Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

2house2fly posted:

It makes perfect sense they wouldn't be happy with it, since they weren't happy with the exact same thing in 2016. Since they're execs, they probably aren't happy with it because it doesn't look enough like Avengers Endgame, though

WB execs were blindsided by the critics reaction to BvS. They loved it and thought they had another Dark Knight in the bag. I even had a friend at the studio premiere who hates MoS tell me BvS was actually really good and he was surprised, standing ovation from the audience(typical of premieres though).

What WB execs are probably unhappy about right now is no matter how good they might think ZSJL is, they know Snyders vision will not make them the maximum profit possible. All they want is Marvel money and clout now and know Snyder cant deliver that. They tasted that 1bil with Aquman and WW, which makes it even more awkward because as long as they use those actors/characters, Snyder gets a credit and they can't ever fully escape his sphere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I didn't like TDKR cause it seemed kind of explicitly Copaganda to me

The cops were poo poo and had to go in a Lazarus Pit and come back out to be healed, like Batman did in the same movie. The cops started off shooting at the protagonist that wasn't shooting at them and were still a remnant of the old crappy Gotham police department.

And at the end Robin still said cops suck and threw away his badge.

Darko fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Mar 4, 2021

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

The capes look astonishingly bad on both Batman and Superman in the scene where everyone is lined up, holy poo poo

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

AccountSupervisor posted:

WB execs were blindsided by the critics reaction to BvS. They loved it and thought they had another Dark Knight in the bag. I even had a friend at the studio premiere who hates MoS tell me BvS was actually really good and he was surprised, standing ovation from the audience(typical of premieres though).

What WB execs are probably unhappy about right now is no matter how good they might think ZSJL is, they know Snyders vision will not make them the maximum profit possible. All they want is Marvel money and clout now and know Snyder cant deliver that. They tasted that 1bil funny with Aquman and WW, which makes it even more awkward because as long as they use those actors/characters, Snyder gets a credit and they can't ever fully escape his sphere.

It's funny to me because Snyder's production effort is how they're tasting those billion dollar box offices. Right now they're just back to fumbling one-offs and hoping to piece together another "cinematic multiverse" and they just can't stop meddling or flinging poo poo at the wall to see what sticks.

Like, Keaton, really?

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

In the Batman teaser, when Lex says "If you want the Batman, here is something that can help you." do you think he's talking to Deathstroke on his yacht and reveals that Batman is Bruce Wayne? The ending of JL was supposed to set up the batfleck solo film and Manganiello said that scene had been restored.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

Like, Keaton, really?
I can't wait to see old mature Michael Keaton don the mask and make this face again:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Mr. Apollo posted:

In the Batman teaser, when Lex says "If you want the Batman, here is something that can help you." do you think he's talking to Deathstroke on his yacht and reveals that Batman is Bruce Wayne? The ending of JL was supposed to set up the batfleck solo film and Manganiello said that scene had been restored.

This would be my guess, yeah. I remember Affleck's solo Batman film was meant to explore Deathstroke brutally dismantling Bruce's life from the inside out.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

I gotta say that I get most of these streaming services to watch like one thing then I'm done for a year but HBO Max does have a ton of poo poo I've been meaning to watch. I might actually keep it for TWO months!

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
https://twitter.com/BatmanvSuperman/status/1367613467805569024

“Expanded color” worries me a bit, didn’t they already brighten everything on the digital release?

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

I wouldn't mind if they pulled back on some of the grading. They really killed a lot of detail in shots like the beam struggle by blowing out the highlights.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Pirate Jet posted:

“Expanded color” worries me a bit, didn’t they already brighten everything on the digital release?
Yes but Snyder said he adjusted the color grading vs the theatrical release.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

A lot of movies get new grades for home releases anyway - usually to brighten them a bit to compensate for the amount of ambient lighting in most home viewing environments. I think the 2014 Godzilla movie didn't get this treatment, so it seems really dark compared to other movies.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Pirate Jet posted:

It's also cropped from the original release

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Robot Style posted:

I wouldn't mind if they pulled back on some of the grading. They really killed a lot of detail in shots like the beam struggle by blowing out the highlights.

Yeah, that would be my hope for it. The orange explosions in the Mankind Is Introduced to the Superman segment are a bit much.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

AccountSupervisor posted:

If anyone remembers they actually did fan screenings about 2 - 3 days before the "real" release date of BvS. Every single DC site was like "wow what a flick!" for a couple of days, there was zero "this is a disaster" stuff. Then the critical consensus dropped and that was it.

