Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
This morning, successful one time replacement of a registration transport assembly on a WC3655 *without* ending up cutting the wire harnesses on the reg being removed because gently caress me if Xerox don't have pack the harnesses up to the MCU exceptionally too tight. That the machine booted up and printed successfully was a bonus, and all for an intermittent paper size mismatch error

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
I have a family member asking about an all-in-1 printer. As usual my recommendation was to live without colour and get Brother mono laser. However the UK seems to be on short supply of those at the moment. How are HP these days? Any printer-companies-hate-you shenanigans?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'm going through this at the moment, I only need a mono machine but I want duplex scanning which seems to be a niche option for some reason. I've settled on the HP M428fdw but it's not exactly a budget machine.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I recently bought an HP M130fw and it's been fine so far except for incredibly bad driver issues on one Windows 10 machine. That particular computer has problems with any printer, though - on other computers the M130fw has been just fine.

zaepg
Dec 25, 2008

by sebmojo
I'm trying to clean and fix a dirty gunky old printer, that prints in faded ink. It has trouble mostly printing black.
What is this sponge thing, what does it do?

I have an old HP Inkjet Printer I'm fixing. The blacks in the printer won't come out, if they do it's very minimal and faint. Colors are faded too but not as bad. The previous owner had a cart explode or leak. I replaced the carts so they are brand new.

Look at these images. This thing is soaked in black ink. Both of them.

zaepg fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Feb 6, 2021

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

That's exactly the purpose of those sponges, to collect ink when the printer runs a nozzle cleaning cycle. (This is where all your expensive ink gets wasted, it gets blown out into a sponge to keep the nozzles clean.)

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

zaepg posted:

I have an old HP Inkjet Printer I'm fixing.

Why?

I mean, if there is a compelling reason or the answer is just "because I want to" that's fine, but non-photo inkjets are more ink-selling vehicles than anything else.

If I was working on that thing I'd probably focus on trying to clean out the well where the sponges are - it appears to be where the cartridges park and might insta-clog new cartridges due to all the spilled ink.

I would worry it is an exercise in futility - I don't know a lot about the chemicals involved, but I'd be concerned that if the plastic bits in the well marinated in ink long enough the plastic might be permanently altered and will be perpetually sticky.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

That's from a range of HP printers that must be at least 15 years old now. If you really have to get it working then wash out the ink pads as best you can and try some rubbing alcohol on the print heads if they are crusted over, but I wouldn't be spending too much time on it.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

lol at fixing an hp inkjet, just throw it in the trash and get another garbage tier printer.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

I have a 20 year old hp inkjet sitting at my parents place, I should get it working too as a pandemic project.

zaepg
Dec 25, 2008

by sebmojo
There's a third pad behind the two I cleaned. It's inked up heavily as well. What's it's function. everything else is cleaned nicely and I want to get everything back together and get this project over with.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Just got in my mail a reminder from my Microsoft partners, Azure Universal Print goes GA in March 2021. If you are going to engage in bulk MFP purchases shortly, you might want to ask your supplier for direct compatibility if you can

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
I have a pos hp inkjet printer that I bought out of desperation when I needed to print something, and I'm looking to replace it with something decent. Looking at a brother laser printers, the HL-L2375DW looks alright. Anyone have experience using it with Linux?

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
PS this hp inkjet is easily the worst piece of hardware I've ever purchased. like selling this thing should be a crime

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
I have a Brother laser printer (scanner, and all), MFC-something, and while I think I had to install some stupid "drivers" for it, they had them on their website so it wasn't much of a hassle. I like, from that point of view, the HP printers because they come with their tools, install their drivers if they need to and generally just work under linux. Odds are (and you can check on your system) that maybe CUPS already knows about it and it will be a seamless install.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
I ended up going with a more basic Brother laser printer, the HL-L2350DW No issues whatsoever with driverless network printing from an ubuntu machine, android phone etc. Prints fast, print quality seems good (at least for the basic stuff I'm using it for), duplex works. I don't print heaps but I'm happy with it so far.

