Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Well I don’t know about you guys but I think it’s about Kha’ak time again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Kha'ak o' clock

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Kha'ak with a hard ak.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I'm looking forward to starting a new game and being an arms dealer again.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
:hmmyes::hmmyes::hmmyes::hmmyes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoYQ91mjM9k

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal
How does Explore differ from Fly [to place] and wait? My pilots don't seem to move at all once there.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
Ok I gave my miners a chance to level up on their own just to see how slow it was and its drat slow.

It's mod time. What is the preferred XP mod these days?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Antigravitas posted:

I do appreciate the game just flat out saying that a good reason for instigating sectarian conflict is selling arms to both sides. It's explicitly spelled out in the mission text if I remember correctly. I felt really seen when I read it, because that was exactly my criterium for deciding. Don't want an NPC faction to get too powerful and become difficult to oppose, after all.

Also, no peace. Peace is bad for profits.

I mean this is literally 90% of the economy, a lot of intermediate steps towards building ships to kill other ships, supplying both sides only increases the demand! It's like bitcoin, but powered directly by shoveling all the resources and people into the furnace.

I'm not entirely sure that the entire game isn't just a stealth effort to convince you that space capitalism is absolutely stupid.

Oh dear me posted:

How does Explore differ from Fly [to place] and wait? My pilots don't seem to move at all once there.

Explore I beleive gets them to fly around in a radius around the point.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
It just surprised me because it's a textual acknowledgement that you, the player, is an utterly amoral villain purposefully destabilising the known world so you can sell weapons to everyone. Everything you typically do in an X game is dystopic as hell. Becoming a megacorp with enough industrial capacity to produce a private army that can outgun governments…

We are totally the baddies here.

Re: explore, you can set a radius for them to uncover. The default may be a little small.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

How do you change that radius? I haven't had any luck with it.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Antigravitas posted:

Re: explore, you can set a radius for them to uncover. The default may be a little small.

Oh! Thanks for that, I have made progress!

E: ^^^ right-click your ship, select Information, click the Behaviours button and then expand Explore, you'll see the Radius option.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.
Did they ever fix explore taking forever? As I recall, most of the time ships with that command set would either sit still or move incredibly slowly.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think they changed it a while ago, it certainly uncovers decent map chunks last I used it.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

chglcu posted:

Did they ever fix explore taking forever? As I recall, most of the time ships with that command set would either sit still or move incredibly slowly.

Higher pilot levels make them go faster. I've never had a problem with them doing it eventually, I just leave them to do it for an hour while I'm doing other stuff.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

It's still insane to me that they never changed pilots skilling up to something totally sensible.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

cheesetriangles posted:

It's still insane to me that they never changed pilots skilling up to something totally sensible.
I fought with the devs on this in their forum and they think a single 3-star pilot after a hundred hours in a save is fine and normal.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Alright, what's the cool and good mod that makes training take a normal, human amount of time instead of whatever stupid bullshit the developers think?

I don't want it to be obviously-cheating fast, just...normal.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Mar 4, 2021

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Squiggle posted:

Alright, what's the cool and good mod that makes training take a normal, human amount of time instead of whatever stupid bullshit the developers think?

This seems balanced and more fair:
https://www.nexusmods.com/x4foundations/mods/8

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

cheesetriangles posted:

You have to understand that they are Germans and this is the only thing they play all day.

For now, using the mod is fine but I'm afraid that the devs might actually expand the Venture features more in the next year (they've hinted heavily to doing more with the online portion) to be pretty cool and using mods would permanently lock you out of it.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Solid, thanks.

Thom12255 posted:

You have to understand that they are Germans and this is the only thing they play all day.

For now, using the mod is fine but I'm afraid that the devs might actually expand the Venture features more in the next year (they've hinted heavily to doing more with the online portion) to be pretty cool and using mods would permanently lock you out of it.

If it really WOULD take 40 million trades to reach 5 stars, as I saw in some number-crunching post (and I'm not sure that's true!), then even they can't be stupid enough to think that's fine.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

This is what I was looking for as well. Did I ask the question wrong?

