Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Volte posted:

That's just a gesture (jump for joy) - you have to trigger that yourself. Normally you can trigger it by pushing the left side of the touch pad and selecting it, but there are also motion controls to activate them. You probably triggered it accidentally by holding X and moving your controller in a certain way.

Lol no loving way. I know about the gesture menu but.. motion controls?? This game, there’s probably a dozen other controller commands I’m totally blissfully unaware of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

acksplode posted:

Interview with Deathloop's director and art director:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDzGGa6G2kM

It's kinda long but it opens with a short video from Arkane that explains a lot about how the game will work, I'd recommend anyone halfway interested at least watch that. It confirms what I was suspecting and hoping for, which is that this is ultimately a puzzle game. You have a bunch of targets on one big island cut into zones, and the island and its inhabitants progress through four distinct times-of-day before looping back to the start. You have a degree of freedom that reminds me of Hitman: you can kill targets however you like, with some tailored opportunities built into the scenario. But it's a puzzle game rather than a murder sandbox because the win condition is killing every target in the same loop, which is apparently so tricky that there's only one specific way to do it. You begin the game as an amnesiac and over its duration you figure out the plot and solve the assassination puzzle through experimenting and looping.

This is kinda my hope/fear is that it could ostensibly be somewhat easily spoiled by accident. I'm sure it's pretty involved in the end, though.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Blind Rasputin posted:

Lol no loving way. I know about the gesture menu but.. motion controls?? This game, there’s probably a dozen other controller commands I’m totally blissfully unaware of.

Yeah it's kind of weird and annoying I've triggered it a few times while leveling up probably from mashing x really fast

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

RichterIX posted:

Is the native app for Netflix preferable to, say, my Chromecast Ultra? We don't really have a preference, we are just really used to being able to use our phones to cast poo poo.

I think for the most part native streaming apps display stuff better than any peripheral if you buy a mainstream TV brand. There's exceptions, like for us the TV hulu app buffers a lot so we use PS5 for that one.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA
Finished playing through The Last Guardian for the first time today and holy poo poo what an experience. The environments and big cinematic sequences in that game are just insane. The moment-to-moment gameplay got very frustrating at times between some awkward controls and Trico being a stupid beast, but the emotional impact by the end of the game was surprisingly powerful.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

acksplode posted:

Interview with Deathloop's director and art director:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDzGGa6G2kM

It's kinda long but it opens with a short video from Arkane that explains a lot about how the game will work, I'd recommend anyone halfway interested at least watch that. It confirms what I was suspecting and hoping for, which is that this is ultimately a puzzle game. You have a bunch of targets on one big island cut into zones, and the island and its inhabitants progress through four distinct times-of-day before looping back to the start. You have a degree of freedom that reminds me of Hitman: you can kill targets however you like, with some tailored opportunities built into the scenario. But it's a puzzle game rather than a murder sandbox because the win condition is killing every target in the same loop, which is apparently so tricky that there's only one specific way to do it. You begin the game as an amnesiac and over its duration you figure out the plot and solve the assassination puzzle through experimenting and looping.
It's gonna be loving incredible.

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

goddamnit i want last guardian to be 60fps. no i won't buy the disc

i'll get into it eventually. 30fps is just choppy in comparison now. i did start the game and play for a few minutes for the sole purpose of seeing what the 30fps gameplay is like

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Papercut posted:

Finished playing through The Last Guardian for the first time today and holy poo poo what an experience. The environments and big cinematic sequences in that game are just insane. The moment-to-moment gameplay got very frustrating at times between some awkward controls and Trico being a stupid beast, but the emotional impact by the end of the game was surprisingly powerful.

I’ve been meaning to ask if anyone who hasn’t played TLG before has tried it now that they have a PS5 and the PS Plus collection and what they thought. Cause two of my friends are playing it for the first time, one of which just got a PS5 and the other, who I gave my PS4 to whos been wanting to play it since the first trailer came out, so I basically gave it him for that reason now that I have a PS5. But both of them are nearly finished with it and really liked it and I’m excited to see what they think of the ending especially.

But I’m glad you liked it, and I think everyone should finish it if they’ve started it, because of what you posted basically, unless you’re just not enjoying the game at all I guess.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

So when the last guardian came out did it’s graphics demands just run the PS4 into the dirt? I played it on a PS4 pro and even on that it felt like all those feathers were going to burn up the system.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Blind Rasputin posted:

So when the last guardian came out did it’s graphics demands just run the PS4 into the dirt? I played it on a PS4 pro and even on that it felt like all those feathers were going to burn up the system.

