Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Arzachel posted:

It also doesn't have bios flashback which is probably the bigger issue.
Until they're buying the B550 board for a hypothetical Ryzen 6000 CPU that's not really a problem?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

orcane posted:

Until they're buying the B550 board for a hypothetical Ryzen 6000 CPU that's not really a problem?

b550 boards aren't automatically compatible with Zen 3, they need a BIOS update. It may be that boards are starting to arrive at retailers with the latest compatible BIOS already installed but that's by no means guaranteed yet.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

It's useful if you overclock and it won't boot to BIOS, as well. If you can't be bothered to go inside and jumper it. Eg it's a pain to do with an nhd15 on it.

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?
Just want to say that my dream build is now complete and massive thanks to the posters in this thread for their knowledge and insights. Now, to switch to a non-dreadful ISP...

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

It's useful if you overclock and it won't boot to BIOS, as well. If you can't be bothered to go inside and jumper it. Eg it's a pain to do with an nhd15 on it.

If your system has a reset button, you can wire it to the CMOS header. :eng101:

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Butterfly Valley posted:

b550 boards aren't automatically compatible with Zen 3, they need a BIOS update. It may be that boards are starting to arrive at retailers with the latest compatible BIOS already installed but that's by no means guaranteed yet.
Through classic ASRock mad scientist shenanigans, they actually do boot Zen3 into BIOS on theoretically unsupported versions and you can update. Specifically for the B550 Phantom ITX, at least v1.1 lets you boot Zen3 and update BIOS to v1.2+ (which have the official Zen3 support)

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

Caveat: the ASRock Phantom Gaming has those 90°-turned SATA ports, which can ruin your day if you have SATA drives in your build like me. The best solution is of course to just have M.2
This was a pain though. It did fit, but required putting in the PSU after plugging the SATA cable.

And another caveat: for unknown reasons, ASRock is really slow on the BIOS updates for their B550 boards - they haven't see an update since early December, and that wasn't even to the most recent (at the time) AMD AGESA.

lurksion fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Mar 4, 2021

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

Here's my pslatecustoms before/after, featuring the most halfassed attempt to velcro tie an atx 24 pin cable you'll ever see:

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
I should get me some custom psu cables.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

On the subject, does anyone know if PSU orientation in the NR200 matters that much?

I currently have it front mounted for space reasons when i was assembling but not sure if thats best for thermals as the PSU exhaust is going straight into the front panel where there isnt really great airflow.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

lurksion posted:

Through classic ASRock mad scientist shenanigans, they actually do boot Zen3 into BIOS on theoretically unsupported versions and you can update. Specifically for the B550 Phantom ITX, at least v1.1 lets you boot Zen3 and update BIOS to v1.2+ (which have the official Zen3 support)

So I feel confident enough in saying that the Gigabyte b550i Aorus Pro AX is the same, given I'm on my second motherboard now where I had to do this and it worked even though both shipped with revision F3 which predates Zen 3 support, apparently. Both times it's allowed me to boot to the BIOS and Q-Flash from within.

The fact the Q-Flash didn't work was one of the reasons I'm RMAing the first motherboard, although now I'm wondering if I was just unlucky and none of the 4 USB sticks I tried are compatible, because I couldn't do it on the replacement board either. Also I'm now wondering if the other reasons are also endemic to the board, rather than specific issues with mine:

- The bluetooth kept on disappearing, and only reappeared after a hard power cycle. From googling, this is definitely common to the intel bluetooth chipset rather than a specific motherboard issue.

- The CLEAR CMOS jumper didn't work as described in the manual, leading me to need to disassemble the entire machine to get at the battery, which is stuck to the back of one of the I/O ports underneath the VRM heatsink. This was obviously a huge fuckabout and has lead me to not want to touch RAM timings ever again. From googling, I can now see that this is also a common issue with this board, and some people have had success by bridging the CMOS jumper while the system is powered - either actually on, or at least with the PSU on. This is totally contrary to the official instruction and also seems a little dangerous to go at the board with a screwdriver and hoping you don't bridge something else that might fry it.

