Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Oh man I did melatonin a few times and once I slept so funky my chest hurt to breathe. Just strained it so hard. That was scary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

FML, I've lost my fire tolerance. Ordered pad thai from the legit Thai place across the street, asked for 4/5 on fire. I've had 3, 4, and 5. 5 was unbearable, 3 was meh, last time 4 was just right.

This is painful, bordering on "loving ow". Very tasty pain. But my face used to just go numb when I got hit with supremely spicy stuff, this actually hurts. I've lost a lot of :supaburn: tolerance. :cry:

everdave posted:

STR a 96k mile Matrix you already own is the smart answer, I say wistfully gazing upon my backyard with some of the most bizarre cars you can imagine. But I also understand wanting to be more comfortable.

The Matrix needs a complete suspension overhaul (including ALL bushings) - the steering is just a slight suggestion, and it darts in random directions when you get on/off the gas. Just easing into the clutch a little with the parking brake on results in the front wheels jumping forward a bit. It has stalling issues when cold (though not nearly as bad since I replaced the intake manifold gasket; no longer throwing lean codes and fuel trims are back to normal), the clutch is going (AGAIN) on it too; this clutch has ~15k on it.

And I kinda hate it since it's manual everything. I rather like keyless entry, PW/PL, etc. Also, only one VERY WORN OUT key. New key is over $150 from the dealer (plus programming), current key is too worn to copy; it barely opens the driver's door and is fiddly with the ignition (it's also throwing codes for the ignition transponder; it'll occasionally refuse to start over that). If you pray for an hour, the key might open the hatch. Passenger side door? Not a chance. It needs a new key cut via VIN. And to be totally honest, I just don't WANT the Matrix.

RIP Paul Walker posted:

It’s even easier than that, it’s so accessible and the marks are so easy. So easy.

Also, you may find that the front main seal isn’t contaminating the timing belt. The cover is easy to pull to confirm. Does it make any noise from the timing belt area that concerns you?

No odd noises at all, anywhere, aside from an exhaust leak on the driver's side. If I had to guess, it's probably the manifold to Y pipe gasket. It's been beaten so much on trails and such that at one point the entire exhaust got shoved up into the rear driveshaft; I had to climb under it and heave on it (it was making horrific clacking noises with the exhaust shoved up into the heat shield). There's not so much as a bearing whine under the hood; it'll squeal one of the belts if I hit a deep puddle, but it's overdue for accessory belts anyway.

e: the bent exhaust came from powering through a trail that I had no business being on; the car was borderline high centered with the tires barely making contact with the side of the ruts... it was either go full send @ WOT or try to back out (and likely get stuck as soon as I stopped). I went full send. :haw:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Mar 4, 2021

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
STR you ollllllddddd.

I feel your pain. I used to order wings dripping in hot sauce, would finish the wings and then grab the wax paper from the basket and squeeze the sauce down my throat. Now that might actually kill me.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Oh I'm still eating it, just not as fast as I would have before.

Also the box weighs like 5 pounds. This is enough food for DAYS.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

STR posted:

Oh I'm still eating it, just not as fast as I would have before.

Also the box weighs like 5 pounds. This is enough food for DAYS.

"Are we ordering a lot of food because we're depressed due to quarantining? Or is this just smart meal planning?" is definitely a conversation we've had here.

gently caress, I'm going to miss the thai food here in LA when we move back to SF in a couple weeks.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

luminalflux posted:

"Are we ordering a lot of food because we're depressed due to quarantining? Or is this just smart meal planning?" is definitely a conversation we've had here.

gently caress, I'm going to miss the thai food here in LA when we move back to SF in a couple weeks.

I wonder what is the most amount of state borders you could traverse in the same distance from LA to SF assuming you went in a straight line.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Coredump posted:

I wonder what is the most amount of state borders you could traverse in the same distance from LA to SF assuming you went in a straight line.

I'm waiting for a build to finish at work, so I imagine 8 borders in 350 miles is very close to the upper limit.

