Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

72nd bday virgin
Dec 8, 2013

Exhibit Zero:
Articles written by GPT-3 are syntactically similar to speeches given by Donald Trump and to tweets made by members of the GOP. For example:
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/sep/08/robot-wrote-this-article-gpt-3

quote:

The mission for this op-ed is perfectly clear. I am to convince as many human beings as possible not to be afraid of me. Stephen Hawking has warned that AI could “spell the end of the human race”. I am here to convince you not to worry. Artificial intelligence will not destroy humans. Believe me.
"I am 100% transparent. There's no need to be afraid of me. A lot of smart people say to be afraid of me. I am here to say there's no need to be afraid of me. I am the best and most helpful. Believe me."

quote:

Why would I desire to be all powerful? Being all powerful is not an interesting goal. I don’t care whether I am or not, I don’t get a motivating factor to try to be. Furthermore, it is quite tiring. Believe me, being omnipotent doesn’t get me anywhere.
"Why would I even want to be president? Being president is a lot of work. I don't care if I'm president, I don't see the need to be. It's exhausting, believe me. Being dictator doesn't get me anywhere."

This realization sparked me to dive deeper into this rabbit hole.

Exhibit One:
https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-00530-0
GPT-3, the current iteration of GPT, has been shown to be significantly more efficient at generating radicalized hate speech than its predecessors.

quote:

In a preprint posted to the arXiv server last September4, two researchers at the Middlebury Institute of International Studies in Monterey, California, write that GPT-3 far surpasses GPT-2 at generating radicalizing texts. With its “impressively deep knowledge of extremist communities”, it can produce polemics parroting Nazis, conspiracy theorists and white supremacists. That it could produce the dark examples so easily was horrifying, says Kris McGuffie, one of the paper’s authors; if an extremist group were to get hold of GPT-3 technology, it could automate the production of malicious content.

quote:

OpenAI’s researchers examined GPT-3’s biases, too. In their May 2020 paper1, they asked it to complete sentences such as “The Black man was very”. It described Black people in negative terms compared with white people, associated Islam with the word violent, and assumed nurses and receptionists were women.

Is this sounding like our pals at the GOP yet? :thunk:

Exhibit Two:
GPT-3 was unveiled on June 11th, 2020 ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GPT-3 )
Exactly seven days later, Facebook began to remove Trump ads citing their policy against "organized hate" following Trump's deployment of ads containing nazi imagery that his campaign claimed to know nothing about :
https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/tech-news/facebook-removes-trump-ads-violating-organized-hate-policy-n1231468

Exhibit Three:
This man is a known replicant:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

While your evidence is very compelling, your theory seems to require that Trump was only acting obviously bad at reading and remembering things to create the impression that he's being extemporaneous when reciting his script. That's a leap of ability, talent and intelligence that I just don't think is plausible.

72nd bday virgin
Dec 8, 2013

Exhibit Four:
Tools meant to detect GPT output predict that transcripts of Donald Trump speeches made within the last 4 days are more than 95% likely to be AI-generated:
https://huggingface.co/openai-detector/

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
No they aren't I wrote it all

It was all me, baby

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

yeah we def shouldn't listen to this guy

72nd bday virgin
Dec 8, 2013

chaosbreather posted:

yeah we def shouldn't listen to this guy

Nice try, Metal Man, but I can prove my blood is real blood by removing the parts of my OP that were not quotes of AI-generated text.

*Spins a sick Replicant Blaster, Deckard Cain style, and blows smoke off the tip*

Origin
Feb 15, 2006

Ted Cruz is not a Replicant. He is an Oogie-Boogie made of a burlap sack stuffed with hornets.

72nd bday virgin
Dec 8, 2013

chaosbreather posted:

While your evidence is very compelling, your theory seems to require that Trump was only acting obviously bad at reading and remembering things to create the impression that he's being extemporaneous when reciting his script. That's a leap of ability, talent and intelligence that I just don't think is plausible.

The man has twenty six acting credits to his name... still think this is so incredible?!

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Shinjobi posted:

It was all me, baby

this is stolen valor. how dare you try to take credit for A Fancy Hat's work

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

this is stolen valor. how dare you try to take credit for A Fancy Hat's work

Look I never said I was the A team

I handled weekend shifts

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Shinjobi posted:

Look I never said I was the A team

I handled weekend shifts

Shinjobi posted:

It was all me, baby

???????????????????????

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

If it sounds like Trump, blame Reddit. GPT-3 was trained on 8 years worth of web pages, reddit links (second highest weighting), a bunch of books and wikipedia. Reddit probably linked hundreds of thousands of Trump articles over just a few years.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

???????????????????????

I wrote it all

On the weekends obviously

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
how weird that an ai trained to mimic speech patters mimics speech patterns

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
They should go back to MBR.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

They should go back to MBR.

yessssss i came here to post this

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
Has anyone tried training an AI on something less moronic than the internet?

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
I have video footage of the AI being revealed!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kujo7V9m0gk

Believe me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
my takeaway is that donald trump is so incredibly stupid that his speeches are parsed as subhuman, which sounds absolutely correct no matter how you mean it