Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
haha, boner

edit: if they really nailed one detail of realism it's the high ranking government official not having a lock code on his phone

Cage Kicker fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Mar 5, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011
Wanda not facing any sort of accountability really bothers me

No remorse, just "they hate me they don't understand me" and she gets to go have tea in the Adirondacks

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Elizabeth Olsen and Kathryn Hahn are cool and good and should get as much work as they want

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
I actually didn't read into what people were speculating online. I did it for myself at home! I mean, for a TV series it was ok? Lotta questions. Lotta let downs. Some interesting :thunk: reveals but not like old marvel ones that made neckbeards literally scream at the screen.

All in all my final verdict; i want more Michael pena and antman.

Ants! Ants!

pr0p
Dec 8, 2011
The head crushing scene was pretty bad. I don't know why the foley put breaking bone noises in there.

e: hayward is hilariously dumb if this is his conclusion

pr0p fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Mar 5, 2021

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Absolutely loved it. Don't care at all for the people mad that all the crazy speculation and baseless theories didn't pan out. I wondered early about many things and had my theories but over the last few weeks the story pretty clearly took shape and this as a resolution and emotional catharsis, not some big ball of twists. I think people who had themselves worked up for that instead of just following the story kind of did it to themselves.

As far as Wanda's punishment, I didn't really know what people wanted last week and I still don't. Monica didn't approve of what she did, she empathized with it. She wasn't forgiven. A town of people stared at her like a monster while she actively said they'd never see her any differently. The FBI or SWORD was never gonna arrest her and put her in a cell. How could they unless she let them? She effectively IS in exile now. And honestly, studying her magic is the responsible decision. She caused so much pain and chaos involuntarily due to grief, locking her in a cell in depression without learning anything is kind of a really dumb idea. The show went out of its way not to excuse her actions, I thought, and it very much punished her. I don't know. I just don't know what people wanted and I didn't last week either.

I'm kind of fine with Vision flying off in existential crisis. It leaves him in play with who he is uncertain. Do the memories make him Vision? Is that Vision's soul in that "piece of the mind stone in Wanda"? Its loosely what I expected. I kind of expected him to remain under SWORD control but honestly we still have no idea what SWORD is and now it seems like Fury and the Skrulls aren't part of it. So that's all still a giant ? but I guess we'll learn more in Ms Marvel, Captain Marvel 2, and Secret Invasion.

I don't feel strongly about Monica/Photon but hey, she's here and she's set up to do more with. I've very happy they thy didn't kill Agatha off so she can come back later. Good to break that trend, MCU.. Pietro's probably the one "speculation" place I can empathize with people mad. I'm not mad. I find it cute and once again it seemed clear it wasn't gonna be multi universe X-Men stuff for a week or two now. But that's one the show actually did tease so if the audience is unhappy with what they did with it that's on the show.

But I'm very pleased.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Speak of the devil, we’re off right out of the gate with a complete misunderstanding of what a character actually said.

”If I had your powers I’d bring back my mom” is in no way equivalent to what you’re suggesting. Monica said precisely zero about anything other than bringing her dead mother back.

The writing is clunky and bad for putting those thoughts together totally uncritically.

-"You gave up a lot for them."
-"They won't see it that way. I enslaved them."
-"Huh. I'd bring back a loved one too if I was in the same position."

Of course the writers didn't intend it. They absolutely missed how awkward it is to put those thoughts together. That's what makes it bad. What she said to comfort her had nothing to do with Wanda just saying how bad the whole enslaving the town thing was. So it comes off as understanding her choices.

It's just another half-baked bit of writing in a series finale filled with them. They have some flexibility with their run time and Disney money here. No reason this shouldn't have been smoothed over at some point.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
The good parts of the episode were breathtaking, but the bad parts were pretty bad. Any actual dialogue exchange between characters were really interesting and moving. But a lot of the action scenes were bog quality TV bad...like, Runaways bad. It took me forever to realize that the soldiers got mind-whammied by Billy and that they weren't just standing around awkwardly waiting for a cue to do something.

And yeah there were definitely things throughout the show that felt like they were leading up to something, and then just got quickly wrapped up. A lot of it, you can easily blame on nerd hype. But the Bohner thing is just dumb. So Agatha seriously just found some rando and gave him super speed? What?