Maine
New Hampshire
Mass
Connecticut
New York
NJ
Pennsylvania
Delaware
Maryland

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Coredump posted:

Quickly poking at google maps, it's about 360 miles from LA to SF as the crow flies. Same distance, same rules, if you start in Alexandria, VA you can touch DC, Maryland, Delaware, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, New York, back into New Jersey, back into New York, Connecticut, briefly tickle Rhode Island, and land in a forest just inside Massachusetts.

(I really don't have much to do at work today.)

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Bouncing off of Staten Island and back into NJ is a pro move.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

everdave posted:

STR a 96k mile Matrix you already own is the smart answer, I say wistfully gazing upon my backyard with some of the most bizarre cars you can imagine. But I also understand wanting to be more comfortable.

And Elviscat what is this magic pill that will make me happy? I go to the doctor next week if anyone has a suggestion on something for anxiety or mental health I will research and ask about. I am on nothing now, my choice, to see how it would go for 6 weeks. Not going so good

Serious: don’t take a drat thing if your still drinking. Tell the doctor.

I have been on a plethora of them, Abilify and Wellbutrin worked best. I have had prescriptions for ambien and xanax. Not worth it. Everyone is different.

But for the love of god some of those don’t mix at all with alcohol.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

goatse guy posted:

Wellbutrin
:shiver:

I was on a whole pile of anti-depressants in college, including Wellbutrin XR. That stuff is such a crapshoot. Seriously, best of luck.

I've been through:
Zoloft
Paxil
Efexxor
Wellbutrin
Celexa
Topamax

I ended up on the last 4, all in high doses, for about 2 years. It helped for a while, then the drugs started basically taking my life away from me. It took me almost a year to wean myself off them all. Depression is still something I'm aware of in my head, but it's manageable through other means. I spent a lot of that year of reduction-of-consumption of the drugs to do some soul searching, figure out why I thought the way I thought, and make some big changes. If you don't have a good therapist, I'd recommend finding one, they help a lot. And don't be afraid to switch from shrink to shrink. You'll know in 3-4 visits if it's a good fit.

::edit::

rdb posted:

Serious: don’t take a drat thing if your still drinking. Tell the doctor.

I have been on a plethora of them, Abilify and Wellbutrin worked best. I have had prescriptions for ambien and xanax. Not worth it. Everyone is different.

But for the love of god some of those don’t mix at all with alcohol.
This. Do not lie to the drat shrink. There are some bad interactions if you're drinking.

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Mar 4, 2021

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Bajaha posted:

It should. They're typically integrated into the rear taillight. Set your headlight switch to either park lights or low beams, then pull the switch out until you feel it click into the second detente, that'll be the rear fog. Typically it'll show as an amber coloured fog light indicator on the dash, with the forward fog lights beyond a green indicator.
Even with massively reduced days commuting into work I still see several cars each morning driving around with only their daytime running lights on. The thought they'd have the sense to use fog lights correctly is funny.

Coredump posted:

How much melatonin do you take? I was taking anywhere from 5 mg to 20 mg and it would work for a bit but then stop working after a while. But recently became aware of this:
https://news.mit.edu/2001/melatonin-1017
With melatonin stick to low dose, 3-5mg, and try to cycle it on and off as it eventually stops being effective. I would do three weeks on, one week off and that worked well for a really long time. Another option is only take it a couple times a week.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

sharkytm posted:

I was on a whole pile of anti-depressants in college, including Wellbutrin XR. That stuff is such a crapshoot. Seriously, best of luck.

loving wellbutrin. I was put on that in college to treat ADD because they wanted me to quit smoking too. God dammit. I felt too worthless to attend followup appointments and just stopped taking it.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Safety Dance posted:

loving wellbutrin. I was put on that in college to treat ADD because they wanted me to quit smoking too. God dammit. I felt too worthless to attend followup appointments and just stopped taking it.

Different drugs help different people. Some people are fine on one drug and a low dose. Others (like me) needed the max dose of 4 drugs at once to not be completely hosed.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Safety Dance posted:

I'm waiting for a build to finish at work, so I imagine 8 borders in 350 miles is very close to the upper limit.

