Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Nth Doctor posted:

Did you not get the premium version?

Strange way to spell "iOS".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

pokeyman posted:

Strange way to spell "Windows Phone".

Cheen
Apr 17, 2005

Been having an issue the last two days where I cannot access the forums via the app. I logged out and was unable to log back in; a day later it did work, but then threads would not load later in the day. Not sure what other info to share.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Cheen posted:

Been having an issue the last two days where I cannot access the forums via the app. I logged out and was unable to log back in; a day later it did work, but then threads would not load later in the day. Not sure what other info to share.

Clear cache and data

ZoeDomingo
Nov 12, 2009
I've looked back through a few pages and haven't seen this issue, so I'm sorry if it's already been posted and I missed it.

For the past week or so, whenever I click a link that takes me out of the app, when I go back to the app, instead of taking me to the post where the link was, it takes me either to the top of the page or to the first post that was unread on the page when I opened it.

It doesn't seem to matter what the link goes. I have the app set to open images externally instead of embedded, and it happens with those, and also with links out to pages like Reddit, or Wikipedia, or anywhere else.

Any suggestions?

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam
Been seeing this for a while now, not sure when it started. I assumed it had to do with the phone, interesting that other people see it too. Version 3.8.1.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
I've renamed the thread tags repo's default branch to "main". Hopefully that doesn't break too much :)

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Has anyone been getting way more crashes in the thread view lately? Android wants me to uninstall the app since it's taking so much battery from crashing.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007
This specific post is causing poo poo to freak the gently caress out on my note10+

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3904642&pagenumber=659&perpage=40&userid=0#post512283335

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
The app has become non functional for me on a recent update. Galaxy s20+ installed from play store. Constant crashes and hangs that can only be solved by force stopping. Took me 3 tries to post this.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
App is working exactly as intended.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

xtal posted:

The app has become non functional for me on a recent update. Galaxy s20+ installed from play store. Constant crashes and hangs that can only be solved by force stopping. Took me 3 tries to post this.

I have this same phone with no issues like this. Sometimes things don't load but I suspect it's my connection or the forums rather than the app.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

xtal posted:

Using a VPN or DNS for adblocking?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Question #1 How long do I have after making a "mark post last read" to get back into the thread list?

Question #2 More of a request. Is there a way you could make it possible to "sticky" threads in the bookmarks page?

Thank you for your service, I continue to love the app.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Beachcomber posted:

Question #1 How long do I have after making a "mark post last read" to get back into the thread list?

It shouldn't update the "last read" marker unless you move to a new page in the same thread.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Party Boat posted:

It shouldn't update the "last read" marker unless you move to a new page in the same thread.

Awesome. I've apparently been racing a non-existent timer. :downs:

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Party Boat posted:

Huh it used to not do that but I just tested and it does now.

It used to be that if you marked a post last read and kept reading that it was the post you marked until you made it back to the thread list. That sucked because if the app never reloaded in the background then you could open it up and keep going not realizing that you left your spot back like twenty pages the next time you got to a computer.

Beachcomber posted:

Awesome. I've apparently been racing a non-existent timer. :downs:

I imagine though it must've felt nice to win every time :)

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

The "view posts by user" option appears to be having some issues in the app, I initially get the full list of pages with "page number you requested does not appear in this thread" and then the thread just stops loading if I try to step through additional pages. But then it seems to work correctly if I select the same option for another user before I get to the loading problem though.

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

I'm sorry if this is a known issue, but on all of my pixels (currently pixel 4a) I've loaded onto the page properly, i.e. I'm viewing the first unread post, and then the loading of images, tweet embeds, etc.* has caused the view to bounce around a bunch and I end up landing on a random post.

