Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

WELCOME TO THE LAST SEASON OF THE CURRENT CBA WHICH PROBABLY MEANS THE LAST SEASON FOR LIKE TWO YEARS IDK WHO KNOWS haha j/k the players will probably roll over again and get massively hosed by the owners

MLB.TV SHARING THREAD
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3960688

SPRING TRAINING GDT
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3960696

MLB.COM BANDWAGON GUIDE
https://www.mlb.com/news/best-mlb-bandwagon-teams-for-2021

Looking for video of literally any pitch from a given game?
https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/

idk here's some cool stuff

https://twitter.com/iforgotmyname38/status/1367106370265370624

https://twitter.com/FoxSportsWest/status/1367231885810761728(gently caress Sinclair let me watch baseball you fucks)

https://twitter.com/tatis_jr/status/1386380363312689155

also here's a cute cat I saw when uploading the important dates picture
https://i.imgur.com/pDujEsP.mp4

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Apr 28, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
it’s our year, let’s go Bucs 🏴‍☠️

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Continuing from the last topic...

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Speaking as someone on the outside I’m pretty confident that most people don’t know that Mike Trout is great because it seems that it’s all measured by analytics that most people don’t give a poo poo about.

Like I watched this video the other day

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=92ItQ5h0rSU

And absolutely nothing about it stuck with me and I was just waiting for the dude to tell me what his batting average is and how many hits and home runs he’s on pace for.

But I freely admit I’m a simpleton.
It's not like Trout is just some analytics darling, he's as obviously good as a player could realistically be (in that he's a very big very fast guy and the ball just rockets off his bat) and he's had continual recognition as the best or 2nd best player in baseball basically as soon as he entered the league. The linked video is also insanely boring and just talks about his stats the whole time. There's probably more of those for baseball but there are prominent NBA guys who do that too and can take all the fun out of LeBron James by talking about his foul rate or whatever the gently caress.

He doesn't have a personality and his team sucks but it's not just him in baseball terms. Like I don't know that Betts is famous outside of the context of baseball despite being another all-time great in the making and winning a World Series with 2 of the 4 biggest markets in baseball in the past 3 years. I don't think of Pujols as some household name outside of St. Louis. There aren't many guys who hit the next level of popularity without some combo of steroids and home run records or being a core part of the Yankees when they were winning World Series.

Anyways I remember in January Trout did a sponsored Twitch Warzone stream to ~50 viewers. Lol

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Until he retired this offseason, the most famous professional baseball player was Tim Tebow.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Jackie Bradley Jr. is a brewer.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

R.D. Mangles posted:

2 years, $24 mil. Second year is a player option.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

R.D. Mangles posted:

I will forever love Jackie and his amazing catches, but his offense is so maddeningly inconsistent that I don't really mind that the Red Sox never seriously tried to resign him.

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band
I am excited about the Toronto/Buffalo/Dunedin BJs! Go team!

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Spring Break My Heart posted:

He doesn't have a personality and his team sucks but it's not just him in baseball terms.

It's a two-fold issue with Trout in that he's boring and honestly doesn't seem interested in being the face of the sport, but also baseball fans (of a certain tier and type) and MLB seem to insist that he has to be the guy.

They should be pivoting to the dudes who do want to be the face of the sport and just promoting the hell out of them, because a lot of those dudes are some combo of really fun and really good. Like you said, Betts is probably at the top of that list with Tatis Jr., but there are guys like Didi Gregorius who could totally appeal to people who don't already want to talk about them.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

howe_sam posted:

I will forever love Jackie and his amazing catches, but his offense is so maddeningly inconsistent that I don't really mind that the Red Sox never seriously tried to resign him.

The hot streaks were so much fun, though. And Jackie Bradley, Jr. is an excellent Baseball Name. Brewers fans will enjoy him for his defense and his yearly "hit like Mickey Mantle for a month" stretch.

That the Red Sox went from the Benintendi/JBJ/Betts OF in 2018 to... uh... Renfroe/Cordero/Verdugo is one reason why I'm glad I decided to stop giving a gently caress about the Red Sox when they traded Mookie.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Franchy has the potential to be pretty fun, and Verdugo is probably better than people give him credit for but man it is stark how the Sox turned over a whole roster of fan favorites in short order.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Verdugo will probably be above average. Still doesn't make trading Mookie OK.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Oh not at all, it just kind of sucks for him that he will always be judged against that metric.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
https://twitter.com/Steve_OS/status/1367492152436133898?s=20

Might get this just to see what Forbes Field would do to modern MLB

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
My favorite Jackie Bradley Jr moment is when he was on a 27 game hit streak and so the manage messed with the batting order to put him in lead off and he immediately went hitless.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
trout plays for a lovely team that never makes the playoffs. that’s why he’s comparatively unknown, no need to overthink it

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Yeah if Mike Trout had played in as many postseason series the past decade as Clayton Kershaw, more casual sports fans would know who he is.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

skaboomizzy posted:

https://twitter.com/Steve_OS/status/1367492152436133898?s=20

Might get this just to see what Forbes Field would do to modern MLB

Forget Forbes.