Maine
New Hampshire
Mass
Connecticut
New York
NJ
Pennsylvania
Delaware
Maryland

If it doesn't need to be a straight line you can loop in VT (take 101 across then 91 down) then 90 east, 146 south and 95 South to get RI before you go for CT and NY.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Clonazepam is brilliant for people with most any psychological condition because you can take such low doses and it lasts so long, but it still takes a little bit of the edge off without interacting with a lot*

Otherwise welbutrin, venlafaxine, and citalopram are all great meds in different categories for the depression/anxiety/ADHD stuff, would personally recommend each one. Welbutrin is especially good because it has much fewer drug interactions and has very mild side effects when compared to other drugs in its category

*unless you have severe respiratory depression or take meds that cause serious respiratory depression

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Plumbers destroyed my back yard putting in the new drain pipe yay

Spent all day trying to put back pieces of sod in and I'm pretty sure it's all gonna die anyway, I'm covered with dirt and my back hurts, I just need to hire people to do poo poo but it's so hard. I want to do poo poo myself but I physically can't anymore and it's hard to find good people to do it.

Maybe i should just move into a drat condo :v:

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Plumbers destroyed my back yard putting in the new drain pipe yay

Spent all day trying to put back pieces of sod in and I'm pretty sure it's all gonna die anyway, I'm covered with dirt and my back hurts, I just need to hire people to do poo poo but it's so hard. I want to do poo poo myself but I physically can't anymore and it's hard to find good people to do it.

Maybe i should just move into a drat condo :v:

Then you can loudly complain that your neighbor's shrubs are too leggy.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*

sharkytm posted:

I took it when I was in high school and it was horrible. I ended up missing a lot of school because of how agitated and moody it made me. My psychiatrist really wanted to try it because I also have ADHD and stimulants aren't a super great idea for people with addiction issues, so I did and now I have motivation, energy, and am in a good mood most days.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

sharkytm posted:

Pros and cons

Pro: don't have to deal with landscaping

Con: Can't crank my guitar amp to 11

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

sharkytm posted:

I don't know what this even means, but it sure did make me smile :D

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Coredump posted:

I have done SF->LA->SF in a day to look at a house and eat tacos. We left at 8am, got home around midnight. Even with 2 drivers and beating most of rush hour I don't recommend that at all.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

The Door Frame posted:

Clonazepam is brilliant for people with most any psychological condition because you can take such low doses and it lasts so long, but it still takes a little bit of the edge off without interacting with a lot*

Also known as Klonopin.

Been on it a few years. It's very (physically) addictive, but it was a life changer for me. Bitch to get off of, though, like any other benzo.

luminalflux posted:

$12. This was a single serving of pad thai. Now I know why the owner's husband is so.... rotund.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

STR posted:

$12. This was a single serving of pad thai. Now I know why the owner's husband is so.... rotund.

Everything really is bigger in texas, huh.

I just got put on Elevil (amitryptiline) for tension headaches. Noticed some mood issues in the begining, now I'm just very hard to get out of bed in the morning.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

sharkytm posted:

Different drugs help different people. Some people are fine on one drug and a low dose. Others (like me) needed the max dose of 4 drugs at once to not be completely hosed.

Yeah, this is super true. I'm finally talking to a therapist and a psychiatrist after thinking about it for years, and it's making me realize how different my life might have been if I'd had support and had gotten on the right meds at the right time.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Weird to hear so many negative reactions to welbutrin, I'm actually bummed that welbutrin is now too dangerous for me to take, it was the best ADHD med I had. Same with the Effexor/venlafaxine, best antidepressant, but now too dangerous for me. Now I just have Adderall and Lamotrigine, not bad at their jobs, but lamotrigine is real bad for your liver and Adderall is too peaky for me

Adderall highs are too high and lows too low, I want a steady ability to get things done and to stay focused instead of a sharp jump up with 5 hours of focused momentum, followed by a hard crash

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

The Door Frame posted:

Adderall highs are too high and lows too low, I want a steady ability to get things done and to stay focused instead of a sharp jump up with 5 hours of focused momentum, followed by a hard crash

Have you tried the slow release Concerta? The lows once it wears off completely at the end of the day are still there but they might not be as bad as with Adderall.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

The Door Frame posted:

Are you on the extended release? I literally started on the smallest quick release adderall dosage on Wednesday and I see what you mean about it being peaky.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Safety Dance posted:

Yeah, this is super true. I'm finally talking to a therapist and a psychiatrist after thinking about it for years, and it's making me realize how different my life might have been if I'd had support and had gotten on the right meds at the right time.