PS if you "need" colours for a graph or something, just print in bw, raid your kid's colour pencils/pens/crayons, and do some colouring in on company time. highly recommended.

Buck Turgidson fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Mar 2, 2021

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Buck Turgidson posted:

I ended up going with a more basic Brother laser printer, the HL-L2350DW No issues whatsoever with driverless network printing from an ubuntu machine, android phone etc. Prints fast, print quality seems good (at least for the basic stuff I'm using it for), duplex works. I don't print heaps but I'm happy with it so far.

PS if you "need" colours for a graph or something, just print in bw, raid your kid's colour pencils/pens/crayons, and do some colouring in on company time. highly recommended.

I didn't chime in on your question because I ended up buying an HP laser printer a few months ago, but in my experience printing from Linux has been easier than printing from Windows for a while now.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Azure Universal Print went GA yesterday, meaning everyone with a A3/5 or E3/5 can use it now. Sadly they decided to use print procesess (eg print jobs, not print pages) as payment structure. Each user provides 5 monthly print processes to the tenant pool, if you want more you need to buy addons (which add 500 pages each). IMHO numbers are too low to make it useful, anybody which has print complexity issues will require far more prints than the free quotas and asking management for funds when local print server works fine might be hard.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Mar 4, 2021

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Buck Turgidson posted:

That was my experience as well, with a 2370DW connected to a NAS box running Linux. No problems anywhere printing from various Linux, Apple, and Windows machines. Thanks, thread!

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

SlowBloke posted:

Azure Universal Print went GA yesterday, meaning everyone with a A3/5 or E3/5 can use it now. Sadly they decided to use print procesess (eg print jobs, not print pages) as payment structure. Each user provides 100 monthly print processes to the tenant pool, if you want more you need to buy addons (which add 500 pages each). IMHO numbers are too low to make it useful, anybody which has print complexity issues will require far more prints than the free quotas and asking management for funds when local print server works fine might be hard.

Those are ridiculous numbers - 5 print jobs per working day. Having people pay per-page to *use* printers they're already paying for and servicing is a really dumb pricing model.

Fortunately PaperCut Hive launches this week, is massively more feature-rich than Universal Print and priced per printer.

E: Are you sure about the 100 jobs per user figure? This page https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/universal-print/fundamentals/universal-print-license#whats-included-with-universal-print says it's only 5 jobs per month per person.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Mar 3, 2021

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

It is hilarious that Google Print was killed off and there are multitudes rushing in to fill the space. I wonder if Google fell into the the trap of thinking the fabled 'paperless office' was finally here.
On a more useful note, Papercut is dirt cheap for a print management software suite and works well, I recommend it.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Thanks Ants posted:

E: Are you sure about the 100 jobs per user figure? This page https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/universal-print/fundamentals/universal-print-license#whats-included-with-universal-print says it's only 5 jobs per month per person.

I read that number quickly in the stream of ignite news, I might have confused it. 5 print/month pretty much kills it.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Who is buying additional print capacity for their enterprise of 1000 people in 500 print job blocks as well, for gently caress's sake. Imagine having to explain that printing across your entire organisation stopped working because the person who was responsible for topping up printer credits was off sick.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

How do "print jobs" even work? Like if I print a sheet off, then I read it and see I made a typo, so I print it again is that two jobs? Meanwhile someone printing off a 300 page spreadsheet is one job?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Facebook Aunt posted:

How do "print jobs" even work? Like if I print a sheet off, then I read it and see I made a typo, so I print it again is that two jobs? Meanwhile someone printing off a 300 page spreadsheet is one job?

Each time you send poo poo to a printer -> print job. Page counts are irrelevant.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If the job never completes because the printer has a fault, that also counts as a job.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Printer Questions Threat: gently caress you Microsoft

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!

Peachfart posted:

On a more useful note, Papercut is dirt cheap for a print management software suite and works well, I recommend it.

