Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
Just snooze alerts slack all day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Show as offline or actually be offline.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Bonzo posted:

Is it me or has anyone had issues with messaging etiquette with teams/slack since WFH went into effect? Many times I see peers or those above me ignoring Do Not Disturb or Busy status. Maybe I'm doing log review or presenting in a meeting. Being spammed for updates on a non-import issue is annoying. Imagine someone being on the phone, and someone comes to your desk and just starts talking when you are obviously occupied.

Turn off notifications. Slack isn't a phone call, Slack isn't an in-person conversation.

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

As someone who has been WFH for like 4 years at this point, yeah, someone sending you a slack dm while you're set to busy or dnd is an implied "get back to me when you can". Being able to have asynchronous conversations is a huge benefit of the medium. Being able to tolerate working in an environment with heavy messenger usage is an important job skill.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
Slack gets a bit overwhelming when you're in a position to be decision maker on many moving parts but that really extends to all forms of communication I guess. Slack just feels worst than the others

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Does slack not have an auto-reply/away feature like most messengers did or used to?

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

If you set Do Not Disturb in slack it pauses all notifications. You'll still get the messages but it won't alert you. The entire point of chat is that the conversation doesn't have to be real-time.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
I have a Google voice number forwarding to a pay phone in the middle of a desert - this is the only way my coworkers can reach me

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.
Found another loving horrorshow today at work getting some legacy stuff migrated, so let me introduce you to the best concept I've ever seen for storing connection strings.

You see, a normal person would load from a configuration file, with optional different files to be used for dev environments, etc.

But no, not this genius. Why do that, when you can just REWRITE THE loving CONFIGURATION STRING, AT RUN-TIME, IN A RANDOM LIBRARY DLL, WHEN SettingsLoaded IS CALLED?

gently caress me.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Olpainless posted:

Found another loving horrorshow today at work getting some legacy stuff migrated, so let me introduce you to the best concept I've ever seen for storing connection strings.

You see, a normal person would load from a configuration file, with optional different files to be used for dev environments, etc.

But no, not this genius. Why do that, when you can just REWRITE THE loving CONFIGURATION STRING, AT RUN-TIME, IN A RANDOM LIBRARY DLL, WHEN SettingsLoaded IS CALLED?

gently caress me.

More like olstringless----WAIT A MINUTE

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

My job is going down the tubes super fast. I got a call back from the private sector job I interviewed with last week while I was going back and forth with HR and my boss about money.

Even if we're able to settle our current problems I need to get out of here. Leadership keeps making decision after decision without IT in mind & my team's morale is through the floor. I've been pretty miserable here for over a year (stupid loving covid) so naturally I'm putting every single egg in this basket.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Never had drug testing in SF. Beyond "sure let's go round the alley to test these drugs". My wife worked in HR for a tech company and had to process background checks, which were stringent only if you touched customer financial data (IT, security, some developers but far from all). No drug testing though.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

luminalflux posted:

Never had drug testing in SF. Beyond "sure let's go round the alley to test these drugs". My wife worked in HR for a tech company and had to process background checks, which were stringent only if you touched customer financial data (IT, security, some developers but far from all). No drug testing though.

apparently any job that works with the UC system drug tests :smith:

Honey Im Homme
Sep 3, 2009

deedee megadoodoo posted:

If you set Do Not Disturb in slack it pauses all notifications. You'll still get the messages but it won't alert you. The entire point of chat is that the conversation doesn't have to be real-time.

On desktop it gives the option to notify the snoozed user anyway.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Honey Im Homme posted:

On desktop it gives the option to notify the snoozed user anyway.

Then you especially ignore them until you aren't busy, assuming it's not an emergency.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The biggest challenge is often getting people to use an appropriate method of communication. Is it really urgent and you need to interrupt whatever I am doing? Cool, ring my mobile or start a voice call in Teams or whatever. Don't do that if you just want to check a part number for an order is correct and you are happy to get a response at some point this week.

And along the same lines, don't send me an email if whatever you're asking is urgent.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

Thanks Ants posted:

And along the same lines, don't send me an email if whatever you're asking is urgent.

#dyingonthishill #emailsux

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

bus hustler posted:

apparently any job that works with the UC system drug tests :smith:

yet another reason to never work for or hire from UC

edit: UC Merced is fine though I've worked with great people from there

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Thanks Ants posted:

The biggest challenge is often getting people to use an appropriate method of communication. Is it really urgent and you need to interrupt whatever I am doing? Cool, ring my mobile or start a voice call in Teams or whatever. Don't do that if you just want to check a part number for an order is correct and you are happy to get a response at some point this week.

This. This is what I was getting at.

I have Project Managers that will email you, then message you on teams 25 minutes later to ask you about the email. Then there are others who don't like my answer (usually no, I'm not doing that, its not my job) and will start messaging me to either explain their point or argue with me.

Others will message me to ask about the status on a low priority ticket, and then message me two hours later with ".....well???" It's to the point that I'm being a little lovely and short with these people hoping they'll either get the hint or it will trigger a management conversation .

I really wish Teams either had a mute feature or a way to appear offline for some but online for others like ICQ back in the day.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

jaegerx posted:

Well. We’re waiting.

Meeting went well, I just heard back and they sent me a formal application to fill out so they can do a background check. So I assume the CEO gave the thumbs up pending me not being a murderer or something, so I'm like 99% sure I got it.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

eonwe posted:

Meeting went well, I just heard back and they sent me a formal application to fill out so they can do a background check. So I assume the CEO gave the thumbs up pending me not being a murderer or something, so I'm like 99% sure I got it.