Clark Field

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Well he had a chance to go somewhere else after languishing on that losing team for near a decade and chose to stay so either he believes that the Angels can turn it around or he doesn’t really care.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/ShiDavidi/status/1367508088748662786

Atkins full of poo poo, nothing new!

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Well he had a chance to go somewhere else after languishing on that losing team for near a decade and chose to stay so either he believes that the Angels can turn it around or he doesn’t really care.
I think he cares a great deal but also was easily fooled into thinking the Angels have competent management capable of putting a winning team around him. After all, they have shown a fairly consistent willingness to spend money (their problem is in how they spend the money and how they develop players not named Mike Trout). This happens plenty often. Nolan Arenado was somehow convinced the Rockies were going to turn it around and become a real contender when he signed his huge extension. Of course Arenado is not Trout, so when the team got worse he got pissed, made damning comments to the press about it, and effectively forced a trade. That sort of thing does not seem to be in Trout's nature.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Mar 4, 2021

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
Baseball players in general just don't seem that popular outside of the sport. In the past 30 years, the list of mainstream dudes seems very small to me with Griffey, McGwire, Jeter and A-Rod. I could probably make an argument to include Sosa, Bonds, Clemens and Schilling in that list but 2 of those are almost certainly due to huge cheating scandals accompanying their generational talent and one for being a loud racist in a time when loud racists get noticed

e: I'd probably throw Ichiro on there too because he was basically awesome as gently caress from his first day in MLB coming over from Japan and having a cool name

Johnny Bravo fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Mar 4, 2021

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

There are many worse places to live and work than Anaheim. Dude's making a shitload of money and playing in one of the best possible weather locations in the world while being at LEAST a regional star and playing in a gorgeous stadium. So he probably cares about that stuff. And he's the best player of this generation. So he obviously cares about performance. As for turning it around... roster-wise they always seem like they should be right there, but for whatever reason (Astros) they never quite do. Management-wise... well.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Johnny Bravo posted:

Baseball players in general just don't seem that popular outside of the sport. In the past 30 years, the list of mainstream dudes seems very small to me with Griffey, McGwire, Jeter and A-Rod. I could probably make an argument to include Sosa, Bonds, Clemens and Schilling in that list but 2 of those are almost certainly due to huge cheating scandals accompanying their generational talent and one for being a loud racist in a time when loud racists get noticed

I mean, it’s not a hot take that baseball has seriously declined in national popularity with the explosion of the NFL and NBA. It’s still big in certain individual markets but it’s really suffering among the younger demos. The local Red Sox games get some hilarious ratings numbers where like 90% of the viewers are over 60.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

rickiep00h posted:

playing in a gorgeous stadium
I agree with the thrust of your post in defense of Trout's decision, but lets not get carried away here. Angels stadium is perfectly adequate but falls far short of "gorgeous". If he wanted that piece of the puzzle, along with a real contender, he should have held out to migrate up the 5.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Mar 4, 2021

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

bawfuls posted:

I agree with the thrust of your post in defense of Trout's decision, but lets not get carried away here. Angels stadium is perfectly adequate but falls far short of "gorgeous". If he wanted that piece of the puzzle, along with a real contender, he should have held out to migrate up the 5.

I don't really have any strong feelings against the Dodgers but man the thought of Trout winning a pile of rings wearing Dodger blue is some real sad feeling poo poo

Guess it's better than him in pinstripes at least

mcmagic posted:

MLB.tv isn't on PS5 lol. Clowns.

lmao welp, guess that saves me some money this year

Johnny Bravo fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Mar 4, 2021

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
MLB.tv isn't on PS5 lol. Clowns.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
I look at the AL West and truly wonder to myself who the gently caress is going to win this division by default. None of the teams this year look good. I can see any one of the Angels, Athletics, or Astros winning the division with 85 wins, but I cannot picture any of them winning over 90.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
https://twitter.com/MLB/status/1367490758425608201

I'm honestly surprised it took them this long to make a Lou Gehrig day. My dad is a huge baseball fan and suffers from ALS, so he will appreciate this.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Johnny Bravo posted:

I don't really have any strong feelings against the Dodgers but man the thought of Trout winning a pile of rings wearing Dodger blue is some real sad feeling poo poo
Well worry not, it's too late for that. It's the Mookie show now.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Framber Valdez apparently fractured his ring finger on his pitching hand fielding a ball yesterday, uh, somehow? Not really clear from this clip but it must have bounced into his hand hard.

https://twitter.com/adams_at/status/1367177905500004355

Anyway apparently he could end up missing the entire season because of it, the human body is dumb:

https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/1367479249905602561

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

habeasdorkus posted:

That the Red Sox went from the Benintendi/JBJ/Betts OF in 2018 to... uh... Renfroe/Cordero/Verdugo is one reason why I'm glad I decided to stop giving a gently caress about the Red Sox when they traded Mookie.

