Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

I collect silly baseball cards so when I saw this I went straight to ebay and picked one up. This is amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Slimy Hog posted:

I collect silly baseball cards so when I saw this I went straight to ebay and picked one up. This is amazing.

Is there a baseball card thread in SAS anymore? I got an on-card Isreal Alcontera auto that is my pride and joy

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Shrecknet posted:

Is there a baseball card thread in SAS anymore? I got an on-card Isreal Alcontera auto that is my pride and joy

There was, but I unbookmarked it a while back. I think the last post in it was 2015 or something.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Aaron Boone is having a pacemaker installed. Says he’ll be out for a few days (?!) but really hope he’s alright once he comes back, what with Covid and all

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Ball de-juiced this season, or still too early to tell?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Carlosologist posted:

Aaron Boone is having a pacemaker installed. Says he’ll be out for a few days (?!) but really hope he’s alright once he comes back, what with Covid and all

I'm amazed at how blase he seems about the whole thing, I also had no idea he got open heart surgery in 2009?!

Here's to a speedy recovery.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

MrMojok posted:

Ball de-juiced this season, or still too early to tell?
The league said they are deadening the ball. Probably not enough data yet to confirm it's happened and to what degree.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

I had some ST on as background noise and I think they said they're deadening it, but using last year's balls through ST.

Mods change my name to last year's balls, tia

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Chief McHeath posted:

I had some ST on as background noise and I think they said they're deadening it, but using last year's balls through ST.

I was going to say it seems like dinger city in the early going here but the sample size, she is so small.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Chief McHeath posted:

Mods change my name to last year's balls, tia

thanks to the pandemic a lot of us are still using last year's balls tbh

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
https://twitter.com/FoxSportsWest/status/1367231885810761728

468 feet like it aint no thing, now to see how he looks on the mound in a day or two

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Johnny Bravo posted:

https://twitter.com/FoxSportsWest/status/1367231885810761728

468 feet like it aint no thing, now to see how he looks on the mound in a day or two
the runner was going but Shohei said "nah, I don't feel like running, I'm just gonna jog" what a lazy bum! t:mad:

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Interesting article. I really do not understand the dynamics of minor league baseball and how affiliations work but the MLB/Giants clearly did this team dirty.

https://www.sfgate.com/giants/article/mickey-walker-salem-keizer-volcanoes-sf-giants-15990389.php

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

soggybagel posted:

Interesting article. I really do not understand the dynamics of minor league baseball and how affiliations work but the MLB/Giants clearly did this team dirty.

https://www.sfgate.com/giants/article/mickey-walker-salem-keizer-volcanoes-sf-giants-15990389.php
They're far from the only one

The Staten Island Yankees owners found out on Twitter that they lost their affiliation. I believe something similar also happened with Trenton. The entire process was a pile of poo poo for a bunch of owners.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
From what I understand, every minor league team that wasn't picked up as an affiliate was ghosted. Most likely marching orders from MLB to ensure the minor league teams that had nothing to lose didn't leak the information early.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Hi. Guy who doesn’t follow baseball much here so this is probably a stupid question. So Aaron Judge, an unquestionable superstar and one of the faces of the game on the biggest team in the game has been in the Majors for like 6 years and is now 28 but only makes $10 million a year. The gently caress is up with that?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Hi. Guy who doesn’t follow baseball much here so this is probably a stupid question. So Aaron Judge, an unquestionable superstar and one of the faces of the game on the biggest team in the game has been in the Majors for like 6 years and is now 28 but only makes $10 million a year. The gently caress is up with that?
He's only played 4 years

He has one year left of arbitration after this year and then in 2023 would become a free agent if the Yankees don't sign him to an extension.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

He's in his 5th IRL season of playing, but he only has 4 years of service time, so this season was his first in arbitration. 10 mil for a first season of ARB is pretty good; off the top of my head only kris bryant at 10.5 and cody bellinger at 11.5 outdid that.

