Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Lunch. Burnt toast with crunchy peanut butter, chopped green olives, French's mustard. I took a few bites before I remembered goons would be appalled.

I eat this when I'm unhappy with my sodium levels. It has made two people wretch.

e: retch. Though one of them was indeed a wretch, I didn't do it.

fizzymercury has a new favorite as of 23:23 on Mar 4, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
big would from me

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

That toast doesn't look burnt at all, what are you trying to pull

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
There's a big black spot under the peanut butter because I need a new toaster. The rest is a respectable golden brown.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

fizzymercury posted:

Lunch. Burnt toast with crunchy peanut butter, chopped green olives, French's mustard. I took a few bites before I remembered goons would be appalled.

I eat this when I'm unhappy with my sodium levels. It has made two people wretch.

e: retch. Though one of them was indeed a wretch, I didn't do it.

Swap the olives with pepperoncini and I would eat this

poo poo, I might just make one next time I'm at the store and can remember to grab a jar

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
I wonder how many of the people mad about vegan ribs not being literal ribs have turned their ire on the McRib?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Butterfly Valley posted:

I wonder how many of the people mad about vegan ribs not being literal ribs have turned their ire on the McRib?

Has McDonalds ever actually called the meat on the McRib a rib? The closest I could find was "seasoned boneless pork dipped in a tangy BBQ sauce".

Nobody cares if you give your faux food a cute sounding name, but calling it something it is not should not be acceptable labeling.

AreWeDrunkYet has a new favorite as of 23:33 on Mar 4, 2021

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I would argue that both the prefix "Mc*" and the adjective "vegan" do a pretty good job of informing you that the item is not, in fact, meat from the ribs of an animal

*apologies to the gaelic peoples of the british isles for adopting your language for our fast food

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Has McDonalds ever actually called the meat on the McRib a rib? The closest I could find was "seasoned boneless pork dipped in a tangy BBQ sauce".

Nobody cares if you give your faux food a cute sounding name, but calling it something it is not should not be acceptable labeling.

Why do you hate whimsy?

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
Barbecued seitan is good and I wish I could eat it.

Barbecued tempeh is not good :(

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
McVegan ribs: actually chicken.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

fizzymercury posted:

Why do you hate whimsy?

Whimsy is good! There's all sorts of fun wordplay that would be more whimsical than "vegan rib".

Truth in labeling is an important consumer protection though.

AreWeDrunkYet has a new favorite as of 23:39 on Mar 4, 2021

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Whimsy is good! There's all sorts of fun wordplay that would be more whimsical than "vegan rib".

May I propose "vegetarib".

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Samovar posted:

No - since it's vegan, it's more like 'so long, pig'.

Human meat can be vegan if you get permission.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

KataraniSword posted:

May I propose "vegetarib".

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

nobody is mad

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

hawowanlawow posted:

nobody is mad

Speak for your loving self, goddam, I am livid

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Truth in labeling is an important consumer protection though.

I gotta know what the hell else someone is supposed to think a vegan rib is. You've baffled me.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I can't believe it's not pork(tm)

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

The Bloop posted:

Even their supervillains are better

You owe it to yourself to check out Imbattable (Mr. Invincible in the English release). He is the Frenchest superhero you have ever seen, and his book is a work of art.

Sample fanlation:

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

ever since my dad's second wife became vegan "except for pork ribs a couple of times a month" i just roll my eyes at vegan food that's trying to pass itself off as not being a sad, pale imitation of what it actually could be :tipshat:

do you, eat lentils or whatever, you ain't gotta put on airs

Yellow Yoshi
Apr 29, 2020

Figure 1: Mario's weird dog

boar guy posted:

its not lentils its vegan popcorn chicken

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

boar guy posted:

ever since my dad's second wife became vegan "except for pork ribs a couple of times a month" i just roll my eyes at vegan food that's trying to pass itself off as not being a sad, pale imitation of what it actually could be :tipshat:

If you've never eaten vegetarian/vegan you might not get it but

We kinda know that these things aren't equivalent to the real deal. They're a stopgap because sometimes you're craving the thing but you have moral or religious or environmental or whatever reasons for not eating it, so you eat the poor substitute. We get it. You don't have to try and own us. I'll admit, sometimes I'll have a lovely frozen veggie burger because, when combined with the bun and cheese and toppings and all that, it's fine enough to hit that craving. I know it's not equivalent to a real beef burger. The crap patty is just good enough when combined with the rest of the burger components.

Also if someone gets drunk and eats chicken wings or whatever, you can just shrug and move on instead of having to point out the hypocritical idiot vegan.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

vegan hot dogs ain't bad

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

"ribs" in particular are weird. like you said, if you had a religious or moral objection to eating meat, why would you call your vegan substitute the same thing you're trying to get away from? ribs are full of greasy delicious carcinogenic fat and muscle. it's the opposite of vegan *shrug*

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Because you probably have eaten meat before and aren't pretending that it doesn't taste good

Particularly with poo poo like burgers and dogs and ribs where there's a huge component of the overall flavour that isn't coming from the meat

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Because you probably have eaten meat before and aren't pretending that it doesn't taste good

fair enough. i had a buddy that was vegan back in like 2003 and 2004 and he got so frustrated that he just carried a thing of ramen noodles everywhere, because vegans weren't really a thing and restaurants had no idea how to serve them. he hated going out to eat

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

In college in the 90s there was a posted flyer for some event that mentioned there would be food provided including options for "vegetarians and vegans". I thought it was a joke about people from Vega

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

boar guy posted:

"ribs" in particular are weird. like you said, if you had a religious or moral objection to eating meat, why would you call your vegan substitute the same thing you're trying to get away from? ribs are full of greasy delicious carcinogenic fat and muscle. it's the opposite of vegan *shrug*

If rib can be co-opted by McDonalds to mean 'vaguely rib shaped thing, the composition of which is questionable' then vegans can also co-opt it, it hurts no-one.

