Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Welcome to 2021. 20 Days till we get a new CIC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

Godholio posted:

If anyone's on FB but doesn't follow the AMN/NCO/SNCO group, I strongly recommend it. It's about 1/3 memes, 1/3 whiners and mockery of said whiners, and 1/3 legitimate grievances being aired that occasionally actually lead to change. Some examples, a Shaw airman was complaining that the finance office was basically giving him and his squadron the finger, to which Col O'Malley, WG/CC, replied with his office phone number and said to call Monday and it'll be taken care of. Baller. The AF's recent investigation into systematic racism and discrimination in the service was heavily impacted by social media posts from airmen, and included specific references to that page. There have also been fundraisers for when Tricare is loving around; a baby got one of those cranial-shaping helmets a few days ago thanks to this page, because Tricare won't actually cover it until after reconstructive surgery is attempted; nevermind that surgery is typically the last resort in these cases.

I say all that to bring this up. Pretty sure it's a few months old but the airman has thrown it into the public eye.

An airmen at Buckley, probably med group, attempted to commit suicide using an IV needle. For whatever reason, the attempt was unsuccessful and the airmen spent several days in a psychiatric facility. After a full week had passed, the airman's supervisor and shirt stopped by. They did not ask his/her condition or express any concern for his/her wellbeing. They dropped off an LOR for theft (of the IV needle), and an LOC (for being 7 minutes late the day after the attempt). No concern was expressed after discharge from the facility either.

gently caress that commander, and if he/she was not removed from that office, gently caress that group's/wing's leadership.

Isn't O'Malley one of the Gold Bond guys? I've heard of him intervening in the past, seems like a solid guy.

BULLETKISS
Jul 3, 2003

I just hit that retirement button! Happy new year!

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

But we are totally destigmatizing mental health guyz :agesilaus:

Seriously, this is so asinine it seems like a fake.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

hannibal posted:

Isn't O'Malley one of the Gold Bond guys? I've heard of him intervening in the past, seems like a solid guy.

He wrote it and plays front and center. His brother sang the song.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
Not only that, but gave his name, rank, duty title and unit right before cavorting with a singing penis puppet. The late 90s were a different time.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
I wonder if USAF keeps copies of that video even though they try their damndest to take it down (though the Daily Mail has had a copy up since 2019 and probably gives no fucks about takedown requests). Sending a FOIA request for it would be amusing.

SMEGMA_MAIL
May 4, 2018
First funny copypasta I’ve seen in a while:

Be a casual LT
Wake up 0430
Gotta be to casual job by 0900
Get out of shower, look in the mirror. Look sad.
Put on flight suit.
Hell yeah.
Imma pilot.
All better.
Go down stairs.
Wife asks why I'm wearing a flight suit when I don't actually fly.
"Imma pilot"
Wife rolls eyes. She doesn't understand.
Head to BX to get my coffee.
Forgot my aviators.
Better go back.
Back at BX
See an enlisted guy walking towards me
8 stripes. OTS training tell me that's a chief.
"Good morning, chief"
"How ya doing, L.T.!"
"I think you mean 'How ya doing, sir?' Remember customs and courtesies."
Rowdy enlisted.
Get to casual job at 0815. On time is late. Early is on time.
O-5 comes in. "Where's the coffee?"
Hell yeah. Interaction with senior leadership.
"I'll get it for you Lieutenant Colonel Smith, sir!"
Bring the coffee. Success!
Gonna put that in my OPR.
"Prevented fatigue of senior leaderhip; productivity increased 47.3% -- DOD readiness ensured."
Bullet looks funny.
Remove all vowels.
Much better.
It's 1100. Time to go home.
See Msgt with pocket unbuttoned.
"Give me your 341."
"What?"
"Give me your 341."
Msgt walks away. Doesn't even salute
The enlisted are getting out of hand. I'll let it slide this time.
Stop at gas station
Attendant asks how my day is
"Hard. But it's all worth for your freedom."
Imma pilot.
I'm an American hero.
PT time.
Go for a run.
Forget aviators.
Go back to car to get them.
Sing jodies to myself.
I only know one.
See a T-38.
T-38 does a go around.
Dumbass. Can't even do a proper approach.
Getting tired. Imma stop running now.
Check smart watch.
0.72 miles. Nice.
I am a model of perfect fitness.
Go home.
Feel sad.
Put flight suit back on
Hell yeah
All better
Spend rest of the day at home in flight suit
Gotta be ready in case the O-5 calls again. Might need more coffee.
It's 2100. Getting dark out.
Go outside to get mail.
Forgot aviators.
Gotta go back in to get them.
Neighbor is walking his dog. "Why are still in your flight suit, LT. It's 9pm?"
"Imma pilot"
He doesn't understand. I've soloed the DA-20.
I'm an American hero.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