- Since my adventure into pulling the battery, my PC did a weird thing where after being powered off for a long time (like overnight), it wouldn't power back on correctly. I would turn it on once, the fans would spin up and stay spun up, the GPU light wouldn't be lit, and there would be no image. The power button wouldn't work to force it to turn off and I would have to turn it off at the PSU, wait for the power LED to go off, then turn it back on, and it would always boot fine the second time. When I turned it off and on through the day it also worked fine. This is the main reason I replaced the board.

I'm hoping that the combination of these issues will at least get my return processed, because I don't want an extra board on my hands, even if a few of the issues have known workarounds.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

ijyt posted:

inspiration

Also since I was replacing the motherboard I took the opportunity to rejig some of the cabling in my case and with thanks to ijyt's build I figured out a better way to route the 24pin and CPU cables.

It's not like it was particularly messy before but I didn't like the ugly bunching up of the cables in the top of the case. Now the CPU cable is routed round the back and the bulk of the 24pin cable is folded back on itself out of the way, hopefully opening up a bit more air for the FE top exhaust.

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

I'm sorry but getting it that tidy with the stock corsair sleeved cables is cheating.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Butterfly Valley posted:

Also since I was replacing the motherboard I took the opportunity to rejig some of the cabling in my case and with thanks to ijyt's build I figured out a better way to route the 24pin and CPU cables.

It's not like it was particularly messy before but I didn't like the ugly bunching up of the cables in the top of the case. Now the CPU cable is routed round the back and the bulk of the 24pin cable is folded back on itself out of the way, hopefully opening up a bit more air for the FE top exhaust.

Where did you hide the fan cables?

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

CyberPingu posted:

Where did you hide the fan cables?

As you can see with all of the fans I've wrapped the excess cable around the fans themselves, leaving just enough length on the end to reach the splitters. I needed to figure this out before I installed the fans so as to get the best orientation. The CPU fans are on a splitter attached to a header in the top left of the board, hidden from sight by the cooler. The top case fans are on a splitter which is bunched up with a cable tie you can see in the top centre of the second picture of the backside of the case, and that connects to a header just underneath the RAM, so the cable is routed in the channel between the PSU and motherboard and mostly hidden by the 24 pin cable. The bottom case fans are on their own splitter which connects to a header on the bottom left of the board, hidden underneath the GPU. It's one of the reasons why I like the board enough to have gotten the same one as a replacement, the fan headers are all well positioned so the cables are easy enough to run and hide.

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own."

Sphyre posted:

Here's my pslatecustoms before/after, featuring the most halfassed attempt to velcro tie an atx 24 pin cable you'll ever see:

Nice, I wish the unsleeved black cables looked as nice as the unsleeved clear cables.
Very clean!

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender
Fantastic work on that cable cleanup to both of you! Wow!

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

I have an sg13 on the way; I don't even have any new builds planned, but the next system I make will be in that one. I may get an sfx but I also might just re-use a nice atx supply I have spare already, it's nice to have that option.

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

CaptainPsyko posted:

Gigabyte B550 I if you don’t care about front USB C

ASRock Phantom Gaming if you do.

how about the ASRock A520M? seems like it does USB 3? is USB C something different at the mobo or is it how the rear ports soldered to the board are?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Marzzle posted:

how about the ASRock A520M? seems like it does USB 3? is USB C something different at the mobo or is it how the rear ports soldered to the board are?

I wouldn't run zen3 on a520; and if you're not running zen3, you can probably look at a more feature rich but older board like a b450 for most needs. It has much more limited I/O, no support for overclocking or faster RAM, it's an extreme budget board and just isn't the right choice unless you have a fairly specific use case. If you're just trying to be cheap, there are better ways to be cheap usually.

