Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

Slamhound posted:

Sure, but given production timing you need to give a buffer of at least a year. Lost was 2004, Supernatural was 2005, neither hit their popularity until they had aired for at least half a season.

In Lost's case that is clearly untrue. The pilot was huge and the show got massive ratings and press right from the start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Haha oh my god. The infamous oppression olympics scene in Ginny & Georgia is so much better in context. Still very hammy, but motivated hammy.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
You guys know piracy doesn't necessarily mean downloading, right? There are other streaming sites than the official ones.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Looten Plunder posted:

Good show. It was quite popular here on the forums when it was airing.

Finished the 4th season and to my horror saw that thats it. Thats only like 24 episodes for the entire run! Not enough!

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

muscles like this! posted:

Is Comedy Central's Upright Citizen's Brigade on streaming anywhere? Such an amazing show chock full of talent that never gets talked about.

I've been looking for 20 years for this on dvd, or streaming when that became a thing...

feedmyleg posted:

It's a shame that all those Lost ripoffs never realized that the reason people liked Lost was that it was good. They should have copied that strategy instead of trying to be bad.

I have a soft-spot for those lovely, mid-2000s Friday Night dramas...they all ended up being a blend of Lost with a sappy, Grey's Anatomy outro set to some trendy music. Nothing says drama is coming like watching slow-mo shots of all of your characters set to The Strokes...

Jericho, Revolutions, Fringe, New Amsterdam...

Come on! Name your favorite, lovely 2000s network dramas!

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
I want to say The Event started interesting, and then was lame for a while, but then got really interesting again just before it was canceled. I'm relatively certain I remember Ricky Jay and Charlie from Lost being, uh, secret agent physics professors...? Or something like that

Or maybe I'm thinking of Flashforward

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Lol yeah I was thinking of Flashforward

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Simone Magus posted:

I want to say The Event started interesting, and then was lame for a while, but then got really interesting again just before it was canceled. I'm relatively certain I remember Ricky Jay and Charlie from Lost being, uh, secret agent physics professors...? Or something like that

Ah!

I was trying so hard to remember The Event and Flashforward! :lol:

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
I just read the synopsis for The Event and oh okay that was the one with Scott Ritter and aliens

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

I was so depressed with Flashforward because I love the book and everything else that author writes.

Also, the way Debris has the a much larger team / logistics organization to handle everything makes this seems much more like the comic Federal Bureau of Physics. Which was supposedly getting an adaptation but that might be dead by now, and especially after this.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I was trying so hard to remember The Event and Flashforward! :lol:

It's because YOU WERE LOADED OK.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Simone Magus posted:

Flashforward had some really cool ideas and then did absolutely nothing with them. Wasn't there a dude that knew he was going to die imminently because he didn't flash forwards or something? What a shame.

All I remember about The Event is that it had Dr Weaver from ER and an airliner (and also it was bad).

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

IRQ posted:

Flashforward had some really cool ideas and then did absolutely nothing with them. Wasn't there a dude that knew he was going to die imminently because he didn't flash forwards or something? What a shame.

All I remember about The Event is that it had Dr Weaver from ER and an airliner (and also it was bad).

They also had a character that was so against their "FlashForward" they killed themselves before it had a chance to happen.

Unfortunately that actor also ended up killing himself a couple years later.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Jericho, Revolutions

Jericho was good.

Revolution, had a good pilot but just fell on it's face every single chance it could get immediately after. Hell, they had Giancarlo Esposito, immediately after Breaking Bad and just did nothing with him.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

What I saw of Revolution Season 2 was at least dumb in a fun way.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
https://twitter.com/nedroid/status/168223072602697729

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Revolution season 2 was like a family friendly cross between mad max and game of thrones

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I seem to remember the opposite about Revolution starting out well and fizzling. I remembered thinking it was dumb at first and then as it got a little looser as it went on it became a lot more fun.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
The Simpsons got renewed for another 2 seasons.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Someone please save Julie Kavner

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I recently watched Maximum Overdrive and was super bummed at how good Yeardly Smith was but how little she had been in other than Lisa Simpson work.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

feedmyleg posted:

I recently watched Maximum Overdrive and was super bummed at how good Yeardly Smith was but how little she had been in other than Lisa Simpson work.

