Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

I'd say they also introduce a bunch of QoL features for those who know where to look, such as introducing more raid dens with Pokemon you can't get in the main story (or to get certain monsters with HAs). Also there are more resources to gather that makes optimizing for competitive easier, such as places that spawn mints or EV feathers. Also some uses of the Cram-o-matic make it far easier to get things like bottle caps or maximize profits on crap you collect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

I still think you should be able to summon NPCs to join you in a raid battle if you have their trainer card, and they’ll bring better Pokémon if you have their second one. Let the trainer cards actually have some functionality and help us out with raids. Want to do a raid battle on a bug type? Ask the fire gym leader to lend you a hand!

I’m pretty sure characters even say, “Let me know if you ever need anything!” without giving us the ability to actually ask for their help.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Zuzie posted:

I'd say they also introduce a bunch of QoL features for those who know where to look, such as introducing more raid dens with Pokemon you can't get in the main story (or to get certain monsters with HAs). Also there are more resources to gather that makes optimizing for competitive easier, such as places that spawn mints or EV feathers. Also some uses of the Cram-o-matic make it far easier to get things like bottle caps or maximize profits on crap you collect.

For the fashionata among us the DLC introduces apricorns so you can get your hands on rare balls. Granted it took 1,998 yellow apricorns for me to get 5 moon balls and I had the Gaming Gods smiling down on me for that result.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Oxyclean posted:

It feels kind of like a last minute "oh shoot, we need to foreshadow things a bit more" But I really can't get over the tone/writing of the first interruption. It seems so weird and halfway between "we are the villains" and "ha ha silly fun times"?

Something that got me wondering: Olena's pokemon team seems very much themed around "beauty" but ends on Garbador.

Garbador was her first pokemon or something like that, the trainer card for her goes into it i think

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Nessa posted:

I still think you should be able to summon NPCs to join you in a raid battle if you have their trainer card, and they’ll bring better Pokémon if you have their second one. Let the trainer cards actually have some functionality and help us out with raids. Want to do a raid battle on a bug type? Ask the fire gym leader to lend you a hand!

I’m pretty sure characters even say, “Let me know if you ever need anything!” without giving us the ability to actually ask for their help.

Making the random npcs better or improving matchmaking would make the raid battles so much more fun.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Oxyclean posted:

Olena's pokemon team seems very much themed around "beauty" but ends on Garbador.

Garbodor is beautiful

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Oleana is "beautiful on the outside, ugly on the inside."

And yes, garbodor is a good boi

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I still remember someone making up a story about how Garbodor was actually her first friend when she was a dirt poor child, but I don't believe that canon.

But I think it has more to do with her being a scientist first and foremost. While she has a bunch of feminine Pokemon which reflects that yes she's a woman with beautiful Pokemon, there's also one that's the subject of her research, especially when it comes to gigantamaxing.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Nessa posted:

IMO the weirdest thing is that gym leaders randomly show up in the postgame overworld and serve zero purpose. They don't give you poo poo, you can't battle them, they're just there.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i havent been able to get a second kubfu or a ghost horse or the other new golem on gts i wonder if they actually did crack down on hacked mons

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

Super No Vacancy posted:

i havent been able to get a second kubfu or a ghost horse or the other new golem on gts i wonder if they actually did crack down on hacked mons
They definitely cracked down on the hacked Pokémon with url nicknames. Those can no longer be traded on Pokémon Home and I wouldn't be surprised if they're barred from in-game trading as well.

I traded away legit (raid exploit) shinies and got a whole bunch of those in return. Now they're effectively bricked.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Flopsy posted:

For the fashionata among us the DLC introduces apricorns so you can get your hands on rare balls. Granted it took 1,998 yellow apricorns for me to get 5 moon balls and I had the Gaming Gods smiling down on me for that result.
i'm still mad that they went "ohohoh, we'll have a new way to get apricorn balls in the DLC~" as an incentive to get people to buy it, but it turned out the new way to get them was to grind for hours so that you could beg the RNG gods to roll the 0.1% chance required for them

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Again and forever, the solution is to edit your saves

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Zuzie posted:

I still remember someone making up a story about how Garbodor was actually her first friend when she was a dirt poor child, but I don't believe that canon.

Wasn’t that from Twilight Wings? Which means it is canon.

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

Mymla posted:

Are there any decent romhacks that do this?

