of picking one up for my first custom board. My only previous experience will be with the GMMK.

I have an Idobao ID87 and it has been a pretty solid experience, no issues since I got it in November, other than various shipping issues.
That said, I've seen multiple cases of the PCB of the ID80v2 being particularly sensitive to static discharges, but apparently a fix is in the works. Might want to hold on that a bit.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

interrodactyl posted:

Correct, you just swap the stem into the boba housing and you're good.

I lubed the stems but I will probably relube them - frankly, I don't think it's really needed. Just be careful if you have the 62g spring Bobas as I've heard from some people that the upstroke can sometimes feel a little wonky and you might want a stronger spring (I'd recommend 16mm TX springs as a replacement, as these are the closest after a quick test).

Ideally you can search on r/mechmarket for someone who has some halo stems as that will be the cheapest option. Honestly the Panda housings are not really worth using in any other frankenswitch so that's a better option.

Another thing you can consider is grabbing Halo Clears, because that's the same stem (recolored) in a different housing, and you might be able to find a cheaper 70 pack of those.
Ah cool, thanks for the info! I have a bunch of 62g and 68g Bobas, but I was planning on using the latter anyway because the former have clear tops and I want that full thock. Good point, I'll trawl r/mm (more often than usual...) to see if I can find someone selling stems (or the whole switches for cheap). Drop does have Halo Clears in 70-packs, so maybe I'll go for that if I can't find some on mechmarket.

I prob won't bother lubing these, though... I do want to lube the stabs in my Cospad, since they are fully unlubed and sound and feel like garbage.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

qnqnx posted:

I have an Idobao ID87 and it has been a pretty solid experience, no issues since I got it in November, other than various shipping issues.
That said, I've seen multiple cases of the PCB of the ID80v2 being particularly sensitive to static discharges, but apparently a fix is in the works. Might want to hold on that a bit.

The one I'm looking at is the V1.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

I have two keyboards that I want to have on my desk simultaneously and for Reasons I don't want to screw around with a USB KVM. Unfortunately, two keyboards take up a lot of space, and I am looking for a way to make it so things are more easily accessible on my desk.

The solution I have been trying to find (or make, if I have to) is a "floating", C-shaped keyboard stand. Think like this: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Computer-Keyboard-Holder-Clear-Acrylic-Tilted-Keyboard-Stand-for-Office-Desk-Home-School/527022184

But with a second, upside-down one welded to it on the short part, kind of like a C-shaped laptop stand but less deep. If anyone knows where to source something like this, please tell me?

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Gunder posted:

The one I'm looking at is the V1.

That one should be fine, for what I've seen.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

dragonshardz posted:

I have two keyboards that I want to have on my desk simultaneously and for Reasons I don't want to screw around with a USB KVM. Unfortunately, two keyboards take up a lot of space, and I am looking for a way to make it so things are more easily accessible on my desk.

The solution I have been trying to find (or make, if I have to) is a "floating", C-shaped keyboard stand. Think like this: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Computer-Keyboard-Holder-Clear-Acrylic-Tilted-Keyboard-Stand-for-Office-Desk-Home-School/527022184

But with a second, upside-down one welded to it on the short part, kind of like a C-shaped laptop stand but less deep. If anyone knows where to source something like this, please tell me?

Just buy a couple of 40%'s and still have 20% space left over.

or even a 30%

or a split

or some other degenerate poo poo

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Just buy a couple of 40%'s and still have 20% space left over.

or even a 30%

or a split

or some other degenerate poo poo

How the gently caress do you type in numbers with one of those?

I suppose I could just be super ghetto and epoxy/bolt a couple cheap acrylic risers together.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
numbers are easy, the true horror of those form factors don't reveal themselves until you need to write a dash or plus sign

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

For linear switch connoisseurs: which switches are the closest to Tangerine 62g yet actually available (unlike the Tangerines)?

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Rollie Fingers posted:

For linear switch connoisseurs: which switches are the closest to Tangerine 62g yet actually available (unlike the Tangerines)?

What matters most to you? Sound? Smoothness? Price value?

e: This is probably your best bet https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjKxqaPi_8Y

e2: You can also check out ThereminGoat's overall ratings and a short review of each switch on his github and blog: https://github.com/ThereminGoat/switch-scores/blob/master/Composite%20Overall%20Total%20Score%20Sheet.csv

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Rollie Fingers posted:

The Tangerines are just JWK recolors. These Moss switches are exactly the same but with slightly different housing: https://www.us.txkeyboards.com/products/durock-linear-moss-switch

Also, wanted to mention that I just received a bunch of the Moss switches, and they're practically identical to my Alpaca V2s -- one of the most popular and highly regarded linear switches (aside from vintage switches). The Moss switches have a tiny bit of scratch, but it's so small, I'd be perfectly fine using them stock and just naturally removing the scratchiness from regular use. They feel excellent right out of the box.

