Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Releasing a scrambled-around version of DS2 was an awful idea to begin with and SotFS was a bad execution of this bad idea as well.

Every single one of the fifty-odd item and enemy placement changes they made caused the game to be worse and not better.

DS2 is my favorite Fromsoft game, or at least the one that I got the most mileage out of, but cripes SotFS was bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/queerientalist/status/1367127374169571335

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
i liked scholar because it gave you a bunch of the wacky weapons really early and it was different enough from base ds2 that i enjoyed a second runthrough

except old iron keep, that got much worse

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i
didn’t like the anti aliasing in witcher 3 so couldn’t get into it

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

echinopsis posted:

i
didn’t like the anti aliasing in witcher 3 so couldn’t get into it

look at mr anti anti aliasing over here

go play a ps1 game where poo poo is aliased as gently caress!

edit: im playing megaman legends and it still rules

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

I picked up the collection of mana recently, and just noticed that they remade the OST for SoM. :chloe:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
yeah most ps1 games look terrible. there’s a reason they made poo poo better

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

MSAA was the peak of antialiasing tech and since doing it with deferred shading requires multisampling a few extra times every major engine vendor looks at it and goes lol no sorry here have some lovely TAA that we couldn't be hosed to tweak ourselves instead and a slider to adjust the sharpening filter if you're lucky

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
eh.. temporal anti aliasing certainly has benefits and makes some stuff look great while other stuff idk..

but yeah. it’s like we’re in a dip of time where antialiasing has to get worse before it can get better again.

DLSS has promise because well suppose it’d be bad and worthless if it introduced aliasing so by virtue of its mechanism it should be anti aliasing in nature and an interesting pathway toward better images from the same amount of compute energy or whatever term is actually correct

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Truman Peyote posted:

I played ff8 up until just before you enter the final boss's castle or whatever. just saved, put it down, went to dinner, and never picked it up again.

It's a Japanese computer game so... you won! Think about Metal Gear Solid's (a.k.a. Buttock Man) fight against Old Sniper Dude With A Parrot.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
that's what happens when you start assembling your image by merging together a dozen intermediate buffers, the gpu can't invisibly help you any more

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

echinopsis posted:

DLSS has promise because well suppose it’d be bad and worthless if it introduced aliasing so by virtue of its mechanism it should be anti aliasing in nature and an interesting pathway toward better images from the same amount of compute energy or whatever term is actually correct

i was friggin' floored at how much faster 'control' ran while being exceptionally pretty at native rez with DLSS

neato technology

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
ace combat 7 is pretty fun. flyin' a f-14d super tomcat with the two stage wings hell yeah

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Metal Gear Solid's (a.k.a. Buttock Man) fight against Old Sniper Dude With A Parrot.

that would have been 100x easier if the ps2 version wasn't running at 240p, because then you could actually see the guy. they must have realized that because they made the guy die of natural causes if you got frustrated and left the game for a few days

the camera in general made the original release of that game nearly unplayable

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

Kenny Logins posted:

ace combat 7 is pretty fun. flyin' a f-14d super tomcat with the two stage wings hell yeah

what are the mordern pc jet game options or am i just gonna install freespace 2 for the billionth time? has anything come out since 2006 that hasn't sucked complete rear end beside microsoft flight sim 2k20?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Kenny Logins posted:

I keep hoping for ace combat infinity 2 to both a) exist and b) have a pc version

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Casual Encountess posted:

what are the mordern pc jet game options or am i just gonna install freespace 2 for the billionth time? has anything come out since 2006 that hasn't sucked complete rear end beside microsoft flight sim 2k20?

DCS is the hyper realistic spergy combat jet simulator if you want to know what every single switch in an F/A-18 or MiG-21 cockpit does and also have to use them all.

If you're not up for that it's basically War Thunder :homebrew: or Ace Combat :japan:

There's also a new Ace Combat knockoff called Project Wingman that looks kinda neat. Haven't tried it yet

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

i randomly thought about this video just now and now you can too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0l3wOT9cSg4

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Sapozhnik posted:

Releasing a scrambled-around version of DS2 was an awful idea to begin with and SotFS was a bad execution of this bad idea as well.

Every single one of the fifty-odd item and enemy placement changes they made caused the game to be worse and not better.

DS2 is my favorite Fromsoft game, or at least the one that I got the most mileage out of, but cripes SotFS was bad.

I only played ds2 sotfs but it felt bad coming hot off ds1. like somehow the graphics were worse, the character felt unsresponsive and the art style & design of everything was totally out of place. then the game was way more tedious and generic. everyone is right to hate ds2

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

very excited to be upset at the new subnautica soon though!

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

no idea. ac7 is more arcadey than simmy which suits me fine. pew pew reeoow

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

de_dust/2 didn't have music because CS didn't have a soundtrack checkmate

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

Pile Of Garbage posted:

cs_italy would like a word with you

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

i only played CS for about ~6 months back in 1.3 you're gonna have to cut me some slack here!