Papercut the software is pretty great for what you pay for, and I love that I can manage color printing access through an AD security group, automap the Black and White queue out with a GPO, and automap/autounmap the color queue with a security group validated GPO.

Papercut support however has been pretty terrible in my experience. We first have to go through our vendor, whose only expertise is the initial setup. Anything else tends to leave them clueless and waste a lot of time, and its up to them to decide if escalating directly to PC support is necessary. Even when we do manage to get there, our support experience with PC hasn't been fantastic.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?

Peachfart posted:

The answer is always: if you need a printer, buy a Brother laser. If you want color... Then still buy a Brother laser, you don't need it that badly. Okay, you really want color? Are you willing to spend at least 500 bucks?

While still bulky, if you have the space, color lasers aren't that expensive anymore. I replaced my Brother B&W MFC with a Brother Color MFC not too long ago, $400 gets you a proper office level machine with office level features like scanning to email/cloud storage/USB directly from the machine (No computer needed), shortcut buttons, etc. Mine is probably complete and total overkill in size and cost for most users, arguably myself, but you can pick up a basic brother color laser for <$200.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
We picked up a basic Brother color laser (HLL3210CW, no scanning/duplexing) and it's been trouble-free for the first 1k pages. My wife uses it for her home business, so maybe 20% of that has been an assortment of label sheets as well, and it's handled them without a fuss through the manual feed and straight output tray in the back.

Only downside is that after 1k pages, the black toner claims it's empty, and the color toners aren't far behind. I'm doing my usual trick of "reset the counter and keep printing until it starts fading", so we'll see how many pages the original toners are good for. A set of high-cap toners cost about as much as the printer did, so we'd like to put them off as long as possible.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

https://twitter.com/ID_AA_Carmack/status/1370070346213294086

We have a MFC from Brother that is 11 years old I think, only thing missing is mobile device support.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I have a Brother laser printer* that is finally reaching end-of-life after about 11 years and 115k pages (well, it's about at the end of its second drum, anyway, and the toner cartridges we get have a tendency to be leaky, and the cost of maintaining it is getting prohibitive. The heart of the printer still works.)

So it looks like it's time to get a new printer.

• Is Brother still good for laser printers?
• If so, what would you recommend from them?
• If not, who would you recommend?

Any new printer would need to be able to print at 1200 DPI and connect with an Ethernet cable. Ideally it'd be about as durable as the old printer.

Bonus question: Would it be worth it to get a MFC as well, or is a dedicated printer better?

Do you have any recommendations for a good scanner, if the answer is 'dedicated printer'?

Any new scanner would need to be able to scan transparencies (film), books, and regular documents, and be able to scan at 1200 DPI.

*A HL-6050DN, in case you're curious

Quackles fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Mar 23, 2021

Nichol
May 18, 2004

Sly Dog

Three Olives posted:

While still bulky, if you have the space, color lasers aren't that expensive anymore. I replaced my Brother B&W MFC with a Brother Color MFC not too long ago, $400 gets you a proper office level machine with office level features like scanning to email/cloud storage/USB directly from the machine (No computer needed), shortcut buttons, etc. Mine is probably complete and total overkill in size and cost for most users, arguably myself, but you can pick up a basic brother color laser for <$200.
I'm shopping for one right now for my office. When the gently caress did the printer cabal decide people only needed a 250p feeder on a printer that does 30ppm?

I'm looking in Canada for a mono full duplexes (scan fax print) unit and everything under like $700 has a 250p cartridge. It is so annoying.

e: my other current peeve is the resistive touchscreen on our current HP; while kind of okay for choosing double or single sided, it is the worst thing I have ever typed a phone number into in my life.

ee: I fax like twice a day no joke

Nichol fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Mar 25, 2021

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

mobby_6kl posted:

I have a 20 year old hp inkjet sitting at my parents place, I should get it working too as a pandemic project.

I don't know if this a joke, but I wouldn't repair an inkjet. If its been sitting for a long time the feed is probably dried out and clogged. Plus you won't find replacement parts for old inkjets.