The Legend of Billie Jean is good

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Maximum Overdrive remains one of the best documentaries ever made.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Iron Crowned posted:

The Legend of Billie Jean is good

drat, somehow this always slips off my radar. I'm gonna get on that.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Iron Crowned posted:

Jericho was good.

Revolution, had a good pilot but just fell on it's face every single chance it could get immediately after. Hell, they had Giancarlo Esposito, immediately after Breaking Bad and just did nothing with him.

Jericho was great for a network show, Lennie James needs to be in more stuff.

Revolution I didn't remember until this post, but yeah, it had potential, then every time it tried to do something cool it derailed it to do family drama. That show was basically Fallout but they somehow hosed it up. At leasg it got bad really quickly and didn't waste your time.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Arist posted:

Someone please save Julie Kavner

Even Nancy Cartwright didn't sound too good in the most recent episode. Don't know if it was an isolated incident, but very horse and Bart's voice sounded lower.

I'm surprised they aren't having them create a phonetic library so we can have fully machine generated episodes for decades to come.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Mar 3, 2021

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I'm surprised they haven't just to be safe. Like they did with Majel Barrett.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Fun fact about Yeardley Smith, she hosts a true crime podcast and after it started getting popular she staged a coup and took it over claiming she was the sole owner, despite the fact that her cohost (Zibby Allen) says they created the show together. Smith then fired Allen from the show and released a statement saying that Allen quit on her own because she wanted to pursue her acting career.

It was a very bizarre situation because there's no way that the podcast was making anywhere near enough money to actually matter to Smith seeing as she gets paid millions of dollars a year doing The Simpsons.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

She wants that Joe Rogan money

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I have to imagine that most of the core Simpsons voice actions just live in a VERY weird bubble. Where else in entertainment do you get to do the same gig for 32 years straight. Unchanging. Forever. With every indication that you'll be able to keep doing it until you die? Knowing that they'll never be able to replace you without killing the show?

Maybe it leads to things like searching for unearned glory due to not getting a thrill from challenge anymore.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Add me to the Jericho list.

A bit after the 00s but I also had a soft spot for the first seasons of Grimm and Once Upon a Time. Think I quit both after the second or third season, though. OUAT seemed like it went on forever.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

https://www.darkhorizons.com/bosch-to-get-a-spin-off-series/

IMDB TV? At least it's free.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Great news! This makes me unbelievably happy. Bosch is one of my favorite shows hardly anyone watches, and one of the best cop/detective shows ever.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Yeah the show is excellent and I’m excited too.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Speaking of cop shows, this makes me giggle every time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3WQ8jNkTUM

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

I have a soft-spot for those lovely, mid-2000s Friday Night dramas...they all ended up being a blend of Lost with a sappy, Grey's Anatomy outro set to some trendy music. Nothing says drama is coming like watching slow-mo shots of all of your characters set to The Strokes...

Jericho, Revolutions, Fringe, New Amsterdam...

Come on! Name your favorite, lovely 2000s network dramas!

Did you just call Fringe lovely??

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

A Bosch spinoff, starring ... Harry Bosch? I'm in. That will be an interesting dynamic since Maddie expressed her interest in going full fash at the end of last season. Although we do still have one final season of the main show to see how things shake out.

Also more opportunity for The Lincoln Lawyer to make a cameo.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Jericho at least had a great premise

My favorite recent Canceled Mystery Show is Colony. Ugh it was getting so good right as it got cancelled. It even had Wayne Brady (yes Wayne Brady) as a billionaire tech bro villain

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1367203512627658752

Sure, but what are you gonna call it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Silas