Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
An automatic roguelike that puts you in charge of placing the world around your hero to challenge them or guide their way towards their goal. Make the path harder to find better loot or find the best places for card buffs to ease your loop.

:siren: There is a Demo that you can try up through first boss, out now! Try it! :siren:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1282730/Loop_Hero/

Taken from the steam page:

Infinite Adventure: Select from unlockable character classes and deck cards before setting out on each expedition along a randomly generated loop path. No expedition is ever the same as the ones before it.

Plan Your Struggle: Strategically place building, terrain, and enemy cards along each loop to create your own dangerous path. Find balance between the cards to increase your chances of survival while recovering valuable loot and resources for your camp.

Loot and Upgrade:
Strike down menacing creatures, recover stronger loot to equip on the fly and unlock new perks along the way.

Expand Your Camp: Turn hard-earned resources into campsite upgrades and gain valuable reinforcements with each completed loop along the expedition path.

Loop Hero Demo Guide/Reference:
Not only do the cards you use effect the world and your chosen hero, some of them combo with each other making greater effects. For example, the meadow card Restores 2 HP on every new day...if you place it next to at least one non-meadow tile, it blooms and restores 3 HP per day. This can also combo with Chrono crystals cards making the healing 6 per day

So far, these are the combos and cards in the demo:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1kb3OgPCbUZthzjO3GkZ7O4YHL-UyQ9mtuBL22nv-0fg/edit#gid=1922490772

:siren: There is a Demo that you can try up through first boss, out now! Try it! :siren:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1282730/Loop_Hero/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

I had to delete the demo because I was playing way too much of it and I didnt want to ruin it before full release.

Pb and Jellyfish
Oct 30, 2011
I will probably get this. The aesthetic is really neat and it has a cool atmosphere. Also the 15% off on steam lasts after the game gets released in case you want to wait for reviews.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Played through the demo and got thru ch1 this morning; oh dear, this is going to doom my productivity when it comes out :arghfist::(

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Ciaphas posted:

Played through the demo and got thru ch1 this morning; oh dear, this is going to doom my productivity when it comes out :arghfist::(

Yeah it has that real strong "one more loop."

Which also has the same pull when you need 1 more item to upgrade your camp and want to risk another loop to try and get it.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Finished the tutorial and sorta/kinda knew what I'd be in for, but then I started playing the game and became hooked instantly. Just pre-purchased the game. My first loop was weird cuz I just started slapping down vampire mansions without really knowing what they do and feeling invincible for a loop and then promptly dying. 11/10, highly recommend. Only wish that the card would be more verbose, like knowing that when I walk through a cemetery that I would gain a stone is kind of a biggie.

Gotta say when the "Devolver" logo popped up I said "of loving course it's Devolver, Devolver owns."

scuz fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Mar 3, 2021

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
Only 4.5 hours into the demo and absolutely loving it. Managed to just barely take down the lich on the first attempt by stacking evasion and keeping my fingers crossed. Tryina get all my buds to play it and the best way that I've been able to describe it is "reverse tower defense roguelike deck-building" and that seems to be getting the point across.

scuz fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Mar 3, 2021

Desdinova
Dec 16, 2004
I had to be on my toes, like a midget at a urinal!
Loving what I've played so far, going to soak up lots of hours when it's released tomorrow.

Not killed the Lich yet, but a tip is to save oblivions for nuking his palaces when he spawns, and build near the campfire to ensure he doesn't build too many. Game's good.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Desdinova posted:

Loving what I've played so far, going to soak up lots of hours when it's released tomorrow.

Not killed the Lich yet, but a tip is to save oblivions for nuking his palaces when he spawns, and build near the campfire to ensure he doesn't build too many. Game's good.

I was lucky and chose the "blissful ignorance" perk and had a shitload of oblivion cards leftover! Another strat is to put a whole bunch of building around your campsite since his palace won't displace existing tiles :eng101:

Haven't figured out what swamps are good for beyond making vampires easy-peasy.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Don't know how much I'd describe this as a deck building game, it feels like most of the actual gameplay is around discovery: figuring out how cards actually work and how they combo with other cards, then developing strategies based on that. Not sure how great the long-term replayability will be or how much fun the first playthrough would be if you followed a card guide like in the OP, but for a small indie game this absolutely seems worth a playthrough.

I will say (first boss spoilers) I felt the lich palaces were kinda unfair since I had a ton of oblivion cards I blew right before the incursion occurred so I had no idea how to prepare. Kinda reinforces what I said above about how it's a game of discovery more than tower-defense like stretegy.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

scuz posted:

Only 4.5 hours into the demo and absolutely loving it. Managed to just barely take down the lich on the first attempt by stacking evasion and keeping my fingers crossed. Tryina get all my buds to play it and the best way that I've been able to describe it is "reverse tower defense roguelike deck-building" and that seems to be getting the point across.

Yeah. Evasion is fantastic. Got mine up to 62% and it felt like I could have gone on forever.

There is no good way to describe the game, yours is pretty solid.