I haven't played them, but I've heard good things about Dio Vento's romhacks for the 3DS games. The main feature is that every single trainer is tuned for higher difficulty, but there are quite a few changes overall. Here's how he leads off about the Ultra Sun & Ultra Moon mods:

quote:

Pokémon Supernova Sun and Penumbra Moon are mods for Pokémon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon. Like my Rutile Ruby & Star Sapphire hacks and my Nova Sun & Umbra Moon hacks, their main purpose is to provide a more challenging game experience while not artificially limiting the player. The premier feature of Supernova Sun and Penumbra Moon is the ground-up redesign of Pokémon Trainers in the world to increase the game’s challenge. Every trainer in the game has been edited, and the level curve expects use of the Experience Share, which means that the player levels up very quickly. Every Pokémon in Trainers’ teams has a a proper moveset and many are holding items. The Elite Four and Champion are Level 100, and the player doesn’t need to grind to equal that!

As I said, there are a lot of changes, and they're all outlined on each mod's site: Rutile Ruby and Star Sapphire, Nova Sun and Umbra Moon, Supernova Sun and Penumbra Moon

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Blaziken386 posted:

i'm still mad that they went "ohohoh, we'll have a new way to get apricorn balls in the DLC~" as an incentive to get people to buy it, but it turned out the new way to get them was to grind for hours so that you could beg the RNG gods to roll the 0.1% chance required for them

Because they loving know their audience the bastards.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

qnqnx posted:

Again and forever, the solution is to edit your saves

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Diet Poison posted:

IMO the weirdest thing is that gym leaders randomly show up in the postgame overworld and serve zero purpose. They don't give you poo poo, you can't battle them, they're just there.

I miss the postgame gym leader bar in Platinum. I’d go there every day to level up mons.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

becoming posted:

I haven't played them, but I've heard good things about Dio Vento's romhacks for the 3DS games. The main feature is that every single trainer is tuned for higher difficulty, but there are quite a few changes overall. Here's how he leads off about the Ultra Sun & Ultra Moon mods:

As I said, there are a lot of changes, and they're all outlined on each mod's site: Rutile Ruby and Star Sapphire, Nova Sun and Umbra Moon, Supernova Sun and Penumbra Moon

from what i've seen of these, they're just drayano's hacks of the same games, but worse

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Does anyone remember Shiny Gold? I always felt bad about how that went down, dude was doing such a good job and the remakes just killed the project. I love HG but I think Shiny gold had a lot of heart and I would've loved to see it seen through to the end

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

ungulateman posted:

from what i've seen of these, they're just drayano's hacks of the same games, but worse

A quick search tells me that Drayano hasn't released romhacks for SuMo or USUM. Haven't played either of their hacks for ORAS so I can't say which is better, just that every time I see someone mention the Dio Vento mods, it is very positive. Other than overlapping on ORAS, Drayano covers the DS and Dio Vento covers the 3DS. We are spoiled for choice.

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."

becoming posted:

A quick search tells me that Drayano hasn't released romhacks for SuMo or USUM. Haven't played either of their hacks for ORAS so I can't say which is better, just that every time I see someone mention the Dio Vento mods, it is very positive. Other than overlapping on ORAS, Drayano covers the DS and Dio Vento covers the 3DS. We are spoiled for choice.

Yeah the Dio Vento mods are fantastic. 100% superior to the base games.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

should've just called them "Pokemon Supernova and Penumbra", "Pokemon Supernova Sun and Penumbra Moon" is way too wordy, try saying that out loud, it's exhausting.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

becoming posted:

Ah, fair enough, I just remember drayano's version of ORAS being regarded as significantly better than Dio Vento's, but this is one of those "holy poo poo, two cakes!" situations

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I just realized, Sword/Shield doesn't have a Hall of Fame, does it?

Also, which game(s) was it that had little rewards for doing E4 with same type teams?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Oxyclean posted:

Also, which game(s) was it that had little rewards for doing E4 with same type teams?

It doesn't have one on the computers but it shows the team you most recently won with on the title screen.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

Oxyclean posted:

I think it was Black 2 and White 2. That game had a whole achievement system attached to it and there were like hundreds of little reward medals for doing things in the game. There's probably a significant chunk of them that can't be completed due to the DS not being able to connect to Wifi anymore.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Zuzie posted:

I think it was Black 2 and White 2. That game had a whole achievement system attached to it and there were like hundreds of little reward medals for doing things in the game. There's probably a significant chunk of them that can't be completed due to the DS not being able to connect to Wifi anymore.

Just one of the reasons why BW2 were the best games in the series.

The medals were in gens 6 and 7 IIRC but they were on that pseudo-social network site so no-one noticed them.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Really gotta love that Game Freak comes up with great ideas but just like... doesn't keep them around for whatever reason? It's not even like follower pokemon where it maybe takes more work or can cause performance issues.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Some of the medals were fun, but as mentioned since a fair few were tied to the Dream World, so rip to that. Thankfully the localizers realised how brutal some of the achievements were and changed the trainer card star requiring all medals to the local Entree stuff. That means you can't legit get all the stars in a JP version.