EDIT: Lolno last season was his first season of arb, but a 1.5 mil raise after covid season/his injuries isn't terrible either

TheFlyingLlama fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Mar 4, 2021

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Ammat The Ankh posted:

From what I understand, every minor league team that wasn't picked up as an affiliate was ghosted. Most likely marching orders from MLB to ensure the minor league teams that had nothing to lose didn't leak the information early.
Some of them ended up going to Indy Ball. I want to say around 18-20 basically got screwed over and folded.

The entire thing is dumb anyway, as doing this saves MLB a tiny amount of money but also removes baseball for a lot of people who aren't anywhere near an MLB park.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Would like to congratulate the Braves at the end of this season for completing their contract with Bruce Sutter, who signed a Bonilla-style contract in 1985 that ran for 36 years, $44m

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

So you can be a bonafide superstar but you have to wait until you’re just about 30 to really cash in?

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So you can be a bonafide superstar but you have to wait until you’re just about 30 to really cash in?

Yes

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

That seems not good?

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

That seems not good?

Welcome to baseball and why bargaining for the next CBA will probably be an apocalypse!

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

FlamingLiberal posted:

They're far from the only one

The Staten Island Yankees owners found out on Twitter that they lost their affiliation. I believe something similar also happened with Trenton. The entire process was a pile of poo poo for a bunch of owners.

Ammat The Ankh posted:

I think this came out to not be the case for one of the Yankee affiliates, there was something in a newspaper about them working with some local politician to try and sway the Yankees a while before the announcement was made if I recall correctly.

I also saw a thing about how the owner of the SI franchise was a nightmare and the facilities were dangerously low-quality (which I mean, should be on the MLB team to fix but...)

That whole thing was bafling though, the Yankees went out on their own and took all of the flak and then the rest of the league just kind of said "Yeah we're also doing that" while everybody was still mad at NY.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

That seems not good?

if you're one of the like, 30 or so best players in the game (and you manage to make the majors young enough) you'll make a metric fuckton of money.

If you aren't, or worse, god forbid, you get hurt; well you're just kinda hosed, yeah.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

one cool thing baseball teams do is if they have a star prospect ready in the minors they pretend he is not ready for the show and then sometime in april when the prospect has been down in the minors exactly long enough to give the team an extra year of control before letting them get paid in free agency they magically discover all of the issues keeping him in the minors have been solved! anyway, there is not going to be a season next year because there will be a strike or lockout.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

That seems not good?

The mlbpa is bad at what they do.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

But then you have that kid getting a 14 year deal out of nowhere? Why is there no rhyme or reason?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

R.D. Mangles posted:

one cool thing baseball teams do is if they have a star prospect ready in the minors they pretend he is not ready for the show and then sometime in april when the prospect has been down in the minors exactly long enough to give the team an extra year of control before letting them get paid in free agency they magically discover all of the issues keeping him in the minors have been solved! anyway, there is not going to be a season next year because there will be a strike or lockout.
We're definitely staring down a lockout, from the way things are looking. It's going to be pretty bad if for some reason the season gets derailed significantly by Covid again (although I'm thinking that's less likely, as when they did the initial ST arrival testing only a handful of players/personnel tested positive out of like 20,000 tests?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

But then you have that kid getting a 14 year deal out of nowhere? Why is there no rhyme or reason?
The team is gambling that he will continue to produce down the road, and in theory they will save money by paying more upfront, so you lock him up cheaper now and have cost-certainty.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

The team is gambling that he will continue to produce down the road, and in theory they will save money by paying more upfront, so you lock him up cheaper now and have cost-certainty.

And the *checks notes* New York Yankees can’t do that with their generational talent? I mean I know that a small market outlet like the Yankees is hard up for cash but hey sometimes you need to take risks.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

And the *checks notes* New York Yankees can’t do that with their generational talent? I mean I know that a small market outlet like the Yankees is hard up for cash but hey sometimes you need to take risks.
They really haven't spent nearly as willingly since George died.