Congrats. Now fleece them for money

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Alright, so I'm starting to get our company to look more seriously at Microsoft Premier support. Some folks have been burned in the past with the old Premier that was for on-prem stuff and required things to be supported ala cart instead of just "we support the entire Microsoft stack." Looks like there is still a bucket of hours for on-prem stuff, but it covers everything Microsoft and the cloud stuff is covered completely.

Does anyone who currently use Microsoft Premier support have any good things to say? Especially in comparison to their standard support, which is worse than useless. Trying to make management understand that if they want a "we opened a ticket with the vendor" CYA, that's fine, but otherwise standard support is not helpful.

eonwe posted:

That sounds really awesome! Congrats. Hope it continues to go well.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Oh, I just got the offer. Its a non profit so no income fleecing, but it will be (I think) a lot less stressful.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

We had premier and got rid of it because it didn’t feel any better than their normal support. A lot of the time we’d figure out issues via googling before they’d come up with something. A lot of money wasted when you’re just doing the work yourself anyway.

eonwe posted:

but it will be (I think) a lot less stressful.

Lol

Congrats! Non profit is not the place for less stress unless it’s super small. You’ll learn lots though so it can be a real boon to your career.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

eonwe posted:

Oh, I just got the offer. Its a non profit so no income fleecing, but it will be (I think) a lot less stressful.

Congrats!

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

George H.W. oval office posted:

We had premier and got rid of it because it didn’t feel any better than their normal support. A lot of the time we’d figure out issues via googling before they’d come up with something. A lot of money wasted when you’re just doing the work yourself anyway.

Lol

Congrats! Non profit is not the place for less stress unless it’s super small. You’ll learn lots though so it can be a real boon to your career.

So - I'm sure it will be stressful, but I'm working 60+ hours a week rn, and my boss made it clear that is not something that will happen at this new place. Also no on-call, so thats pretty baller.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
We are on like year 5 of implementing Oracle HCM Magic FartCloud with first PWC and then AssEnter and it still doesn't work and is dogshit. The OBIEE data modeler thingie is also loving garbage from like 1997 or something too. Oh and I also hate Teams.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

If you buy from Oracle you get what you deserve imo

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
We've got premier support, and have generally had good experiences with it. Sometimes you get stuck with a bad rep, but we can usually clear that up by reaching out to our "customer success account manager" (formerly TAM). Quite a few times when we've got complex problems we end up getting to work with some pretty high level engineers.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

eonwe posted:

So - I'm sure it will be stressful, but I'm working 60+ hours a week rn, and my boss made it clear that is not something that will happen at this new place. Also no on-call, so thats pretty baller.

Oh well in that case yea 100% less stress

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

George H.W. oval office posted:

Hmm... this is what we were afraid of, but if we are calling Microsoft we are well past the point of Googling it.

FISHMANPET posted:

We've got premier support, and have generally had good experiences with it. Sometimes you get stuck with a bad rep, but we can usually clear that up by reaching out to our "customer success account manager" (formerly TAM). Quite a few times when we've got complex problems we end up getting to work with some pretty high level engineers.

This is good to hear, thank you.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

Microsoft support is unspeakably bad unless you are working on a problem using their newest hottest service they’re trying to sell

Edit: premier, unified, whatever. It’s trash

i am a moron fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Mar 4, 2021

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I've never actually gotten an issue resolved by putting in a ticket to Microsoft support

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Well, we are trying to see if we can get them to heavily discount our first year or somehow do a 6 month pilot program or something. Hopefully that will happen and we'll be able to evaluate ourselves.

i am a moron posted:

Microsoft support is unspeakably bad unless you are working on a problem using their newest hottest service they’re trying to sell

Edit: premier, unified, whatever. It’s trash

Most of the time we are working on a problem using their newest hottest service.

eonwe posted:

I've never actually gotten an issue resolved by putting in a ticket to Microsoft support

This has definitely been our experience with their bundled support. Trying to see if Premier is the same.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

Okay like right now they’re really hot for selling defender or sentinel so that’s the extent of not poo poo MS support I’ve seen in the last year

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I think they have restructured who the actual workers are behind premier support about 20 times, at this time I think its a mix of their high level partners and some of their us contractors. If your premier suppot means you talk directly to them in all tickets and phone calls, it should be fine.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Having worked for Microsoft doing premier support, it is all up to how good of an engineer you get on your ticket. They have a huge, private database of solutions to leverage. A bad engineer doesn't know how to search through that and will waste your hours, be ready to raise hell with the account manager. There are also a stupid amount of tickets that get solved from public sources, so exhaust yourself on searching first Guarantee the team will collectively laugh at your ticket if they can Goo.. Bing the answer in a few minutes. Lots of people will share the solutions they get from premier to save other's the cost.

:toot: Accepted an internal IT position today after doing the above stated support and MSP work for a decade.

Phuzun fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Mar 4, 2021

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Slack notifications are the greatest thing if you work from home. I put my phone next to my bed and just nap until I get an notification. Respond on phone. Back to nap.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Sickening posted:

I think they have restructured who the actual workers are behind premier support about 20 times, at this time I think its a mix of their high level partners and some of their us contractors. If your premier suppot means you talk directly to them in all tickets and phone calls, it should be fine.

Like everything else in IT that you can't fix yourself, the answer is usually to escalate until you find someone who can help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Like everything else in IT that you can't fix yourself, the answer is usually to escalate until you find someone who can help.

But I am the escalation!!