Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Sanguinia posted:

Cancel Culture doesn't exist, its called "society's values change and there are social consequences if you don't adjust your behavior in response to that." Conservatives don't like the fact that the values they want America to have are going out of business in the Marketplace of Ideas so much like their beloved oil industry and they're trying to demand that they be given an incredibly disproportionate advantage so they don't get completely bankrupted out of the competition.

Also ask a Conservative if they think it was right for Jussie Smolette's career to be obliterated for an alleged crime he was never convicted for and suddenly they'll love cancel culture.

Or how many Dixie Chicks albums have been sold since the Bush presidency.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Desperado Bones posted:

They are crying about Dr. Seuss racist caricatures that Dr.Seuss himself was ashamed of later in life. Later on it was decided not to re-print like a couple of books for the same reason.

That's all. They are making a fuzz over there not being racism on children's books.

Important to note it was Seuss's own foundation who made the decision not to continue printing a handful of books with things like Africans in grass skirts and bone-noses.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Desperado Bones posted:

They are crying about Dr. Seuss racist caricatures that Dr.Seuss himself was ashamed of later in life. Later on it was decided not to re-print like a couple of books for the same reason.

That's all. They are making a fuzz over there not being racism on children's books.
No, it has gotten worse than that. He was "cancelled" so they all started buying his books "in support", and now his books are sold out because of the chud run on them, and this is further proof that he is "cancelled".

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Also, The Muppets and Mr. Potato Head. Disney has restricted the original Muppets show from what I gather, so it can only be viewed from an adult account rather than a general one, and plays a warning about offensive depictions that they want people to be aware of and talk about before the show. Which isn't actually going anywhere. It's still available, and a parent could easily put it on for their kid, even assuming a kid was interested in watching one of the older Muppets shows in the first place. Mr. Potato Head has also just become Potato Head; no gender. Which probably isn't even anything to do with gender politics really, and just means that it can be marketed to boys and girls at the same time more easily, given it's now completely non-gender specific. It's still there and you can make it a male, female or whatever depending on your preference at any given time. It's just a simpler marketing line than having a Mr and Mrs Potato Head. I don't believe there was any initial push for the changes to happen either in these cases.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

tsob posted:

Also, The Muppets and Mr. Potato Head. Disney has restricted the original Muppets show from what I gather, so it can only be viewed from an adult account rather than a general one, and plays a warning about offensive depictions that they want people to be aware of and talk about before the show. Which isn't actually going anywhere. It's still available, and a parent could easily put it on for their kid, even assuming a kid was interested in watching one of the older Muppets shows in the first place. Mr. Potato Head has also just become Potato Head; no gender. Which probably isn't even anything to do with gender politics really, and just means that it can be marketed to boys and girls at the same time more easily, given it's now completely non-gender specific. It's still there and you can make it a male, female or whatever depending on your preference at any given time. It's just a simpler marketing line than having a Mr and Mrs Potato Head. I don't believe there was any initial push for the changes to happen either in these cases.

Not quite. It's even dumber than that. There is still going to be a Mr. and Mrs. Potato Head. The umbrella PRODUCT name has just been simplified to Potato Head to cover all the Potato Head toys since it didn't make sense to have a product called "Mrs. Potato Head by Mr. Potato Head."

Potato Head

also, complaints about the Muppets are dumb as poo poo as well, since the warnings were added when Disney recently worked out the rights and is finally streaming the show on Disney+ (previously it wasn't available for streaming anywhere). So in reality the Muppets are more widely available and "uncancelled" than ever.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
They should have just changed their names to Adam Potato Head and Eve Potato Head, then it'd make perfect sense that Eve Potato Head was made by Adam Potato Head, and Christian fundamentalist nutjobs would buy it in droves :science:

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Hazo posted:

also, complaints about the Muppets are dumb as poo poo as well, since the warnings were added when Disney recently worked out the rights and is finally streaming the show on Disney+ (previously it wasn't available for streaming anywhere). So in reality the Muppets are more widely available and "uncancelled" than ever.

Content warnings are even worse than canceling because they denegrate glorious American culture by pandering to SJW and Antifa LIES which criminalize whiteness and maleness! - Something nazis are probably saying somewhere

Remember the Gone With The Wind thing? We literally can't put a content warning on full blown openly-racist Lost Cause propaganda without "defacing an American treasure"

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Honestly surprised they haven’t added the Golliwog to that image.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

They should have used the other painting of dunes

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

John Wick of Dogs posted:

After viewing the following artwork I now demand they bring back Cara Dune

https://twitter.com/rhonda_linville/status/1367008466888458240?s=19

He's headed for those small moons.

