Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

thotsky posted:

Not a big fan of the direction FLA took after Implode. I guess there's some worthwhile tracks on Civilization, but most of the stuff done in the last 20 years just sounds like video game soundtracks to me me; I much prefer the cyberpunk aesthetic from the 90's stuff.

AirMech is actually my favorite of theirs since Epitaph... :)

I feel like there’s quite a few directions since Implode though:

Epitaph is its own thing, more stripped-down dancey songs

Civilization is an odd grab bag without a strong focus

AS/IED are some of my least favorites, but they’re definitely a pair

AirMech/Echogenetic/WarMech seem very similar; maybe you can throw Wake Up the Coma in there too?

And then Mechanical Soul is a more subtle direction

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I found Epitaph and Civilization very boring but I loved IED. It sounds like if you blended the sounds of FLA and Noise Unit in the mid 90s. I don't have any real opinions on the Mech soundtracks and didn't like Echogenetic at all, but I loved how weird and different Wake Up the Coma was. Guest vocals, covers, horny songs, some really good dance tracks, fun album.

They are hit or miss, but I'm still willing to give the albums a chance where I've basically completely given up on Ministry and KMFDM. I like their new stuff more than the Skinny Puppy reunion albums too. Really the only act from that era that is really consistent in the last 20 years is Haujobb. I've liked every Haujobb album and a lot of the remixes too. It's crazy because Daniel is always working on a bunch of different things at once and a lot of it is really good.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

This is a little off-topic but rumor has it they're working on a new Cyberaktif album of all things.

TOOT BOOT fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Feb 4, 2021

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Without Goettel, that just becomes a Key/Leeb side project?

I never really got into that first LP.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Wax Trax is doing a 30th anniversary edition of Coil's Love's Secret Domain including a very limited super-deluxe edition including "a reprint of an original Wax Trax! press photo, a sheet of COIL blotter paper (DYO!), a full color poster of the LSD painting, a CD copy of the album and the extended booklet, all housed in a lavish hardbound book with detailed photographs of the iconic cover painting and other previously unpublished imagery inside".

Standard edition is a repress of the original LP on either black or red wax, deluxe edition is a 2LP on amber (limited to 2900) or black (limited to 1000) including the bonus tracks from the CD on vinyl for the first time.

Out June 21, preorders at http://waxtraxchicago.bigcartel.com/

This Is the Zodiac fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Feb 19, 2021

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Considering it's already on iTunes I wonder what the deal is with the rights to that album. Or really any Coil material, since it seems like a huge rights clusterfuck that never got sorted out properly. I remember someone here saying Chris Carter might have inherited the rights but I've never seen his name mentioned with regard to any re-releases that have happened.

Whispering Machines
Dec 27, 2005

Monsters? They look like monsters to you?
Hatari released a remixed Neyslutrans album! It's got remixes by Læther Strip, Klack, ESA, Moris Blak, and Gothsicles, to name a few artists.

It's on Spotify here.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

Whispering Machines posted:

Hatari released a remixed Neyslutrans album! It's got remixes by Læther Strip, Klack, ESA, Moris Blak, and Gothsicles, to name a few artists.

It's on Spotify here.

This is awesome, I saw they did a live DJ-thingie on their youtube a couple of days ago as well, it starts 32 minutes in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xl4FDxxtCTo

Mike Cartwright
Oct 29, 2011

state of the art

This Is the Zodiac posted:

Wax Trax is doing a 30th anniversary edition of Coil's Love's Secret Domain including a very limited super-deluxe edition including "a reprint of an original Wax Trax! press photo, a sheet of COIL blotter paper (DYO!), a full color poster of the LSD painting, a CD copy of the album and the extended booklet, all housed in a lavish hardbound book with detailed photographs of the iconic cover painting and other previously unpublished imagery inside".

Standard edition is a repress of the original LP on either black or red wax, deluxe edition is a 2LP on amber (limited to 2900) or black (limited to 1000) including the bonus tracks from the CD on vinyl for the first time.