Gearman fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Mar 4, 2021

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

dragonshardz posted:

How the gently caress do you type in numbers with one of those?

Layers. Now how you implement the layers is entirely up to you. 33% boards have some silly stuff going on to work but 40's are fantastic. I like my momentary layers on my split spacebars for example. Hold to activate a layer, or tap to use space.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

interrodactyl posted:

e2: You can also check out ThereminGoat's overall ratings and a short review of each switch on his github and blog: https://github.com/ThereminGoat/switch-scores/blob/master/Composite%20Overall%20Total%20Score%20Sheet.csv

Gearman posted:

The Tangerines are just JWK recolors. These Moss switches are exactly the same but with slightly different housing: https://www.us.txkeyboards.com/products/durock-linear-moss-switch

Also, wanted to mention that I just received a bunch of the Moss switches, and they're practically identical to my Alpaca V2s -- one of the most popular and highly regarded linear switches (aside from vintage switches). The Moss switches have a tiny bit of scratch, but it's so small, I'd be perfectly fine using them stock and just naturally removing the scratchiness from regular use. They feel excellent right out of the box.

Much appreciated! Alpaca V2s look like what I need and they're in stock thankfully.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
its kinda wild to me the number of people who don't use function keys or the number pad. the overlap between excel jocks and custom keyboard bois must be low.

the smallest I can cut this stuff down is 75% plus numpad or a 1800

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Most of us started out unable to imagine life without the F-row and uneasy about losing the numpad, and eventually end up owning $8,000 worth of those 40% layout monstrosities whose only reason to exist is nerd cred.

If you stick around long enough, you will get there. Resistance is futile.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

its kinda wild to me the number of people who don't use function keys or the number pad. the overlap between excel jocks and custom keyboard bois must be low.

I went with the TKL board and my LFKpad circuit board just showed up in the mail today. I can't use my own board at work and don't want to overwrite my reflexes with some wacky layout at home.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I'm having similar but not identical issues (though I'm not in full custom territory). Still need some keys that these boards don't like keeping. Mentioned I was getting a Freestyle 2. Came in and using it, and mostly good with a few hiccups (I never learned to touch type "standard")... except for the F row and the arrow cluster.
I use two programs for my job (and Excel, but that overlaps in controls with both). One is almost entirely mouse driven with a few numbers and letters per minute, so whatever. The other is... ancient. VT100 terminal navigated exclusively with arrow keys, Enter (forward), and F6 (backwards). This causes issues for the right half of the keyboard, because the Freestyle splits its keys weird and doesn't leave enough space to not have to cram the arrow keys in awkwardly, and if course the standard Freestyle 2 I could actually afford isn't programmable so I can't do an awkward "layer over existing keys" approach. So the keyboard purchased explicitly to stop me from having to twist and bend my wrists so much... forces me to either twist/bend my wrists typing on the arrow key section constantly, or on the letter keys less constantly but at a worse angle and combined with stretching the arm. Already have enough arm and shoulder issues to deal with without overextending. I have no solution yet and I'm not sure there is a solution ("replacing the software" is not on the table).

Also whoever decided to put 7 F keys on one half and 5 on the other is a jackass.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

numpads on 40's do exist:
THE50

Candybar

Minivan + Roadkit

Elongate

Coming soon (but already sold out):
Garbage Truck - https://thevankeyboards.com/garbage-truck

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Glorious did a stream featuring their upcomming GMMK Pro last night. It features a sound test. You can watch the whole thing here.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

numpads on 40's do exist:

you've solved slightly less than half my theoretical problem and a bunch of those numpad layouts loving suck (2u 0 and = is mandatory)

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Wow, a keyboard mat really does make a huge difference to the sound of a keyboard. I put one of my old Artisan XSoft pads under it and it made everything so much quieter.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Are these really small batch and its why they sell out so fast? Like, most sites I go to everything is gone. Is it cause of the pandemic? Or was it like this before?

I kinda wanna jump in the game (not building my own) as I love the aesthetic of these little keyboards but it seems impossible.

I currently use the Razer Ornata which is neat to me - fun to type on, membrane but with a switch.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Spent the better part of an hour lubing the stabs on the space bar of my GK96 with dielectric grease and lubing some commonly-used switches and ho boy it did it help. Space bar is now making a solid thunk instead of a rattle, and my tab key is smoother. Pain in the rear end getting the bar back into the stabilizer pins properly - but now I want to do all the switches.

Just need like 5 free hours.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I use the numpad for pre-made / absolute window layouts (arrow keys for pure window snapping and relative resizing) and I go insane when I'm on my keychron k2 and I can't use it.

