Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

NBA TOP SHOT: https://nbatopshot.com

Seriously it's so loving stupid.

limited edition animated gifs of basketball men doing cool basketball things with serial numbers attached.

it's by the people who made cryptokitties.

in January 2021 the cheapest "moments" could be had for the princely sum of $1 each.

As of early March 2021 they're $15, and late February saw minimums spike to north of $25.

A coworker tells me they recently waffled on buying a De'Aaron Fox moment for $30. the minimum ask on it now is $3750.

Talk about Top Shots here!

Probably will make a better OP soon, including challenge information

CURRENT DROP SCHEDULE:

It's probably a good idea to join the NBA's official top shot discord:
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...qzYCHpsk5q7zWEV

My experience:
I have spent a grand total of $19 on this so far, and https://momentranks.com tells me my collection is worth about $1000.

Fate Accomplice fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Mar 24, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

i just missed a few of the small pack drops (queued but lost the lottery) and it seems like now they're doing massive ones, meaning the cards will be as worthless as they all ought to be, wouldn't you say?

anyway though i was wondering does this use the same kind of weird bitcoin blockchain technology that burns 10 acres of rainforest for you to sell one card on the marketplace? answer may determine whether i hang in there and buy a single pack for the sake of having done it, or bail entirely

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Fast Luck posted:

i just missed a few of the small pack drops (queued but lost the lottery) and it seems like now they're doing massive ones, meaning the cards will be as worthless as they all ought to be, wouldn't you say?

there's a general impression that the current existing (series 1 and maybe series 2) moments will be the last to get to super high values because of pack counts.

Fast Luck posted:

anyway though i was wondering does this use the same kind of weird bitcoin blockchain technology that burns 10 acres of rainforest for you to sell one card on the marketplace? answer may determine whether i hang in there and buy a single pack for the sake of having done it, or bail entirely

this is only a problem if you encourage mining publicly by offering tokens as rewards. If you don't have a demand problem (read: reason to use the tokens at all) , which top shot doesn't cause their use is built in (tokens are private and used to sign moments), and you do all your 'mining' in house, you can run the entire blockchain aspect of top shot on a single computer on someone's desk.

edit: put this way, it probably takes more computing power to play an NBA game's worth of moments than it does to 'mine' all the tokens used to create all existing moments.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

I've been buying and flipping packs for a bit and its made me insane money (when pack drops dont crash). Kinda want to try to collect a set of the early adopter moments, but everything I see is at hundreds of dollars.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

What is the website or app for this (android)? Can I buy these things with actual USD via a credit card or do I have to purchase some digital currency poo poo (like the art website I looked at the other day) to do these transactions?

How do I sell the cards?

Are the pack drops random much like normal collectible cards and you just hope you get a good card to sell later for more than you paid?

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

tangy yet delightful posted:

What is the website or app for this (android)?
my fault, added the link to the OP. it's https://nbatopshot.com

Can I buy these things with actual USD via a credit card or do I have to purchase some digital currency poo poo (like the art website I looked at the other day) to do these transactions?
you can do either. I use a CC.

How do I sell the cards?
the website has a marketplace for that

Are the pack drops random much like normal collectible cards and you just hope you get a good card to sell later for more than you paid?
Correct! packs cost from $9 all the way up to $1000 so far, contain 3-6 moments, and you hope for a combination of good/famous player/cool move/low serial number.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

strongly advise to not selfscam on this

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook
^^^ I think it's fine to try your luck with a pack - they don't cost much. And then just use whatever money you make from that to invest further. But yeah, don't go spending thousands on this!

ketchup vs catsup posted:

NBA TOP SHOT: https://nbatopshot.com

Seriously it's so loving stupid.

limited edition animated gifs of basketball men doing cool basketball things with serial numbers attached.

My experience:
I have spent a grand total of $19 on this so far, and https://momentranks.com tells me my collection is worth about $1000.

The only problem I have is that many of the moments aren't actually that cool. Not sure why they minted all these average players doing average plays?

My experience:
I somehow lucked into the first Cool Cats pack drop for $14, and sold a couple for $300. Haven't been able to get hold of any more packs since, so ended up putting that money into some low serial # moments and some cheap $1 dunks. We'll see what happens.