I was looking for this thread to find a good recommendation for a laserjet that is 'dumb'. As in I don't need wireless and I want to just add the driver through print management. I wish I had nabbed a HP LJ4000 (and the thousand replacement rollers we had) back when I worked at a place repairing printers.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Getting a little more serious about printer shopping after the last time I posted in here. I asked my wife if she prints in B&W or color for her job and she said B&W but that she'd like to have the option to print color. Does that mean I should just get an inkjet and buy black ink in bulk?

zaepg posted:

I'm trying to clean and fix a dirty gunky old printer, that prints in faded ink. It has trouble mostly printing black.
What is this sponge thing, what does it do?

I have an old HP Inkjet Printer I'm fixing. The blacks in the printer won't come out, if they do it's very minimal and faint. Colors are faded too but not as bad. The previous owner had a cart explode or leak. I replaced the carts so they are brand new.

Look at these images. This thing is soaked in black ink. Both of them.

Hey this is the same model of printer that I'm trying to replace lol

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

This might be a personal bias, but for professional documents laser feels so much better. Whenever I've had to print something serious or official on inkjets I've had qualms, from smeary ink to the document itself not holding up as well over time. I went with a B&W laser MFP for this reason. A quick search shows what I assume to be decent color laser printers (not MFP) down in the $200 range, so depending on budget (and workflow) it still seems reasonable to go laser.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

CaptainSarcastic posted:

This might be a personal bias, but for professional documents laser feels so much better. Whenever I've had to print something serious or official on inkjets I've had qualms, from smeary ink to the document itself not holding up as well over time. I went with a B&W laser MFP for this reason. A quick search shows what I assume to be decent color laser printers (not MFP) down in the $200 range, so depending on budget (and workflow) it still seems reasonable to go laser.

Oh I didn't notice that they make laserjets that do color. I think I could justify $200 on a printer if we get 15 years out of it like we've gotten from this HP :v

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

C-Euro posted:

Oh I didn't notice that they make laserjets that do color. I think I could justify $200 on a printer if we get 15 years out of it like we've gotten from this HP :v

I'd price out the consumables against the volume of printing being done, but I can't imagine a Brother laser is going to be less cost-effective than any inkjet.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Is this a place I can ask about fonts and font faces? I've got a bunch of 3rd party fonts, some of which are just flipped and rotated versions of each other. They aren't naturally listed in Windows as font faces, is there a way I can tell the built-in font manager that fonts "x flipped", "x rotated 90," "x inverted," are font faces of Font X?

(For reference, the font is a dungeon tile set, purchased from Dungeonmorphs: https://inkwellideas.com/dungeonmorphs/ )

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

In 2020, we're going to make the end of Fight Club real.
My girlfriend and I are looking for a printer/all-in-one for our home office which I'll also be using for my new business

Definitely need duplex print, duplex scan would be nice, and I'm leaning toward laser since most of the use will be for documents

She would need it for printing documents and things like that

I would need it mostly for printing documents, technical documentation as well. However, I'd also like to use it to print marketing flyers / one-pagers (with color). It would also be convenient for me if I could print on A6 sized paper occasionally. Never tried to run anything but letter/a4 through a printer so that's something I know nothing about (I know nothing about printers)

We both would also like to use it to scan documents etc

Right now, I'm looking at something like the Brother MFC-L3750CDW, although I'm not married to that at all (again, I know nothing about printers)

How's the color printing on Laser/LED printers? Would it do "nice" marketing flyers on glossy paper?

I think I want to get a color all in one for documents and technical documentation in general, even if it doesn't end up being capable of doing the flyers. Any insight there would be cool

For the marketing flyers, if it makes more sense, I could get a second printer or just put in orders at the FedEx store or whatever and pick them up. I haven't gotten any quotes on that yet. But if the up-front cost and supplies aren't too prohibitive to justify it, I'd rather just have one unit instead of running multiple / having to do milk runs to a vendor for poo poo

Any help is super appreciated, thanks