Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Thanks Ants posted:

Either find a way to push that guy out of the organisation or get a new job

He's taking cybersecurity classes at the local comm. college. Which means he sits in his office with the door closed doing class work a couple hours a day. Whenever he learns about some great new thing to implement he comes out and tells us all about it.

I'm hoping once he gets his associates in cyber security he will move on to a bigger place to harass other people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Don’t ever do anything outside of your regular 8 hours (unless you are on call.). This includes answering Teams/Slack and email. If you do, people will expect you to always respond after hours. Set the expectation and boundaries early.

Edit:
Just to be clear, there can be exceptions, but they should be rare and involve a quid pro quo of some sort. If you don't put a value on your personal life and time, then the company won't either.

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Mar 3, 2021

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I said it in the infosec thread, but if you are leaving your on-prem exchange servers open to the internet without installing the latest patch, you are a supreme loving moron. This latest bunch of vulnerabilities are as bad as they get from about every aspect.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The real lesson is to not do on-prem email because it's a loving horrible job and a horrible burden.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yeah, the problem is Microsoft still requires on-prem Exchange for many environments and once that server is there the temptation is too great for idiots to put mailboxes there.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
The only thing I miss about having on-prem Exchange is I have to handle email distribution groups 100% in the cloud, which is honestly fine because I have to handle Teams and SharePoint Microsoft groups in the M365 environment instead of through synced AD anyway. (and you make make the affiliated MS group an email distribution group)

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

klosterdev posted:

The only thing I miss about having on-prem Exchange is I have to handle email distribution groups 100% in the cloud, which is honestly fine because I have to handle Teams and SharePoint Microsoft groups in the M365 environment instead of through synced AD anyway. (and you make make the affiliated MS group an email distribution group)

What is the pain point here?

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
I used to manage all my groups in On-Prem AD so everything was organized in one place. When we killed On-Prem Exchange it meant I had to manage security groups in one place (I use nested grouping) and email groups in another, but it became moot because I finally got the chance to push out Teams/SharePoint like I wanted so it became a thing we would all had to do anyway.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Making this morning suck: user treating ticket updates like it's a live chat. A dozen updates in the past five minutes with one or two words, even a couple with a sad face and NOTHING ELSE.

Every single update generates an email that gets sent to 10 people.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

xzzy posted:

The real lesson is to not do on-prem email because it's a loving horrible job and a horrible burden.

Hey if we don't have servers and software here I won't have a job!

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

The initial launch may take a while. In fact, I have experienced that two or three launches may be required before the application successfully opens for the first time.

:cawg:

https://community.jaspersoft.com/wiki/getting-started-jaspersoft-studio-and-microsoft-mssql

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Not pissing me off per se, but I feel weird about it:

There is another engineer on my team that started a couple weeks after me, and having worked with him for the last 3 months I can confidently say that he is at least as good as I am at most of the things we work on.

I discovered today that he was hired as 'Cloud Engineer' while I was hired as 'Senior Cloud Engineer'

I know that titles are usually pretty meaningless, but in this context there is a direct correlation to the salary level.

I don't plan on saying anything, but I feel weird about it. I guess I just did a better job negotiating up front than he did?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

The Fool posted:

There is another engineer on my team that started a couple weeks after me, and having worked with him for the last 3 months I can confidently say that he is at least as good as I am at most of the things we work on.

I discovered today that he was hired as 'Cloud Engineer' while I was hired as 'Senior Cloud Engineer'

I know that titles are usually pretty meaningless, but in this context there is a direct correlation to the salary level.

I don't plan on saying anything, but I feel weird about it. I guess I just did a better job negotiating up front than he did?

Did he come in with less experience or education? Maybe you can put a good word in to his manager and hope that take it into account during reviews/promotions/whatever

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

The Fool posted:

Make friends :colbert:

Negotiation is a professional skill all on its own.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

The Fool posted:

They got this person for as cheap as they could. They probably left money on the table.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Sickening posted:

What is the pain point here?