I don't think the episode needed to be longer or anything, but there was a lot of wasted time.

Mind you, I actually liked how it resolved. But I wouldn't complain about things I don't also like :xd:

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
What's up with the last scene?

For all intents and purposes, is she trying to bring her kids back from the "dead"? Because that seems like what got her into this mess in the first place."

night slime
May 14, 2014

McCloud posted:

I sure hope so, because otherwise that was what one might consider a real boner

What did you know

Zesty posted:

For all intents and purposes, is she trying to bring her kids back from the "dead"? Because that seems like what got her into this mess in the first place."

I think she's in the room learning about her powers and the kids randomly call out to her.

VivaLa Eeveelution
Apr 3, 2011

We were so busy getting hyped for a FoX-Men crossover that they blindsided us with one with DC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RoDy1oqS-E

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Zesty posted:

I mean, she did basically everything in this series without any sense of how her powers actually worked. If hearing her kids wasn't unintentional, it seems logical that part of her Magick Education Journey would involve seeing if she could have her kids without any of the bad stuff

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Can anybody explain to me why Wanda had an illusion/clone making tea when in the next room she's doing spoopy magic stuff. What was it's purpose, surely not distraction since she's alone in the middle of nowhere. She didn't even close the door!"

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

The Visions though experimenting it out was good, the rest was a resumption of Marvel norms.

Wandavision has demostrated that the leads are capable of doing alot more then they get in MCU if given the chance, so hopefully they'll get work out it.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

The haha Bohner gag is a repeat of the Mandarin from Iron Man 3. It's like, haha you thought it was a beloved character idiot it's actually a fake goofy actor. But after the immediate joke passes you just miss out on an interesting character for a short gag.

I think it's a very reasonable complaint that even if they can't fully punish Wanda in universe, the show should've framed it differently especially from the perspective of the unequivocally "good" characters like Monica.

also what the gently caress was Haywards big plan and when did it become obvious enough for him to literally look at the camera and say "they'll never believe you Jimmy! mwuahahaha I'll get away with it all!" before shooting a kid

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
I would've loved it if they solved the Ship of Theseus problem the same way Trigger did.

BurritoJustice posted:

The haha Bohner gag is a repeat of the Mandarin from Iron Man 3. It's like, haha you thought it was a beloved character idiot it's actually a fake goofy actor. But after the immediate joke passes you just miss out on an interesting character for a short gag.

The real deal is in Shang-Chi.

radlum
May 13, 2013
So did COVID impact the episode? When Darcy just dissapeared from the series, I wondered if there were any issues with the filming or something like that since it's weird she just had a small shot and nothing else

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Zesty posted:

In the comics her sons are actually like parts of Mephisto's soul, so my guess is that her son's souls/essences are somewhere. Hell, purgatory, the nexus, another dimension. I'm guessing Wanda's quest to learn her powers, find her kids, and possession of the Darkhold will lead her to Strange or Strange to her.

I have no idea why the hell she's running a fake her through motions. That feels like maybe it hints at her state of mind no being 100% right now and retreating from all civilization probably not likely to help.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

JoylessJester posted:

The Visions though experimenting it out was good, the rest was a resumption of Marvel norms.

Wandavision has demostrated that the leads are capable of doing alot more then they get in MCU if given the chance, so hopefully they'll get work out it.

Yeah, this is exactly where I stand as well.

I'd only add: the plot and narrative weren't interesting at all to me, but even in episodes I found subpar, Bettany / Olsen carried the show quite well.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I'm a bit miffed we went the whole series pointing out how wrong the enslavement of this town is, and in the end she suffered no consequences other than "I guess they don't like me. I feel bad about that. But I was rewarded by being allowed to go Super Saiyan so I'm off to read the Necronomicon now. Later!"

I don't read the comics so maybe that's next for her character?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I find it strange that people connected with Olsen's performance and yet don't feel she suffered punishment for what she did. I personally can't separate those two things and its the heart of the show IMO.

marhom
Jul 1, 2004

bear is driving
while I was 100% on the "this is going to be a reed / more fox x-men cameo" ending, I really enjoyed it.

well, I mean, enjoyed is a very nuanced word here as there were a lot of moments of grief that did finally resonate in a real way for me personally slash uniquely. The Monica line near the end was clunky in a tv show way but I think that reading anything beyond someone trying to commiserate and understanding the emotions that made them do what they did - even though abominable - is maybe a bit of a weird read on it.