Desdinova posted:

Yeah, this is a good early tip. I've been throwing crystals and blood groves. Makes a huge difference.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Yea kinda feels like the above tips are pretty major spoilers if you consider the importance of discovery to gameplay, but it's just the first level in a demo so :shrug:. And honestly there might be far deeper strategy as the game goes on but who knows. Do we have an idea how many levels are planned for the full release?

Edit: There will be six chapters, and the game is considered more a 'management sim' which actually makes a shitload of sense.

Finally beat the first loop, if you want spoilers on advice:

-Things you place in the road override monsters, so placing a village next to a goblin camp is as effective as getting rid of the camp
-Villages can only turn existing monsters into quests so space them out a bit
-Corners are really good places for crystals, I used all my crystals on meadows but I'm willing to bet there's better uses
-Runs where you focus on materials seem to follow very different strategies/cards than runs focusing on boss kills.

Atoramos fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Mar 3, 2021

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Athanatos posted:

There is no good way to describe the game, yours is pretty solid.

There's games like this, but it definitely has more of the feeling of something like Populous where you have all of this control over the world, but none really over the character themselves.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
Out now

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Enjoying it so far.

Does Counter fully block damage? If so, isn’t it strictly better than Evasion?

Is magic damage just a flat +?

Road beacons seem like they help the enemy more than they help me.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I've played a few runs and it's pretty fun, but (extremely minor spoiler) how do you get the village card? I'm already starting to get cards that require village like Wheat Field, and most reviews/discussions I see talk about village like it's in your basic deck or some poo poo so I figure I should have it by now. I've tried placing a bunch of meadows together one run and a bunch of light sources (Beacon/Lantern) another but neither had any effect at all, and those are about the only friendly cards I have access to, so I'm pretty much out of ideas.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Insurrectionist posted:

I've played a few runs and it's pretty fun, but (extremely minor spoiler) how do you get the village card? I'm already starting to get cards that require village like Wheat Field, and most reviews/discussions I see talk about village like it's in your basic deck or some poo poo so I figure I should have it by now. I've tried placing a bunch of meadows together one run and a bunch of light sources (Beacon/Lantern) another but neither had any effect at all, and those are about the only friendly cards I have access to, so I'm pretty much out of ideas.

Build the Gymnasium back at the camp

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

DO NOT DELETE VILLAGES THAT ARE FLANKED BY WHEATFIELDS NO MATTER HOW MANY BANDITS THERE ARE

this has been a public service announcement

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Game is really good so far. It definitely needs a faster speed than 2x though.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

space uncle posted:

Build the Gymnasium back at the camp

Ah ok, I never had enough resources to build one so far so I didn't even look at it.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

space uncle posted:

Enjoying it so far.

Does Counter fully block damage? If so, isn’t it strictly better than Evasion?

Is magic damage just a flat +?

Road beacons seem like they help the enemy more than they help me.

Yeah, those are some of the questions I wish the game would answer. There's a bunch of information available on enemies and whatnot, but no explanation what exactly "magic damage" does. Or defence. Or some even more esoteric stats, like "skeleton level" or "summon quality" with the Necromancer (spoiler for third class).

And much like many other cards, road beacons are situational. If you let a bunch of Goblins get road beaconed, you'll be turbo hosed, but at the same time if you yourself are stacking attack speed... well.

Anyway, game's great. I redeemed my review code on Saturday and had played 20+ hours by Tuesday.

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
Rogue is cool. And dies alot

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

My second run got really close to killing theboss. Now im on a vid call with friends for two hours and i wanna play more

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Does progress from the demo carry over?

Moldy Sausage
Oct 5, 2004
Where am I going?
So far all 3 of my runs have gone the same way, I have no trouble at all and everything seems to be going great until the lich shows up and completely obliterates me. Any tips for dealing with him? Or should I be retreating early and building up my base at first?

Buller
Nov 6, 2010

Moldy Sausage posted:

So far all 3 of my runs have gone the same way, I have no trouble at all and everything seems to be going great until the lich shows up and completely obliterates me. Any tips for dealing with him? Or should I be retreating early and building up my base at first?

Make sure you ahve the Gymnasium before you commit to a serious attempt.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

Moldy Sausage posted:

Agree with Gymnasium and Herbalist hut helping a lot.

Other tips:

1. Make sure you have a Blood Grove covering your campfire, it will kill the Lich at 15%.
2. Save oblivion’s for the Lich Palaces.
3. If you surround your campfire with a ton of bullshit, fewer Lich palaces will spawn because there’s no room.
4. Evasion is very good against the Lich.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

SpiritOfLenin posted:

DO NOT DELETE VILLAGES THAT ARE FLANKED BY WHEATFIELDS NO MATTER HOW MANY BANDITS THERE ARE

this has been a public service announcement

you do realize i'm gonna do what it says not to soon as i'm off work, right

(unless it's just a bug, that's boring)

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Cicero posted:

Does progress from the demo carry over?

it DOES! I was pleasantly surprised.

The necromancer goes from "holy poo poo I'm OP as gently caress" to "this hero is dogshit" really fast if you're not careful.

Darkmoon2k
May 1, 2005
This is probably obvious, but certain types of cards have minimums/maximums allowed per deck. You can also see the minimum/current/maximum deck size at the bottom of the window.