Those aren't moons....

I have a bad feeling about this.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Let’s see how comfortable she is when she finds out Grogu is gender fluid.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
As a true scifi nerd I am most outraged that this image is inaccurate as it was drawn from the perspective in the Razor Crest that has no beds or couches but is in fact the area where the ladder from the cargo hold comes up and is a much smaller area than depicted!

I hope somebody got fired for that!

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

ruddiger posted:

Let’s see how comfortable she is when she finds out Grogu is gender fluid.

Grogu fucks Grogu buds

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
How hard is it for someone like Bill Burr to just say something to the effect of "Its too bad my castmate got herself fired"? It supports Disney's stance without taking an explicit side in the matter.

If he's so worried about being canceled over what he might say in the future, the best way to hedge against that happening is to not openly hand wring about it.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Panfilo posted:

How hard is it for someone like Bill Burr to just say something to the effect of "Its too bad my castmate got herself fired"? It supports Disney's stance without taking an explicit side in the matter.

If he's so worried about being canceled over what he might say in the future, the best way to hedge against that happening is to not openly hand wring about it.

I don't know. On some level I'm a little okay that Barr's (presumably kneejerk) bias is toward his cast mate instead of the big-rear end corporation.

"It's too bad my castmate got him/herself fired" is a stance that could easily be taken by others for the next Ray Fisher thing. And we all know damned well that there's going to be something like that in the future. Hell, a bunch of somethings like that.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Wait, did something actually happen with Paw Patrol at some point? Or are they just complaining about people complaining about copaganda?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
^^^^
I think a breadtuber did a half-joking video about how the main character runs a fascist dystopia or something, and people latched onto it.

Everyone posted:

I don't know. On some level I'm a little okay that Barr's (presumably kneejerk) bias is toward his cast mate instead of the big-rear end corporation.

"It's too bad my castmate got him/herself fired" is a stance that could easily be taken by others for the next Ray Fisher thing. And we all know damned well that there's going to be something like that in the future. Hell, a bunch of somethings like that.
It's real easy to just say nothing.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Cattail Prophet posted:

Wait, did something actually happen with Paw Patrol at some point? Or are they just complaining about people complaining about copaganda?

ADCAB (all dog cops are bastards)

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Y’all thirsty as hell, goddamn

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos
I don't let my daughter watch paw patrol or any other copaganda.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Arquinsiel posted:

^^^^
It's real easy to just say nothing.

Yes it is. When Charisma Carpenter came forward (in part due to Ray Fisher's story) about Whedon's treatment of her it would have been very easy for her cast mates to have simply said nothing instead of supporting her and sharing their own stories.

No, Burr isn't some kind of hero for what he said. And Hell No, Carano isn't a victim of anything other than her own bigoted stupidity.

I guess I'm saying that if I have to choose, I'd rather be somebody who shoots their mouth off occasioanlly defending somebody who probably shouldn't be defended than be somebody who shuts up and lets bad situations continue instead of speaking out.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
How about someone who speaks out defending people who deserve to be defended and shuts the gently caress up otherwise?

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos
A friend of a friend is a well-to-do Hong Kong banker and one time when I was at his place he got into an argument with my friend. It was richy-rich stuff so I knew well enough to stay silent and enjoy the good booze but it boiled down to Trump's economic policy. My friend was not a fan. His friend, on the other hand, felt that it was a government's duty and only real utility to "offer comfort to the comfortable". Bill Burr seems on that dude's wavelength.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Butterfly Valley posted:

How about someone who speaks out defending people who deserve to be defended and shuts the gently caress up otherwise?

That's a brilliant idea! Because it's always super-duper easy at all times to determine which is which.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Butterfly Valley posted:

Pedro Pascal?

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 33 days!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Y’all thirsty as hell, goddamn

Why do you think we're so disappointed that the cute fighter lady turned out to be a massive chud? :sigh:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Everyone posted:

That's a brilliant idea! Because it's always super-duper easy at all times to determine which is which.
Well given that your examples are Gina Carano and Charisma Carpenter...

