Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
those are almost certainly not bakeable, just gotta wear em

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

It should bake fine?

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Gunshow Poophole posted:

^ lol sup Vegans :hfive:

no i did not, I live far from the nearest sporting goods store. ordered online.

Is baking necessary? from what I understand it just hastens the break-in process. these are Supreme X37s

First, I assume you're talking about the Bauer Supreme s37? If so, they are able to be baked.

As for the ankle padding I assume you're referring to these achilles area pads?

You may just not be used to hockey skates. Those bulky pads by your achilles are what will make those skates comfortable. They'll brace your ankle from the hard rear of the skate and help keep your ankle stable in the boot. They'll likely squish down and get softer over time. They help keep your foot centered in the boot and your heel locked in, and protect the back of your heel/ankle from rubbing against the hard boot. You will also really appreciate their existence if you take a shot to the protruding bone of your ankle.

Baking isn't necessary but it can improve the fit or feel of your skates dramatically. It used to only be available on top end skates and has made its way down to entry level options. It softens up the materials and adhesives, allowing it to custom form to your foot when warm, and upon cooling everything hardens back up again and retains that custom shape hopefully improving comfort and reducing any hot spots which might cause blisters. Its less about speeding up the break-in period and more about custom fitting which should help eliminate the break in period all together. Honestly though, most modern skates are so comfortable right from the start that break-in periods are non-existent or minimal at best unless you have really unique feet or too small of a skate.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
usually skates with "memory foam" are not bakeable. I'd double check any instructions or whatever came with them before you put them in the oven.

edit - looks like it is only the footbed? I dunno. it won't hurt anything to try at least.

bewbies fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Feb 8, 2021

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

FWIW, you can bake your skates at home in your oven. There should be a guide that google can turn up. I've done this before.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Yeah, sorry, S37s. it's very likely I'm not used to hockey skates it's been almost 20 years since I was regularly on ice.

hmm thanks y'all, it's... not fuckin cold enough to skate here right now so I have some time to experiment. pretty sure I got the length/width correct based on the guide in this thread (also great!).

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

S37s aren’t entry tier skates, they’re able to be baked.

Take the foot beds out and google the guide, it’ll make a huge difference.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Haha ASHL sent out their "we're back" email today, league starts April 5th, no masks required on the ice but must be worn in building.

Get hosed with that, there's no way vaccine uptake will be high enough yet.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
I told my league's manager that I would not step foot on the ice until I am fully vaccinated. I'm guessing a bunch of the other captains said the same thing because I haven't heard from them since.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
It seems about 50/50 here. There are so many people who don't give a poo poo and just want to play. Others are very much not wanting to play until vaccinated.

I'm curious when games will actually start up again.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Got my second dose of Moderna on Saturday. Still not going back to play until vaccines are ubiquitous.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Verman posted:

It seems about 50/50 here. There are so many people who don't give a poo poo and just want to play. Others are very much not wanting to play until vaccinated.

I'm curious when games will actually start up again.

Was supposed to be yesterday until Snowpocalypse hit. I'm already getting sub requests so I'm guessing a bunch of goalies are saying no thanks in the current COVID climate (as am I).

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Anyone go to pbr this year?

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Not personally but I see a lot of people from my league that went as well as a teammate or two.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Got two assists and a goal the other night, that was fun :unsmith: First time I didn't feel like a complete liability on the ice.

Also fun to see that, unlike our previous game, that everyone was wearing masks and not being turds about it.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Season started last night. It was hilarious how rusty most people were, and we played the team that has won the past 5 championships and ended up tying them.

Near the end of the game, they had a breakaway from the wing. One of our forwards backchecked them and ended up putting some body into him, and they both went down. It wasn't anything too bad, but definitely a penalty. Our guy gets 2 for roughing. Other dude was mad as hell, picked up our guy's stick and threw it over the glass. Except there's netting above the glass, so it just bounced off and fell back down onto the ice. He gets 2 for unsportsmanlike and looking like a total doofus.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Feb 17, 2021

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
Did he then proceed to poo poo in his glove after failing to throw the stick out? God that was such a funny story.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
poo poo glove is legendary.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Season started last night. It was hilarious how rusty most people were, and we played the team that has won the past 5 championships and ended up tying them.

Near the end of the game, they had a breakaway from the wing. One of our forwards backchecked them and ended up putting some body into him, and they both went down. It wasn't anything too bad, but definitely a penalty. Our guy gets 2 for roughing. Other dude was mad as hell, picked up our guy's stick and threw it over the glass. Except there's netting above the glass, so it just bounced off and fell back down onto the ice. He gets 2 for unsportsmanlike and looking like a total doofus.

It happened again? :stare:
https://i.imgur.com/0XH6mWe.mp4

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Slightly different, but another time, when I had the free time to edit videos:
https://youtu.be/eKBA9pBBljQ

And yeah, that goal definitely shouldn’t have been good. We’ll take it though.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
I just looked it up and the last time I set foot on the Ice was March 10, 2020. Coming up on one year. :(

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I just hit one year, my last game was March 1.