Out June 21, preorders at http://waxtraxchicago.bigcartel.com/

ooooh yeah.. wax trax, takes ya back. great stuff! :)

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

The Wax Trax! documentary was wicked good. I think its called Industrial Accident.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

cEvin Key's new solo album Resonance dropped. Ka-Spel and IAMX guest on some tracks, along with Miami Bass King/Papaya Channeler Otto Von Shcirach. It's good stuff if you're into Key's flavor of slightly dancey electronica with a dose of weird. I was holding out for my vinyl copy to show up before giving it a listen, but thanks to COVID and the drama around the original album title I caved and am listening on Spotify.

Key has been fairly active during the pandemic. Not sure what's going on with the other half of Puppy. Hopefully that dude is OK as well.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

hatelull posted:

cEvin Key's new solo album Resonance dropped. Ka-Spel and IAMX guest on some tracks, along with Miami Bass King/Papaya Channeler Otto Von Shcirach. It's good stuff if you're into Key's flavor of slightly dancey electronica with a dose of weird. I was holding out for my vinyl copy to show up before giving it a listen, but thanks to COVID and the drama around the original album title I caved and am listening on Spotify.

Key has been fairly active during the pandemic. Not sure what's going on with the other half of Puppy. Hopefully that dude is OK as well.

He announced the announcement of a new Ohgr album before the pandemic but then never announced it so I am not sure what he is up to.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

MassRafTer posted:

He announced the announcement of a new Ohgr album before the pandemic but then never announced it so I am not sure what he is up to.

I saw some random "mysterious" quick footage that either he or Walk posted in his social media group, but yeah then everything went dark. I could see him taking the position of not wanting to release anything during a pandemic. He probably makes more money off touring merch than he would just straight record sales. Also I want to say he put Tricks through PledgeMusic and got screwed on that, with a situation where they didn't have any physical albums to sell on the tour. Hopefully he takes the bandcamp route this time.

hatelull fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Feb 25, 2021

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Mike Cartwright posted:

ooooh yeah.. wax trax, takes ya back. great stuff! :)

Kvlt! posted:

The Wax Trax! documentary was wicked good. I think its called Industrial Accident.

They also do random Wax Trax Wednesday DJ streams sometimes, like today. They're good:
https://twitch.tv/videos/927296827

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

This is making me laugh ... an alt-rock inspired collaboration between Gothsicles and Volt 9000:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2-RsQBgbW0

Whispering Machines
Dec 27, 2005

Monsters? They look like monsters to you?
I know Brian from Gothsicles (and his wife, they're both great humans) so I'm always surprised when people outside of Boston know who they are!

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I thought they were pretty well known in this circle? I was sold when I first stumbled across English License, but he's hilarious and awesome and I managed to even see him + Causticles at what was probably the final electro-industrial festival in Toronto, something like six years ago.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

hatelull posted:

Without Goettel, that just becomes a Key/Leeb side project?

I never really got into that first LP.

Nothing Stays is amazing to this day for me. I don't listen to it very much anymore obviously but man....a good tune. It pretty much encapsulates the best of early-ish FLA for me.

Kaddish fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Mar 1, 2021

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

hatelull posted:

Holy cow, it's Otto von Schirach making an appearance!

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I thought it was weird cEvin had to change the name of the album. I guess some people told him it was cultural appropriation to use the previous name because it was a native word so he agreed to change it. Seemed a bit overzealous to me considering he wasn't doing it in a disrespectful way.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Yeah the album was the name of a park he played in a lot iirc. Its like saying you cant name an album "Massachusetts" bc its a native american word. I dont see how it makes any sort of sense or helps anyone at all

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Kvlt! posted:

Yeah the album was the name of a park he played in a lot iirc. Its like saying you cant name an album "Massachusetts" bc its a native american word. I dont see how it makes any sort of sense or helps anyone at all

