Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Safari Disco Lion posted:

If I tried to move it from being plugged into my Switch to plugging it into my PC and back again, something along the way would stop working and I'd have to gently caress with it for a while. Maybe if I removed DS4Windows that would help actually.

If you're not already doing it, I would consider using x-input mode when it's attached to the PC. It should technically be usable in switch mode, but there's more issues with Steam compatibility and if using separate modes for the switch and pc might solve the connection issues? Just turn it off and hold start+X to turn it back on in x-input mode or start+Y to turn it on in Switch mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Rhythm Doctor is phenomenal. It starts off about as simple as a rhythm game could possibly be: hit a button every 7th beat. But then it just keeps adding layers and layers on top of it. A good comparison is Rhythm Heaven, in that they both take simple, approachable rhythm mechanics and get as creative as possible. However, whereas Rhythm Heaven will introduce new concepts with entirely new minigames, Rhythm Doctor sticks to the single core game of the heartbeat monitor and adds new mechanics on top of it. It'll introduce new characters with their own associated rhythms and make you play to their beat along with the characters you're familiar with. It'll introduce a character with swing rhythms and soon enough you'll have to watch out for them from anywhere. It'll add a new kind of heartbeat that plays considerably differently... and then add that on top of the normal beats.

And then there's the visual creativity, holy moly. Every stage, even right from level 1, takes the seemingly simplistic visuals of the heartbeat monitor and adds some kind of spice to it. Characters will bob to the beat and pan around the screen, the game will "glitch" and becoming so distorted that you'll need to rely wholly on your internal clock, and in some particularly memorable levels the game window itself will start zooming all around your monitor. It's just so playful, it throws itself completely into the music and I love it.

I can't wait to see where they go with this game throughout Early Access. There is so much you can do with the concept - fans have already proven that by using the extremely powerful level editor to do absolutely ridiculous things:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydM6hHMqY1Q

Pigbuster fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Mar 3, 2021

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Yeah that's definitely on the wishlist. Hell of an impressive showing for a custom level, but I get the feeling it's gonna be hard to find music that's well suited to making custom levels for this.

On another note... I finally tried it, and what on Earth is the obsession with Gunfire Reborn? :psyduck: Anaemic gunplay, anaemic visuals, anaemic sound design, barely any level design to speak of, AI is either "stand and shoot" or "move at player" depending on whether they're gun or melee enemies, upgrades both in-run and persistent are the most unimaginative incremental tripe, it's like a mobile game but without the horrendous microtransactions. I cannot find a single standout quality in this. It's the most "unflavored rice cake" shooter I've ever played.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

MonkeyforaHead posted:

Yeah that's definitely on the wishlist. Hell of an impressive showing for a custom level, but I get the feeling it's gonna be hard to find music that's well suited to making custom levels for this.

I thought the same but I was surprised how flexible the system can be. This song for example goes all over the place but they managed to make it work super well throughout:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhC_8I3vWV8

Thinking about making something myself sorta makes my head spin, though. Unlike a lot of rhythm game editors you can't just plop notes down, you need to make the cues work, too. But on the plus side you get an editor powerful enough to make a drat fight scene lmao. And from what I've seen the editor is user-friendly enough that doing this stuff isn't as hard as you'd expect, either.

Pigbuster fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Mar 3, 2021

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

This game really knows what I'm all about.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1360270/Gem_Wizards_Tactics/

http://keithburgun.net/gem-wizards-tactics-introduces-derbys-story/

quote:

I’m super excited to announce that today, as of the latest patch (1.10) that Gem Wizards Tactics has a new mode: Derby’s Story. Since launch about two weeks ago, one of the common things I heard was something along these lines: “The tutorial is really easy and simple, but then the game throws you into Campaign or Match mode, and it’s a bit overwhelming“. So over the last week or so I’ve been working 12-15 hour days every day to get a new mode added to the game!

Derby’s Story is somewhere in between the difficulty and complexity of Tutorial, and the easiest Campaign or Custom modes. It also importantly gives players the opportunity to be introduced to the Gem Wizards Universe in a way that wasn’t possible with the other modes. Derby’s Story features cutscenes, illustrations, new settings, new music, and new characters with new abilities. Most prominent of these is Derby Pocket, the main character in the story.

I continue to enjoy this game as a highly positional-based tactical challenge as your moves push and pull units around a lot, and to win it's typically about getting a unit off of a castle and sitting on it for a turn - or killing a big boss unit. Good stuff.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
How do I stop the "You have given an award" spam emails? Haven't found an option to disable them...

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/DominicTarason/status/1367186721167794179

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Ambaire posted:

How do I stop the "You have given an award" spam emails? Haven't found an option to disable them...

be less popular

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

be less popular

Those can be disabled. I'm talking about the emails I get when I give awards out.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

stop giving awards

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

Ambaire posted:

Those can be disabled. I'm talking about the emails I get when I give awards out.

They may have a legal obligation to notify you when you spend any kind of store currency. I don't think there's any way to disable purchase notifications/receipts either.

