Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

WhyteRyce posted:

I think League Pass doesnt give you TNT or ESPN games, which is a lot of marquee matchups. Hehestreams is ok but I never came back because “HTML5 video!!” and “CHROMECAST!!” is a poor substitute for a proper phone or streaming box app

I don't understand the problem.

I use hehestreams with Safari on an iPhone, iPad, or MacBook and airplay to an AppleTV. It's fantastic quality, no blackouts, no artificial hardware restrictions, replays available from days before, no limits. It's exactly how League Pass should be.

When I'm watching on the device, not AirPlay, I just full-screen the video. No app necessary.

(edited to not be such an rear end in a top hat, sorry)

duodenum fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Feb 5, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

duodenum posted:

I use hehestreams with Safari on an iPhone, iPad, or MacBook and airplay to an AppleTV. It's fantastic quality, no blackouts, no artificial hardware restrictions, replays available from days before, no limits. It's exactly how League Pass should be.

When I'm watching on the device, not AirPlay, I just full-screen the video. No app necessary.

People want remotes. It gets annoying using your devices to cast things to your TV.

I use nhl.tv and yonder.tv to get around blackouts in the apps and websites on my TV and rokus. Works great.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

People want remotes. It gets annoying using your devices to cast things to your TV.

It's only annoying when you use the same thing you plan to gently caress around with while watching something to do the casting itself.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I use nhl.tv and yonder.tv to get around blackouts in the apps and websites on my TV and rokus. Works great.

Same here. But I do have a question - I use yonder.tv for it's easy DNS-based method of getting around blackouts. And I use NordVPN for my other VPN needs. But my 3-year deal that I signed with Nord is almost up and I was thinking of trying something else.

Is there a VPN service that includes a "DNS-based avoid blackouts" tool (not sure what this is actually called) so I wouldn't have to pay for two services?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

LastInLine posted:

It's only annoying when you use the same thing you plan to gently caress around with while watching something to do the casting itself.

It's annoying more often than that.

There's a reason why Vizio ended up putting apps on their smartcast TVs and mailing all their users a remote that can navigate them

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

LastInLine posted:

Most normal people gently caress around on their phones while watching TV, sports etc so....

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

duodenum posted:

I don’t use Apple TV. On my Shield I used the chromecast but frequently ran into the annoying issue where the controls disappear, which is on top of the usual chromecast annoyances. When working out and using the tablet, the html5 web page is annoying as gently caress because the buttons are not big or easy to hit when moving compared to a proper app with a GUI designed for a tablet, at least when I used it last. I tried some of the third party channels and plex plugins but those all were flaky as hell

Hehestreams is great for the content but their ecosystem is very neckbeardy.

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Feb 7, 2021

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

The Grey posted:

Does youtube only offer stereo sound?

They have all these videos to test your surround sound, but they never work with my rear speakers.

Youtube downmixes everything to 2.0 stereo, so those videos are pointless.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

TheScott2K posted:

It's annoying more often than that.

There's a reason why Vizio ended up putting apps on their smartcast TVs and mailing all their users a remote that can navigate them

I have those TVs but I haven't used the remotes. The nice thing about the apps is that they actually didn't put them on the TV, they're still cast but from Vizio's servers. They aren't stored locally.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Most normal people gently caress around on their phones while watching TV, sports etc so....

I'm not disagreeing with you. I'm saying the solution if you're in that situation is to have a dedicated device for the cast that isn't the thing you're planning on playing with while watching whatever. It's not like we all don't have a ton of spare devices laying around that we can't dedicate one to using the TV.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

LastInLine posted:

I have those TVs but I haven't used the remotes. The nice thing about the apps is that they actually didn't put them on the TV, they're still cast but from Vizio's servers. They aren't stored locally.

Why is that a nice thing?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

LastInLine posted:

No they aren't.

They also run like loving poo poo because none of those TVs were ever intended to scroll menus.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

LastInLine posted:

I'm not disagreeing with you. I'm saying the solution if you're in that situation is to have a dedicated device for the cast that isn't the thing you're planning on playing with while watching whatever. It's not like we all don't have a ton of spare devices laying around that we can't dedicate one to using the TV.