It launched right after pro and the upgrade was very necessary for any decent fps

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
I bought my PS4 specifically for TLG so I probably didn’t notice as many issues as I would now, but it runs very smoothly on PS5. I didn’t notice like any frame rate dips.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA

Imhotep posted:

I’ve been meaning to ask if anyone who hasn’t played TLG before has tried it now that they have a PS5 and the PS Plus collection and what they thought. Cause two of my friends are playing it for the first time, one of which just got a PS5 and the other, who I gave my PS4 to whos been wanting to play it since the first trailer came out, so I basically gave it him for that reason now that I have a PS5. But both of them are nearly finished with it and really liked it and I’m excited to see what they think of the ending especially.

But I’m glad you liked it, and I think everyone should finish it if they’ve started it, because of what you posted basically, unless you’re just not enjoying the game at all I guess.

Yeah it was a weird experience, there were times in the sort of mid-early game where I almost gave up because of many moments of, "is this not the puzzle solution or it is the solution and this animal just isn't doing it?" frustration. But I'm *so* glad I stuck with it, the payoff was huge. A truly incredible, memorable gaming experience.

Performance was perfect yeah, not a hitch.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
My only regret is beating dark souls 1 on the switch. Now it doesn't look like I'm cool on my ps5

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
Do what I did and buy it for both Switch and PS4, I beat it on both too.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

omg chael crash posted:

Played 5/6 minutes of FF7R before deleting it. Way too annoying.

self own auto notification

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

jesus alatreon is going to be the end of me

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I had pretty much the opposite reaction. The intro to 7R blew me away. And I'm digging the cast so far.

Are the early bishonen Palpatine Sephiroth scenes new to the remake?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Rinkles posted:

Are the early bishonen Palpatine Sephiroth scenes new to the remake?

Yes, though, the original had scenes where it seemed like *someone* was talking to cloud's mind from offscreen.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

I get the Kos/Kosm thread title now.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
Demons souls was a very good game but I hated it so many times. I have DS3 installed but I'm not sure if 'im ready to go through it all again. I guess at least I'll be a bit better at the combat...

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

henpod posted:

Demons souls was a very good game but I hated it so many times. I have DS3 installed but I'm not sure if 'im ready to go through it all again. I guess at least I'll be a bit better at the combat...

If the remake plays like the OG than be prepared for everything to be 200% more aggressive and twice as fast.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
Oh dear.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's not as bad as it might seem, you've already got the fundamentals you just need to polish them to a mirror sheen.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Tonight I am playing more Dark Souls and I am heading towards Lost Izalith I believe.

Gotta beat that big fiery demon in the corridor first, then I was trying to think of places I had yet to visit and I think I probably have to hit the catacombs at some point and I do wonder if there is more to the valley of the drakes than I thought. Plus a bridge with what looks like about 5 blue standing lizards. Needless to say, I am jazzed to see what this evening will bring!

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Turn down your tv brightness or you'll sear your eyes outta your head in Izalith

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

henpod posted:

Oh dear.

It's true for sure, but I wouldn't say it's 200% harder or anything. Just faster and more visceral.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Darksouls 3 combat is really awesome, very Bloodborne feeling but with a shield instead of a gun. If anything I found a lot of Darksouls 3 relatively easy, they went crazy with the bonfires everywhere. Darksouls 2 felt like much more a meatgrinder in a lot of areas, especially the DLC stuff, I thought they tended to swarm you with annoying enemies more often.

Darksouls 1 will always be a classic, 2 it felt like they were trying to do a bunch of new things and people either liked it or didn't, 3 felt like a nice throwback on the previous games including BB and Demon's Souls.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Dark Souls 3 reigns supreme.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I want to play it the most after hearing that it is a bit of a mix between bloodborne and dark souls.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
Fine - I'm gonna play Dark Souls 3. Already dreading it, but the atmosphere in these games are unmatched so that'll be worth the misery. Will look at guides online to see how I can make things as easy as possible for myself, as I want to be as much a sightseer as possible.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

VideoGames posted:

I want to play it the most after hearing that it is a bit of a mix between bloodborne and dark souls.

It has some very rad combat options, especially for pyromancy. What's an Ashen One to do afterall but go out and try to start some fires?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYMbPc4H0jo

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

henpod posted:

Fine - I'm gonna play Dark Souls 3. Already dreading it, but the atmosphere in these games are unmatched so that'll be worth the misery. Will look at guides online to see how I can make things as easy as possible for myself, as I want to be as much a sightseer as possible.