Hard same.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Literally no one in Boston can figure out what the Red Sox are doing. Is John Henry aiming to sell the team? Do they think that going full moneyball will work in a big market with a once diehard fanbase as long as they win? There are absolutely a ton Red Sox fans who value having big names and personalities that make the team more interesting to follow over a roster of interchangeables that might win more games.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Sydin posted:

Anyway apparently he could end up missing the entire season because of it, the human body is dumb:

https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/1367479249905602561

I suppose it depends on how it broke. I imagine most of the recovery time will be spent rebuilding strength from the stupid thing being splinted/in a cast for six weeks.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
He also pitched another inning after the comebacker, which may have hosed stuff up to the point it's at now.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I mean, it’s not a hot take that baseball has seriously declined in national popularity with the explosion of the NFL and NBA. It’s still big in certain individual markets but it’s really suffering among the younger demos. The local Red Sox games get some hilarious ratings numbers where like 90% of the viewers are over 60.

I wonder how much of it is broadcasting related. On The Media made a comment that reminded me of baseball the other week, when they mentioned that advertising boycotts of Fox News are only marginally successful because the channel doesn't even need advertising due to how much blood they extract per cable subscriber even if that subscriber abhors everything about the network. This of course is how baseball works with nobody in the stadium. Cable is in this death spiral of older folks who either want to "watch the game" or want to watch politics slack-jawed like a sport that never takes a season off, and they're increasingly paying for each other's content and getting more and more mad. Everybody who wants serialized programming has already left for a streaming network.

(I told my Dad, who has always disliked all sports and says he "doesn't have the Sports Gene", that his addiction to cable news and hot takes about the latest Senator voting this way or that is completely analogous to the sports fan experience, but he didn't get it because one is life or death, war or peace stuff while the other is men hitting ball with bludgeon.)

Most NFL games are on either CBS or Fox, if you're a fan of the Browns then you spent a lot of seasons until very recently never being featured in a national broadcast so I guess that's the exception but even then I think it's just CBS or Fox running a regional game. Most people in major areas can pick up a local affiliate with an antenna or for a small fee. The NBA uses RSNs, but people from all sorts of teams seem to think that NBA on TNT is far better than their homer announcers. I've spent significant time in both MLB and NHL fandoms, the latter not as much in recent years but both leagues are very heavily reliant on RSNs particularly hockey since ESPN never gave the NHL the time of day, and in both leagues having to listen to national broadcast announcers like Joe Buck or Matt Vasgersian do play by play seems to be like pulling teeth to most markets.

Fox has almost figured out how to create a TNT-like atmosphere for baseball by putting A-Rod and Big Papi on a panel together, since those are two popular players known pretty much everywhere. Maybe it's just that baseball fans are more sensitive to quality broadcasting because the game gives you so much dead-air time to fill.

Vin Scully left NBC to focus on Dodgers home pbp in 1989. Jon Miller left ESPN in 2010. Seems like the national play by play booth has suffered since.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Mar 4, 2021

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Literally no one in Boston can figure out what the Red Sox are doing.
Perhaps Henry has concluded that the marginal value of another championship in the near future is minimal. They've won 4 this century including twice in the last decade. The stadium is tiny and like Wrigley can probably be filled most nights even with a bad team. So might as well slash costs and coast on the nostalgia for awhile.

Billionaires gonna billionaire.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Yeah it's almost to a tee what the Cubs are doing. Coast on a recent ring and point to your high payroll as proof that you're not cheaping out, despite having numerous roster holes that you refuse to fill with anything but bargain bin filler. And as bawfuls said having a small, iconic stadium that you're going to fill pretty much every night not just from your own fans but also (hopefully post-COVID) tourists who want to see your historic ballpark probably doesn't hurt either.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Henry is also probably far more interested in European Soccer nowadays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat

Pungry posted:

I look at the AL West and truly wonder to myself who the gently caress is going to win this division by default. None of the teams this year look good. I can see any one of the Angels, Athletics, or Astros winning the division with 85 wins, but I cannot picture any of them winning over 90.

Perfect opportunity for the Mariners to get in the hunt for the playoffs and ultimately lose out by one game.