Sounds kind of like a remote without buttons that needs to be plugged in all the time

I do get the benefits of chromecast but i never liked using it as a primary media consumption device. It’s not like there is a real cost benefit vs something like a roku

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Feb 7, 2021

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

WhyteRyce posted:

Sounds kind of like a remote without buttons that needs to be plugged in all the time

I do get the benefits of chromecast but i never liked using it as a primary media consumption device. It’s not like there is a real cost benefit vs something like a roku

Yeah Google themselves have moved away from it to. The latest chromecast is the new Google TV which has a traditional interface and remote like a roku.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

I have one of the Vizio smart cast TVs that don’t have a remote. It pisses me off because the app is crappy and it never connects to the sound bar (also vizio smartcast) and I have to re-pair it every time I want to turn the subwoofer up and down.

The apps are cumbersome and we just solved the problem by moving an extra Xbox one s to the tv to use all the apps.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Canadian here wondering which option would be better for casting from desktop/watching mlb.tv now that they killed the native app on my Samsung smart 4k tv: Roku or Chromecast with Google tv? Eventually we might switch to the NHL streaming that pay through the nose for Centre Ice too I suspect.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Got the wife on board with pausing YTTV for a while. I still think it's the best service overall, but I was tired of essentially paying the sports tax.

So after kind of chuckling at Discovery+ when I first heard about it, I took a good look at our YouTube DVR and realized it's like 90% Food Network and HGTV. So new plan is to get Philo and supplement it with ad-free Discovery+. I figure the DVR would have been the the most jarring downgrade coming from YTTV, so the Discovery access mostly mitigates (and arguably improves upon) that for my use case. True there's now a lot of redundancy with Philo's channel lineup, but as an old who still likes half-watching sitcoms on linear channels I'm good for the $20.

There's a couple things I'll miss but $27 vs $65 is totally worth it for this non-sports-watching household. Also gonna toss in occasional months of other services (possibly even YTTV itself) when there's something I wanna watch, and still come out way ahead. Okay that's my story.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Minidust posted:

Got the wife on board with pausing YTTV for a while. I still think it's the best service overall, but I was tired of essentially paying the sports tax.

So after kind of chuckling at Discovery+ when I first heard about it, I took a good look at our YouTube DVR and realized it's like 90% Food Network and HGTV. So new plan is to get Philo and supplement it with ad-free Discovery+. I figure the DVR would have been the the most jarring downgrade coming from YTTV, so the Discovery access mostly mitigates (and arguably improves upon) that for my use case. True there's now a lot of redundancy with Philo's channel lineup, but as an old who still likes half-watching sitcoms on linear channels I'm good for the $20.

There's a couple things I'll miss but $27 vs $65 is totally worth it for this non-sports-watching household. Also gonna toss in occasional months of other services (possibly even YTTV itself) when there's something I wanna watch, and still come out way ahead. Okay that's my story.

Was just having this convo this weekend. Discover Plus and Hulu have pretty much all we watch. Biggest challenge is just going to be convincing her to get rid of a linear channel surfing style.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
You guys probably already know this, but you can “gift” a year of ad free Discovery plus for $60. So, free ad free I guess.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

You guys probably already know this, but you can “gift” a year of ad free Discovery plus for $60. So, free ad free I guess.

Just keep in mind this is only for new account sign ups and you cannot use it in conjunction with the 7-day free trial. I didn’t read that print and had to set up a second account for the wife / cancel the one I signed up on originally under my name.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Does Discovery+ include all 199 seasons of House Hunters? This is important

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

OldSenileGuy posted:

It includes like 20 seasons of Renovation Realities which is the real hidden gem on that platform.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

I think they're going to implement some sort of streams on Discovery+ soon. It may be not be the literal Food Network/Travel Channel stream, but something to where you can just turn it on and veg out. We're getting a free year through Verizon but so far it does have a ton of what we liked to watch when we had Food Network and Travel Channel.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I know it’s peacock or whatever but if it had bravo that I’d all we’d need.