There are actually a few, if you want to keep your on-prem AD clean of the Exchange schema and consequently don't install the "management" copy of Exchange, instead doing all alias management through AD attributes. The biggest is things like limiting group senders and hiding from GAL - those are Exchange only attributes so if you have a clean AD without Exchange schema, you can't do it by default. Usual workaround is using one of the 15 custom attributes to store that information, at least for GAL hiding - it's been a while since I've dealt with it so I don't quite recall what was possible for limiting group sending. Either way this only happens if you don't follow Microsoft's guidelines, which are to install Exchange locally for management. We simply don't bother anymore - A) that's a lot of schema mods to clutter up AD with just for some minor abilities (and a friendly GUI) and B) most of the new-user stuff is being done through Powershell anyway so setting attributes is 90% done by script, and for the group aspect:

klosterdev posted:

it became moot because I finally got the chance to push out Teams/SharePoint like I wanted so it became a thing we would all had to do anyway.

Yeah.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Sickening posted:

They got this person for as cheap as they could. They probably left money on the table.

This right here. If you really care, help them develop their negotiation skills for the future.

sixth and maimed
Mar 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
No longer pissing me off since I :yotj: the gently caress out of there - just in time, as it seems ...

I've told here before the positive COVID case in my office speeded up my notice period considerable as I had the audacity to complain about not being notified despite being high risk. Last Friday was my last day. I talked to an ex-colleague today and learned that since then
- 4 more colleagues have tested positive, including the owner.
- HR sent out another notice that the situation is still low-risk, and that the cases aren't related because one colleage has regular COVID and another one has the Brittish variant.
- One colleague was feeling sick but still went into the office for half a day. This is an office in another location.
- A nurse came in to administer quick tests to everybody in my office. This nurse is the wife of the guy that first tested positive but that's okay because she was suited up.

So yeah, very happy I'm no longer working there. I was supposed to be on-site yesterday before they let me go earlier. Dodged a bullet!

Also, two more people are looking to :yotj: ... Two already left, three are going on pension this year and four are actively looking for another job - that makes 9 on a total of +-35. Good job, people!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

sixth and maimed posted:

- HR sent out another notice that the situation is still low-risk, and that the cases aren't related because one colleage has regular COVID and another one has the Brittish variant.

Holy poo poo that is not better. :yikes:

If they've got four cases popping now from separate sources, and one of them is the british variant, you've potentially lost the entire building to COVID already.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
what the gently caress

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Honestly it's petty but seeing a place you left do things that just continue to justify your decision is a real mood booster

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I have one verbal offer and one "we should be finalising this and getting in touch very shortly" pending.

I am looking forward to :yotj:ing but man HR departments take forever to spin up contracts.

Whipstickagostop
Apr 30, 2006

Planet: Xeno Prime
I just found out that the stinky electrician we used to pay to do work at our head office is still doing work at one of the directors' properties for the leisure business his wife runs.

He stopped doing work at our head office because it turned out he did not have any of the necessary qualifications/certifications to work on commercial/industrial electrics.

I work in the oil and gas industry. How we never became Buncefield Mk II I have no idea.

Anyway, I found this out as the director called me this morning, saying that both workstations in the office could not connect to the internet (he is working from there during COVID as the leisure business is shut to the public and is on his property).
After a bit of troubleshooting I found that both machines were on a completely different subnet to the rest of the network.
I ask if anyone has plugged anything in lately and he tells me "Oh yeah smelly Pete (yes he actually called him that) installed a new CCTV system for me!".

After checking he didn't accidentally plug the CCTV IP camera ports into the rest of the network, we found it was being caused by the switch he used.

