Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Royal Updog posted:

Tying to binge watch a show where British People attempt to be sexy and its taken me 4 weeks thus far because British People attempt to be sexy

Now we live in a post-Naked Attraction world, we don't need to try to be sexy anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

space marine todd posted:

Is this where I can ask for recommendations? My partner and I really enjoy two kinds of shows: weird/mystery box shows (Lost, X-Files, and Twin Peaks) and shows full of beautiful cinematography/music/Big Social Themes (My Brilliant Friend, The Young Pope, and High Maintenance).

We especially like shows if they manage to do both things (Utopia, Watchmen, and The Leftovers). Action can be fun (The Witcher and The Mandalorian), but that's less of a priority for us.

Suggestions for something new to watch?

Hannibal.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Is this where I can ask for recommendations? My partner and I really enjoy two kinds of shows: weird/mystery box shows (Lost, X-Files, and Twin Peaks) and shows full of beautiful cinematography/music/Big Social Themes (My Brilliant Friend, The Young Pope, and High Maintenance).

We especially like shows if they manage to do both things (Utopia, Watchmen, and The Leftovers). Action can be fun (The Witcher and The Mandalorian), but that's less of a priority for us.

Hannibal
The Expanse
Carnivale
The Knick

Are you okay with animated? If so Attack on Titan.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Gaunab posted:

My roommate is watching Survivor and I wish I could get into it but it just doesn't click with me. I think it's all the strategizing and alliances; it's ridiculous and stupid and I should be all over it but it just comes off as boring high school drama. Combine that with the "survivalist" setting and it makes the show seem more manufactured.

I guess I'll just stick with the 90 day fiance series even though they're just as manufactured.

i watched clips of the episode with the immensely short guy and the woman from the Phillippines and please tell me there is other as good content in there, I couldn't look away

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Try Undone.

e: also Upload

e2: also Undone might be the best show i've ever seen high, so there's that advice as well.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

For comedies I would recommend The Good Place. Its hits the mystery box and and the Big Social Themes checks perfectly. If you haven't already, do not read a thing about it before starting, just start, you won't regret it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Netflix's Pacific Rim anime, Pacific Rim: The Black, dropped today. From the first episode it looks like it takes place in an alternate timeline than the movies as the story follows a group of survivors 5 years after Australia is abandoned to the kaiju.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Dispatches from Elsewhere
Fargo
Legion
The Man in High Castle

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Shageletic posted:

i watched clips of the episode with the immensely short guy and the woman from the Phillippines and please tell me there is other as good content in there, I couldn't look away

are you referring to Survivor or 90 Day Fiance?

Leif's Triumph perhaps?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKgBBK1vV8k

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

swickles posted:

For comedies I would recommend The Good Place. Its hits the mystery box and and the Big Social Themes checks perfectly. If you haven't already, do not read a thing about it before starting, just start, you won't regret it.

I cannot stress enough that you will not regret it.

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

Lodge 49 checks off all your boxes

fancy stats fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Mar 5, 2021

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I just finished watching The Prisoner for the first time, and while I'd absorbed "Number Six is really Number One" through pop-culture osmosis before I ever saw an episode (and man, those episodes of Reboot and Aqua Teen Hunger Force make a lot more sense now), having now seen them all, I actually don't really get it. That didn't seem the point of Fall Out, like, at all. And yes, I saw the number on his door, I saw it in Many Happy Returns and thought it was neat foreshadowing, not literally the only piece of evidence apart from four very strange seconds in a very strange hour.

Can someone walk me through how that theory got started and picked up enough steam to be so widely reocgnized that I'd know it before I knew practically anything else about the show?

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

Shageletic posted:

Try Undone.

e: also Upload

e2: also Undone might be the best show i've ever seen high, so there's that advice as well.

drat, I was hoping no one would notice we are watching these shows high. The less gruesomeness, the better for our stoned idiot brains (Hannibal and The Knick are sadly out).

Thank you for all the recommendations! These all look great.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

drat, I was hoping no one would notice we are watching these shows high. The less gruesomeness, the better for our stoned idiot brains (Hannibal and The Knick are sadly out).

Avenue 5!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

If you don't mind anime, go watch Monster. It's a solid 74-episode mystery drama series set in 90's Germany tracking a serial killer.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Looten Plunder posted:

are you referring to Survivor or 90 Day Fiance?