Last I checked though bravo is still mostly locked behind a cable subscription. Peacock has a few shows but is missing quite a few.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Silly Burrito posted:

I think they're going to implement some sort of streams on Discovery+ soon. It may be not be the literal Food Network/Travel Channel stream, but something to where you can just turn it on and veg out. We're getting a free year through Verizon but so far it does have a ton of what we liked to watch when we had Food Network and Travel Channel.
They actually do have some of these already, but they are very unintuitive to find (at least on the Apple TV app). When you select certain shows they have an option to tune in to a live feed. From my brief time messing around I saw that Property Brothers (the main show specifically; none of the spinoffs) and House Hunters had dedicated channels. I have to imagine they'll push some of these to the "Home" tab at some point; seems rather silly for them to remain so tucked away!

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

great to know, thanks!

BonoMan posted:

Was just having this convo this weekend. Discover Plus and Hulu have pretty much all we watch. Biggest challenge is just going to be convincing her to get rid of a linear channel surfing style.
I do still wish this was a thing... it's especially annoying if you happen to be using a remote that has a channel +/- button right there! Works well enough on Pluto at least.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

FCKGW posted:

It includes like 20 seasons of Renovation Realities which is the real hidden gem on that platform.

This is truth.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Sling has had a thing for integrating as a “channel” input for our tv for like a year and a half and they haven’t enabled it yet. Drives me goddamn nuts. Our former roommate works for Dish or whoever owns them and hooked us up so I can’t really complain. Though goddamn I wish they’d get that going and fix their Oculus app.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

FCKGW posted:

absolutely the best show on hgtv. always makes me laugh and i learned what not to do with diy projects.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

OldSenileGuy posted:

This was half a joke, but you’ve all failed me by not telling me they actually don’t have House Hunters on there at all.

They have every other permutation of House Hunters, but for OG House Hunters they only have a 24-hr streaming channel. Which is ok, but not when you get a dud couple

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Apparently the new season of good eats is a d+ exclusive. Idk about the rest of that stuff but that’s about enough to get me to try it alone.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

OldSenileGuy posted:

This was half a joke, but you’ve all failed me by not telling me they actually don’t have House Hunters on there at all.

They have every other permutation of House Hunters, but for OG House Hunters they only have a 24-hr streaming channel. Which is ok, but not when you get a dud couple

House Hunters: Family - 2 seasons
House Hunters: Comedians on Couches - 1 season
House Hunters: Outside the Box - 1 season
House Hunters: Where are they Now? - 1 season
House Hunters: International - 2 seasons

Classic House Hunters - only the "On Now" section. Wonder why that is.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
That’s a whooooole lot fewer episodes than you get through the HGTV Go app with a cable sub.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

I just checked and 90 day fiancé is the same way

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Apparently, this is over now. The website now has a year for $83.75 which is $6.97 a month. I was going to sign up this weekend for a year so I could use it in school. Darn it.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
I've been on Hulu Live for the past couple of years, but I feel like its channel lineup isn't comparable at this point with YouTube TV.

I've been thinking about switching over and just keeping regular Hulu for the backlog, but I have what feels like an incredibly dumb question: do I lose anything other than their live TV channels by going from Hulu Live to regular Hulu? Like, will anything in the "My Stuff" watchlist not be accessible or something? I realize that I'll lose anything in my DVR that was only available live, but I guess I'm wondering if Hulu's library is enhanced or expanded in some way if you also have Live that I'm missing.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Your library currently has all of the station On demand stuff that's not necessarily part of the regular hulu catalog. So you could end up losing stuff.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

bull3964 posted:

Your library currently has all of the station On demand stuff that's not necessarily part of the regular hulu catalog. So you could end up losing stuff.

Thank you for phrasing it in a smart way instead of the extremely confusing way I was phrasing it!

Dang. I wish it was easier to see which items are on-demand and which are catalog.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Paramount+ throwing their hat in the ring for worst relaunch.

Where's the content guys?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Photex posted:

Paramount+ throwing their hat in the ring for worst relaunch.

Where's the content guys?

They have a new sponge bob movie. what more do you want :v:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The back catalog of comedy central stuff is appreciated, but the library of Paramount movies is severely lacking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

bull3964 posted:

The back catalog of comedy central stuff is appreciated, but the library of Paramount movies is severely lacking.

the problem is the back catalog of comedy central was already there, it's not Paramount+ exclusive content.