There is absolutely no way that Fauxtro isn't multiverse Pietro. I'm holding to this. It's a comic book show, I'm not gonna assume too much but you don't introduce a secret antagonist with turbo magical powers whomst can also create other metahumans at that scale. also there are way too many "things are slightly off but still normal" references with him

weird question involving the final scene that I don't have time to go back through and check tonight: are those new voice clips of the twins? I ask because is the implication that the memories are driving her to do something bad, or do they exist *somewhere else*. Both ultimately result in the same thing, just by different narrative paths and that's kinda important considering the other stuff

Probably top 3-4 MCU property for me but there's a lot of personal poo poo around it that makes it resonate harder, so I get it.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

lol hayword just point blank shooting at children.

yikes

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
The shot of all the townspeople just staring at Hoody-Wanda from a distance is supposed to impart to us that they are mad as gently caress. But uhhh, lol...it just looks like the ending to a musical.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

People were right in that it was a bit prdictable that it eventually coming down to CGI people shooting lasers at each other but all in all I think that was better than a lot of the movie entries of the MCU.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Simulation883 posted:

So much missed opportunity. But admittedly we're all so craved for something new in this pandemic, we were projecting a lot onto this show.

Also, I was so disappointed in how they handled Vision. When he left the hex originally he asked for SWORD to save the townspeople while he was literally dying. But now he seemed cool with it as long as Wanda stopped it eventually. I was at least hoping White Vision would meet her and tell her he loves her but that he cant be with her after her actions.

Yeah, I can't say as I thought the finale was perfect by any stretch and when Wanda leaves the house and starts walking through the crowd with police around, I thought she was either going to hand herself in or at least talk to the crowd. Which would be better than just peacing out. I still enjoyed the show, and even the finale regardless. Vision's fight being resolved and even resulting in some character development was nice for one thing, and I thought the final scenes faux-Vision had with Wanda were sweet too. I imagine White Vision peaced out because he was suddenly possessing of his full personality, and not just a simulacrum anymore. So he left to make peace with himself, since while he understands Wanda, that doesn't mean he forgives her. He knows the faux-Vision is handling the rest anyway, that the kids aren't real and aren't going to be around etc. He can't contribute much, but has things he needs to resolve within himself.

BurritoJustice posted:

They also killed their gays but I am hoping they bring them back with evil darkhold magic or whatever. The cynical part of me feels they are workshopping whether they're okay with two characters so intrinsically linked to their sexuality that they can't Disney-wash them

I don't see how you think they won't given the final scene of the show. That said, they probably didn't kill their gays because they're workshopping them, but because that was part of the original story the show is mostly adapting. We basically already know there'll be a further movie to deal with them again in future given the post credits scene and confirmation Wanda will be in Doctor Strange II, and it'll probably result in bringing them back with new actors at a more suitable age for heroics or something. Given how far out Feige and the MCU team team in general seems to have planned things out, I can't imagine they don't have some plans for the kids and that they're only now workshopping ideas for what to do with them.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

MoaM posted:

The shot of all the townspeople just staring at Hoody-Wanda from a distance is supposed to impart to us that they are mad as gently caress. But uhhh, lol...it just looks like the ending to a musical.

This would have been a phenomenal way to end the show. A modern day take off of the "live" musical, with her chaos magic causing everyone to break out into song.

So was the actor Paul wanted to work with himself then I take it? Good move Paul.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Its Rinaldo posted:

Can anybody explain to me why Wanda had an illusion/clone making tea when in the next room she's doing spoopy magic stuff. What was it's purpose, surely not distraction since she's alone in the middle of nowhere. She didn't even close the door!"

It’s the same as when Dr Strange was learning magic while sleeping through astral projection.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

The_Doctor posted:

It’s the same as when Dr Strange was learning magic while sleeping through astral projection.

Oh ok makes sense!

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

STAC Goat posted:

I find it strange that people connected with Olsen's performance and yet don't feel she suffered punishment for what she did. I personally can't separate those two things and its the heart of the show IMO.

