Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

lmao they don't even try to make them properly, look how bad the loving holes are drilled into these. I refuse to believe anyone is stupid enough to buy these.

The only point they get right is environment is a huge factor in how things sound.

If the holes are too well aligned it makes the music sounds too precise, clinical even.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Some Goon posted:

If the holes are too well aligned it makes the music sounds too precise, clinical even.

yep, standing waves are a bitch

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
I love audiosciencereview and the work amirm is doing to bring objective metrics to audio reviews but the trend has brought another type of audiophile to the front. I'll call them objective audiophiles to distinguish them from the subjective woo audiophiles. These guys will chase objective metrics obsessively based purely on amrim's measurements to irrational lengths. They'll cling to some measurement and insist that they can hear the difference even when the measurement difference is purely technical excellence and well outside of any audible range. They're more rational than the subjective audiophiles since they have actual data but they're irrational in the sense that everything that measures less well sounds worse in their minds than something that measure better even if those measurements are clearly going to be inaudible. You see a lot of them in the comments on the ESS IMD hump. When people started investigating the source of the hump suddenly all these people were insisting their ESS DACs that sounded fine before they saw the chart were broken and you had all these guys asking how to solder in new resistors/capacitors to reduce the hump. Meanwhile no one has demonstrated that the hump is audible in otherwise well designed and measuring DACs. Usability and features then become far lesser in importance than chasing that extra 5 db in SINAD.

I'll admit that I have some tendencies toward this too. I ordered a Gustard X16 which measured a 121 db SINAD for XLR out and 118 db for RCA to replace my 107 db SINAD THX Desktop DAC/Amp. Likely that difference is inaudible except for super sensitive IEMs which I don't use with the DAC. I'm sure the sound quality will be identical. But at least I was driven by BT, XLR out and having a remote as well so the better SINAD was only part of the analysis.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Feb 26, 2021

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
A $200 balanced DAC ought to be enough for anybody

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Amir at least notes when things are inaudible, but he can't keep his inner engineer down so he tut-tuts about things that could have been prevented with more effort but are fine within the audible band, which he really shouldn't. Bringing EE back to audiophilia is good, but there's more to audio science than just engineering.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Yeah, bench racing distortion and S/N ratios vastly beyond the capabilities of human hearing is getting kind of stupid. 16 bit audio has a 96dB noise floor and your average room is 30dB of background noise so arguing over an "inferior" DAC with -100 vs the "good" one with -112 is beyond lame. What's funny is Amir points out when he thinks stuff will be audible or not but people just look for quirks in the graphs and go from there.

The good news is you can build a system with objectively better capabilities than the highest of high end electronics not too many years ago for under a grand, connect a raspberry pi with a DAC hat to a Hypex or Purifi amplifier and you have 200 watts at 8 ohms with basically zero distortion and 94% efficiency.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
The advent of the excellent afforable ESS and AKM based DACs along with great class D amps like the Hypex and Purifi amps have basically made excellent audio a commodity. The things that make the biggest difference now are the output devices speakers/headphones and improving the listening space/adjusting for room acoustics with an UMIK and REW or Dirac and a lot of that ends up being personal preference. I bought an UMIK and Dirac Live and equalized the entire frequency range to the target, I found I didn't like the target curve and prefer manually adjusting so I got a refund on Dirac and will just stick to REW. The main things I found with the REW/Dirac was that the Kube 12b has totally sufficient bass that is decent in the 20s and that I have a bizarre null at 233 Hz that seems to make no audible difference but is really distinct on a graph.

In other news, SVS just announced the 1000 Pro series of subs which replaces the 1000 including adding the DSP that's in their higher end offerings. Should be a really good option for the budget and space conscious.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Feb 26, 2021

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Some Goon posted:

Amir at least notes when things are inaudible, but he can't keep his inner engineer down so he tut-tuts about things that could have been prevented with more effort but are fine within the audible band, which he really shouldn't. Bringing EE back to audiophilia is good, but there's more to audio science than just engineering.

Ugh. Yes.

I especially loved their making GBS threads on new test fixtures because they better approximate a human ear for the crime of "being difficult to fit" (nevermind that it's the only fixture that has valid data down to 20Hz and up to 20kHz due to the updated electronics).