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

DuckConference posted:

i randomly thought about this video just now and now you can too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0l3wOT9cSg4

it's a good vid

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

Pile Of Garbage posted:

i only played CS for about ~6 months back in 1.3 you're gonna have to cut me some slack here!

one of the weirdest things about being a “””””pro””””” gamer in like 2004 and walking away is coming back to this super strong competitive culture. its both amazing and way worse than i could ever imagine.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

one of the weirdest things about being a “””””pro””””” gamer in like 2004 and walking away is coming back to this super strong competitive culture. its both amazing and way worse than i could ever imagine.

there's this YT channel about esports that i watch (the score esports) because it's just fascinating how insane everything is. specific to CS in the last decade there has been:

• establishment of regimented leagues and majors with million dollar prize pools
  • multiple match-fixing scandals (biggest being ibuypower, also a recent ruling by the AU regional esports dinguses re ~10 players and 3 orgs)
  • a fuckton of pro players being exploited and sometimes abused by their org and management
  • pro players quitting because turns out you can make more money streaming
  • the emergence of an economy around fuckin weapon skins
  • multiple scandals involving dodgy promotion of skin gambling sites (yes that's right, people gamble their CS weapon skins on third-party sites in games like roulette or coin-toss)
  • pro players being VAC banned mid-game tournaments
  • and the one guy who was caught by admins using cheats at a regional tournament and when they went to intervene he tried to delete the cheat exes so they physically pulled the keyboard+mouse away from him

esports is loving insane. in many ways it's worse than regular sports because players are on contracts which only pay winnings instead of an actual salary. also valve must be making fucktons off this. oh and if you think this is nuts then lol just see dota/lol/siege/valorant/overwatch.

really the only OK esports are starcraft, aoe2 and tekken i guess (pakistani tekken is pure all hail arslan ash)

Pile Of Garbage fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Mar 5, 2021

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

and thats kind of the thing. being a competitive nerd in 2003 was like, some low key smash tournaments, some starcraft, and cs. like ok you could try to get on the korean starcraft circuit but the stuff I played in was definitely local scale. i used to compete in magic and pokemon tcg and people hadn't really started buying decks off ebay en masse, but there was just this general suckening in all my nerd poo poo around 2006 which is when i walked the gently caress away from all this nerd poo poo.

now it seems like its a huge stack of labor rights violations as people formed teams and all this tomfoolery happened. is adderall a regulated substance in most leagues?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

let’s all be honest here. there are no ok esports

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Pile Of Garbage posted:

there's this YT channel about esports that i watch (the score esports) because it's just fascinating how insane everything is. specific to CS in the last decade there has been:

• establishment of regimented leagues and majors with million dollar prize pools
  • multiple match-fixing scandals (biggest being ibuypower, also a recent ruling by the AU regional esports dinguses re ~10 players and 3 orgs)
  • a fuckton of pro players being exploited and sometimes abused by their org and management
  • multiple scandals involving dodgy promotion of skin gambling sites (yes that's right, people gamble their CS weapon skins on third-party sites in games like roulette or coin-toss)
  • and the one guy who was caught by admins using cheats at a regional tournament and when they went to intervene he tried to delete the cheat exes so they physically pulled the keyboard+mouse away from him

esports is loving insane. in many ways it's worse than regular sports because players are on contracts which only pay winnings instead of an actual salary. also valve must be making fucktons off this. oh and if you think this is nuts then lol just see dota/lol/siege/valorant/overwatch.

really the only OK esports are starcraft, aoe2 and tekken i guess (pakistani tekken is pure all hail arslan ash)

SC2 just had IEM katowice and it was pretty good. my boy parting made it to the semis before dropping one of the worst series of the tournament.

matti
Mar 31, 2019

Pile Of Garbage posted:

my HLSS griefing voicecom keybinds told a different story

e: when was 14! i don't want anyone to get the weird idea i would get kicks out of being an rear end in a top hat in online video games past immediate late goon puberty

matti fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Mar 5, 2021

matti
Mar 31, 2019

i like to watch counter-strike

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

matti posted:

my HLSS griefing voicecom keybinds told a different story

e: when was 14! i don't want anyone to get the weird idea i would get kicks out of being an rear end in a top hat in online video games past immediate late goon puberty

being an rear end in a top hat is literally the only point of playing online video games

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

further, there are good serious competitive games but they're always ruined when they become esports. AoE2 might go full esports in the near future which will be a RIP. at least i'll still be able to watch supcom2.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Pile Of Garbage posted:

jesus christ

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

i dont watch esports but i've seen pictures of the "champs" of dota tournaments and it's just 4 nerds i could take on single-handedly like that sculpture in norway that's the big guy beating rear end against a bunch of babies

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
korean starcraft is less nuts because of actual government-military support lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,