I think they undercut it in a lot of ways. First and foremost, by packing in an insane amount of story beats entirely into the finale. You get Wanda realizing the scope of what she's done / your first widespread glimpse into how it's affecting townspeople, then she decides to let them go, then she realizes her family is fake and she'll lose them if the Hex doesn't exist. Right at what is maybe the most pivotal character moment in the series, the entire episode is waylaid by CGI magic fights, the kids and Monica using their powers, comeuppance for Mustache-Twirling Hayward, some small resolution for White Vision, some Agatha backstory and whatever else they stuffed into the middle of this episode. By the time that's all done, you still have to hit Wanda accepting that she's going to lose her family, Vision and Wanda saying goodbye, Wanda explaining what Vision is, establishing that the townspeople still resent her, establishing that Monica doesn't, and then you just have Wanda fly off into exile to learn more about her powers.

It's entirely too much track to lay in one episode. If you told me four episodes ago that the resolution is "Wanda loses her family and goes into exile," I would have thought that makes sense. But they didn't give any of the stuff in the last episode time to breathe, and I don't think you're doing her any favors by having a big "The people in this town 100% got supremely hosed up" scene and then not really giving it any resolution other than "Welp, they hate her, waddaya gonna do. Deuces!"

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

marhom posted:

There is absolutely no way that Fauxtro isn't multiverse Pietro. I'm holding to this. It's a comic book show, I'm not gonna assume too much but you don't introduce a secret antagonist with turbo magical powers whomst can also create other metahumans at that scale. also there are way too many "things are slightly off but still normal" references with him

That's Ralph Boner

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
:sweatdrop: Okay just to be clear y'all, this does not count as an instance of them "killing the gays." This is the gays' origin story. The gays are gonna be fine.

I will say it's gonna be funny that this apocalyptic mystical threat has happened and Doctor Strange just straight-up slept through it all

marhom
Jul 1, 2004

bear is driving

STAC Goat posted:

In the comics her sons are actually like parts of Mephisto's soul, so my guess is that her son's souls/essences are somewhere. Hell, purgatory, the nexus, another dimension. I'm guessing Wanda's quest to learn her powers, find her kids, and possession of the Darkhold will lead her to Strange or Strange to her.

I have no idea why the hell she's running a fake her through motions. That feels like maybe it hints at her state of mind no being 100% right now and retreating from all civilization probably not likely to help.

re: the stuff around the last scene: I don't know that it's a fake her.
In the moment, it felt very much like it was just showing off how much her powers have grown, in that reality is extremely malleable to her - she can do both things at the same time. This kinda tracks with some of what we've seen magic in the mcu can do, and now that we're explicitly calling it that well.

The other option is that it's actualllllllllllllllly one of those things that we're gonna look back on in *checks calendar, shrugs* bc she's already cracked the multiverse open and it's another version of herself collaborating with her.

Leaning towards the latter because it's more wild and thus more fun if actually true and definitely not because it also passively supports my 'JJJ is Sony JJJ' theory.

How many commercials did we end up getting, all said?

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Zesty posted:

I think the implication when she says "thank you for choosing me to be your mother" is that the kids do exist as separate entities in some form.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

BrianWilly posted:

:sweatdrop: Okay just to be clear y'all, this does not count as an instance of them "killing the gays." This is the gays' origin story. The gays are gonna be fine.

I will say it's gonna be funny that this apocalyptic mystical threat has happened and Doctor Strange just straight-up slept through it all

I'll cop it as a bad take, it was immediately after the episode and I had been reading people saying they'd tease them and then write them off. I'm just not 100% used to trusting Disney to follow through with things like this

^^I also thought they might end up being random kids from the neighbourhood when she thanked them for choosing her. That was strange. Pietro was a puppet and Vision was a fragment of the soul stone, so I thought it was plausible they were puppets too

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

The World Inferno posted:

This would have been a phenomenal way to end the show. A modern day take off of the "live" musical, with her chaos magic causing everyone to break out into song.

So was the actor Paul wanted to work with himself then I take it? Good move Paul.