Vaccine distribution is too slow, hurry up science!! Season starts April 5 and it takes 6 weeks for both injections and a 2 week buffer, so there's already no way I make that. But I'd at least like to be able to sub once May starts.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
I went to a public skate on Sunday, I was fortunate enough to get both shots already. It had been almost a year since I was last on the ice and it felt good to get skating.

I did break out my goal to practice some shooting and out 2.5 year old daughter helped retrieve pucks for me. She also wanted to play hockey so I took a broken stick and taped something up for her. She kept asking to play hockey so I bought her a knee ball set and she spent an hour running around hitting the ball. She also decided to take the ball and stick to bed with her last night.

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009

calandryll posted:

I went to a public skate on Sunday, I was fortunate enough to get both shots already. It had been almost a year since I was last on the ice and it felt good to get skating.

I did break out my goal to practice some shooting and out 2.5 year old daughter helped retrieve pucks for me. She also wanted to play hockey so I took a broken stick and taped something up for her. She kept asking to play hockey so I bought her a knee ball set and she spent an hour running around hitting the ball. She also decided to take the ball and stick to bed with her last night.

Hope you enjoy spending the next 14 years waking up at 4am to drive her to hockey practice until she gets her license and can drive herself.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
I'm up that early anyway. My wife is mad because she doesn't seem to interested in what my wife is, i.e. dancing. Her favorite movies right now are Iron Giant and Frozen.

She also already has her celly down:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

calandryll posted:

Ha, my 2yo daughter loves retrieving pucks as well. It's super cute.
My 2yo son runs around and hits everything with his hockey stick. The Christmas tree was his favorite target, trying to knock ornaments off.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

who else is doing pbr 2022? My large adult sons and my la team are both registered.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I just looked it up and the last time I set foot on the Ice was March 10, 2020. Coming up on one year. :(

It's been a year and 2 weeks for me. :smith:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

sellouts posted:

who else is doing pbr 2022? My large adult sons and my la team are both registered.

My team has always wanted to go back, but we could never all make it work with kids and whatnot.

I haven't used my tinted visor since :(

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

calandryll posted:

I'm up that early anyway. My wife is mad because she doesn't seem to interested in what my wife is, i.e. dancing. Her favorite movies right now are Iron Giant and Frozen.

She also already has her celly down:

:3:

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

My team has always wanted to go back, but we could never all make it work with kids and whatnot.

never ever sex imo

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Children are holding none of Jake! and His Large Adult Sons back.

sellouts posted:

never ever sex imo

This is also true for the rest of the team.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I'm scheduled for a vaccine tomorrow afternoon which hopefully means I can step back on the ice in 12-16 weeks. I should maybe like, start walking or something to acclimate my body to the rigors of actual physical activity.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I thought I had a good exercise routine going, my resting heart rate is going down, I'm burning through lunges like a pro, and you can see muscle through the blubber.

And then I cleaned and polished the shooting pad for the first time in like four months to take some shots. Within 5 minutes I found a muscle group I'd been ignoring: my back. I am not ready for a proper hockey position. I thought planks were enough, but guess what, they aren't.

Vaccines are real frustrating right now, every morning at 6am the various regional sites post appointment availability and they're either filled immediately or the server crashes.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Vargatron posted:

I'm scheduled for a vaccine tomorrow afternoon which hopefully means I can step back on the ice in 12-16 weeks. I should maybe like, start walking or something to acclimate my body to the rigors of actual physical activity.

It’s like a month between shots and a month after that tops to build immunity. 16 weeks seems very conservative.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Chemmy posted:

It’s like a month between shots and a month after that tops to build immunity. 16 weeks seems very conservative.

The J&J one is single dose and takes 2 weeks to show effectiveness and 4 weeks to hit maximum.

The current guidance for "max effectiveness" of the Pfizer and Moderna ones are 2 weeks after the second dose (with at least 17 days between doses).

So 16 weeks is too conservative. :v: 6 weeks is enough for Pfizer and Moderna. J&J is 2 weeks if you're really chomping at the bit to get out there but a month is smarter.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Well, I'm also factoring in living in SC and assuming there's going to be some insane backlog in actually getting the second vaccine. But hey, 4 to 6 weeks ain't bad.

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.
My one year hockeyversary is March 8th.

God I can't wait to get back on the ice. I've lost like 20 pounds in the pandemic, my hip flexibility is better due to standing desk + yoga, and I'm not worried about my lower back since I've been doing deadlifts ;)

Live in a condo though, so no opportunity to shoot pucks unfortunately.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I started playing a VR boxing game and doing three 2-minute rounds put me on my rear end. But I'm sure doing 8-10 90-second shifts when I'm back at hockey will be no problem...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LowOnCyan
Feb 29, 2016

None of this matters

prom candy posted:

I started playing a VR boxing game and doing three 2-minute rounds put me on my rear end. But I'm sure doing 8-10 90-second shifts when I'm back at hockey will be no problem...

One thing I'm wondering about VR Boxing is if I'm punching the air and there's nothing to stop the punch, am I potentially messing up my rotator cuff/other joints?

It'd be cool if I could incorporate a bag to punch against maybe.