Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

The weight chef’s restaurant Zero Zero is pretty good. Ate there after coaching a hockey game next door in the before times. Good cocktails.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

My brother got me a set of these press weights and they're pretty awesome:

https://www.thechefspress.com

Highly recommended if you're in the market for a vented weight for things like steaks and sandwiches.

*me, an idiot, whisking eggs* "This is nice."

*you, a genius* "Why aren't you just using this ball of wire on a stick?

xtal posted:

You, an idiot, taking a shower

Me, a genius, washing myself with a rag on a stick

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

you, idiot, wiping your rear end with TP

me, genious ancient roman, wiping my rear end with a poo poo encrusted sponge on a stick I share with the boys

Look at these pagans hooting at hollering at a golden calf when I come down from the mountain with stone tablets

The chef press is 13 ounces. That’s almost light enough to be mailed with stamps

If you want to press your meat like a big boy, you want something that’s 4 pounds, something that will get full contact between the meat and pan no matter how thick the meat is. You need cast iron. Or a brick covered in foil.

If you put a 13 ounce weight in your pan it’s going to ask the same thing your date did on prom night: “is it in yet?”

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Ultra Carp

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Ultra Carp
lmao if you've never coathangered an omelet. just lmao

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

xtal posted:

I've been trying unsuccessfully to find a Canadian hookup for those

not as fancy but unlike a brick these have handles:

lodge, $36, a kilo-ish: https://www.amazon.ca/Lodge-LGP3-Pr...64NGZZC8C5&th=1

victoria, $27, a kilo-ish: https://www.amazon.ca/Victoria-Weig...64NGZZC8C5&th=1

cuisinart, big, $36, 2.4 kilos: https://www.amazon.ca/Cuisinart-CGP...-garden&sr=1-11

lodge, round, $36, 2.04 kilos: https://www.amazon.ca/Lodge-LGPR3-L...-garden&sr=1-20

cuisinart, medium, $22, 1.3 kilos: https://www.amazon.ca/Cuisinart-CGP...n-garden&sr=1-4

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Your local kitchen warehouse supply almost certainly has a WinCo/nameless brand one for $8 or some poo poo as well.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I have the lodge one as well but it's too big for my standard cast iron skillets so these little dudes are perfect for that.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i mean some of those are 4x6 so really should fit in anything you're frying meat in

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

I have the lodge one as well but it's too big for my standard cast iron skillets so these little dudes are perfect for that.

I have the Cuisinart one with the same problem :(

Compared to the chefs press, it doesn't have variable weight or steam vents

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

personally i don't think the variable weight is an issue because i think those others are mostly too light. you could get around the steam thing with a couple of bamboo skewers, i expect, though i wouldn't personally bother.

as for sizing i bet using these things on griddle is pretty baller

Flunky
Jan 2, 2014

found a really great deal on a food press, check it out

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Flunky posted:

found a really great deal on a food press, check it out

Is the tiny disc insert so they can make it a precision weight? Jesus.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I loving love chicken - my partner and I eat an absolutely absurd amount of it, at least once a day. I am honestly kind of tempted by the Instant Vortex solely for its rotisserie chicken function. I don't suppose any goons have experience with this?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

no but it’s probably fine.

tbh i kind of want this newish cuisinart deep fryer that can do chickens and turkeys by slowly rotating them in a thinner volume of hot oil

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

I think mine is lost somewhere in my parents' oven warming drawer for the past few years and I really should dig it out.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Not gonna link it here, but I'm selling my Edge Pro Apex 3 knife sharpening system over in SA Mart in case anyone's interested.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

mediaphage posted:

personally i don't think the variable weight is an issue because i think those others are mostly too light. you could get around the steam thing with a couple of bamboo skewers, i expect, though i wouldn't personally bother.

as for sizing i bet using these things on griddle is pretty baller

the variable weight thing is definitely really weird. help me out here, maybe i'm forgetting something, but what exactly are lighter weights needed for? it feels like this was created very specifically for grilled cheese and melts. maybe some fish? i guess a pub-style burger where you don't want to squish it but you do want it making good contact? idk, it feels like an ovepriced gadget that uses marketing speak to invent its own use.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I just used the light ones to help me toast a burrito on cast iron without absolutely crushing it. And then I used the weights on each side to help me stand it up and get the sides toasty too.

All in all, a fine gift that I use a lot. I also make a lot of toasted burritos and grilled cheese sandwiches and split hot dogs.

Maybe if you have a seven year old your mileage goes further.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

so what I’m getting is I should have a brick covered in tinfoil and a thinner brick covered in tinfoil

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

You can actually get tiles that look like bricks now. Maybe check with your local mason?

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012
Any recommendations for woks for induction?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

vuk83 posted:

can you even use a wok well on induction when it isn't a wok induction burner? don't a lot of induction setups just turn off if you move a pan off at all

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

vuk83 posted:

I used this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B088PGH81Q/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 which worked fine but I guess it's out of stock. Basically try to find a carbon steel wok with a flat bottom and you should be fine.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Any recommendations for a chamber vacuum sealer?

You can get chinese knockoffs on amazon for $335: https://www.amazon.com/Machine-Commercial-Desktop-Chamber-Sealing/dp/B089W65GC7/

Or Costco has a "Maxvac Pro" for $600. Also basically a chinese knockoff, but, costco. https://www.costco.com/maxvac-pro-chamber-vacuum-sealer.product.100536866.html

Or at the high end there is the Vacmaster VP215: https://www.amazon.com/VacMaster-VP215-Chamber-Vacuum-Sealer/dp/B005ETDKEA

Just get the one for $336?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Paul MaudDib posted:

Any recommendations for a chamber vacuum sealer?