Yes. Extremely easy. Trivially easy in fact.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Panfilo posted:

I really don’t think he’s worried at all, because you can find some really outrageous stuff in his extremely popular published material.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Why do you think we're so disappointed that the cute fighter lady turned out to be a massive chud? :sigh:

“Turned out to be” implies she didn’t always have lovely views, which I’m sure wasn’t the case. She just couldn’t stop shutting up about it, which is a good thing. I’d want that kind of poo poo to get exposed rather than having people being low key toxic on a set.

And don’t lump us all in to the “disappointed” crowd. Good riddance to bad rubbish. gently caress her and her bigoted views.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 33 days!

ruddiger posted:

“Turned out to be” implies she didn’t always have lovely views, which I’m sure wasn’t the case. She just couldn’t stop shutting up about it, which is a good thing. I’d want that kind of poo poo to get exposed rather than having people being low key toxic on a set.

And don’t lump us all in to the “disappointed” crowd. Good riddance to bad rubbish. gently caress her and her bigoted views.

Mayhap I wasn't being 100% entirely serious with my post ;)

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Arquinsiel posted:

Well given that your examples are Gina Carano and Charisma Carpenter...

Yes. Extremely easy. Trivially easy in fact.

If you care enough to follow them on Twitter or otherwise look them up, which, for the most part, I don't. I learned about Carano and Carpenter and Ray Fisher here on this site in these threads.

Without that, lumping Fisher, Carano and Carpenter together into the "Screw 'em, bunch of whiny millionaire actors bitching" category would have been extremely easy. Trivially easy in fact.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Everyone posted:

If you care enough to follow them on Twitter or otherwise look them up, which, for the most part, I don't. I learned about Carano and Carpenter and Ray Fisher here on this site in these threads.

Without that, lumping Fisher, Carano and Carpenter together into the "Screw 'em, bunch of whiny millionaire actors bitching" category would have been extremely easy. Trivially easy in fact.
Dude was her co-worker. He knows why she got fired. You're stretching real hard here to make this look like a tough call dude. Suspiciously hard.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Arquinsiel posted:

Dude was her co-worker. He knows why she got fired. You're stretching real hard here to make this look like a tough call dude. Suspiciously hard.

Suspiciously? Well, suck on your suspicion all you like.

You know what I know about my co-workers' Twitter feeds? gently caress all. Ditto Facebook. Ditto Myspace (is that even a thing any more?) Do they make anti-trans rants while at work? A couple of them, but mostly the subject just doesn't come up because we're at work.

Now, do I really think Burr didn't know why she got canned? No. Her getting fired wasn't just something on Twitter. It made actual news.

On the other hand, maybe his reaction was along the lines of those neighbors who say "Well, he was a really nice, quiet person" after the FBI pulls 30 dismembered prostitutes out from under some dude's house. Maybe Burr was remembering all the various less-than-enlightened poo poo he's said in his acts (which I've never watched because "edgy comedy" bored the gently caress out of me back when Andrew Dice Clay had a career). I don't know.

For my part I have zero problem with what happened to Gina Carano. Under the US Constitution you are guaranteed freedom of speech. You are specifically not guaranteed freedom from consequences for your free speech. Other people/entities have freedom of association, which means that the Disney corporation is perfectly free to disassociate itself from Gina Carano by firing her bigoted rear end.

Still, let's remember that Disney is just as free to fire Pedro Pascal for expressing pro-trans views as they were to fire Gina Carano for expressing anti-trans views.

My original point is that cheering on the giant corporation or just staying quiet about it doesn't necessarily give us a world of hugs and puppies.

Everyone fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Mar 5, 2021

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Bill Burr is good and he will get another episode and it will be good.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Will it be a flashback episode or something? Billy Tri-Blaster died.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Bust Rodd posted:

Bill Burr is good and he will get another episode and it will be good.

I hate him and think he’s dumb as hell but I enjoy him in the Star Wars show.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Will it be a flashback episode or something? Billy Tri-Blaster died.

??? What? No he didn’t, he literally just walks off screen lmao

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

It's a joke because they pretend he died to explain why he isn't going back to prison. :ssh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Migs Mayfield goes back to prison because between Season 2 and Season 3, Cara Dune goes back on her word and tries to run him down and he kills her in the struggle. Mando has to bust him out of prison again for another job he needs him for because Star Wars is all about doing the same poo poo over and over and over again.