Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Bhodi posted:

This was my take of the entire bobiverse series.

There's some cool ideas, none of which are explored. There's so much meat around "Clones developing in different directions", "What happens when clones change so much they're on opposite sides of an issue", and "Are stripped down intelligences for custom/menial tasks still valid, human, or ethical" - I'd even have taken exploration of pros/cons of active duplication versus short term defense, but all the topics get just passing mention.

Also, hard pass on every "natives" chapter.

It's just incredibly bizarre what the author finds interesting. He casually glosses over interesting stuff, like.. the sandbox bob, and the stuff you said, in favor of the god-awful tribal sections. And he just makes them reskinned humans! They're not even interesting aliens! I'm so mad.

There's just so many directions this could explore that would be fascinating and he threads the needle right through all of them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

TheAardvark posted:

There's just so many directions this could explore that would be fascinating and he threads the needle right through all of them
this is a really good way to sum it up

the fourth book exists and the premise is "what happened to that one early-generation Bob that was lost and nobody ever heard from him despite expanding in all directions and having FTL communications going as soon as they did", which again, could end up interesting buuuuuuut

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

The first rule of the Bobiverse Books seems to be "The MC is boring Bob." and the author is entirely too pleased with themselves about it.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Am I crazy or do the SuperPowereds books get worse as they go on? 3 is dragging so badly I’m probably going to just stop, and I enjoyed 2 decently enough.

ACValiant
Sep 7, 2005

Huh...? Oh, this? Nah, don't worry. Just in the middle of some messy business.

Captain Monkey posted:

Am I crazy or do the SuperPowereds books get worse as they go on? 3 is dragging so badly I’m probably going to just stop, and I enjoyed 2 decently enough.

I wouldn't call you crazy but I personally enjoyed the 3rd book the most. I'm not sure why its dragging for you.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
They do get longer with 3 and especially 4. If you judge them as progression fantasy, it's too many words between power ups, I'd say. But I wouldn't do that.

Xel
Jan 21, 2003

Cicero posted:

Anyway, the web serial LitRPG's I read or have read: The Wandering Inn, Worth the Candle, Delve, The Daily Grind, He Who Fights With Monsters, Vainqueur the Dragon. I'd recommend them all on some level.

Took me a month (maybe more) but I read all of The Wandering Inn and it really was a lot better than I expected. Same with Mother of Learning which I feel like has the most misleading name since it's a story about a young wizard going to Hogwarts-like university and there is very little mothering involved.

I now appreciate royal road a lot. Nothing like getting to the point of "Wow I really love this" and you are still only 5% in with 80 hours more book to go. Going to be a while before I read anything on Kindle Unlimited again if only because it will take me that long to finish everything I've found.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

Repetition is the mother of learning. It’s an old saying.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Anias posted:

Repetition is the mother of learning. It’s an old saying.

You know, I know the saying quite well (it's more popular in my native language) and I didn't make the connection until years after I first read MoL.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i never realized that myself, i thought it had to with 'necessity is the mother of invention' but now that i think about it, that makes no sense.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

Just finished Bones of The Past by Drew Hayes. Not sure if it was better than Forging Hephaestus but it was definitely more. A lot more. I enjoyed it regardless.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
I liked it too. Did you get any vibes of a set up for a young Ivan spin-off series? There were so many references to specific incidents in his past with very few actual details provided.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

Man I dunno if I want that. I mean a little bit of Fornax was cool and very effective but I can't imagine I'd want to see Ivan fully living as Fornax.

I'm really looking forward to the new Hephaestus suit and the non-congress heroes finding out Tori is Hephaestus.

Unfortunately I'm sure itll be a while before the next book comes out. At least that probably means more NPCs coming.

Arbetor
Mar 28, 2010

Gonna play tasty.

I am looking for a recommendation for a book or series about a healer, cleric, or doctor - specifically something where that is the character's main focus, not just an interesting application of powers or something they occasionally do after a fight.

I would prefer sword and spell fantasy, but urban fantasy or sci fi would also be fine.
No or minimal litrpg-ness. Reading stat blocks and explicit levels and such drives me up the wall. Dakota Krout's Divine Dungeon is about my limit on that stuff (strengths are divided into lettered and numbered grades, and there are templates and abilities applied to monsters, but it is a little more organic than books where the author decides I need to know that the MC has exactly 348.9 skill points in basket weaving.)