You can get chinese knockoffs on amazon for $335: https://www.amazon.com/Machine-Commercial-Desktop-Chamber-Sealing/dp/B089W65GC7/

Or Costco has a "Maxvac Pro" for $600. Also basically a chinese knockoff, but, costco. https://www.costco.com/maxvac-pro-chamber-vacuum-sealer.product.100536866.html

Or at the high end there is the Vacmaster VP215: https://www.amazon.com/VacMaster-VP215-Chamber-Vacuum-Sealer/dp/B005ETDKEA

Just get the one for $336?

i am frankly skeptical of how good anything that is drastically cheaper than the vacmaster is going to be

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
Would it be dumb to get a pot, or Dutch oven specifically, that's bigger than my electric ceramic hob? My biggest one is just under 19cm (~7.4 inches) wide and I have a stainless steel saucepan that fits it, the largest one I could find in a shop, but it's much too small for batch cooking meals recipes. I'm constantly filling it up to the brim or having to use less liquid in stews. I know an oversized pan is going to give me cold spots and I'll still have to sear in batches for example, making it kind of pointless outside of the extra capacity. Should I just try and find a much taller stock pot that also fits in my oven so it can hold more and braise in there but still have to cook in batches?

Also, gently caress the pots and pans industry. Why is measuring the opening at the top of the pan the standard when it's probably the most useless bit of information you can give me about a pan? I could find two 24cm wide pans and they'd could both have differently sized bases. It's fine if you have gas burners but I don't, so I have to go into the shop with a tape measure and measure all the bottoms of the pan like a loving bellend because absolutely none of them give you that information.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
The element is still going to transfer heat to the pot so I don’t see what you are concerned about.

You can put a great big pot on a little tiny element and it will heat up eventually.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

doesn't sound dumb at all, having a big pot is widely agreed to be Good

eke out fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Mar 4, 2021

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

love big pots

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

jokes aside, buy like a 6 quart enameled cast iron dutch oven and you can use it for everything and it will last for decades

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

Murgos posted:

The element is still going to transfer heat to the pot so I don’t see what you are concerned about.

You can put a great big pot on a little tiny element and it will heat up eventually.

Won't the part directly above the electric hob be super hot and the circle around it won't be? and it won't match the centre spot's temperature in a reasonable amount of heating time, or possibly ever - and cook food unevenly?

...or am I just making a bigger deal out of that problem than it actually is?

uhhhhahhhhohahhh fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Mar 4, 2021

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

That's not a big problem. Yeah it won't work for pancakes, but for searing stuff before braising it just means you stir every couple minutes (after the first piece of meat releases)

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
On something like cast iron, which has high thermal density but low conductivity, your small electric hob will slowly but relatively evenly heat your pan. If you had a pure aluminum pan, which has high conductivity but low thermal density, your small hob area will be noticeably hotter than the rest of the pan, and quickly. Something that mixes materials, like clad steel, will heat up pretty quickly and evenly, but not as good as either cast iron or aluminum at either extreme. In general, the cast iron and clad varieties are most useful. The best use case for aluminum pots I can think of off the top of my head would be boiling water, where the point is simply to dump Joules into water as quickly as possible.

Edit: nope wrong

Lawnie fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Mar 4, 2021

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

That is an old wives tale. Cast iron hot spots worse than steel or aluminum:

https://cookingissues.com/2010/02/16/heavy-metal-the-science-of-cast-iron-cooking/

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Yeah, low conductivity means heat can’t spread wider than the thickness of the pan easily.

Stupid Decisions
Nov 10, 2009
Slippery Tilde

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

Won't the part directly above the electric hob be super hot and the circle around it won't be? and it won't match the centre spot's temperature in a reasonable amount of heating time, or possibly ever - and cook food unevenly?

But this would be an issue with any pan on any type of burner? Gas rings in donuts, electric elements in whatever shape they use or induction in circles. If you would use the space in a larger dutch oven then go for it, the convenience of having the space is far greater than occasionally having to sear in batches.

My large dutch oven goes from the oven to the smallest gas burner and everything inbetween depending on what is cooking.

Stupid Decisions fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Mar 4, 2021

Dead Of Winter
Dec 17, 2003

It's morning again in America.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

Yes. You may have to make a few compromises or adjust your technique in some instances -- watching the pan a bit more closely, stirring a saute more often, or searing meat in more batches -- but a pan that heats a bit unevenly isn't going to ruin your dinner in the vast majority of situations.

I mean, as long as the setup isn't obvious lunacy -- like putting a 18" cast iron skillet on a 6" burner -- it shouldn't be a problem. Putting a 12-inch pan on an 8-inch burner is perfectly normal.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Easily resolved by putting a 10" skillet inside your 12" skillet inside your 14" inside your 16" on top of your 8" electric element.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

Dead Of Winter posted:

Yes. You may have to make a few compromises or adjust your technique in some instances -- watching the pan a bit more closely, stirring a saute more often, or searing meat in more batches -- but a pan that heats a bit unevenly isn't going to ruin your dinner in the vast majority of situations.

I mean, as long as the setup isn't obvious lunacy -- like putting a 18" cast iron skillet on a 6" burner -- it shouldn't be a problem. Putting a 12-inch pan on an 8-inch burner is perfectly normal.

Seems like my best option is a correctly sized steel stockpot that will also fit in my oven?... but I can see it being an issue trying to find one sides that are thick enough to prevent scorching.