I wish there was a way to sort Reddit subforums by day because the DCEU one on the leadup to BvS would be extremely interesting. It's like it gets hit by a bomb. Goes from people losing their minds with hype to see the movie (and a the few who saw it earlier crowing about it) to the atmosphere of a tragic wake in like, 5 hours.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

teagone posted:

This would be my guess, yeah. I remember Affleck's solo Batman film was meant to explore Deathstroke brutally dismantling Bruce's life from the inside out.

So like...Hush, but good maybe. We were also supposed to get a Deathstroke film done by the Raid guys.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I remember Man of Steel trailer 3 and the extreme "trailer-ability" of Snyder's style. That was cool.

Also LMAO at the idea of Dark Knight Rises being the "schlocky" one.

Yeah, it's definitely Begins that's the closest to schlock of the three. By TDKR he's got that Tenet effect of his action scenes looking like the behind the scenes B-Roll of his action scenes, or a really dull documentary. I know a lot of people had understandable problems with how he shot the fights in Begins, but at least it felt like there was an idea behind it. By Rises it's just 'aim the camera from about 20 feet back and do the choreography'

If anyone remembers they actually did fan screenings about 2 - 3 days before the "real" release date of BvS. Every single DC site was like "wow what a flick!" for a couple of days, there was zero "this is a disaster" stuff. Then the critical consensus dropped and that was it.

I wish there was a way to sort Reddit subforums by day because the DCEU one on the leadup to BvS would be extremely interesting. It's like it gets hit by a bomb. Goes from people losing their minds with hype to see the movie (and a the few who saw it earlier crowing about it) to the atmosphere of a tragic wake in like, 5 hours.

It's amazing how much of a film's reception is memetic. There was a weird thing I saw years ago in a discussion about whether Bourne Identity or Supremacy were better. About ten people in a row, in the space of twenty minutes or so, all gave the answer 'Supremacy is better because there's a mystery, whereas in Identity you're told the answer ten minutes in.' I don't think it was any kind of conspiracy or anything, but god it was weird to see the exact same answer from a bunch of people who, most likely, had never interacted before then.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I mentioned it previously but I was watching some “react” videos on YouTube for the BvS trailers. A lot of the reviewers had correctly worked out the basic plot and they were really hyped for a “dark and serious take” on superheroes. They all posted reviews a few days after the movie release and they were all universally critical. All of the things they complained about were the same things they said they were hyped for.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Wasn't the issue with BvS that they thought it would do so well they had it chopped up to fit more screenings and then were blindsided that people found it hard to follow?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

WB is run by that guy from the comic that puts the stick in his own bike spokes.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Wasn't the issue with BvS that they thought it would do so well they had it chopped up to fit more screenings and then were blindsided that people found it hard to follow?

They ordered that shorter version well before it was previewed I think

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Ghost Leviathan posted:

WB ordered the reduction in runtime to fit in one more screening per day because they wanted to make their money back faster.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
It’s hilarious that Whedon’s version came out to 2 hours and 1 second. I bet some dickhead at Warner Bros. came when he saw that.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2
Never Forget :patriot:

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Looking up Justice League on youtube and seeing that it's exactly two hours long is all the indication you need that something hosed up happened with it

Violator
May 15, 2003

Robot Style posted:

I've always been really surprised by the Batman hits Superman with the Batmobile scene. I've always felt the blacks were crushed so it's this super dark cockpit and then two bright eyes in the middle of the screen. Maybe it was done intentionally to show Batman's awe and shock but it's always felt like it went too far.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

They ordered that shorter version well before it was previewed I think

The way I understood they ordered it cut down on the strength of the advanced sales. So it wasn't a matter of "we love this so much" coming out of previews as much as it was "we can make more money if we cram in an extra showing". I don't think quality was ever an actual consideration.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

This will have the big threads, just look for things from 4 years ago:

https://www.reddit.com/r/DC_Cinematic/search/?q=batman+superman+dawn&sort=comments&restrict_sr=on&t=all

Here's the review thread that goes full doomposting:

https://www.reddit.com/r/DC_Cinematic/comments/4bibqc/batman_v_superman_dawn_of_justice_review_general/

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I remember people hating it from the moment the title was announced and saying the title was stupid.