That accurately describes most of the 14Ns I worked with

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

Bullet looks funny.
Remove all vowels.
Much better.

:laffo::laffo:

Knives Amilli
Sep 26, 2014

Its sad how true it is

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/fbi-arrests-grapevine-man-photographed-in-tactical-gear-on-us-senate-floor/2524718/

Does anyone know if this guy, USAF Academy grad and retired O-5, can be recalled to active duty for court martial?

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Zwabu posted:

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/fbi-arrests-grapevine-man-photographed-in-tactical-gear-on-us-senate-floor/2524718/

Does anyone know if this guy, USAF Academy grad and retired O-5, can be recalled to active duty for court martial?

Yes he can. Retirees are subject to the UCMJ after retirement for a period of no less than however long they keep breathing.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

It's always surprising how few people understand where the half-pay pension comes from. It's not a trick created to retain an all-volunteer force.

AFStealth
Jun 24, 2006

Shut up baby, I know it
So my plan to separate is finally happening! Tinker is doing its best to run everyone into the ground and I'm happy to be leaving finally. Waiting for my approval but I got an internship with Amazon using DOD skillbridge and comes with a full job offer as soon as I start terminal leave.

Knives Amilli
Sep 26, 2014

AFStealth posted:

So my plan to separate is finally happening! Tinker is doing its best to run everyone into the ground and I'm happy to be leaving finally. Waiting for my approval but I got an internship with Amazon using DOD skillbridge and comes with a full job offer as soon as I start terminal leave.

check ur pms...I know a guy in the Amazon program. Says good things about it

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

AFStealth posted:

Congrats! gently caress Tinker.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Congrats on the freedom, you can finally live your life

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Congrats dude!

AFStealth
Jun 24, 2006

Shut up baby, I know it
Thanks guys! Hard to explain the sense of relief I've been feeling but I can already tell it's so worth it.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

AFStealth posted:

Thanks guys! Hard to explain the sense of relief I've been feeling but I can already tell it's so worth it.

I've been out since December and it owns

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

AFStealth posted:

Fly high you crazy diamond.

I have one more year until 20 and I am counting the days.

Ragaman
Feb 6, 2002
Title? I dont need no stinkin' Title

nullscan posted:

Fly high you crazy diamond.

I have one more year until 20 and I am counting the days.

Congrats to everyone who made it out/is about to punch out. The last year flies by so quickly, you will blink and it’s over. Being a civilian is really nice, especially being able to leave as soon as my 8 hours is over and not give any fucks.

Dammit_Carl!
Mar 5, 2013
Congratulations on making it out!

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum

Ragaman posted:

Congrats to everyone who made it out/is about to punch out. The last year flies by so quickly, you will blink and it’s over. Being a civilian is really nice, especially being able to leave as soon as my 8 hours is over and not give any fucks.

I've got 19 months more to hit 20 years and it seems like forever and way too soon at the same time.

Ragaman
Feb 6, 2002
Title? I dont need no stinkin' Title
Oh yeah, when I was about 2 years out it felt like forever, but that last 12 months? Almost too quick. Just trying to get TAPS done and all my medical appointments and the various out processing things and at times it felt like information overload :kingsley:

Now I’m working for Jacobs as a contractor and it’s a nice feeing to know that I could just pull chocks and go work for someone else, somewhere else, at a moments notice (technically) is pretty awesome. Don’t have to worry about staff meetings, supervising airmen, alternate duties etc. It’s not perfect but it definitely feels better.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Maintainers in shorts above 80F! Flash those gams!