Stanley Park (built on the site of Xwayxway) is the park for which Too Dark Park is named. It's a neat story, and I think it has something to say about the history of Vancouver, but I'm not Native American so idk not my place to say

https://www.side-line.com/skinny-puppy-founder-to-release-5th-solo-album-new-track-streaming-feat-edward-kaspel-the-legendary-pink-dots/

quote:

Key: “I was surprised to hear only recently of a 3,000 year old village which stood on the spot of Lumbermen’s Arch, its history erased. This instantly explained the many enigmatic sensations, profound feelings, and visions I’ve had in the park. I am saddened by the story of Xwayxway. I truly believe this is something we should have been taught in schools so people would recognize the park sits on Salish land which to this day has never been ceded. Perhaps that is why no one mentions it, or its secret mysteries contained within. [Skinny Puppy’s 1990 album] ‘Too Dark Park’ refers to this park, and I feel that title to now be an only more appropriate reference, given its dark history. I have an immense love for the forest in the park. It can speak. I could feel this inspiration deeply. I dedicate this album to the spirits of Xwayxway.”

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Yeah I mean, that's what I'm getting at. Does anything in that statement seem like he's trying to disrespect or appropriate someone else's culture? It sounds like he was coming from a place of healthy respect and he was still convinced to change it. Oh well.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I just wonder if anybody else has ever named two albums after the same park.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing
it's a good park.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Now please fuck off
After checking the Out of Line youtube channel I found some new stuff I'd like to share with this thread

Kiberspassk - Kikimora
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJFXMbobwY8
Kiberspassk is a new band and in this song they combine industrial music with Mongolian throat singing

Kiberspassk - Liho
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooBf958Th3A
This is more of a Dark Ambient piece

To Dead to Die - They All Were Wrong
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuLoN1xXwG0

Suicide Commando - Bunkerb!tch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aer02RAS658
Suicide Commando is getting critical of America in this one

Blutengel - Forever Young
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sqyw_oyWFE
A cover of Alphavilles classic

Solar Fake - It's Who You Are
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0btFVScoLs

Asbach & Rummelsnuff - Wolf und Einhorn
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVzeITRdN_Y
Asbach & Rummelsnuff delievers comedy once again

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Now please fuck off
Forgot to add this

Rummelsnuff - Müllabfuhr
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UZ9cyLdfcg

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
the founder of Slimelight died in December

his funeral was today

his hearse was, of course, a tank

https://www.mylondon.news/news/north-london-news/gallery/tank-used-hearse-driven-through-19956956

xov
Nov 14, 2005

DNA Ts. Rednum or F. Raf
edit: Yo, holy gently caress, happy Decade to this drat thread as of a few days ago. Ten years. :woop:

The new Solar Fake album is phenomenal. I enjoy their formula, so seeing that their new stuff isn't trying to reinvent anything and is just more of the same... makes me very happy.

Sven writes lyrics that I can apply to a lot of poo poo, and my nerd-rear end brain sometimes subsists solely on metaphor for months at a time. It indulges in a different buffet every time I look up lyrics for a song.

I couldn't stand it while I was going through a mini-breakup, but now that I've got my head in the clouds most of the day writing self-indulgent fiction about two folk in a toxic codependent relationship, it's a loving panacea.

The acoustic recordings are amazing as well. I spent way too long trying to find a name for that gravelly voice crack thing. I like it a lot.

xov fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Mar 4, 2021

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Now please fuck off

xov posted:

edit: Yo, holy gently caress, happy Decade to this drat thread as of a few days ago. Ten years. :woop:

Really? Think this is the slowest thread that I've bookmarked, it's not even 200 pages yet. Not counting dead threads of course

xov posted:

The new Solar Fake album is phenomenal. I enjoy their formula, so seeing that their new stuff isn't trying to reinvent anything and is just more of the same... makes me very happy.

Sven writes lyrics that I can apply to a lot of poo poo, and my nerd-rear end brain sometimes subsists solely on metaphor for months at a time. It indulges in a different buffet every time I look up lyrics for a song.