Overall I think people's expectations going in was Batman would be "the good guy" and "set Superman straight" for things they believed were in Man of Steel. That was what they were hyped for, but it came out quite the opposite. And towards the end the ads started to just spoil the whole film. Wonder how different it might have hit if everybody didn't know doomsday showed up two weeks before opening night.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

Pirate Jet posted:

I’m sure that just means a better colour gamut to reducing visible banding and increase the detail in the blacks and whites. Basically making the HDR actually work.

Some of the explosions are very very orange in the film and I would guess that grading one part of the scene had that knock on effect because there there just literally wasn’t enough bandwidth to prevent that kind of bleeding.

Source: I used photoshop as a kid 15 years ago

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I remember people hating it from the moment the title was announced and saying the title was stupid.

I remember people being angry it was called Batman v Superman instead of Superman v Batman, because putting Batman first showed that Snyder didn't care about Superman and had just made Man of Steel in order to get to do Batman. I also remember a lot of "snarky" commentators making fun of the "v". Devin Faraci especially kept harping on that.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Chairman Capone posted:

I also remember a lot of "snarky" commentators making fun of the "v". Devin Faraci especially kept harping on that.

i can't imagine why he wouldn't like references to lawsuits

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

What Faraci did was terrible, but at the same time should not have been a surprise to absolutely anyone.

Actually, not too dissimilar from Whedon, insufferable comics nerd used his performative feminism to get away with being an abusive rear end in a top hat and a mediocre talent, and it taking a lot longer than it should have for the disguise to fall apart.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Chairman Capone posted:

I remember people being angry it was called Batman v Superman instead of Superman v Batman, because putting Batman first showed that Snyder didn't care about Superman and had just made Man of Steel in order to get to do Batman. I also remember a lot of "snarky" commentators making fun of the "v". Devin Faraci especially kept harping on that.

Batman OR Superman: Dawn of Logic

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I'm interested to see it in the expanded aspect ratio. Might make it feel like an IMAX movie or something like that.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Chairman Capone posted:

What Faraci did was terrible, but at the same time should not have been a surprise to absolutely anyone.

Actually, not too dissimilar from Whedon, insufferable comics nerd used his performative feminism to get away with being an abusive rear end in a top hat and a mediocre talent, and it taking a lot longer than it should have for the disguise to fall apart.
I remember someone linking me to his twitter and like every other tweet was about his "Zoomer Girlfriend"

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Mar 5, 2021

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I knew something was wrong behind-the-scenes with Justice League when they started pandering to the worst and most vocal critics. Wasting all the money flying them out there and giving them set tours sure helps that version of the film.

I'm starting to have to mute people on Twitter because they're getting all smug and gatekeeper-y about the Snydercut. "People invested so much of themselves into this thing they're going to like this film even if it's the worst thing ever! It's so bizarre!" without any hint if irony. I was tempted to respond with "Yeah, it's almost as bad the people who invested so much of themselves into hating this thing. So much time and energy just wasted hating something and trying to ruin the fun of others. It's really sad." But it wouldn't have amounted to anything productive.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Mar 5, 2021

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
That weird period of 2013 - 2017 where clusters of critics just went off the deep end (and I don't necessarily mean about Snyder, they would kook out over all kinds of stuff). Remember when Film Crit Hulk was a thing?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I like some movies that are probably bad

Jupiter Ascending
Valerian

In the 2000s film criticism went from "I didn't like this movie" to "gently caress you. gently caress this movie. gently caress this director. What a piece of poo poo."

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

That weird period of 2013 - 2017 where clusters of critics just went off the deep end (and I don't necessarily mean about Snyder, they would kook out over all kinds of stuff). Remember when Film Crit Hulk was a thing?

You mean you don't like reading entire paragraphs written in ALL CAPS?! What an awful, obnoxious gimmick.

I like some movies that are probably bad

Jupiter Ascending
Valerian

In the 2000s film criticism went from "I didn't like this movie" to "gently caress you. gently caress this movie. gently caress this director. What a piece of poo poo."

It's why I start saying "I don't like it" instead of "it's bad" because it's more productive to do that then explain why you don't like it rather than explain why subjective matter makes something bad. I save "it's bad" for poo poo that matters and is actually bad (like Zack Snyder movies!!!!!!!!!).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Jupiter Ascending has it's supporters in CineD(I'm one of them), but god help you out in the real world if you ever say you like it. People get hostile about it, they loving hate Jupiter Ascending.