And there's always jolly goon co-op!

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Souls 3 was REALLY refreshing after Souls 2

No shame in using online guides or youtubing fights or certain sections, a Raw Broadsword +10 pretty much carried me through the game before DLC

Geo Fixer
Jan 10, 2012

"Freedom lies in being bold."
-Robert Frost

At the bottom. Only Bloodborne can reign supreme.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
https://youtu.be/RPWLXsmwgB8
:allears:

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

It has some very rad combat options, especially for pyromancy. What's an Ashen One to do afterall but go out and try to start some fires?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYMbPc4H0jo

I keep forgetting to use my magic in DS1. So comfortable with my great club that I forget I have all these other options. I will try some more pyromancy tonight :3:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

fuckin pro click

Geo Fixer
Jan 10, 2012

"Freedom lies in being bold."
-Robert Frost

This reminded me of the ATV games from PS2. God those were great games.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

VideoGames posted:

I keep forgetting to use my magic in DS1. So comfortable with my great club that I forget I have all these other options. I will try some more pyromancy tonight :3:

It might not be worth putting the points in where you're at in DS1 but that's def up to you; in DS3 starting as a pyromancer gives you access to good skills relatively early on, and I tend to just glass cannon through the game with high STR and END, low VIT, pyro in one hand, and a giant astera greatsword in the other. That said, there are a lot of cool shield synergies, too, and weapon arts + doublefisting weapons can yield some great attack combos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

I’m almost done with my first full playthrough of dark souls 3 and there are a few things that make it easier than the others. Overall I feel it’s actually very accessible. Even for total newcomers. If you’re on the fence. Play it.

You can grind souls and soul levels quite easily, and being a bit overleveled for the place your in and enemies your fighting helps.

You have just tons of weapon choices at your disposal and finding the one that works best for your brain and style, upgrading it a bunch, makes you as deadly as you can get. Weapons and upgrade materials are literally everywhere. You’re showered in them. Weapons pack a real loving punch this game, too, especially just at +2. Not even 20 minutes into the first level I had the starting sword at +1 and that made it killer for then. I think a few times in Demon Souls I felt like my sword wasn’t that strong against some enemies.. in this game there’s swords and hammers and axes that knock enemies flat on their butt with every swing. It’s amazing.

Lastly, there’s basically three types of enemies in every level, easy ones that will die in one hit, medium ones that might take 3-5 hits, and hard ones that take a real fight. Nearly 2/3 of all enemies in a level are the easy ones. So really, you can sail through levels just hacking down trash mobs left and right. Slow down a bit for the medium enemies. Slow way down and focus hard one the rare but very real hard ones. It really doesn’t have to be hard. If a player plays sloppy and isn’t watching and reacting correctly even the easy ones can wreck their health bar. So they might only take literally one single sword slash to kill, but there might be 3-5 in a room and if the player rushes things they can easily die. But, the game designers in this one really hope the player does take it slow, and they purposefully build the levels and encounters hoping the player does so. If they do, they really simply don’t have to die. Learning to focus and react correctly to kill 3-5 easy enemies, or maybe 1-2 medium enemies at a time prepares the player with every skill they need to take on a singular hard guy in an otherwise empty arena for the 2% of the level those hard enemies do pop up. It’s all winnable. And I think this is where the real genius of these games (and dark souls 3 in particular) lies. The more the player personally applies themselves, learns, pays attention to detail and takes things meticulously, the more they improve as a player and the easier the entire game gets. And so why do I think it’s actually a very accessible game this time around? Because people intrinsically want to experience a game in this manner. It’s a beautiful capitulation of a natural characteristic of all players. They nailed it with this one.

There’s also tons of bonfires, almost too many per level. That helps a lot. There’s really never a long run to a boss. Always a bonfire very nearby with maybe just a few enemies to run past to get to the fog gate.

Beyond all that, I will say just holy shiit anyone who hasn’t experienced the grandeur of the levels and set pieces in dark souls 3 is really missing out. I’m at archdragon peak right now and gently caress is it amazing to look at and explore. The first time coming up on profaned capitol, with those god rays coming down through the cave roof above onto its towers?? The impossibly large, impossibly dark and cryptic, cathedral interiors??? Bloodborne was good, demons souls was ok, but if you like to explore and be blown away at what you’re seeing with your eyes.. this is it. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve pushed through a challenging, downright frustrating encounter just to overcome it because damnit I HAD to see what’s next.