*Not actually sure this is the culprit

Edit: this also happens when I mark a post last unread. View refreshes, I end up on a random post.

big boi fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Feb 27, 2021

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Wasabi the J posted:

I was trying to find the natto episode of this show:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqPI9SjjtTM

Found this instead. Skip to 2:44

[video type="youtube"]K6anm4GdCRY?t=164[/video]

can't link to timecode? Maybe I'm dumb.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

This is the syntax for a time code link in SA, it works correctly if you paste it into the website. Mabe the app can't handle this?

code:
[video type="youtube" start="15s"]vid-id[/video]

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Carbon dioxide posted:

This is the syntax for a time code link in SA, it works correctly if you paste it into the website. Mabe the app can't handle this?

code:
[video type="youtube" start="15s"]vid-id[/video]

Nope just dumb! Thanks.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Could we get an option for horizontal swiping to only accept swipes from the borders of the screen?

Every time I try to move the playhead of an embedded video, the forums/bookmark list comes sliding in.

(I'm aware that horizontal swiping can be disabled altogether, I'd prefer it to be limited to the screen borders.)

mcbexx fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Mar 2, 2021

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Horizontal swipe already does different things from the edge vs not-the-edge so you'd still lose something

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

mcbexx posted:

Could we get an option for horizontal swiping to only accept swipes from the borders of the screen?

Every time I try to move the playhead of an embedded video, the forums/bookmark list comes sliding in.

(I'm aware that horizontal swiping can be disabled altogether, I'd prefer it to be limited to the screen borders.)

This would break modern android gestures

I'd suggest you tap embedded video instead of dragging

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Fluffy-backed Tit-Babbler

Horned Screamer

Bird scientific names are even worse, ornithologists have a hosed up sense of humour

Tibetan blackbird, Turdus maximus

Wattled crane, Bugeranus

Ochre-collared monarch, Arses insularis

Spoilers next to images are challenging to read on the app.

Sometimes you can get around it by just selecting text and highlighting the spoiled stuff, but even that doesn't work if there's italicised text inside the spoiler.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

What's hard about it? I just read this in the app no problem.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

LastInLine posted:

Maybe you got some little needle fingers or are trolling but I almost threw my loving phone in frustration trying to read them.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
I tried it and had no problem as well, for whatever that's worth.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

The devs could do some cross promotion with Jeffrey for an SA-branded phone stylus

No issues on a 5.5 inch screen

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I get that occasionally, but no more often than anything else precise on the phone touchscreen in general.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Look, it doesn't matter how big it is, it's how you use it.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

LastInLine posted:

Wasabi the J posted:

Maybe you got some little needle fingers or are trolling but I almost threw my loving phone in frustration trying to read them.

I'm somewhere between these two extremes(?). I didn't have too much trouble hitting the spoilered text with my thumb, but I did hit the above photos a few times, triggering the pop-up. On a Pixel 4 XL fwiw

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

spankmeister posted:

Sometimes it seems harder than other times, though.

And the same for trying to click on spoiler text next to images.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I have a smallish phone and biggish fingers and I had no problem fwiw

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

I'm somewhere between these two extremes(?). I didn't have too much trouble hitting the spoilered text with my thumb, but I did hit the above photos a few times, triggering the pop-up. On a Pixel 4 XL fwiw

Is that the problem the op is having? Hitting the pictures instead? I'm on a Pixel 4 XL and didn't have problems but more likely than small fingers or too large a phone it's probably that I keep the text size fairly large making a larger tap target.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

spankmeister posted:

King illegal forest to pig wild kill in it a is!

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Yes, the issue is that taps hit the images instead. It feels like the tap target for interacting with images is actually larger than the image itself, significantly reducing the area you can hit to reveal the text.

Especially when you have two images with a single line of spoiled text between them.

I suppose I could turn things up to should-really-have-glasses font sizes to work around it, but that would make the overall reading experience worse.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
It seems kinda weird that that's a tap menu at all - I don't think anything would be lost if you had to long press to copy the url of an image.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

It seems kinda weird that that's a tap menu at all - I don't think anything would be lost if you had to long press to copy the url of an image.

Could this have the unintended side effect of causing pop ups while scrolling through a thread? I keep my thumb down while scrolling a lot and the tap menu doesn't come up. It might be worth an options menu switch though.