It's particularly painful because it's when I'm on my laptop with no external monitor that the window layouts are even more important—and that's precisely when I don't have access to my full-size. Normally, I'd use the magic trackpad, but that's awkward if I'm using my keychron v2 in front of it. I could get an external magic trackpad, but, at that point, why not just get a numpad or use a full-size?

I have a cherry-blue 104 WASD that I use as my main. I'm waiting on a custom 104 Unicomp classic and when it arrives my WASD is going to be my main "kicked out of the office and need to work on the kitchen table" keyboard. Maybe even my main travel keyboard lol. Keychron has Gateron Blues and Browns and I might at some point swap in Zealios for a "baby is sleeping" keyboard.

DirtyRobot fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Mar 4, 2021

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I use Excel quite a bit and moved to 65% because I never use the numpad. Doing so would force me move my hands from the default position so I just use the numrow instead. Maybe that's part of the reason why you see comparatively few larger keyboards in the enthusiasts community.

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.
I'd probably use a numpad if it was on the left side of the keyboard or I guess split off and on the opposite side of my mouse, but I don't care enough to search for a keyboard like that or a separate numpad.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

rarbatrol posted:

I'd probably use a numpad if it was on the left side of the keyboard or I guess split off and on the opposite side of my mouse, but I don't care enough to search for a keyboard like that or a separate numpad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYJYm8dbKG8

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

I use my numpad as a numpad and also have QMK layers for whatever dumb poo poo I want like bringing up the calculator app or switching between browser tabs

Gunder
May 22, 2003

I was bummed to discover that my new GMMK TKL board had a nasty metallic ping to it when typing at a normal speed. Turns out it wasn't the board itself, but rather the new Glorious Panda switches that I had bought with it. After swapping in my old Kaihl Box Whites, the pinging sound completely vanished. Apparently, there's a significant amount of leaf ping on the Pandas, and the only way to relieve it is to do a painstaking lube job on the leaf itself.

I can't be bothered to meticulously lube an entire keyboard by myself, so I'm thinking of selling the pandas and trying some linears from a company that offers to manually lube all the switches they sell before they mail them to you. I just have to decide between the Alpacas and the Gateron Ink Blacks. Has anyone tried either of those?

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
Personally I would just buy Alpacas from PrimeKB and lube them myself (but would never buy 5 pin switches to put into a board that only accepts 3 pin switches). Lubing switches is all a matter of preference, and most people are not good at lubing switches. If you're intent on it, just buy some gateron yellows or other 3 pin switches so you don't have to clip the legs off of 5 pin switches.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

The company in question offers to clip the extraneous legs off the switches, so that's not a thing I'd have to spend any time doing, but I understand the general distaste of mangling switches.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
That works! I'd still advise against it because if you ever want to upgrade the keyboard, you'll end up with switches that might not be stable enough. I'd still recommend some gateron yellows because they're the best value / price for sound and smoothness, and the GMMK is never going to sound amazing no matter how much work you put into it.

Otherwise, the Alpaca V2s are commonly agreed as the linear switch to beat these days, as long as they're lubed and filmed.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

interrodactyl posted:

That works! I'd still advise against it because if you ever want to upgrade the keyboard, you'll end up with switches that might not be stable enough. I'd still recommend some gateron yellows because they're the best value / price for sound and smoothness, and the GMMK is never going to sound amazing no matter how much work you put into it.

Otherwise, the Alpaca V2s are commonly agreed as the linear switch to beat these days, as long as they're lubed and filmed.

Not to be dense, but do there exist any hot-swappable boards that WOULD sound amazing? I have a GMMK and I don't know if I can ever go back to a non-swappable board . . . but I also can't say I'm in love with the rest of the keyboard :sigh:

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Zarin posted:

Not to be dense, but do there exist any hot-swappable boards that WOULD sound amazing? I have a GMMK and I don't know if I can ever go back to a non-swappable board . . . but I also can't say I'm in love with the rest of the keyboard :sigh:

They do exist. The AIO3 Vega and RAMA Thermal both have hot-swap PCB options and sound amazing. You can also add millmax sockets to just about any PCB to make it hot-swappable.

Also, I do think it's worth having a 5-pin hot swappable board around. Last I saw, there were nearly a thousand different switches out there, with many more coming out every week. It's nice to be able to try the hotness in a board without having to solder and de-solder every time.

Gearman fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Mar 5, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Zarin posted:

More and more boards are being designed with hotswap PCBs, and I expect this trend to continue. As mentioned above, the Vega and many of RAMA's boards are hotswap compatible, and many boards can be made hotswap by soldering in mill-max sockets to the PCB.

If you don't want to wait for group buy hell, there's also some competitive "entry-level customs" like the Novelkeys NK65 Entry Edition, which is my pick for the best value hotswap keyboard you can currently get.