As for the USB side off things; the Asrock A520 has a USB C shaped port on the rear, but it doesn't actually have any usb 3.2 gen 2 (the technical spec for USB C with the actual speed and power delivery we think of for USBC) on either the front panel or rear; like, it's fine if you just happen to have a USB C shaped cable and want to charge your phone or something but it is in no way actually better than a regular USB port at that point.

edit: Also, to be clear, the Gigabyte board has a rear USB C port (all of the B's 550 do. And it's an actual USB C port). What it doesn't have is a header for a front USB C port, if your case supports one. That's why it's a big "If you don't care about that, this is unquestionably the best board, but if you do care about that, here's the other option" situation.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Butterfly Valley posted:

This is absolutely lovely, fantastic job!

Lardroom
Oct 15, 2012
I built in an NCASE M1 v6.1 and it was pretty fun.
Final specs:
Ryzen 5800x,
Asrock b550 Phantom ITX
Corsair H100i set to side intake with 2 arctic P12s
1x90mm slim noctua fan set to rear exhaust,
2x16 3200CL14 b-die,
Corsair SF750,
MSI RTX 3080 Ventus.
I love how portable and relatively powerful this system is.

I've deshrouded the 3080 Ventus, and it's a perfect fit for the M1. The 2x120 fans sit flush against the now deshrouded GPU, with only a few mm away from the bottom of the case due to some rubber washers.
However, I'm wondering how to orient the fans. Should I orient them to intake from the bottom (there's a fan filter) or orient them to exhaust to the bottom of the case.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
IIRC people have found running the bottom fans as exhaust is ideal for an M1 with a deshrouded GPU, but ultimately trying it both ways and monitoring the temps is the only way to know for sure for your rig.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Lardroom posted:

Ryzen 5800x,
MSI RTX 3080 Ventus.

:raise:

Great sounding system, and nevermind 'relatively', it's literally the best top end price/performance system going.

Lardroom
Oct 15, 2012

Butterfly Valley posted:

:raise:

Great sounding system, and nevermind 'relatively', it's literally the best top end price/performance system going.

I used to have a reference 6900XT in the M1 i snagged for MSRP, which was a surprisingly short card and at 2.15 slots, allowed 2 slim fans as intake. I switched to green team because driver stability, DLSS is literally magic, and I guess I'm a whore for RTX?

Building SFF is such an evil addiction. I'm looking at some of those <10L sandwich cases and thinking: what if...

Splinter posted:

IIRC people have found running the bottom fans as exhaust is ideal for an M1 with a deshrouded GPU, but ultimately trying it both ways and monitoring the temps is the only way to know for sure for your rig.

Thanks. I've got the GPU deshroud fans currently configured as exhaust and it's not throttling. Now gotta work on undervolting the GPU, which should do wonders.

Lardroom fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Mar 6, 2021

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

Lardroom posted:

I built in an NCASE M1 v6.1 and it was pretty fun.
Final specs:
Ryzen 5800x,
Asrock b550 Phantom ITX
Corsair H100i set to side intake with 2 arctic P12s
1x90mm slim noctua fan set to rear exhaust,
2x16 3200CL14 b-die,
Corsair SF750,
MSI RTX 3080 Ventus.

I've deshrouded the 3080 Ventus, and it's a perfect fit for the M1. The 2x120 fans sit flush against the now deshrouded GPU, with only a few mm away from the bottom of the case due to some rubber washers.
However, I'm wondering how to orient the fans. Should I orient them to intake from the bottom (there's a fan filter) or orient them to exhaust to the bottom of the case.

When I ran a deshrouded 5700XT in the Ncase exhaust gave the best temps for the entire system. It is nice to pump all that heat directly out, I used noctua A12x25 fans.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Sphyre posted:

Well I know what I'm buying next.

For now I have a delid and direct die kit, and an aquacomputer octo to play with. I need to see if I can finally get this thing just right.

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009
Does anyone have recommendations for a white itx case with a window? Working on putting together a wish list for my girlfriends first new build in something like 8 years and she is looking at a particular color scheme that involves a lot of white and clean lines.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
nr200p

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

LordAdakos posted:

Does anyone have recommendations for a white itx case with a window? Working on putting together a wish list for my girlfriends first new build in something like 8 years and she is looking at a particular color scheme that involves a lot of white and clean lines.