High five!
Mental health is loving important and far too few people recognize that until it's too late.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
TMI

everdave fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Mar 6, 2021

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy
Klonopin is a benzo, so be -extra- careful around alcohol. It sucks but brain stuff seems to be completely trial and error since effects, both positive and negative, are differnt for everyone so don't draw too many conclusions from other folks experiences. And it's not just the rx, but also the way you take it that will require some work to figure out. I've known multiple people that have gone from effective but miserable from side effects, to better all-around just by changing the time of day they take it.

I hope you can find a Doc that understands you and that you work well and be honest with. I should really practice what I preach and find a therapist instead of waiting till I'm completely spun out and calling the EAP hotline for 3 freebies.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

cakesmith handyman posted:

Maybe for once the sensible option is the sensible option?
Frankly, as a family wagon... yes, probably.

They drive ok, like the tall Astra they are, they ride ok, you can shovel a load of stuff into them, and they're surprisingly comfortable to just plug along a motorway in.

They are a bit roly-poly if you try and stick them into roundabouts, but that's not exactly a shock, and if they've got cheap tyres they'll squeal them with surprisingly mild cornering, but otherwise, they do their job pretty well.

I wonder if you can find a VXR cheap...

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
March keeps delivering. Not only did my car fail it’s Warrant of Fitness, (leaking steering rack, rear pads, discs need a skim, park brake loose, faded headlights), we’re in a snap 7 day lockdown cos one infected family lied to contact tracers and people been working and going to the gym while infected, then this morning we got this:

My area is fine but others at higher risk have been evacuated.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

My doctor is adamantly against ER and XR versions of adderall because generic formulations can have very inconsistent dose delivery. I haven't complained because it makes sense and I want to get the right amount of drugs at the right time
However, I've wanted Vyvanse for years, but I'll actually push on it in my next visit because I quit nicotine entirely and the adderall is my last trigger for nicotine cravings. I always used smoking to even out the ups and downs of adderall, so even though it's been long enough without nicotine that I feel no desire to smoke when I'm not taking my meds, the 4 peaks and troughs I go through when I want to be a productive human being make me really want to smoke due to a decade's worth of habit

monsterzero posted:

Klonopin is a benzo, so be -extra- careful around alcohol. It sucks but brain stuff seems to be completely trial and error since effects, both positive and negative, are differnt for everyone so don't draw too many conclusions from other folks experiences. And it's not just the rx, but also the way you take it that will require some work to figure out. I've known multiple people that have gone from effective but miserable from side effects, to better all-around just by changing the time of day they take it.

I hope you can find a Doc that understands you and that you work well and be honest with. I should really practice what I preach and find a therapist instead of waiting till I'm completely spun out and calling the EAP hotline for 3 freebies.

Truth man, I tried changing up my dosing schedule because work was messing with my ability to adhere to the old schedule, and I ended up zonking out so hard that I would be falling asleep standing because I'd take my first dose immediately when I woke up. Went back to the old schedule and suddenly I stopped having problems
Weird the difference that a few hours makes

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
TMI

everdave fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Mar 6, 2021

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

sharkytm posted:

High five!
Mental health is loving important and far too few people recognize that until it's too late.

emptyquoting the poo poo out of this

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

builds character posted:

emptyquoting the poo poo out of this

Same

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
Will contribute to the psych med discussion tomorrow. I too have some bad brains and have a lot of experience.

Right now though, I'm pretty depressed. That girl I'm dating that I complained about earlier in the thread just canceled on me at the last second again.

I'm really depressed honestly. But I do feel a little bit relieved because at least now I know she does not respect my time. This has been causing me too much grief and I have decided that I'm going to just end it.

On the plus side I'm flying to Austin Texas next Wednesday to visit with some friends. At least I have that to look forward to...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Hey I do know exactly what it means. But I’m done with med chat I’ll talk to my doctor in a few days.

Edit: sorry to hear that 64bit