As far as more packs watering down the market, I think as more people get onboard demand will increase. But I'm guessing they would prefer lots of small transactions, so they can keep taking a cut.

Red Rox fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Mar 4, 2021

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!
Sounds fun except they have "temporarily disabled new account signups"

Maybe I'll be able to make an account by tomorrow's drop time?

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

I was debating starting this when I was sitting in line for two hours on Saturday to spend money on gifs that somehow can't be delivered for a few weeks so I could make fun of myself and others. I have no belief that I'll ever get money out of it but a $9 lottery ticket isn't breaking the bank, and I've stopped assuming that just because something is stupid as hell and makes no logical sense that you can't potentially make money off of it.

The Polish Pirate
Apr 4, 2005

How many Polacks does it take to captain a pirate ship? One.
I heard about this back in January and bought a few packs to gently caress around and see what the deal was. I kinda forgot about it for a couple weeks and then heard they were doing a "Legendary" pack drop. I got in line and somehow managed to get one... and then when I got to check out it was $999!

but I still bought it. I listed one of the moments (their name for the card essentially) for $1200, and it sold almost immediately. I sold a few more moments for big profit and then started buying up stuff. During peak madness I sold a bunch and wound up with like 10s of thousands in profit.

Then I saw on the official Discord that people couldn't withdraw money, so they were selling their balance for like 70 cents on the dollar. "Great" I thought! I can help people actually realize their silly digital gif profits as cash, and I can just wait until I am able to cash out and then I have more free money; woohooo!

Three days later (late Feb), my account was suspended for suspicious activity at which point I read the Code of Conduct where they say buying balance is not allowed. I am now locked out of buying or selling moments or withdrawing my balance, and I am waiting for support to let me know whether my account will be unlocked, ha.

Anywho, it's been an insanely wild ride, and I'm happy to answer any questions or chat more about this silliness.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

The Polish Pirate posted:

Three days later (late Feb), my account was suspended for suspicious activity at which point I read the Code of Conduct where they say buying balance is not allowed. I am now locked out of buying or selling moments or withdrawing my balance, and I am waiting for support to let me know whether my account will be unlocked, ha.

lol what the poo poo, what do you mean? Buying balance is the only way to buy packs?

The Polish Pirate
Apr 4, 2005

Red Rox posted:

lol what the poo poo, what do you mean? Buying balance is the only way to buy packs?

I was buying other users' balance from them. Top Shots lets you spend crypto/creditcard on balance that you're buying from them (Dapper), but they apparently don't allow buying it from other users. It's a bit of a bummer because on the NBA TopShots official Discord they allowed people to post that they were selling their Dapper with no warning that it wasn't allowed. I'm hopeful they will allow me to say "mea culpa, won't do it again" and give me my account back, but I'm not totally confident

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

The Polish Pirate posted:

I was buying other users' balance from them. Top Shots lets you spend crypto/creditcard on balance that you're buying from them (Dapper), but they apparently don't allow buying it from other users. It's a bit of a bummer because on the NBA TopShots official Discord they allowed people to post that they were selling their Dapper with no warning that it wasn't allowed. I'm hopeful they will allow me to say "mea culpa, won't do it again" and give me my account back, but I'm not totally confident

Ah I see, yeah that would suck to lose all that.

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

Thanks for making this thread. All this poo poo is so dumb but hey, everything is nonsense now.

I tried to buy that $99 pack last week but there were too many people in line in front of me. I think they were selling 11,000 packs - I was the 70,000th person in line and there were 150,000 in line behind me.

Apparently real basketball cards are impossible to buy now too? I wonder if my binder of 90’s cards is worth anything.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Space Camp fuckup posted:

Thanks for making this thread. All this poo poo is so dumb but hey, everything is nonsense now.

I tried to buy that $99 pack last week but there were too many people in line in front of me. I think they were selling 11,000 packs - I was the 70,000th person in line and there were 150,000 in line behind me.

Apparently real basketball cards are impossible to buy now too? I wonder if my binder of 90’s cards is worth anything.

Yes I've heard the same about cards. But unfortunately I've also heard the 90s are known as 'The Junk Wax Era' cause there were so many companies printing way too many cards. Worth digging them out though - you never know!