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Nope just missed the question :)

timn
Mar 16, 2010

Squiggle posted:

There's another mod here which is nice alternative because it doesn't make crew passively increase all of their skills regardless of what their actual job is.

Thom12255 posted:

We should be thankful we at least have the option to opt into singleplayer-only with a mod community to fix game design issues, unlike a certain other open world space game. :frontear:

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

Less Fat Luke posted:

Nope just missed the question :)

Oh ok. I was worried I was being a dummy. Thanks for the tip. :)

Travic fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Mar 4, 2021

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

They are bafflingly disconnected from the player experience at times, it's true.

Imo skill stars are just a bad mechanic. They are always either going to be very gameable and thus achieve nothing besides wasting time or they are going to be the onerous nigh-unusable system they have now. The band-aid seminars are annoying even to use. I'm sympathetic to the devs trying to put some brake on auto trading but this wasnt the way to do it.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
It also leads to scenarios where behaviours are gated by if statements based on the star levels, so you're never sure if something like Patrol is broken (it is) because the devs will say "did you try it with 4 or 5 star pilot".

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The whole thing about giving stuff bad AI if it has few stars just makes the game have bad AI most of the time.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

just got this game, first mission I did after learning the controls was to blow up a bunch of laser towers, which didn't even shoot at me for 230000k

rules lol

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
Keep checking back to see if they made weapons and engines actually light up the dang ships. Continually perplexed how they had that in 1999 but not now

back to freespace 2 then!

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
So station building. I was planning on starting with refined metals since I've heard that's a good place to start. Does this look like a good station?

My idea was to put one energy cell plant then add as many production modules as that could support. Then add a habitat for the production bonus.

Travic fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Mar 4, 2021

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Looks solid. I usually skip habitats til midgame but if you have the blueprint already go for it!

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

so how do I do autotrading, I got a medium transport ready to go and I don't see any options for it

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Agean90 posted:

so how do I do autotrading, I got a medium transport ready to go and I don't see any options for it
Make sure the pilot's "combined skill" shows three stars, and then in the Info section for the ship change the default behaviour to Auto-Trade. Then select a home sector, wares and range and click "Confirm".

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Well deleted all my save games. Ready to start fresh for Cradle of Humanity. Looking forward to it.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Agean90 posted:

Wait 200 hours until you get a 3-star pilot (not a joke lol). Right now it makes more sense to build a station with a manager on it and attach some miners to it - you can then sell those resources with your own traders by assigning them to the station or NPC traders will come buy it. You can also add more modules to process those resources to a higher tier of product and then sell those too. Manager's get up to 4 stars very quickly and all the ships attached to that managers station will operate as if they have the same pilot star level as the manager has stars in their manager skill.

Thom12255 fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Mar 4, 2021

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Is the station you get in the young gun questlome good for that? I got a whole rear end miner in exchange for some putting up some cheap defense stuff for the argon

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Agean90 posted:

Is the station you get in the young gun questlome good for that? I got a whole rear end miner in exchange for some putting up some cheap defense stuff for the argon

I don't remember a young gun questline, you sure it wasn't just a random mission you can pick up? Unless you mean the HQ with the Boron you save? The HQ is in a good galactic position due to how jumps are calculated, a 5 star manager will let your miners and traders reach most of the current universe and get trade from all factions but the split to the North. Not sure how the new Terran systems will integrate into that. I'm also not sure how resources in Grand Exchange are looking in 4.0 so you might want to fly around and place some resource probes.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

is there a way to have an ai scout drop probes for me?

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

a refined metals station right next to the reach in argon prime is pretty dope. the reach is just packed with ore and ore alone, so you can just shove a ton of miners in there to feed it.

upgrade it to a hull parts station after that to make even more moola.

edit: put some protection in the reach tho.

queeb fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Mar 4, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Agean90 posted:

is there a way to have an ai scout drop probes for me?

You can load up a bunch of resource probes onto one of your ships and queue up orders for that Captain to fly around a sector dropping the probe wherever you click, they get it done pretty fast. You can do this with any deployable.