Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

SkyeAuroline posted:

One day manufacturers will remember fans can go on the side panel.

One day.

No side panels are just for glass so you can show off your rgb SSD and etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Humerus posted:

No side panels are just for glass so you can show off your rgb SSD and etc

yes, this is correct (I壇 love to see higher quality mesh and perforated glass/acrylic paneling make its way to the pc space)

Parachute
May 18, 2003

SEKCobra posted:

Your PSA is useless for when there is a flood and only the things at table height or above survive.

Its also useless in a fire you "well actually" child

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Ok Comboomer posted:

yes, this is correct (I’d love to see higher quality mesh and perforated glass/acrylic paneling make its way to the pc space)

While I did make that comment mostly joking, my previous computer was built with a 200mm fan in the side specifically to exhaust the GPU heat (while the CPU did its normal thing of venting out the back with the total of 3 140mms pushing air). Unsurprisingly, it ran cooler than my current one despite the current one retaining the same GPU. Who could have guessed that a tempered glass panel wouldn't help a GPU with fans pointed down and away from all of the vents in the case to circulate air?

My contribution to the thread. Hand towel is a recent addition so I can keep an ice pack for my injured wrist handy without damaging the desk top from moisture.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

SkyeAuroline posted:

One day manufacturers will remember fans can go on the side panel.

One day.

Corsair ripped off lian li side intake with their new 5000 series case.

Top exhaust is here to stay with AIOs as popular as they are.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

spunkshui posted:

Corsair ripped off lian li side intake with their new 5000 series case.

Top exhaust is here to stay with AIOs as popular as they are.

...who the hell came up with right-side intakes? About the worst placement I can think of for one (and more intake with even less exhaust is the last thing the average PC needs...). Ah well. Looks pretty bad and the vertical mount GPU just makes the issue worse, but I'm sure they'll sell boatloads because Corsair. Used to be quality hardware, at least.
I still won't use a water cooling setup so I'm not the target audience for PC parts any more, I guess.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

are there any large cases that separate the GPU from the CPU/mobo thermally?
my dream is a small case for the CPU and an eGPU enclosure (connected via PCIe directly)

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

shrike82 posted:

are there any large cases that separate the GPU from the CPU/mobo thermally?
my dream is a small case for the CPU and an eGPU enclosure (connected via PCIe directly)

Get whatever case you want and water cool your CPU?

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Here, here's my desk. I moved recently-ish.

I took this monitor from work. It's a little too big IMO. It's 29" 21:9. I have a 25" 21:9 monitor I bought a few years ago I might change it out with!! Or see if my work will give me a new laptop with USB-C and buy a new monitor that doubles as a dock.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Nitrousoxide posted:

Get whatever case you want and water cool your CPU?

it is and i wish i could watercool my GPU instead

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

SkyeAuroline posted:

...who the hell came up with right-side intakes? About the worst placement I can think of for one (and more intake with even less exhaust is the last thing the average PC needs...). Ah well. Looks pretty bad and the vertical mount GPU just makes the issue worse, but I'm sure they'll sell boatloads because Corsair. Used to be quality hardware, at least.
I still won't use a water cooling setup so I'm not the target audience for PC parts any more, I guess.

You want less intake then exhaust? Why?

If you have more intake then exhaust then the case will have positive pressure which prevents dust from being pulled in where filters are missing. (like pci slots)

The case has 6 fans in and 4 fans out. Seems great to me.

You don't need to vertically mount the GPU. Its not required in any way.

Are we looking at the same case?

https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-5000...962037350&psc=1

Gamers Nexus rather liked it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lU_qa49gHzw

spunkshui fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Mar 1, 2021

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

spunkshui posted:

You want less intake then exhaust? Why?

If you have more intake then exhaust then the case will have positive pressure which prevents dust from being pulled in where filters are missing. (like pci slots)

The case has 6 fans in and 4 fans out. Seems great to me.

You don't need to vertically mount the GPU. Its not required in any way.

Are we looking at the same case?

https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-5000...962037350&psc=1

Gamers Nexus rather liked it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lU_qa49gHzw

Yeah, I misread their description on their site and got the fan ratio off, and their site makes a big deal of the "vertical GPU mounting" with exclusively photos of vertical mounting in all the publicity shots. (Though I did get it right reading "10 120mm fans or 4 140mm fans", and I'd have to deeply question anyone who chose the latter.) It's still pretty close to the opposite of my interest in hardware but it's less dumb than my mistaken first read indicated.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

My thermaltake core case has grilled sides all over except for one, which is plexiglass. You can swap the sides around as you like.