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Panini released boxes of their 2020-2021 Donruss NBA cards yesterday at 10am PST. I started trying to add it to my cart at 10:02, but couldn’t due to high volume of traffic. It was sold out by 10:07.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

coronaball posted:

Sounds fun except they have "temporarily disabled new account signups"

Maybe I'll be able to make an account by tomorrow's drop time?

I put in an email to get notified when I can signup. Maybe I'll throw a few bucks at this because I'm a degenerate.

Question about the queuing to buy cards. If the packs drop at say 9am, is there a way to get in line before that time? Does everyone spam a button at 9am?

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

i tried to buy a pack every day for a week a few weeks back and they weren't in stock ever. i foolishly tried to get into a queue at the time it was supposed to go live and was 100,000th or something in line. i didn't get my scam basketball gifs :(

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

^^^ word is starting to spread and demand is rising, so the lines are getting crazy long. The last premium drop you had like a 5% chance of actually getting a pack.

I put in an email to get notified when I can signup. Maybe I'll throw a few bucks at this because I'm a degenerate.

Question about the queuing to buy cards. If the packs drop at say 9am, is there a way to get in line before that time? Does everyone spam a button at 9am?

Around the drop time, you can click a button called JOIN DROP. No matter when you join, it will give you a random spot in the line. Sometimes you can join just before the announced time, but either way it doesn't make a difference.

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!

You can sign up with your Google account now. It just worked for me.

See everyone at 9 AM!

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
So you pay anywhere between 20 bux and 1k to enter into a lottery? Or you skip the lottery and take your chances in the marketplace? Either way this sounds really dumb. And what's more dumb is I heard about this stuff back in early Feb and I mostly dismissed it.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Gologle posted:

So you pay anywhere between 20 bux and 1k to enter into a lottery? Or you skip the lottery and take your chances in the marketplace? Either way this sounds really dumb. And what's more dumb is I heard about this stuff back in early Feb and I mostly dismissed it.

You can buy and sell moments (the highlight gifs) at any time on their marketplace. But the packs are better value, since you get 3-5 moments in a pack. The cheapest pack has been $9 for 3. I bought a pack of 5 for $14. You don't pay anything for a pack unless you actually get a place early enough in the line each time a pack is released. Last week they released a huge amount of packs at once, to made sure everyone who wanted one got one, since it's been almost impossible to get one recently.

You were probably right to dismiss it.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Well, he was wrong to dismiss it because dumb as it is, dumb things constantly succeed and make money. It's like how goons all knew bitcoin was extremely dumb and were making fun of it when it was 5 cents a coin. Being dumb didn't prevent it from becoming worth $10,000 a coin for some reason now. I do think this is a craze/fad and the bubble will pop and value on the marketplace crash eventually, although the very first editions, being rare and only grabbed by lucky early adopters, might always be worth a ton if the brand sticks around long-term.

Gologle posted:

You don't have to pay anything to get in a queue. You join during the 15 minutes or whatever that there's a join option, then when the 15 minutes is up it randomizes your spot in line. That's all free. Of late it looks like they're tending toward making way more available which is just easy money for them, since even though the volume sold is high and thus the value is low, the craze is hot right now so they're all getting bought up.

When you get placed in the queue you can tell pretty fast if your number is low enough to get one of the packs available. One of the ones I tried on there were like 7500 packs and my number was like 12,000 and I thought maybe, but it didn't even come close, it probably only served the top 7550 so not a lot of dropouts at the top. Some people's purchases will fail though, and back then they just made those packs publicly available on the website, completely outside the queue. Now they pause the line and re-add the fails, so maybe you can be a little bit further outside the magic number and get a shot.

When they were throwing the failed purchases up on a public link I actually was lucky to refresh the page the exact moment some were available but I clicked the buy button and it failed... just moments too late I guess. Closest I came to getting one of the rare early packs :/ One of yall who was posting in the NBA N/V thread kept winning the queue every single time haha.

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Mar 5, 2021

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

the waiting room for the Seeing Stars first drop is open

EDIT: 126,000 for me, no pack this time.