I have read some of Sector General by James White, which had a lot of the elements I am looking for (ignoring the whole 60s era gender roles stuff). I also recently finished Vice College for Young Demons, which had a few scenes of the main character using her pain and emotion control abilities to deal with chronic illnesses in a clinical setting that I really enjoyed.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Arbetor posted:

I am looking for a recommendation for a book or series about a healer, cleric, or doctor - specifically something where that is the character's main focus, not just an interesting application of powers or something they occasionally do after a fight.

I would prefer sword and spell fantasy, but urban fantasy or sci fi would also be fine.
No or minimal litrpg-ness. Reading stat blocks and explicit levels and such drives me up the wall. Dakota Krout's Divine Dungeon is about my limit on that stuff (strengths are divided into lettered and numbered grades, and there are templates and abilities applied to monsters, but it is a little more organic than books where the author decides I need to know that the MC has exactly 348.9 skill points in basket weaving.)

I have read some of Sector General by James White, which had a lot of the elements I am looking for (ignoring the whole 60s era gender roles stuff). I also recently finished Vice College for Young Demons, which had a few scenes of the main character using her pain and emotion control abilities to deal with chronic illnesses in a clinical setting that I really enjoyed.

For another 60s/70s-era book, Prostho Plus by Piers Anthony has a dentist who gets kidnapped by aliens and ends up in space dental adventures.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Arbetor posted:

Healer's Road by S. E. Robertson. It's literally about a magical healer and a combat medic partnered up on a humanitarian mission in a vaguely 1600s fantasy world to a less developed section. The sequel has more, but it takes much more of a back seat to the slice of life stuff, cuz both characters have other stuff to do.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

RA Salvatore's Cleric Quintet if you want some completely different style trash.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
Trudi Canavan's The Magician's Apprentice. The protagonist is a young girl who's a trained assistant to her father, the village healer and she becomes a magician. Healing is her thing.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

Leng posted:

Trudi Canavan's The Magician's Apprentice. The protagonist is a young girl who's a trained assistant to her father, the village healer and she becomes a magician. Healing is her thing.

Yeah read this. It’s a trilogy and interesting take on several tropes.

Arbetor
Mar 28, 2010

Gonna play tasty.

Leng posted:

This looks perfect, thank you.

I will look at some of the other recommendations - I have already given entirely too much money to Piers Anthony for my conscience. drat you, middle school reading habit.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

Anias posted:

Yeah read this. It’s a trilogy and interesting take on several tropes.

That specific one is technically the prequel :v: to The Magician's Guild, the first book in the main trilogy (followed by The Novice and The High Lord) which has less of a focus on healing. But it is indeed also good.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

I finished Something, the latest LitRPG by Dakota Krout, but wow, I really had to power through the last bits. The prose is the usual LitRPG badness, so far so expected, but more damningly pretty much all the characters are unlikeable asshats who barely tolerate each other. I dunno what the gently caress Krout was thinking with these guys, it's like the exact opposite of the synergy you get with the gang in Cradle. Plus, there's barely any plot, even by LitRPG standards. This book was a real slog, ugh.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The one before that wasnt amazing either. Actually come to think of it everyone in every Dakota Krout book is a prick, but not even in an interesting way. Just the normal 'kind of an rear end in a top hat' way.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Yeah Krout is real bad even for litrpg.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

I'm a few chapters into New Game Minus and my god, already so much better.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

I finished the New Game Minus trilogy and it was quite solid. Kind of reminds me of Drew Hayes' Spells, Swords, and Stealth.

Then I tried to read the first book of Everybody Loves Large Chests and gave up after a little bit. The writing quality isn't great, but more importantly I just couldn't get any enjoyment out of watching a mimic continuously murder adventurers, even if a lot of them were probably assholes.

Now I'm reading Dungeon Crawler Carl, which is alright. I'm not in love with it, but it's fine so far.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dungeon Crawler Carl only gets better but it's hard to love as are Matt Dinniman's other books. Not recommended if you like cheery reads. ELLC is a web novel you're supposed to jack off to, and it shows. New game minus pwns and I want more.

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013
Reviews on Frontlines #7 don't look very encouraging. Think he's just tired of it, judging by how Kloos has another line up. Anyone read it?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There's a new EarthCent Auxiliaries book out. I don't know if anybody reads these but me. E.M. Foner continues to give me what I crave. It features a Terran explaining to someone who's never lived there how the internet works and it's very funny.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Picked up New Game Minus. It’s... surprisingly good!