My GPU just sits next to one of the external grills and vents directly out of the case.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Thermaltake The Tower 900: https://www.thermaltake.com/the-tower-900-snow-edition.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zo-WzsdfCR0

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

shrike82 posted:

it is and i wish i could watercool my GPU instead

Here's my post from another thread for inspiration:

Coredump posted:

I know this is late but in case this helps you or anyone else with a Meshify C. I've got the blue panel and the green as well. I have 2 140MM LL fans from Corsair and a total 3 120MM LL fans from Corsair as well but I'm only using 2 at the moment.

Cooling setup is Noctua Chromax aircooler on CPU with the Chromax fan replaced with Corsair 120MM LL fan. Rear Exhaust fan is 120MM LL as well. The 2 tops fans are the 140MM fans that have lived up front in the past. In the front I have a EK-MLC Phoenix 240 Radiator attached to my GPU that I love. It has two 120MM fans that would be a pain to swap so the front is no longer rave light show which makes me a little sad but I'm cool with it.

The idea is my 2700x CPU is a 105w heat maker where as my 1080ti is rated for 250w of heat. I figure if something is going to be liquid cooled its going be the GPU. And the CPU puts out so little heat it should be fine on air cooling. The other thought being GPU coolers are notoriously loud when they spin up versus CPU tower coolers.

The neat thing about the Phoenix radiator is that it has a little fan speed control board where you plug one fan lead into a fan header on your motherboard and the 2 fans on the radiator will respond to that fan curve. And pump too maybe I'd have to check again.

With my Asus motherboard (x470 prime) it has a header on the motherboard for temperature input. Thermal sensor connector 2 pin T_connector is what its referred to in the manual. I used this $10 sensor XSPC Wire Sensor 10K on Amazon. I was able to slip that probe between the copper Phoenix cold plate and GPU and then use the temp readings from that sensor to control chassis fan header 3 on my motherboard which goes to my radiator. So my radiator fans rise and fall in demand to my GPU temp. I double checked the temps of the probe with MSI afterburner and its dead on. GPU rarely gets above 55c. I don't care what my CPU does as I know its not getting close to 55c with what I do. I don't even bother to monitor its temp.

Now my fan setup is the not the optimal solution possible with this case but its honestly good enough that I'm not changing anything. In other words I could flip some fan directions and get better temps but my temps are good enough that I want to see the lights.

What the means is in my pics any time you see the lights visible on the fansair is heading towards the lights out the back of the fan. So 2 120MM fans intake from the front. That air is warmed by my GPU but during day to day stuff when the GPU isn't doing much the heat gain is minimum. Just fired up MSI as I was typing this and it says my GPU is 27C so yeah I don't think the air is getting heated up that much to really make a difference. That's 80 degree F and my room is 71-72F right now.

Then from there the air is exhausted out the top. I'm fired up HWINFO just to check what my CPU is doing and its at 40C. To me that's fine and I don't care what my CPU does until it gets to 50C. Then my fan at the back is also exhausting.

My preferred setup would be radiator at top, intake from the front, intake from the rear, exhaust out the top through the radiator. That way I'm getting fresh cool air from 2 sources and its goes out the top aided by heat rise. But I can't fit my rad/fan combo up top, its too big. I don't want to flip my rear fan around because pretty lights. And honestly my temps are great for what I'm aiming for. Hope this gives anyone with a Meshify C some things to think about and consider. My waterblock is a Phoenix waterblock but at this point I'm waiting for the Asus EKWB 3080 and then I'll just get fittings necessary to get it to plug into my current system. I've got a SUGO 14 I'm planning on cooling CPU and GPU with a Phoenix 240MM rad too.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Woot, Ikea got some stock in of the oak veneer butcher blocks and it was $50 cheaper than their walnut and $60 cheaper than solid acacia - since it's just for a computer desk that will be worth it!

The MDF board this uses as it's core is pretty strong - up to 1,200 lbs of pressure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jESD2-lv-M

Solid wood is 2000+ as this video shows but... im not that fat. :3:

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Verisimilidude posted:

Been slowly working on my office since we moved to this house back in September. I need some shelves for the walls for paint supplies and to get some of these storage boxes out from underneath me, but otherwise I love my space. Significantly better than back when I was stuck in the living room of my old apartment.

I see you airbrushing figurines. OK, what's that vent setup because I don't have a garage...