So, an update on Cyber Hook: The third level in the "Mastering" tier (Master Airbender) is an utter :wtf: difficulty spike that then just as quickly goes away again afterwards. To illustrate, I'll use the leaderboard metrics: the first level in the game has 7195 leaderboard entries. This tapers off consistently level over level, as much as 100 at a time, until there's ~1600 entries, dropping by about 5 per level. 1605 people have completed the level before Master Airbender. 1104 have completed Master Airbender itself. :stare: (And anything that comes after it, because you need to at least beat each level to unlock the next.)

MonkeyforaHead fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Mar 3, 2021

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

That is really awesome. Good for him he absolutely deserves it.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Psycho Landlord posted:

stop giving awards

Mini-Profile Background 2000 points
Animated Stickers 8000 points
Awards 36000 points
Animated Avatar 2000 points
someone who is good at the Steam Community economy please help me budget this. my family is dying

Arleneth
Apr 28, 2010

Mierenneuker posted:

Mini-Profile Background 2000 points
Animated Stickers 8000 points
Awards 36000 points
Animated Avatar 2000 points
someone who is good at the Steam Community economy please help me budget this. my family is dying

Glad I was not the only one to think of that.

In other news, The Sinking City has now been pulled from Steam for the 3rd time.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Ambaire posted:

Set up a rule in whatever your email client is to mark it as read on receipt and file it in a subfolder :shrug:

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
more like The Stinking City

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

Nacon v Frogwares about now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JS52pzE1uhY

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Arleneth posted:

In other news, The Sinking City has now been pulled from Steam for the 3rd time.

The back and forth on this is amazing. It even prompted Valve to respond directly, something they almost never do: https://www.vice.com/en/article/epdw7p/the-sinking-city-developer-uses-dmca-to-remove-its-own-game-from-steam

quote:

"The Sinking City has been in dispute in French courts for a while," said Valve VP of marketing Doug Lombardi in a statement to VICE Games. "An interim decision last fall appeared to give Nacon the right to distribute the game on Steam while the litigation proceeded. However, today we received a DMCA take-down notice for the version that Nacon recently shipped, so we have responded to that notice."

And of course there's been the obligatory statements from both parties, sniping at each other. That said, the evidence against Nacon is very damning.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I really appreciated Nacon's "Yes we did all the crimes, and?" response.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I bought this thanks to the early demo and this post reminding me how good it is. It's really good, for something with literally one control, it's great fun.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Orv posted:

I really appreciated Nacon's "Yes we did all the crimes, and?" response.

They're benefiting immensely from very friendly french business laws they are taking full advantage of to avoid paying a non-french company.

It doesn't seem like they expect to face any consequences so I really doubt this is the first time they've pulled this poo poo on a smaller developer and basically gotten off scot free.

I really can't imagine anything more damning to trying to sell a pirated copy of a game containing content you don't have the legal rights for, so it's not like Nacon even remotely cares about getting caught.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Mar 3, 2021

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

It's really bizarre that Nacon did what they did, if they do have the legal right as they claim you'd think they would just go back to the court and get an order for Frogwares to turn over a new version for Steam(unless they already lost as Frogwares claims). Interested to see if Nacon has it in them to file a counter-notice and open up the copyright infringement claim in the US.

In any case, this contract sounds loving wild.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Hub Cat posted:

It's really bizarre that Nacon did what they did, if they do have the legal right as they claim you'd think they would just go back to the court and get an order for Frogwares to turn over a new version for Steam(unless they already lost as Frogwares claims).
That's literally what their legal dispute that's working its way through an appeals court is about.

I mean, it always looks good when you decide not to bother waiting for the lawyers to finish right?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

So what's the likely endgame here, is someone going to be able/try to take a seemingly-well-deserved judicial poo poo in Nacon's cornflakes or is there nothing to be done due to their physical corporate location?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Rusty posted:

I bought this thanks to the early demo and this post reminding me how good it is. It's really good, for something with literally one control, it's great fun.

it's amazing, the sort of game that will make you laugh with delight

really sweet little love stories too :unsmith:

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

sebmojo posted:

it's amazing, the sort of game that will make you laugh with delight

really sweet little love stories too :unsmith:
I thought I had a bug with the second boss and realized it was literally part of the gameplay, and then it went wild, I was grinning the whole song.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
speaking of rhythm games, one last reminder that dance-em-up Everhood releases tomorrow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6sluPAAKCg

fingers crossed that it doesn't stink

e: they could use a proofreader, for starters

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Mar 4, 2021

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

definitely enjoyed the everhood demo back when it first appeared, hope the full game is as good.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

Oxxidation posted:

speaking of rhythm games, one last reminder that dance-em-up Everhood releases tomorrow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6sluPAAKCg

fingers crossed that it doesn't stink

e: they could use a proofreader, for starters

That is trippy. I, too, hope that there is no stink involved

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Rusty posted:

I thought I had a bug with the second boss and realized it was literally part of the gameplay, and then it went wild, I was grinning the whole song.

ahahah yes

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

So... Cyber Hook no longer has the DRM-free tag on the Monthly page. Guess they just decided they weren't going to offer that after all?? Why does every storefront always do this poo poo

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Safari Disco Lion posted:

I play platformers and such with the d-pad and keeping my thumb at that angle for very long fucks with my hand. Plus my experience is that X-box d-pads are pretty awful.