There's the meat 'replacement' aspect that some people seem to get upset about, but I think the much more common usage of terms like 'sausage', 'burger' and 'steak', and the vegan rib in this case, is just to describe the general shape and intended preparation of the dish. I was vegetarian for the first 20 or so years of my life and I never once thought that a veggie burger was intending to be a facsimile of beef or anything, merely it was just a round shaped thing that could be grilled and served with all the other burger accoutrements. Ditto everything else, which is why it really grinds my gears that in the EU at the moment the meat and dairy industry (presumably worried about the fast growing vegan/vegetarian market) are trying (very successfully) to ban them from using any of those terms if the content isn't explicitly animal derived, which is loving stupid imo, especially as traditional sausages exist that have never been made from meat.

I think manufacturers of non-dairy alternatives haven't been allowed to call themselves 'oat milk' or 'vegan cheese' for a few years, which is one level that you could argue either way (again I'd point out the existence of coconut milk and how no-one seems to get upset about that, because they understand that customers are able to read words and differentiate meanings from them), but now they're going even further and pushing for a ban on any kind of descriptors such as 'yoghurt-style', 'cheese-alternative', as well as mandating that the packaging also can't resemble dairy products. So oat milk wouldn't be allowed to be sold in cartons, plastic bottles, or you know, literally any of the sensible and numerous ways that milk is also packaged. At this point it's like are you even pretending that you're protecting some imaginary dumbass consumer who isn't able to read and understand basic words on a packet, as opposed to trying to handicap a fast-growing competitor?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
livestock operators are rural, veg milk peeps are urban, rurals get 20 votes to the urbans 1 in the american senate and something less extreme but still unbalanced in the eu

expect a ban or ruinous taxation or something from republicans and eurochuds

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I'm genrally against passing vegetarian or vegan foods off as meat but on the other hand it's kind of silly to take offense at "vegan ribs" and not the McRib. Both are made from some kind of unholy protein slurry and pressed into a patty shaped to vaguely resemble pork ribs.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The EU also has AOCs and equivalents. On the one hand, it makes sense. I like supporting historic traditional producers of the original thing, and they should have the right to make clear that they are the original true producers of the wine or cheese or oil or sausage or whatever they make. On the other, I kinda like that in the US and Canada I can get "parmesan-style cheese product" for a dollar because I'm broke but I want something somewhat akin to the taste of parmesan on my barilla and canned sauce even if fifteen italian boomers insist that isn't parmesan at all.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

hawowanlawow posted:

vegan hot dogs ain't bad

I've had a decent number of vegan baked goods that were better than their non-vegan counterparts

Still need to find the brand of a lemon poppyseed cookie I had years ago that was the best lemon poppyseed cookie I'd ever tasted. No fuckin idea how it was so light and fluffy

The impossible meat or whatever is also indistinguishable from meat imo if it's in like, a meatball or in a pasta. Good poo poo

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Johnny Truant posted:

I've had a decent number of vegan baked goods that were better than their non-vegan counterparts

Still need to find the brand of a lemon poppyseed cookie I had years ago that was the best lemon poppyseed cookie I'd ever tasted. No fuckin idea how it was so light and fluffy

The impossible meat or whatever is also indistinguishable from meat imo if it's in like, a meatball or in a pasta. Good poo poo

Alternative Baking Company's are really yummy and if they're not the right cookie they're my favorite anyway and you should get some on amazon.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Has anybody tried making re-usable "animal bones" out of oven safe ceramic? I smell a potential market. I found a couple people on Reddit who made vegan ribs using maplewood and clay, but I'm imagining something you can put in the dishwasher. Or like a whole chicken skeleton or something. Most of the purchases would probably be made by passive aggressive family members, though.

I eat vegetarian a lot, but it's mostly driven by my unwillingness to wash an additional cutting board.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
A vegan friend had me and my partner over for dinner once, she cooked a vegan pot au feu with seitan and it was delicious. She had made a cashew brie-alike for appetizers as well, which was good although plainly not brie. I think she's just a good cook though.

Crap I owe them a dinner when this is all over.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Samovar posted:

No - since it's vegan, it's more like 'so looooong, looooong pig'.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

People should eat whatever they want, and veganism/vegetarianism should be encouraged as a social good. Almost everyone should be eating less meat both for their health and the environment in general.

But can we not call things what they aren't? Just be honest about what you're eating.

AreWeDrunkYet has a new favorite as of 02:09 on Mar 5, 2021

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Nameless Pete posted:

I eat vegetarian a lot, but it's mostly driven by my unwillingness to wash an additional cutting board.

Why would you need to do that? If everything's being stewed or something you don't have to care, if it isn't then just cut the meat after you've finished the vegetables. Easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

People should eat whatever they want, and veganism/vegetarianism should be encouraged as a social good. Almost everyone should be eating less meat both for their health and the environment in general.

But can we not call things what they aren't? Just be honest about what you're eating.

Yeah that's why the package of vegan chik'n patties doesn't say "CHICKEN" on it, you fuckin' dunce. There are already pretty thorough laws on this in the US. What you're complaining about is something someone made at home, not a commercially-sold product. They can call it whatever the gently caress they want. They know they're not eating ribs and so do you.