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Larry Parrish posted:

There's a new EarthCent Auxiliaries book out. I don't know if anybody reads these but me. E.M. Foner continues to give me what I crave. It features a Terran explaining to someone who's never lived there how the internet works and it's very funny.

drat it, your post got my hopes up that the book after Traders was out. Earthcent life! The entirety of the series is just a nice way to relax and be happy.

I’m hoping the next book will be another In the Flower series. And I wish he would get more audiobooks made, but that seems unlikely to happen unless his popularity really takes off.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

.Z. posted:

drat it, your post got my hopes up that the book after Traders was out. Earthcent life! The entirety of the series is just a nice way to relax and be happy.

I’m hoping the next book will be another In the Flower series. And I wish he would get more audiobooks made, but that seems unlikely to happen unless his popularity really takes off.

Yeah I love these. The flower one is also my favorite for whatever reason.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Larry Parrish posted:

a web novel you're supposed to jack off to, and it shows
thread title etc

(the current thread title is better but this is a perfect turn of phrase)

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

Captain Monkey posted:

Picked up New Game Minus. It’s... surprisingly good!

I picked this up since anything getting 2 recommendations in this thread has to be better than the usual dreck and you're exactly right, it's surprisingly good. For you and the other poster who liked it, you would probably also like the Forever Fantasy Online series by Rachel Aaron - it's the only other "RPG world turned real" book I've been able to tolerate, and I think the common thread is that the books acknowledge how massively hosed up such a thing is and dealing with the implications is a major part of the characters' arcs instead of just having them start exploiting mechanics for power.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Thank you I will check it out when I am done with the story of Bloodewraithe

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Cicero posted:

I finished the New Game Minus trilogy and it was quite solid. Kind of reminds me of Drew Hayes' Spells, Swords, and Stealth.

Then I tried to read the first book of Everybody Loves Large Chests and gave up after a little bit. The writing quality isn't great, but more importantly I just couldn't get any enjoyment out of watching a mimic continuously murder adventurers, even if a lot of them were probably assholes.

Now I'm reading Dungeon Crawler Carl, which is alright. I'm not in love with it, but it's fine so far.

Larry Parrish posted:

Dungeon Crawler Carl only gets better but it's hard to love as are Matt Dinniman's other books. Not recommended if you like cheery reads. ELLC is a web novel you're supposed to jack off to, and it shows. New game minus pwns and I want more.

DCC is weird in that it's so formulated like a weird LITRPG that if you aren't familiar with his other works I think it'd be hard to see it as more than a slightly grimmer and more antagonistic example of the stereotypical LITRPG. It's still good in that respect but his other works are a lot more in your face with the subtext and in DCC it's a lot easier to ignore it and just think of it as weird emphasis in the story and odd choices of what gets noticed by Carl.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I guess. The first book doesn't really put it in your face, but really everything just gets more hosed up and horrible as time goes on. It's not as unendingly horrific as Kaiju: Battlefield Surgeon, that's for sure. Dominion of Blades seems about the same, though, just with a little more body horror. I really like his books, though. I just know some people really hated his other stuff.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

Larry Parrish posted:

I guess. The first book doesn't really put it in your face, but really everything just gets more hosed up and horrible as time goes on. It's not as unendingly horrific as Kaiju: Battlefield Surgeon, that's for sure. Dominion of Blades seems about the same, though, just with a little more body horror. I really like his books, though. I just know some people really hated his other stuff.

I always saw at least the first book of Dominion of Blades as more of an eldritch horror sort of thing what with all the people who have spent tens of thousands of subjective years staring into an unchanging loading screen or the main character who will be tortured to insanity if they die even once during the course of the first 2 books, and the people who weren't kept sane by living the lives of NPCs for all that time and woke up early going crazy from the fact that they have been trapped in an MMO with very few other real people and having to worry about accidentally triggering events that will make their lives incredibly difficult around every corner due to world events being triggered by player proximity.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
New Game Minus sort of got worse in book 2 and just fell apart in Book 3. Still better than 95% of KU stuff though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

Finally got to Dungeon Crawler Carl and the second book. Really good stuff. Can't wait for the next volume on 4/1 it sounds bonkers. I tore rear end through the second book, finishing it today about 1 PM after starting it yesterday around 5.