I use one of the later Xbox 360 pads with the transforming D-Pad for most things and it's pretty good. Honestly I just use this 90% of the time because it works good enough with just about everything. For some emulation/retro things that are d-pad intensive I use the 8bitdo SN30pro+ or the 8bitdo M30 for genesis/saturn stuff. I don't love the button spacing on the SN30pro+, it uses a SNES layout and the buttons are spaced out slightly more horizontally than a PS4 / Xbox controller and it just feels a bit off to me which stops me from just using that all the time.

I have the Hori fighting commander also but I just got it recently and haven't really used it much yet.

Substandard fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Mar 4, 2021

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
ea play is still in the top sellers. did they not fix that exploit, or what?

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
I didn't try super hard but when I checked I didn't see the 'view CD key' option that you were supposed to aside from Spore which just hung while retrieving key. I only really wanted it to demo a few EA games anyway.

Since it was only for older games I doubt it really had that big of an impact on selling EA subs.

Somewhat oddly the intro month for me is £.80 on Steam but £1 if I get it directly on origin.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

ea play is still in the top sellers. did they not fix that exploit, or what?

Like Darkhold mentions above, they are still doing that your first month for 1 buck deal for a couple more days.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?
Gave Control (Ultimate edition but not really) a try and after getting to the first boss, I understand why some people were really upset about the game's controls/combat.

Holy poo poo is this game frustrating to control (hah) at times. That boss fight was a real piece of work with all these little nooks to hide in? Right?

But then you can't seem to change which hand you chuck stuff from or which shoulder you shoot from.

Despite the fact that I had a nice target reticle on stuff multiple times the object I was holding would just explode as I launched it (because it clipped something it didn't look like it would clip).

All the while I'm trying to dodge this idiot's projectiles and the baddies that spawn right behind me.

Not my proudest "gamer moment" but after dying four times, I bumped down the damage I receive and still barely did it.

I'm glad I didn't pay full price. Got past that and we'll see how the rest of the game goes. I'm considering just putting on "one shot kills" and invulnerability to experience the story because, bleh.

I was waiting to buy it until I can get a new video card. My 970 still works but it doesn't look as good as it could.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Vasler posted:

Gave Control (Ultimate edition but not really) a try and after getting to the first boss, I understand why some people were really upset about the game's controls/combat.

Holy poo poo is this game frustrating to control (hah) at times. That boss fight was a real piece of work with all these little nooks to hide in? Right?

But then you can't seem to change which hand you chuck stuff from or which shoulder you shoot from.

Despite the fact that I had a nice target reticle on stuff multiple times the object I was holding would just explode as I launched it (because it clipped something it didn't look like it would clip).

All the while I'm trying to dodge this idiot's projectiles and the baddies that spawn right behind me.

Not my proudest "gamer moment" but after dying four times, I bumped down the damage I receive and still barely did it.

I'm glad I didn't pay full price. Got past that and we'll see how the rest of the game goes. I'm considering just putting on "one shot kills" and invulnerability to experience the story because, bleh.

I was waiting to buy it until I can get a new video card. My 970 still works but it doesn't look as good as it could.

That boss is easily the worst one in the ENTIRE GAME and it took me 5 tries when nothing else took more than 1-2 tries. It's trying to teach you too many things at once and ughhhhh.

The story meanwhile is very very good, and I loved reading all the lore bits and cheering for the main character whenever she figured something out about this spooky place.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

Man, shooters lately are just not working out for me. That boss was a little frustrating but nothing compared to how quickly Control's combat got stale for me. I like the story, I like a couple of the characters (the janitor in particular) but 4 hours in I'm still in the same old loop of "my gun is out of bullets" - "my telekinesis is on recharge" - "my gun is out of bullets again". Control, more like Cooldown. Then I quit the game right before talking to Emily and it decided to return me to a control point on the far end of the map and remove the objective to talk to her so I'm pretty sure I missed out on a bunch of dialogue. THEN I got my first timed optional objective, which killed my poo poo completely off immediately on arrival and was subsequently deleted from my objectives log. Yeah sure, rub my nose in it more why don't you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless
Jan 2, 2005
not so much

Vasler posted:

To add to the above - I know there is a way to change shoulders but I can't find the PC keybind. A common pointer is to really lean into your kinetic throws, never stop chucking stuff. Takes awhile to unlock all of your powers but the game really clicks once you do, especially the movement abilities. Maybe not a power curve like Dying Light but I felt hamstrung in the beginning. I tend to play games slower than most so maybe that's just me.

I also usually skip cutscenes in most games and ignore the story but I really liked the multimedia stuff (Darling Presentations, Threshold Kids, etc) which drew me into the rest of the story.