Pokestar Studios not being in every game since is a huge disappointment though.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Well that's really silly! The dojo on isle of armor changed my appearance, it gave me the option to swap back, but I figured I'd go with it for a bit and it would still let me swap back later, but nope, looks like I need to go to a salon to fix my hair.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

Oxyclean posted:

Well that's really silly! The dojo on isle of armor changed my appearance, it gave me the option to swap back, but I figured I'd go with it for a bit and it would still let me swap back later, but nope, looks like I need to go to a salon to fix my hair.

I think you need to give more watts until the option to be able to style your hair becomes available in the dojo. The game justifies this in the laziest way possible by introducing a stylist who is super shy so they don't have a model to show.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Is there any power leveling gimmicks in Sword or the DLC? I remember that chansey trainer thing in ORAS was so great....

Zuzie posted:

I think you need to give more watts until the option to be able to style your hair becomes available in the dojo. The game justifies this in the laziest way possible by introducing a stylist who is super shy so they don't have a model to show.

I mean, I just went back to the mainland and got a haircut at the regular salons, I just thought it was silly it seemed they didn't really save my appearance beyond that first "switch back now?" option. They could have at least warned me that I'd have to do it manually if I didn't switch back right away.

e: How do the Digging Brothers work? (Also, the one on Isle of Armor) is there a reason to tell them to stop digging?

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Mar 6, 2021

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

Oxyclean posted:

Is there any power leveling gimmicks in Sword or the DLC? I remember that chansey trainer thing in ORAS was so great....

Do Max Raid battles, preferably 5-star; feed the Exp Candies to your pokes. I guess I can't say with absolute certainly, but I'm fairly certain that this is the fastest it's ever been to level pokes. It's pretty silly how fast you can take one to 100.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

Crosspeice posted:

Some of the medals were fun, but as mentioned since a fair few were tied to the Dream World, so rip to that. Thankfully the localizers realised how brutal some of the achievements were and changed the trainer card star requiring all medals to the local Entree stuff. That means you can't legit get all the stars in a JP version.

Pokestar Studios not being in every game since is a huge disappointment though.

Some of the Medals also required the GTS, if I'm remembering right.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

There are also lots of Chanseys and Blisseys in the Isle of Armor and Audinos in the Crown Tundra, plus the Lucky Egg you can get from doing a short side quest delivering food for the restaurant in Hulbury

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

There are places to find final evolution pokemon as well, like Metagross and the ghost dragon that give a ton of XP. I just ran around the Crown Tundra pretty casually and got a team from hatching to mid 60s in an hour or two, and that's without using XP candy which really is amazing.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Humerus posted:

There are places to find final evolution pokemon as well, like Metagross and the ghost dragon that give a ton of XP. I just ran around the Crown Tundra pretty casually and got a team from hatching to mid 60s in an hour or two, and that's without using XP candy which really is amazing.

I will give it to Sword and Shield it's the first game where leveling up your pokemon has been made extremely fast, easy and efficient along with crafting competitive pokemon. In some hopeless fervent way I hope they keep the quality of life changes and just concentrate on the story and world building in the next one.

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

I hop this is the best place to ask, but I've been wanting to reexperience the 3ds games but perhaps with a different spin like others in this thread have. So I'm hoping to be pointed in the direction of what might be considered the most reliable of 3ds emulators, and the generally mot well-regarded source of rom hacks for anyone who is familiar with those?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Ok so I beat the main story of Xenoverse. And I gotta tell it's a really good fan game but it makes some incredibly questionable design decisions in the end.

There's one point of no return. After that you can't buy items but there's still pokecenter/PC access.
Go through evil team base. Hit another point of no return, after this there's no pokecenter/pc access.
Fight a huge trainer battle and a Mewtwo-X boss battle. Then run through a wilderness and fight 2 more last bosses. And if you lose to one of them you get thrown IMMEDIATELY back to the start of the fight, no time to switch things up or anything. I thought I was hosed. The boss(es) are ice/ground type and you're thinking 'lol ice'...no. It has 5 health bars and since I had no idea what I was up against my team was really unprepared for an ice type. 4 members of my team eat SE damage to Ice/Freeze Dry. I wanted to adjust my strategy and throw toxic/use my rare candies on my pokes. NOPE, the fight immediately begins all over (I could have just quit out and reloaded my save but that would have forced me through a bunch of talky stuff again. If I lost a second time I would have). Luckily the second boss fight replaces Freeze-Dry with Gyro Ball so I just trounced it with a Gyardos but still...this is some of the worst point of no return stuff since Baten Kaitos. At least they warn you. I guess. But there's only one save slot so good luck with not knowing what you're getting into in the second part.

But, if you can put up with that I have to say it is otherwise very good and worth experiencing. There is also a postgame but I don't know if I want to go into that.