Or rather the router he used. He couldnt be bothered to run more than one cable for the IP cameras at the other side of the property and didnt have a network switch, so he just used a loving home router he had spare instead. With DHCP still enabled on it, naturally.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Does he smell like BO, piss, or cigarettes?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
this is my first experience doing PRs where build tests take like 30 minutes to complete, and half the time they flake and you need to redo the whole test series

this is agony i have no idea how devs do this all the time

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Whipstickagostop
Apr 30, 2006

Planet: Xeno Prime

Bob Morales posted:

Does he smell like BO, piss, or cigarettes?

A combination of wet dog, BO and a vegetable compost bin. I felt a bit sorry for him at first as it brought back memories of a kid in primary school who smelled similar. The headmaster sat us all down before he came to our class and explained it was down to his medication and he couldn't help it. But after several departments refused to let him work near their desks and one of the directors had a quiet word with him, it turned out he just didnt shower or wash his clothes.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

The Iron Rose posted:

this is my first experience doing PRs where build tests take like 30 minutes to complete, and half the time they flake and you need to redo the whole test series

this is agony i have no idea how devs do this all the time

I deal with this by carving out time to investigate why the hell we have a 30 minute test run, and doing something about it. Usually that involves converting a bunch of integration tests into unit tests, in turn usually requiring refactors of sections of code to make them at all testable.

Flaky tests usually deserve more effort. If something is flaking because of a timing issue then that's a bug to be fixed, because customers are probably seeing it and being annoyed by it. If it's something wrong with the CI environment itself, that's my personal hell because I don't have the level of expertise there, and I'll usually reach out to someone who does.

In any case, my preferred way to approach it is to tackle a small piece of it at a time, see if I can shave just a few minutes off. Get some results, don't disappear into a cave for weeks while the rest of the people work on product features, and then next time planning rolls around carve out a little more time for another round. Smart engineers don't fight you doing this unless you're actively ruining the team's ability to deliver on commitments, which is almost impossible if you're improving build times.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Thanks Ants posted:

Honestly it's petty but seeing a place you left do things that just continue to justify your decision is a real mood booster

It's not justification at this point, it's a ticker-tape parade and a Nobel Prize for Making The Right Choice.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Stop magically taking over the PDF association, Microsoft Edge. Quit asking if I want to try you or make you the default.

Actually, go away completely, Microsoft Edge. Nobody likes you, nobody wants you.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
I feel like some desktop/end user kinda folks were excited about Edge recently but I never bothered to figure out why. Chrome/Firefox 4 lyfe

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Chromium Edge is Good

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I’d rather Edge opened PDFs than having to use Adobe Reader or whatever.

Maybe one day Outlook will be able to preview PDFs natively :argh:

Weedle
May 31, 2006

sumatra pdf is the only good pdf reader anymore. i still keep adobe reader around for filling forms but avoid it whenever possible

https://www.fosshub.com/Sumatra-PDF.html

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

lament.cfg posted:

Chromium Edge is Good

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

lament.cfg posted:

Chromium Edge is Good

:hmmyes:

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Chromium edge is basically chrome with bing as the default search engine and a shopping extension pre-installed

It’s fine, but I don’t like the WebKit monopoly on website rendering

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

The Fool posted:

Chromium edge is basically chrome with bing as the default search engine and a shopping extension pre-installed

It’s fine, but I don’t like the WebKit monopoly on website rendering

I don't love the monopoly either, but calling Edge that is doing it a disservice. It also allows users to log into the browser to sync their settings with their Microsoft account, allows for seamless SSO for that, and lets you do some other neat stuff with Microsoft solutions. We'll be switching our default browser over to it from Chrome here pretty shortly.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Internet Explorer posted:

I don't love the monopoly either, but calling Edge that is doing it a disservice. It also allows users to log into the browser to sync their settings with their Microsoft account, allows for seamless SSO for that, and lets you do some other neat stuff with Microsoft solutions. We'll be switching our default browser over to it from Chrome here pretty shortly.

When are you going to change your name to Edge?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Gonna pay for IE to get a name change to Edge.PDF