It's a legit complaint, but throwing out what is replacing the old fixtures you jerk it to is patently insane

GonadTheBallbarian fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Feb 27, 2021

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

Yuns posted:

The advent of the excellent afforable ESS and AKM based DACs along with great class D amps like the Hypex and Purifi amps have basically made excellent audio a commodity. The things that make the biggest difference now are the output devices speakers/headphones and improving the listening space/adjusting for room acoustics with an UMIK and REW or Dirac and a lot of that ends up being personal preference. I bought an UMIK and Dirac Live and equalized the entire frequency range to the target, I found I didn't like the target curve and prefer manually adjusting so I got a refund on Dirac and will just stick to REW. The main things I found with the REW/Dirac was that the Kube 12b has totally sufficient bass that is decent in the 20s and that I have a bizarre null at 233 Hz that seems to make no audible difference but is really distinct on a graph.

In other news, SVS just announced the 1000 Pro series of subs which replaces the 1000 including adding the DSP that's in their higher end offerings. Should be a really good option for the budget and space conscious.

I’d argue that’s because the ‘magic bullet’ tools are not going to be able to determine why a dip in magnitude response is occurring, and whether or not an EQ fix is appropriate. Even with multiple measurements, the data has to be weighted accordingly. That includes taking things like the usage into account - making a pretty graph in a 10cm window isn’t much use if there’s two sofas of family who have to listen to the system. Humans (with sufficient information and experience) can be quite good at that.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Neurophonic posted:

I’d argue that’s because the ‘magic bullet’ tools are not going to be able to determine why a dip in magnitude response is occurring, and whether or not an EQ fix is appropriate. Even with multiple measurements, the data has to be weighted accordingly. That includes taking things like the usage into account - making a pretty graph in a 10cm window isn’t much use if there’s two sofas of family who have to listen to the system. Humans (with sufficient information and experience) can be quite good at that.
Yes, I was overly optimistic about Dirac's ability to calculate a correction because I only needed to correct for one position, sitting at my desk in a fixed position in near field mode. So while the end graph looked fine and the final response tracked closer to the target curve, the sound was not as subjectively pleasant as manually tweaking things.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Olympic Mathlete posted:

lmao they don't even try to make them properly, look how bad the loving holes are drilled into these. I refuse to believe anyone is stupid enough to buy these.

The only point they get right is environment is a huge factor in how things sound.
So the solution is making a messy room even more cluttered, to improve sound?

If he really was about improving the sound of the room, he should probably first remove that gaudy ceiling fan. I'm pretty certain the plastic blades will reflect a lot of poo poo around the room.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

What's amusing about this is imagining how badly designed an endpoint would need to be to communicate EMI from the network port to the audio pathway.

quote:

nnuos is excited to announce the release of their new PhoenixNET Audiophile-Grade Network Switch, designed
from the ground up for network audio. The PhoenixNET is the realization of Innuos’ philosophy of simplicity and
signal purity applied to the network switch. Having started with improvements to the Ethernet ports’ clock on
their flagship STATEMENT, Innuos has now taken the concept to the next level with a completely new network
switch design that focuses exclusively on audio use.

The design of the PhoenixNET is focused on four areas:

• Minimize Network Switch Noise – Reduces high-frequency noise through a simpler 100Mbps network switch
    chip with no power switching regulators. Connected through high-end Isolation Transformers to individual
    Amphenol RJ45 shielded jacks with no LEDs and complemented with EMI treatment to further prevent noise
    into the circuit.
  • Increase Clocking Precision and Stability – A 3ppb 25MHz OCXO oscillator, as used in our flagship STATEMENT,
    individually powered by its own linear power supply and connected directly to the network switch chip.

• Provide Pristine Power to the Components – Two independent STATEMENT-grade linear power supplies
    designed by Sean Jacobs with CX modules and Mundorf Caps to individually power the OCXO clock and the
    mainboard, keeping the power path short with less opportunity for EMI contamination.

• Minimize Vibration on Components – Vibration managed using custom-designed CNC machined aluminium
    feet with an internal compound tuned to the resonant frequency of the chassis. The top cover is treated to
    convert vibration into small amounts of heat and sturdy RJ45 ports use silicone rings to minimize vibration
    coming from the chassis.