NR200p, NZXT H1 or one of Sliger's SM series cases come to mind.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

LordAdakos posted:

The Thermaltake Tower 100 has 3!!! windows.

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009
Thank you for all the feedback. I'll throw all these suggestions into a cage fight and see who comes out the winner

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

LordAdakos posted:

Thank you for all the feedback. I'll throw all these suggestions into a cage fight and see who comes out the winner

Please remember to sweep up the glass when you're done.

Warmachine posted:

I don't know if this dumb project has warped my sense of affordable, but $130 for some of those pslate cables is refreshingly cheap?

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
In Win A1 comes in white, has a Qi charger, and comes with a 650w psu.

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

Warmachine posted:

Please remember to sweep up the glass when you're done.

I don't know if this dumb project has warped my sense of affordable, but $130 for some of those pslate cables is refreshingly cheap?

I paid 38 for a custom set from dreambigbyray. I’ll post a picture when I get them in a few days. He’s supposed to be just slightly less quality, but still really good.

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

Warmachine posted:

For now I have a delid and direct die kit, and an aquacomputer octo to play with. I need to see if I can finally get this thing just right.

Have you got a coolant temperature sensor in your loop? For my machine setting fan curves from coolant temperature rather than cpu temp transforms it from almost unusable to perfectly silent dream machine. Guessing at what it is you’re looking to get just right here.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Sphyre posted:

Have you got a coolant temperature sensor in your loop? For my machine setting fan curves from coolant temperature rather than cpu temp transforms it from almost unusable to perfectly silent dream machine. Guessing at what it is you’re looking to get just right here.

Yeah, the reason I got the octo was because my motherboard only has 2 headers that can actually be controlled by the t-sensor. The CPU is locked to the die temp for... reasons? I can turn off the CPU fan monitoring, but I can't change the temperature source. The octo actually shipped with a spare thermistor lead, so I guess I'll have something to measure case ambient too and be really fancy.

But no, I need those cables.

Canna Happy posted:

I paid 38 for a custom set from dreambigbyray. I’ll post a picture when I get them in a few days. He’s supposed to be just slightly less quality, but still really good.

I'll be honest, the real selling point is them coming pre-measured.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Warmachine posted:

I have been procrastinating a custom cable rewiring since I built my system in November and this is literally the single biggest reason I have been putting it off. 100 bucks to not have to measure everything is tempting, but it's also a hundred extra bucks...

(the other reason is I definitely broke the housing of the front panel USB connection on my motherboard, and I just know I am never going to get it properly reconnected once I start taking things apart.)

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

CaptainPsyko posted:

I have been procrastinating a custom cable rewiring since I built my system in November and this is literally the single biggest reason I have been putting it off. 100 bucks to not have to measure everything is tempting, but it's also a hundred extra bucks...

(the other reason is I definitely broke the housing of the front panel USB connection on my motherboard, and I just know I am never going to get it properly reconnected once I start taking things apart.)

Look, I'll sleeve my own pump leads, and I'm even seriously considering soldering custom connections so I don't need to have visible 4-pin molexes taking up space in my case.

But I draw the line at measuring 24-pin, EPS, and PCIe cables.

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

Warmachine posted:

As someone who impulse bought from pslate literally minutes before finding out that I could've got them for 1/3rd the price from DreamBigByRay here, :hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Sphyre posted:

As someone who impulse bought from pslate literally minutes before finding out that I could've got them for 1/3rd the price from DreamBigByRay here, :hmmyes:

:yayclod::hf::yayclod:

I'm waiting on the molex because I THINK I'm going to bust out my soldering iron and hard wire the leads to the PCB of my pump and Octo. But before I do that I want to make sure everything else is in place. Mostly for the octo because I'm not 100% sure where it's going to fit just yet.

edit: Looking forward to putting this out to pasture. Since I have the thing partially disassembled because I'm weighing the pros and cons of the Bykski vs EK FE blocks, it looks EVEN WORSE now.

Warmachine fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Mar 9, 2021