Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Everything y’all type about that game makes me never want to try it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

It's satan in pixelated form. Just keeps tempting me back in.

What would you call it? A survival builder? I want more games like it. Surviving Mars is pretty good though not so brutal.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Sounds like Rick Perry's Ercot Simulator

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Survival sim is probably a good term for it, I wouldn't know what else to call it.

Winterhome was such a bitch. I ended up pushing religion to salvage hope right before the 10 day deadline. Health and religion, I needed both infirmaries and houses of healing. After that, it was relatively easy. Get past that first set of goals and it's not too bad. I didn't save everyone, mostly children and engineers. To do much more, I need a better start on steel.

GD, it's just brutal and unforgiving. Totally and absolute. I guess comparing to something would be like if Doom and Cities Skylines had a love child that lived in a hole in Antarctica.

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Satellite from days of old, lead me to your access code
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhCoXjGmUz8

FF7R getting an update for the PS5 with a special Yuffie episode! I am kind of surprised they didn't make some DLC to go through some of the more minor story beats until the next big release. Could probably throw Kalm into a DLC and maybe that ice cavern dungeon and chocobo ranch. Yuffie seems cool, don't know about her partner and the new white haired antagonist? Maybe.

There was also announced two new mobile FF7 games. First Soldier is a battle royale:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chSgLDIhWE0

And Ever Crisis is the entire FF7 timeline put into chapters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6ZDKZfr-i0

I wasn't sure Dirge of Cereberus was canon, guess it is! I think it's disappointing that they are mobile games, I would probably play them on the Switch. Are mobile games just bigger in Japan? I mean I play FFBE War of the Visions on my phone and Japan has their own version of the game that we are like 3 months behind.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Iain posted:

I wasn't sure Dirge of Cereberus was canon, guess it is! I think it's disappointing that they are mobile games, I would probably play them on the Switch. Are mobile games just bigger in Japan? I mean I play FFBE War of the Visions on my phone and Japan has their own version of the game that we are like 3 months behind.

One could viably have the take that Nintendo pretty much had to develop the Switch as a combo home/handheld system to avoid admitting that mobile gaming had eaten the conventional Japanese handheld market to the point of no longer being viable for anything else.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Iain posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhCoXjGmUz8

FF7R getting an update for the PS5 with a special Yuffie episode! I am kind of surprised they didn't make some DLC to go through some of the more minor story beats until the next big release. Could probably throw Kalm into a DLC and maybe that ice cavern dungeon and chocobo ranch. Yuffie seems cool, don't know about her partner and the new white haired antagonist? Maybe.

There was also announced two new mobile FF7 games. First Soldier is a battle royale:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chSgLDIhWE0

And Ever Crisis is the entire FF7 timeline put into chapters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6ZDKZfr-i0

You can keep the battle royale but welp looks like I'm buying the other.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?
This was just too perfect for a dready morning:

https://twitter.com/halflife_txt/status/1364258727646347264

And I should get around playing the Half-Life remake, never finished the orginal. Which one is the actual one you could get in Steam?

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

That would be Black Mesa. Can confirm it’s good.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/362890/Black_Mesa/

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Black mesa is good, they remade Zen and made it a lil better.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
I installed Toilet Eve but realized I don't even poop long enough to enjoy it.

Truly a blessing in disguise.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Post Scriptum is also on there

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Modern take on swords to ploughshares

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/Duplighost_/status/1364975164220448772?s=20

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

edit: jesus, I suck at posting

pantslesswithwolves fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Feb 28, 2021

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Finished A New Home on Frostpunk on extreme last night. Realized there was no achievement for it, crushed it on survivor mode this morning.

Now just 3 more scenarios and endless extreme to go and I can forget this game exists again.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I've never played Diablo of any kind. I'm guessing the closest game I ever played of any kind was Atari's Gauntlet, the black hole for quarters.

So, should I buy Hades, or try Diablo 1 2 or 3?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

GD_American posted:

I've never played Diablo of any kind. I'm guessing the closest game I ever played of any kind was Atari's Gauntlet, the black hole for quarters.

I would go with Diablo 3 but make sure it comes with the expansion. Run through the storyline and dig into Adventure Mode to get the most out of it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Diablo 2 was way better IMHO.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

GD_American posted:

Hades is a other whole thing, and it's amazing. You can't really compare it to the Diablo series bur it's totally worth playing.
As far as Diablo is concerned, if I had never played one, and was starting from scratch I would probably do D3. D2 is probably the better game, but 3 has some amazing QoL features, and a really good gameplay loop one you get into seasons, provided you get the version with the REAPER OF SOULS expansion.