Recommended Retail pricing for the new PhoenixNET Audiophile-Grade Network Switch: $3,499 USD
Also $3500 and it's not even gigbit?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

On the same note, why no fiber solutions? I mean, it decouples circuits. Not that it matters in anyway practically.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Combat Pretzel posted:

On the same note, why no fiber solutions? I mean, it decouples circuits. Not that it matters in anyway practically.
A few months ago a guy on TAS did exactly that, buying thousands of dollars in data center grade fiber network gear because his video doorbell used too much wifi bandwidth. Because he spent so much money there were, of course, obvious benefits:

quote:

The noise floor was appreciably lower, which allowed me to hear more deeply into the music. Interestingly, I could lower the volume setting on the preamp, yet still hear as much detail and musical information as I could at louder levels. Compared to Wi-Fi or a long run of generic copper Ethernet, the soundstage was also notably more spacious, open, and airy-sounding with improved focus on individual instruments and voices. On the whole, the overall presentation was a notably more lifelike and natural-sounding digital streaming system.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Mamma mia! I hope none of these people are in any professional positions where they have to make sensible decisions.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Combat Pretzel posted:

Mamma mia! I hope none of these people are in any professional positions where they have to make sensible decisions.
Scharf is a molecular biologist who was one of the pioneers of PCR thus demonstrating that you can be brilliant in one area and a complete idiot in another area.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

qirex posted:

A few months ago a guy on TAS did exactly that, buying thousands of dollars in data center grade fiber network gear because his video doorbell used too much wifi bandwidth. Because he spent so much money there were, of course, obvious benefits:

That guy is definitely an idiot however the gear he got is nowhere near data centre grade.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Pile Of Garbage posted:

That guy is definitely an idiot however the gear he got is nowhere near data centre grade.

Those tplink adapters are the bottom rung of the media converter catalog, they are fifteen bucks each, same for the optics, OM1 is a bit lame given that the audiophile stuff mentioned in the article costs as much as a decent motorbike. The catalysts mentioned could be a hundo. The basic idea is not entirely mad, esp if you have lot of interference in the power feed(and you cannot fit shielded Ethernet) but the expense for that project is likely less than one single amp.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Feb 28, 2021

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Because I can't leave well enough alone. I'm switching up my desktop nearfield setup.

Here is my current set up

I lack bass management other than the LPF and 3 option eq of my subwoofer. The main speakers are running full range. The system actually sounds just great. I tried an active analog HPF on my main speakers but it added noise and interference to the system.

Here is my new set up

I now have full control over the crossover and eq for both the mains and sub for proper bass management and room eq. As to why I'm not just going with the SHD and adding the complexity of an extra DAC. It's because the SHD doesn't support DSD or MQA or bluetooth and the Gustard doesn't do bass management, eq or crossovers.

Not sure if any of this is worth the time and effort.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Mar 3, 2021

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Use headphones.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I doubt a nearfield environment will benefit much from Dirac but you appear to have created an excellent audiophile Gordian knot. And do you want actual feedback on , say, your idea of a separate, second DAC for high res?

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Combat Pretzel posted:

Use headphones.

One weird trick for not having to do bass management and room eq for a single listener setup.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

qirex posted:

I doubt a nearfield environment will benefit much from Dirac but you appear to have created an excellent audiophile Gordian knot. And do you want actual feedback on , say, your idea of a separate, second DAC for high res?
Sure. Feedback is welcome.

Edit to say that I have very few DSD files or PCM >192 kHz other than a few files made purely for demonstration purposes. MQA might be more relevant if more streaming services adopt it.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Mar 3, 2021

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Lol. Wow, I thought my poo poo was overcomplicated.

Edit: you high pass filter your main output, but it still connects to the sub?

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

LRADIKAL posted:

Lol. Wow, I thought my poo poo was overcomplicated.

Edit: you high pass filter your main output, but it still connects to the sub?
No the HPF is done by the SHD but it has 4 channels and only HPF filters 2 channels to pass to the main speakers.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
OK, that makes more sense!

der ruhige
Nov 12, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hi thread!

I'm building a new enthusiast gaming PC, and wondering if it is worth the extra $250 or so to get a sound card?

I listen to loads of music, and enjoy quality sound both in music and games.