They also traded for Giancarlo Stanton's massive contract and that has been kind of an albatross as well. I haven't really heard any chatter yet about a possible Judge extension, but I could see the Yankees letting him walk because he is kind of similar physically to Stanton and Stanton just can't stay healthy.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

They really haven't spent nearly as willingly since George died.

They also traded for Giancarlo Stanton's massive contract and that has been kind of an albatross as well. I haven't really heard any chatter yet about a possible Judge extension, but I could see the Yankees letting him walk because he is kind of similar physically to Stanton and Stanton just can't stay healthy.

As a kid born in 91 it’s loving weird living in a world where the Yankees aren’t in the World Series every other year.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

there's a weird dynamic in baseball where only like 4-5 teams are trying to win and the rest are just cutting payroll and either blatantly tanking or gambling that the teams in their division are bad enough that they can maybe make the playoffs. The Padres are one of the teams going for it and they are spending money. For example, they traded essentially some teenagers and a mediocre pitcher to the Cubs for Yu Darvish because the Cubs are pretending to be poor because the owners spent a lot of money buying every building in wrigleyville and serving as the funding arm for donald trump. then everyone went nutso so they paid to bring back jake arrieta for a few million.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

As a kid born in 91 it’s loving weird living in a world where the Yankees aren’t in the World Series every other year.
It's a combination of them not spending like crazy as they did during the 1990s, and also they haven't had the same crazy bonanza of home-grown prospects like they did back then. Remember that Jeter, Rivera, Posada, Pettitte, and a few others were all Yankees picks/signings.

Looking at last year's starting lineup, the only home-grown guys were Judge, Sanchez, and Gardner. Everyone else was a trade or FA signing.

The other problem is that they don't have a lot of guys close to MLB ready who are potential stars. They have some potential helpful pieces like Clarke Schmidt and Deivi Garcia that will be in the bigs this year but that's all.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

They just haven’t got lucky on starting pitching being healthy imho

And Rivera is irreplaceable

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

euphronius posted:

They just haven’t got lucky on starting pitching being healthy imho

And Rivera is irreplaceable
It's been ages since they had a quality home-grown starter

I feel like they are also taking a major gamble going into this season with the few starters that they have, some of whom are injury reclamation projects like Corey Kluber

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Shrecknet posted:

Would like to congratulate the Braves at the end of this season for completing their contract with Bruce Sutter, who signed a Bonilla-style contract in 1985 that ran for 36 years, $44m

Reading a 1985 article about the contract and the novelty of it, there was also a list of baseball's richest players.

Length Annual Player, position Team Contract Salary
Dave Winfield, outfield N.Y. Yankees 10 Years $2 million
Gary Carter, catcher N.Y. Mets 7 Years $1.8 million
Mike Schmidt, third base Philadelphia 5 Years $2 million
George Foster, outfield N.Y. Mets 5 Years $2.05 million
Rick Sutcliffe, pitcher Chicago Cubs 5 Years $1.9 million
Rickey Henderson, outfield N.Y. Yankees 5 Years $1.75 million
Keith Hernandez, first base N.Y. Mets 5 Years $1.7 million
Fred Lynn, outfield Baltimore 5 Years $1.36 million
Steve Garvey, first base San Diego 5 Years $1.32 million
George Brett, third base Kansas City 7 Years $900,000
Bruce Sutter, pitcher Atlanta 6 Years $750,000

Per the inflation calculator, Winfield's contract would be about 4.9 million per year now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

R.D. Mangles posted:

there's a weird dynamic in baseball where only like 4-5 teams are trying to win and the rest are just cutting payroll and either blatantly tanking or gambling that the teams in their division are bad enough that they can maybe make the playoffs. The Padres are one of the teams going for it and they are spending money. For example, they traded essentially some teenagers and a mediocre pitcher to the Cubs for Yu Darvish because the Cubs are pretending to be poor because the owners spent a lot of money buying every building in wrigleyville and serving as the funding arm for donald trump. then everyone went nutso so they paid to bring back jake arrieta for a few million.

Yeah how the gently caress did the Cubs go from looking like a budding dynasty in 2016 to reverting back to being the Cubs?