SMEGMA_MAIL
May 4, 2018

AFStealth posted:

Hey Navy here but is it possible to land those Amazon apprenticeships without still being active duty? There a zero percent change my command will allow that so I’ll have to be out first. I can’t find any reference to any clear eligibility requirements.

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Hey Navy here but is it possible to land those Amazon apprenticeships without still being active duty? There a zero percent change my command will allow that so I’ll have to be out first. I can’t find any reference to any clear eligibility requirements.

Getting denied for DoD SkillBridge is gonna be a big thing that you should have a lot of leverage against your command for...

AFStealth
Jun 24, 2006

Shut up baby, I know it

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

For IT jobs yes I think. This is the website I used:

https://www.amazon.jobs/en/landing_pages/mil-apprentice

I would apply, they'll connect you to their military recruitment team and you can ask them for specific jobs. From what I've seen, their operations training programs require skillbridge though.

SMEGMA_MAIL
May 4, 2018

antimatt posted:

Getting denied for DoD SkillBridge is gonna be a big thing that you should have a lot of leverage against your command for...

They’re also denying everyone’s terminal leave who isn’t retiring now at my command. Just the navy I guess.

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

They’re also denying everyone’s terminal leave who isn’t retiring now at my command. Just the navy I guess.

My advice would be still go for it. They can only say no.

SMEGMA_MAIL
May 4, 2018

antimatt posted:

My advice would be still go for it. They can only say no.

I likely will. They already denied (like, the CO actually denied) terminal leave for every single person who didn't retire, so I don't think they really give a gently caress either way.

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

I likely will. They already denied (like, the CO actually denied) terminal leave for every single person who didn't retire, so I don't think they really give a gently caress either way.
Between what I've read in the Navy thread and my experiences in working joint service environments, I'm so glad I didn't join the navy. Seems like things just keep getting worse by the year

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

King of rings, armlocks, hugs, and our hearts

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

What in the actual gently caress

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Wait, you can deny Terminal Leave?

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
Got a question about PT testing and my retirement.

AFI 36-2905 posted:

4.2.1. An Airmen is exempt from taking any additional official fitness assessments when: 4.2.1.1. The Airmen has a passing fitness assessment within 12 months of their effective retirement or separation date from military service.

4.2.1.2. The Airmen is exempt from the fitness assessment but is current within 12 months of their effective retirement or separation date from military service. Note: Airmen cannot exceed 365 days for an official fitness assessment. If the retirement or separation date is cancelled, Airmen will complete the fitness assessment in accordance with their original fitness assessment cycle (e.g., six or 12 months) or, if the original cycle date has passed, within 42 calendar days (re-acclimation time). (T-1).

My AFFMS says my last test was 19 Jun 20, and I'm due 31 March, like most of us, but that's up in the air at this time until Bass comes back with a GO or NO GO for testing resuming in Apirl.

My approved retirement date is 1 Aug 21, so I'll exceed 365 days while I'm on terminal leave. As far as I can tell, assuming the tests come back for April, I will have to test 1 more time before I retire, correct?

Goal is to NOT have to take one more test while I'm doing terminal leave stuff, because that would be the dumbest thing ever.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Looks like it's 1 July now.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Jimmy Smuts posted:

Between what I've read in the Navy thread and my experiences in working joint service environments, I'm so glad I didn't join the navy. Seems like things just keep getting worse by the year

Point blank I loving deeply regret that I chose the Navy over the French Foreign Legion when I couldn't go to the other services due to my weed charge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whatever man
Feb 4, 2009

lite_sleepr posted:

Got a question about PT testing and my retirement.

My AFFMS says my last test was 19 Jun 20, and I'm due 31 March, like most of us, but that's up in the air at this time until Bass comes back with a GO or NO GO for testing resuming in Apirl.

My approved retirement date is 1 Aug 21, so I'll exceed 365 days while I'm on terminal leave. As far as I can tell, assuming the tests come back for April, I will have to test 1 more time before I retire, correct?

Goal is to NOT have to take one more test while I'm doing terminal leave stuff, because that would be the dumbest thing ever.

I recently retired, effective 1 March. My last PT test was Nov 2019. I was due to test in May 2020, but then COVID happened and I never tested again. Situation is different because there were no tests for my last year in, but I definitely went over 365 days.