I'm going to be using this motherboard https://rog.asus.com/us/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-x570-f-gaming-model/

and this headset: https://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-360-Special-Gaming-Headset/dp/B01LDTRJG4

I was looking at this sound card: https://us.creative.com/p/sound-blaster/sound-blasterx-ae-5-plus

What do you think?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

der ruhige posted:

I was looking at this sound card: https://us.creative.com/p/sound-blaster/sound-blasterx-ae-5-plus

What do you think?

lmao

ok, are you planning to connect it to a 5 channel (curiously there’s no sub out either) amp/receiver/processor of some kind?

If not, just get a USB stereo DAC+headphone amp for the same money.

Do you have plans for speakers? If so, what are they? That’s going to guide the advice we can give you. But you’d know if you were the target market for that card

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

I think you're in the wrong thread

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I mean that’s a pretty ridiculous card, all things considered

der ruhige
Nov 12, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ok Comboomer posted:

lmao

ok, are you planning to connect it to a 5 channel (curiously there’s no sub out either) amp/receiver/processor of some kind?

If not, just get a USB stereo DAC+headphone amp for the same money.

Do you have plans for speakers? If so, what are they? That’s going to guide the advice we can give you. But you’d know if you were the target market for that card

Probably won't be using speakers at all, so, sounds like the sound card won't be necessary. Let's shift gears here.

As far as DACs go, what do we think of this one? https://www.amazon.com/FiiO-Headphone-Amplifier-Computer-Balanced/dp/B07KR3RF4H

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

der ruhige posted:

Probably won't be using speakers at all, so, sounds like the sound card won't be necessary. Let's shift gears here.

As far as DACs go, what do we think of this one? https://www.amazon.com/FiiO-Headphone-Amplifier-Computer-Balanced/dp/B07KR3RF4H

GonadTheBallbarian posted:

I think you're in the wrong thread

but you're on the right track now. Look at JDS labs, Fiio, Schiit, Drop/massdrop, SMSL

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Mar 4, 2021

der ruhige
Nov 12, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ok Comboomer posted:

but you're on the right track now. Look at JDS labs, Fiio, Schiit, Drop/massdrop, SMSL
Okay, I'll shop around a bit and see what looks good. Thanks folks!

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

qirex posted:

What's amusing about this is imagining how badly designed an endpoint would need to be to communicate EMI from the network port to the audio pathway.

Also $3500 and it's not even gigbit?

I mean that is definitely some audiophile woo, however it's not unbaised. Gigabit does throw out a considerable amount of EMI.

Anyone got any tips or a nice copypasta for how to troll audiophile threads by asking what speakers are best for ASMR?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Apparently Spotify is gonna release a subscription level serving uncompressed audio. Gonna be fun to see how these audiophools are gonna poo poo on it.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

I like tidal's song discovery/radio tool a bit better, but that's literally the only thing keeping me from switching to spotify at this point. I hope that feature does well for spotify

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Combat Pretzel posted:

Apparently Spotify is gonna release a subscription level serving uncompressed audio. Gonna be fun to see how these audiophools are gonna poo poo on it.

1. Well, actually, it's still compressed
2. It's not high resolution, if my DAC doesn't show 384 on the display I cannot achieve full arousal
3. They don't have *insert 1963 jazz album that said person already owns 7 copies of in various formats*

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The audiophools are never going to be happy until a service comes out with Diana Krall's name attached to it.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Which musician had stake in that Toblerone looking ipod which had its own music store where you could buy tunes from? As I remember the music player had a little LED that lit up when it was playing music at the highest quality possible from the store but it turns out the only difference between the lossless music sold elsewhere and the music sold in the specific store was that it had a bit of code or whatever in the tag which made the LED light up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Which musician had stake in that Toblerone looking ipod which had its own music store where you could buy tunes from? As I remember the music player had a little LED that lit up when it was playing music at the highest quality possible from the store but it turns out the only difference between the lossless music sold elsewhere and the music sold in the specific store was that it had a bit of code or whatever in the tag which made the LED light up.
Neil Young, and it was the Pono player which has become semi-legendary among us weirdos who love old mp3 players. It came in a wooden box because audiophiles loving love themselves a wooden box. Also get a load of that ego stoking model number.