Fate Accomplice fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Mar 5, 2021

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

192k, :rip:

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

i get one for the first time ever (35k) but theres gonna be 60k released x3 = 180k of this pack? i skipped that mega 200k release the previous time because it seemed like so many. oh well ill buy this anyway just to finally get one

spencer for hire
Jan 27, 2006

we just want to dance here, someone stole the stage
they call us irresponsible, write us off the page

I’ve come around on the concept finally. It will be really interesting to see how NBA controls supply. Have to balance release quantity versus perceived rarity, just like normal card printing.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

21510 users ahead of me in line, gonna spend $14 on whatever the hell this is :getin:

Not sure how long I have to sit here waiting to hit the purchase page though so somehow I'll end up getting hosed still.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

spencer for hire posted:

I’ve come around on the concept finally. It will be really interesting to see how NBA controls supply. Have to balance release quantity versus perceived rarity, just like normal card printing.
as long as people are stampeding to buy this stuff, it seems like the company's cost is 0 and they can put out like 200,000 packs for $15 a piece and mint $3m for themselves instantly. It's kinda crazy. That kills the scarcity and value, so then I figure they'll ALSO do limited run or luxury sets, but then once there's like 100 distinct limited sets seems like those will start becoming less meaningful, idk... the thing they can do to increase revenue all decrease the value of the cards and therefore might harm the company's outlook in the long run. I dunno, it's definitely an interesting concept though.

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Mar 5, 2021

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

At least this way my kill will have some use
Dinosaur Gum

21510 users ahead of me in line, gonna spend $14 on whatever the hell this is :getin:

Not sure how long I have to sit here waiting to hit the purchase page though so somehow I'll end up getting hosed still.

My thoughts exactly, though I have 30k in front of me.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I am now the proud owner of 3 dunking gifs that I paid money for: Julius Randle, RJ Barrett, Larry Nance Jr.

Time to get rich????

edit: top shot telling me my Nance Jr that's in the 3800s out of 35000 is "notable" because it's my lowest serial # pull. Lambos all around boys.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Got the Seeing Stars luka doncic, which according to this tweet is worth $2000?
https://twitter.com/TheFirstMint/status/1367888950556168194

I'll put that for sale immediately i guess. I also got Base Set embiid shot and fox dunk.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

my pulls

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

Fast Luck posted:

Got the Seeing Stars luka doncic, which according to this tweet is worth $2000?
https://twitter.com/TheFirstMint/status/1367888950556168194

I'll put that for sale immediately i guess. I also got Base Set embiid shot and fox dunk.

I sold my Cousins immediately in the Cool Cats one and 4 days later it was like 8 or 9x value (from $75 to $700). Same with my friend's Herro ($140 to $1500), not sure how much it'll fluctuate now but yeah

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

my take on selling is: if you got any moment in a pack, you massively underpaid for the moment's value, pretty much no matter what it is.

So, if you don't need the money right now, just hold on. I've spent a grand total of $20 on top shot so far and I'm willing to risk the vapor returns I have so far for a chance at much much more. especially since getting money out of the system takes forever.

if you want to sell and use the money to buy other moments, that's a matter of strategy I've yet to get in on.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

I wish they'd deliver my gifs from a couple weeks ago.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

sharknado slashfic posted:

I wish they'd deliver my gifs from a couple weeks ago.

Yeah the wait is killing me!

I would also recommend waiting before selling everything, since you can't get your money out anyway right now (or maybe ever lol), and the market seems to have dipped right now. Although maybe it's better selling the big pulls and investing in a lot of smaller ones. Who knows!

If one of your moments ends up being part of a challenge it could be worth even more - a challenge is when you have to collect a specific set of moments and you get a bonus pack or moment.

Apparently some people are using this website https://www.evaluate.market to figure out the best investments. Since Top Shot is blockchain-based it's all open for tools like this, which is pretty neat.

Here I'll share my embarrassing investments (spent $14 so far)
https://evaluate.market/accountValuation?externalUserName=Red_Rox

The Polish Pirate
Apr 4, 2005

Pulled maybe one of the worst Seeing Stars in Vucevic, but I got #7 which is cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Kind of wanted to buy a pack, but this just seems like it targets the worst impulses of gambling, collecting, and impulse decision making.

Horrible for us, but hey great idea they got people to buy into until the eventual collapse.

Eh then again for $14 bucks it’s a small barrier. That said I don’t even thing I can buy one since I’m signed up for top shot but not dapper.

Edit Oh apparently I am signed up. Well I’ll see if I can buy 3 packs of tulips.

What are the odds I’ll actually be able to buy something at 5:00 PM today?

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Mar 5, 2021