Leif's Triumph perhaps?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKgBBK1vV8k

90 day fiance. I dont like reality shows but that blew my mind.

The temerity of this 50 year old 3 foot dude just ripping apart this beautiful woman, unreal.

But he gets his tho.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

You're gonna like Undone then probably. I watvhed it with my gf and its a great compromise btw us bc it didnt have any gruesomeness. Just spaced out weirdness.

Its like Waking Life, the TV show. So underrated

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Paramount + has a Real World Reunion series featuring the cast of the original NYC series and now I need P+.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

Mr Robot

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Dispatches From Elsewhere and Lodge 49 are especially good, though the mystery box parts are more upbeat and whimsical than the shows you listed.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/kickitupanacho/status/1367693483188883456

Sad to see this happen but he probably has multiple tchotchke induced TBIs

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Shageletic posted:

That's a lot of what 90 day fiance is. What you were watching was one of the latest seasons of Before the 90 Days which is probably the best series for craziness since it's usually showing the couples either meeting or trying to meet for the first time. Like there are times when it's obvious the producers may set up situations or people playing asprcts of themselves up you just can't stop looking. If you have hulu I recommend watching it.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
So I've heard they're making new Beavis & Butthead for Paramount+?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

So I've heard they're making new Beavis & Butthead for Paramount+?

They announced a new show with them as 40 year old dads and I think a movie was also announced.

Maybe Judge will remember how to do the Beavis voice this time.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

zoux posted:

Yeah this is kind of hosed.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

zoux posted:

how does a dude go from writing on Morel Orel to being a trumper qanoner

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Strange days we live in lads

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Rhyno posted:

They announced a new show with them as 40 year old dads and I think a movie was also announced.

He should get someone else if it screws up his throat or whatever.

Not sure how I feel about the whole idea, but the last revival was great.

Sumo
Jun 17, 2005

Frickin Jimmy Pesto

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

Rhyno posted:

40 year old Beavis probably speaks in a lower register or whatever

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I actually enjoyed the latest episode of Young Rock, the show is pretty fun when it deals with all the classic wrestlers, that should just have been what the show was about.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/mrfeelswildride/status/1367902173531492352

:hmmyes:

MarsPearl
Feb 19, 2021
Watched The Watch the other night and it brings up a question that a few adaptations have brought up, which is why you would bother to pay money for the rights to a fairly obscure property if you're going to change 95% of it.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Eh, Discworld hasn't quite broken into the mainstream but that doesn't make it obscure

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

MarsPearl posted:

Watched The Watch the other night and it brings up a question that a few adaptations have brought up, which is why you would bother to pay money for the rights to a fairly obscure property if you're going to change 95% of it.

Because the number of people you think will pay attention to the show solely because it's Discworld (and thus money you will make) is greater than the licensing fee costs.

How accurate the assumption and whatever voodoo math they use to quantify it is, your guess is as good as mine.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Oasx posted:

I actually enjoyed the latest episode of Young Rock, the show is pretty fun when it deals with all the classic wrestlers, that should just have been what the show was about.

5 minutes into the first episode I texted my friend saying he should absolutely check it out, all the old wrestling heads are awesome to see etc. At the end of the episode I had to retract my enthusiasm. Maybe it's just growing up on 80s wrestling is why that era of the show works so well for me, but it's far more interesting than the 90s stuff which to me doesn't really have a hook (I haven't seen the next episodes yet mind, so that might change).

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

MarsPearl posted:

Apparently he's the UK's second best selling author worldwide with 70 million books sold, so Pratchett is definitely not minor in the UK.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Plus, it avoids legal entanglements if a PART of your story infringes. Like, if you want to use one element and worry that using that will get you into a legal battle, it may be worth it just to license.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
The question the Watch brought to my mind is "considering Terry Pratchett is so very popular, why is getting a good adaptation of his take so much drat effort"

Hogfather was really good though, Susan and Teatime were very well cast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The things about that style of ironic, meta British writing that Pratchett and Douglas Adams use (and probably other guys that I don't know about) is that they are specifically using conventions used in novel writing to make structural jokes. You can't do that in the same way on screen, so you're going to miss, for example, the wry prose where he uses a turn of phrase literally. The plot and dialog is only part (and I'd say a lesser part) of what makes that style of writing funny and memorable. You'd have to do something that uses television storytelling conventions to get across the same sense of sardonic detachment - I don't know what that would be I'm not that clever.