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

SkyeAuroline posted:

My contribution to the thread. Hand towel is a recent addition so I can keep an ice pack for my injured wrist handy without damaging the desk top from moisture.

Ok man whatever you say. I'm not here to judge.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Wasabi the J posted:

Ok man whatever you say. I'm not here to judge.

What else am I going to use it for? (Seriously though - whoever made this ice pack, no manufacturer label, but Jesus. 2 or 3 pounds of ice, stays cold enough for PT use for 4+ hours at room temperature. Gotta find more of these.)

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
yeah sure no, i get it.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
got tired of having the pc in my office at home just sit on the floor along with all the cables, so I fabricated a small shelf to hold it and used excessive amounts of Velcro to make everything tidy.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I see you airbrushing figurines. OK, what's that vent setup because I don't have a garage...

I picked up this spray booth from Amazon for $100. It works decently well and it has lights built in. Not sure how effective the hose and fan are at actually siphoning off excess spray but it's relatively small and the lights inside are solid. The room will still smell a bit like spray after the fact but I don't think that can be avoided. It's a bit loud but no louder than the compressor.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?

devmd01 posted:

got tired of having the pc in my office at home just sit on the floor along with all the cables, so I fabricated a small shelf to hold it and used excessive amounts of Velcro to make everything tidy.

Um, they sell proper mounts for pretty much every small form factor PC. My M1 is mounted right under my desk in a mount I bought on Amazon.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Please, I had everything already on hand. I知 not gonna spend $35+ on a mount when I can make it myself.

Then again, I realize who I am responding to.

.random
May 7, 2007

I, for one, appreciate unnecessary amounts of Velcro. I知 actually really trying to understand the anatomy of your desk from the under-desk perspective, but I am being defeated. What is the lighter wood situation?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

.random posted:

I, for one, appreciate unnecessary amounts of Velcro. I知 actually really trying to understand the anatomy of your desk from the under-desk perspective, but I am being defeated. What is the lighter wood situation?

You mean the window frame and the skirting board?

.random
May 7, 2007

3D Megadoodoo posted:

You mean the window frame and the skirting board?

Ah, no. I meant the triangular shape at the top of the photo. Presumably part of the underside of the desk in some fashion but I知 not sure how.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

.random posted:

Ah, no. I meant the triangular shape at the top of the photo. Presumably part of the underside of the desk in some fashion but I知 not sure how.

Looks like a frame for a slide-out keyboard tray.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Got some new keycaps and a wallpaper to match, and a signed mousemat

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

The RG Eva better either be offscreen or in that case.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Zedd posted:

The RG Eva better either be offscreen or in that case.

It got damaged when I moved :(

I'm constantly tempted to buy this to replace it though:
https://www.yourwobb.com/products/18k-k124-eva-01-test-type-evangelion-1

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Oh man I miss old 90's - 00's pc case mod culture, you would see incredibly singular themed builds all the time. I wanted to make an ammo can lan party machine so bad but had literally no money or skills as a teen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPopBmswQJU

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

It's not too late to build one :v:

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Wasabi the J posted:

Oh man I miss old 90's - 00's pc case mod culture, you would see incredibly singular themed builds all the time. I wanted to make an ammo can lan party machine so bad but had literally no money or skills as a teen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPopBmswQJU

I was obsessed with the idea of instead of going silent with pc build just use a fan I like the noise of, aka a box fan or something. The idea would be to use a downdraft cpu cooler and a big heatsink on the gpu and then one side of the case would be just a big fan.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Where do I get the lego tofu machine.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Ziploc posted:

Where do I get the lego tofu machine.

https://aliexpress.com/item/1005001...63bc5c51&is_c=N

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Wibla posted:

It's not too late to build one :v:

I missed a chance to buy a computer for a very good deal and now GPU market is hosed up.

My x79 motherboard caught fire a while back. Been PC less since.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Wasabi the J posted:

I missed a chance to buy a computer for a very good deal and now GPU market is hosed up.

My x79 motherboard caught fire a while back. Been PC less since.

I *almost* bought a 1650 when they were still available for a fair price

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I literally walked away from a cyberpower pc at the pawn shop that had a 2080 inside.

For $800 on the tag. I needed to think about it and it was gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muskrat
Aug 16, 2004
Work laptop on the left. Americano in the cup. Recently switched to wireless mouse and nerded out by adding the Firefly V2 mouse mat (why not?). Also added the RGB backlighting a few months ago.