DO NOT BUY D3 WITHOUT REAPER OF SOULS.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Don’t even bother trying to follow whatever batshit crazy story they pulled out of their asses either. Just kill tons of poo poo and skip the cut scenes. Makes the game infinitely more enjoyable. Adventure mode is also a blast once you get through the main campaign.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Just play path of exile, DEHUMANIZE YOURSELF AND FACE TO UBER ATZIRI :kheldragar:

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
I had some fun having my nieces watch me play some games while I was suck at home post-surgery in 2018, but they had apparently forgotten that Uncle Funlop is a gamer over Covid.

Turns out they were excitedly telling my mom about a new game they've been playing since my goddaughter got her own laptop for her 12th birthday, and my mom decided to advise them to ask me if I know that game, because, you know, "Uncle Funlop" likes computer games very much.

That game?

Minecraft.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I had some fun having my nieces watch me play some games while I was suck at home post-surgery in 2018, but they had apparently forgotten that Uncle Funlop is a gamer over Covid.

Turns out they were excitedly telling my mom about a new game they've been playing since my goddaughter got her own laptop for her 12th birthday, and my mom decided to advise them to ask me if I know that game, because, you know, "Uncle Funlop" likes computer games very much.

That game?

Minecraft.

Everything old is new again.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Duzzy Funlop posted:

That game?

Minecraft.

how very german of them to see them play mein struggle.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
There is a computer at the pawn shop with a 2080 in it for 800.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=zotac+2080+amp&_sacat=0&rt=nc&LH_BIN=1

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Wasabi the J posted:

There is a computer at the pawn shop with a 2080 in it for 800.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=zotac+2080+amp&_sacat=0&rt=nc&LH_BIN=1

I have a backup 1070 that I keep thinking about selling but as soon as I do my main card will probably explode.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I have a working AMD RX 590 and not a hardcore gamer so I could probably buy the system and flip the card.

I'm sleeping on it.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
JFC I just got Modern Warfare on a whim and the install is 226gb :psyduck:

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

They had to announce recently that you can't play it on a launch PS4 anymore unless you install it to an external drive. It is too large to fit on the internal.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

A Bad Poster posted:

They had to announce recently that you can't play it on a launch PS4 anymore unless you install it to an external drive. It is too large to fit on the internal.

Its gotta be the most unoptimized code in the world, even with 4k textures.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

i grabbed mk11 and its 100gb

ill find a way to strip out the story once i play it again but ugh

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Are we just at one of those generational phases where companies just stop bothering to compress or optomize anything again? poo poo is ridiculous

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Finally getting around to finishing Breath of the Wild after sporadically playing it while out of town in the Army, such a great game. Especially now that I'm able to smoke weed. Just having fun running around finding interesting things to do.

Can't wait to finally see more of what the sequel will be like.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

A Bad Poster posted:

https://twitter.com/eurogamer/status/1364873529309724672?s=21

There's a couple reasons to it. They have multiple languages all on "disc" because no one wants to wait to download a new language pack and they all have 4K textures because I guess that's a thing now. Warzone is a gigantic map and the only way it makes sense is if they don't give a poo poo and basically have a texture and model for everything with minimal repeats or recycling.

The tinfoil hat theory is that Activision tells its studios to not give a poo poo about optimizing for disk space so they can push out other games from existing on a console which is kind of farfetched but also is the lowest effort ploy with big returns so it's believable. It is also telling that one of the first things Bungie did a year after it left Activision is that it compressed its entire game (and cut out a lot of content, which was probably built very inefficiently by other Activision studios) and shrunk the game by 40% from its ballooned size of 120GB.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

As far as warzones big map is concerned Carmack is probably grumbling somewhere that he solved that poo poo a decade ago in quake wars.

E: 14 years ago, God drat.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
I don't understand why I even have to install Warzone at all, but it's listed as "required" in the install. I don't even really know what it is, I just wanted some stupid old cod singleplayer. I guess it's like their battle royale, or some kind of battlefield map?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I just looked up the numbers and Warzone is their 150 player Battle Royale on a 9 km2 map which I think is almost 3x the size of a Fortnite map which makes me think this is a case of Activision dick swinging

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
Unless I'm mistaken, the way Playstation installs games makes you reserve twice the space it actually needs when you install them as well. It downloads the games, and then installs them in other memory before deleting the installation files.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

CoD’s huge size has a synergistic effect with Sony’s history of extremely bad software/OS design to make this kind of problem crop up every generation. The PS3 era it was re-downloading most of the game just to install patches.