I've been experimenting with minimum deck sizes to maximize treasury/wheat field/village pull rates. It's less interesting to play, to be honest, if a bit more consistent. I am looking forward to unlocking more cards and seeing how to optimize deck size with them.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
One of the big draws is discovering interactions between tiles, and seeing various hints at them in dialogue.

After the first vampire fight the hero mentions how they would manage towns. So there’s a vampire mansion/town interaction.

The way loot/monsters work your hardest fights will be just after camp with under leveled equipment, and strongest just before arriving at camp but lowest on health. So battlefield treasure chests are excellent just after camp to instantly get loop appropriate loot. A village soon after the campsite to give more relevant quest rewards is nice.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
Is there seriously no way to save mid-run, or am I just a moron?

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

I just started a run, went into planning mode, exited, and came back in to the "Build" screen, so it doesn't look like there is. Be nice if they warned you that you'll lose your progress if you quit out of it.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Old-school roguelike-ish take on runs so no, no way to save mid-run. You can earn all the resources you've collected thus far by ending your run at the campfire though, or I believe 60% if you at least end it out of combat.

Blind Duke posted:

After the first vampire fight the hero mentions how they would manage towns. So there’s a vampire mansion/town interaction.

It was in the demo; the village gets ransacked and turns into count lands after three loops, which I believe multiplies base healing by 3x so you go from 60 to 180 points healed which is pretty great.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

What does "defense" do? Does each point of defense negate 1 damage or something?

Moldy Sausage
Oct 5, 2004
Where am I going?

Buler posted:

Thanks for the tips, turns out I just needed to wait until I actually construct some buildings before fighting the lich, though I still feel like I don't know what I'm doing half the time. I was playing around with the vampire's castle and figured out (spoilers just in case) that you can surround it with swamps so the vampires injure themselves, and building a village near it makes a ransacked villager which spawns a shitload of ghouls every day, but I don't really know why you would want to do that. I assumed stronger monsters gave better loot/exp but that doesn't always seem to be the case. As it is how strong I end up by the time the lich comes seems like a crapshoot and none of my cards feel super synergistic. Still its fun trying to figure everything out and I figure I'll have a better idea of what I should be doing after playing some more.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

e: ^^^ You do it because you rolled over the resulting map tile and waited the time out for it to pay off. Trust me, it's worth it.

Diogines posted:

What does "defense" do? Does each point of defense negate 1 damage or something?

It's probably some sort of percentage reduction on damage. A single point of defense doesn't make much difference, but 0 defense definitely gets hurt more than 20 defense.

Ignatius M. Meen fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Mar 5, 2021

Darkmoon2k
May 1, 2005
Some synergies/combos:

- Meadow adjacent to any tile will bloom and heal for more.
    - Place a treasury and then surround it on all sides with other tiles and it will turn into a loot pinata (empty treasuries then spawn gargoyles). Also remember that treasuries cannot be placed next to a tile, so don't try to set up a ring first and then place the treasury in the middle. You can't.
    - 3x3 rocks/mountain tiles turn into a mountain peak which gives added HP and spawn harpies.
    - Every ten rocks/mountains placed will spawn a goblin camp.
    - Vampire Mansion next to Village will spawn ghouls, clearing it three times will cleanse the village of ghouls and increase its healing power.
    - Battlefields overlapping will spawn blood clot monsters. They hurt.
    - Blood Groves overlapping will execute monsters at 20% HP instead of 15%, but will also randomly damage you in battles they influence.
    - Blood Groves effect bosses and effectively makes them have 15%-20% less HP.
    - When a boss triggers it will spawn palaces that buff its damage. You can use Oblivion on the palace tiles to destroy them and/or you can tile block them ahead of time.
    - Swamps cause non-potion healing to deal damage instead. This effects vampirism and you can place swamps in vampire mansion areas to turn their heal against them.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
re: using swamps to negate vampire healing: be very careful doing this on chapters 2+, as enemies gain an additional skill and the skill mosquitoes gain is "explodes if allowed to attack 8 times" and vampires gain "summons bats below 50% health", so suddenly this strategy goes from cool to "any fight in a vampire swamp will murder you with exploding mosquitoes which cause swarms of bats to appear" unless you're strong enough to kill all the mosquitoes in the first 8 turns or use lots of road lamps to reduce the number of mosquitoes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
I feel the demo had a decent enough pace but now the full game seems to quickly grind to a halt once you're past the initial buildings. Farming for the special orbs takes several runs, and you'll eventually need insane amounts of some resources, for example the upgrade to start with any class gear with your smith is 45 metal orbs... 45! And as is usual, there is nothing to help control the RNG so you're more and more dependent on getting the right gear and the right perks to do well and thus each run begins to feel like you, as the player, aren't really adding anything. I haven't unlocked everything and forests made for an interesting breakpoint where I felt more engaged, but overall the experience seems to be a steady downhill from the demo.

Edit:
And the furniture/tool/item bonuses are way too weak. I'd rather have a few items max that have a meaningful effect than having to farm to build enough buildings to use 30+ of them at once for them to feel useful.