There's an interview on YouTube of him on CBS or CNN or something, where he admits that he initially said that as a joke, and that he almost immediately regretted it as speculation got out of hand but that it was too late. It wasn't some master trolling on his part really, but it was fun regardless.

BrianWilly posted:

I don't know that I'd count it as an apocalyptic threat, since it was very localized. I thought he might appear in the final stinger, but I'm not surprised he wasn't fussed by it either given the relative scale of what Wanda was doing and he that presumably has bigger issues, with Kycilius, the time stone being gone, reorganizing the Sanctum and various sorcerers following the blip etc.

tsob fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Mar 5, 2021

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

xbilkis posted:

I think they undercut it in a lot of ways. First and foremost, by packing in an insane amount of story beats entirely into the finale. You get Wanda realizing the scope of what she's done / your first widespread glimpse into how it's affecting townspeople, then she decides to let them go, then she realizes her family is fake and she'll lose them if the Hex doesn't exist. Right at what is maybe the most pivotal character moment in the series, the entire episode is waylaid by CGI magic fights, the kids and Monica using their powers, comeuppance for Mustache-Twirling Hayward, some small resolution for White Vision, some Agatha backstory and whatever else they stuffed into the middle of this episode. By the time that's all done, you still have to hit Wanda accepting that she's going to lose her family, Vision and Wanda saying goodbye, Wanda explaining what Vision is, establishing that the townspeople still resent her, establishing that Monica doesn't, and then you just have Wanda fly off into exile to learn more about her powers.

It's entirely too much track to lay in one episode. If you told me four episodes ago that the resolution is "Wanda loses her family and goes into exile," I would have thought that makes sense. But they didn't give any of the stuff in the last episode time to breathe, and I don't think you're doing her any favors by having a big "The people in this town 100% got supremely hosed up" scene and then not really giving it any resolution other than "Welp, they hate her, waddaya gonna do. Deuces!"

I dunno about the time thing. Like that's the same amount of stuff in the same amount of time you'd pack into a film ending and this episode flowed pretty directly out of the last couple of episodes. I feel like we've been firmly in "Act 3" every since Wanda was confronted by Vision/Pietro and clearly started to feel the guilt of what she's done.

And I think that's what I mean when I say I'm surprised people are kind of separating Olsen's performance from the catharsis/consequences of the show. For me she's been clearly expressing her guilt for weeks now and evryone from Vision to Pietro to Agatha to crying townspeople were hammering home that she's doing bad. Its also pretty clear she startd it involuntarily and was still deluding herself about it all the way up until that moment the towns people started pleading to hr. I actually really liked the quiet resolve she and Vision had about what needed to be done. Its the redeeming element for Wanda for me, that once she finally truly realized what she was doing she didn't debate or bargain any more. She immediately started correcting things and just gave herself enough time to say goodbye.

I dunno. I actually thought people would like that they didn't have an extended melodramatic debate/speech about what needed to be done. I felt like all that had already been spelled out pretty well for Wanda and us.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
I look forward to Kitty Forman being the next MCU villain

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

marhom posted:

re: the stuff around the last scene: I don't know that it's a fake her.
In the moment, it felt very much like it was just showing off how much her powers have grown, in that reality is extremely malleable to her - she can do both things at the same time. This kinda tracks with some of what we've seen magic in the mcu can do, and now that we're explicitly calling it that well.

Yeah, that's a logical enough explanation I guess without going to Wanda's really snapped. I guess just like what Strange did when he was training so just meant to show us her quick progression, even without the training or resources Strange got.

tsob posted:

I don't know that I'd count it as an apocalyptic threat, since it was very localized. I thought he might appear in the final stinger, but I'm not surprised he wasn't fussed by it either given the relative scale of what Wanda was doing and that presumably has bigger issues, with Kycilius, the time stone being gone, reorganizing the Sanctum and various sorcerers following the blip etc.

I mean, Agatha sensed the magic so its not unreasonable to say Strange should have sensed it too. But we don't know what he's doing. He could be in another dimension right now or something.

massive spider posted:

I think the implication when she says "thank you for choosing me to be your mother" is that the kids do exist as separate entities in some form.

Yeah, that line choice seemed very deliberate. I don't know what it exactly means but I'm sure its not over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Ralph Boner has to be the witsec guy, right? Like come on