I couldn't stand it while I was going through a mini-breakup, but now that I've got my head in the clouds most of the day writing self-indulgent fiction about two folk in a toxic codependent relationship, it's a loving panacea.

The acoustic recordings are amazing as well. I spent way too long trying to find a name for that gravelly voice crack thing. I like it a lot.

Yeah, you can always count on Solar Fake to never change, well they've changed a little bit but not in ways that matter.

What gravelly voice crack thing do you mean?

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

imo

xov
Nov 14, 2005

DNA Ts. Rednum or F. Raf

Kamrat posted:

Yeah, you can always count on Solar Fake to never change, well they've changed a little bit but not in ways that matter.

What gravelly voice crack thing do you mean?

I dunno, just the breathy... often tenuous quality of his voice on their softer stuff, like he's constantly falling apart, and it digs claws into my soul in a good way. Being a fan of futurepop and the like, I usually gravitate toward hyper-quantized pitch-perfect autotuned-to-gently caress stuff, but Mr. Sven is an exception.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75qYXP11-j4

Can't get enough of this.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
This may be a little too electro-adjacent and if so I'm sorry, but Francoise Cactus of wave giants Stereo Total died on the 17th of october, from breast cancer :smith:

She was always kind to be around and an amazing talent who nevertheless didn't get star crazy. Honour to her memory:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-D6MzJXMYuo

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k
[:SITD:] did a remix for us...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5P9WlivIbCg

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Julian Beeston just put out a full length album for his project Featured (each track has a different featured female vocalist) called Girly and it's really good. Some absolutely goofy lyrics in some tracks but definitely worth checking out. The description he put on on bandcamp is pretty good too.

quote:

This album is a collection of songs I’ve written, some more recently and some that go back a number of years. In fact, a few were rejected by former colleagues and I was promptly shown the door for having ‘ideas above my station’. In hindsight, probably rightly so.
Being ‘shown the door’ or ’fired’ seems to come up a lot in my checkered journey though music. Asked to leave Nitzer Ebb after a number of years for not being much of a jazz drummer and having ideas that weren’t up to the standard of their legendary last album for Mute I then fired myself from the band I briefly formed afterwards, Shining, as, well, it was a bit crap. Moving on, I was never asked back to Die Krupps for being a drunken twat and trying to drive their tour bus somewhat ‘under the influence’. Later, I was politely rejected from both C-Tec and Cubanate before finally being kicked out of D.Kay.com for not being German.
Anyway, that said, water under the jolly old bridge as they say. Having managed to forge a career in all things audio related for most of my life and even though there have been quite a few questionable remixes / projects with my name attached to them and an awful lot of dodgy reality tv music (the former largely being quite forgettable and the latter I refuse to be ashamed of as the $$ are good), I thought it was time to put together an album of some of the songs that I’ve written and commit them to a release of sorts.
As I’m such a terrible singer, I decided to have some rather talented ladies (to whom I am eternally grateful) sing them for me, hence the title of this album, “Girly”.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Now please fuck off
Seems like Laibach released a new video 8 days ago for the song Brat moj
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nl6bWvzLaHs

Edit:
Oh, didn't realise the video was a re-edit of this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNVqRC4mcSI

Still, it fits pretty well

Kamrat fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Mar 18, 2021

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

The Birthday Massacre re-recorded their cover of 'The Neverending Story' and released it to iTunes just now. Last I heard they didn't like the demo they did like 15-20 years ago so this was a pleasant surprise.

Edit: Sorry, this is kinda-adjacent and there isn't a more appropriate thread.

TOOT BOOT fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Mar 19, 2021

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Geez, they'd been teasing it for quite a while. I assumed with so much hype it was another album.

I like it though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svJvUtCrvj0

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I don't get how this has less than 3000 listens on spotify, I consider it a classic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXRmODwBXpc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Ah, there are two artist entires on spotify, one for Mentallo & The Fixer and one for Mentallo and The Fixer. That explains things.