Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Off-topic, am I alone in wanting a re-master of Radiant Dawn? Or is nostalgia just fooling me.

Sacred Stones too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
I think you could just port the GBA games to the Switch but full remasters, as opposed to remakes, for PoR and Radiant Dawn would be good.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Radiant Dawn need more than a remaster imo. Path of Radiance they could just update the graphics and QoL and make no gameplay or script changes though

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I'd love a Sacred Stones remake if only for having Mark Whitten voicing Lyon the whole game through.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Pureauthor posted:

I'd love a Sacred Stones remake if only for having Mark Whitten voicing Lyon the whole game through.

:hmmyes: Though the GBA art is perfect so really they could just voice the game and not change anything else.

Also on being forced to fight Edelgard that would require a lot more rewrites because otherwise it would feel contrived. Like the tragedy there wouldn't be fighting her, it's that you can't join her, because she's right even on the other routes.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

oh my god

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Alxprit posted:

They could have made anyone gay if they wanted to

This was a late reply but I'm sticking to it

:hmmyes:

next fe, everyone should be queer.... E v e r y o n e

e: also i think all the lords in 3h are cool, and awesome, and right

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

Radiant Dawn need more than a remaster imo. Path of Radiance they could just update the graphics and QoL and make no gameplay or script changes though
i think fe9's laguz could use some tweaking. honestly i think fates had the best mechanical implementation of laguz/manaketes, they had different weapons with different statboosts and penalties that were really substantial. most of fates' weapon stuff sucked but that made kitsune and wolfskin fun to use, imo. and it could do with like, one or two extra maps in the endgame. nothing super major maybe just like, make naesala's leanne rescue mission into a map instead of something that happens while you're fighting izuka's feral ones. twisted tower is a really bizarre second-to-last map just in terms of pacing, feels like it and the one where you fight bertram should have swapped places. and nerf canto obviously.

oh, and the game needs another axe user. the game has a weird issue where, like, heres every axe user in fe9.

titania: the most busted unit in the game
boyd: totally fine chapter 1 fighter, no complaints
*deadspace for 10 chapters*
kieran: axe cav.
*deadspace for 10 chapters*
largo: totally fine prepromo berserker
haar: totally fine prepromo wyvern lord.

jill and the cavs' promotions alleviate this somewhat, but still, a guy who joins between boyd and kieran's join chapters would alleviate the problem massively. there's a pirate in chapter 9 with an intro scene for no real reason, a relatively normal looking design compared to most generic pirate bosses, and battle and death quotes that paint him as more comedy relief than scourge of the seas. just make that guy playable and give him a couple comedy supports with like, devdan, largo, brom. easy enough fix.

speaking of supports implementing the cut ones would be ideal.

quote:

Stefan/Tauroneo, Sothe/Volke, Astrid/Tanith, Tanith/Volke, Ranulf/Tauroneo, Lucia/Titania, Marcia/Mia, Mist/Tormod, Mist/Volke, Muarim/Stefan, Nephenee/Mia, Oscar/Astrid, Reyson/Ulki, Kieran/Lethe, Gatrie/Bastian, Geoffrey/Kieran, Geoffrey/Bastian, Haar/Sothe, Haar/Ulki, Ike/Zihark, Janaff/Reyson, Janaff/Sothe, Shinon/Mist, Devdan/Makalov, Elincia/Jill, Elincia/Lucia, Elincia/Muarim, Elincia/Nephenee, Elincia/Tauroneo, Boyd/Devdan, Calill/Shinon, Brom/Geoffrey, Brom/Makalov

A few of these are pretty random (I've got no idea what Stefan/Tauroneo would be) but I like a lot of the ones here, and there's references to them in both FE9 and even FE10. (There's that gag where Mist is worried about Volke that Mist/Volke would presumably play off of, Sothe/Volke could explain why Sothe's so much better at knife fighting in FE10 besides just 'he got older,' Geoffrey/Kieran would explain why Kieran became Geoffrey's right hand man in FE10, etc.) And there's some I just wanna see, like Marcia/Mia or Calill/Shinon.

Oh, and a playable crow besides Naesala, but that one's just me liking crows, there's no real gameplay distinction between crows and hawks that isn't already expressed by the gameplay distinction between Ulki and Janaff.

But these are minor enough tweaks that it would still be a lot less than a full remake.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Mar 4, 2021

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

o yea wrt remastering the fes (it would rule if they were all on the switch!) i feel like 6-8 probably wouldn't need it besides like, turnwheels, danger zone, skipping enemy phase... uhh maybe remove the support limit or like, only have a certain number active at a time??

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i mean keep in mind its less about what they 'need' and more about what the company feels like they can profit from. fe6 (and honestly fe9) would absolutely be big money makers, theyve got roy and ike. theyd probably want them to be impressive and feel new so people can go 'this is impressive and feels new' in previews

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

Fe9 was made easier during its localization process and western release, right? If that's the case, what are y'all-who-played-it's thoughts on its hardest mode, especially in relation to the Lunatic equivalents in the other entries in the series? Is it a tough but fair escalation of the game's mechanics, or is it more just dumb and silly?

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Blue Labrador posted:

Fe9 was made easier during its localization process and western release, right? If that's the case, what are y'all-who-played-it's thoughts on its hardest mode, especially in relation to the Lunatic equivalents in the other entries in the series? Is it a tough but fair escalation of the game's mechanics, or is it more just dumb and silly?

Once you get past Oliver's wild ride every other chapter has like 6 siege tome sages you have to tediously bait out, it's pretty good before then though. I unintentionally iron manned it without losing Ike once so it's not like it's super crazy outside that one mega chapter Clash's bullshit

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Blue Labrador posted:

it's not very fun imo. Mostly the battles just take an absolute eternity.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Any FE9 remake needs to have Brom go by his Japanese name of 'Fatchap'

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
One fun quirk of Maniac mode is that since Tanith's reinforcements are generated using the same method used to generate enemies, they scale with difficulty. Her falcon knight is your strongest unit until nearly the end of the game.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

The big thing with FE9's Maniac mode is that there are an absolute shitload of enemy units, and they are annoyingly sturdy, so it just makes what is already the slowest game in the series even slower. It makes using units that aren't Titania and units abusing the crit bug forges something you want to avoid if only to maintain your sanity.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

https://twitter.com/Dt75Art/status/1367176251677552651

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

On the flip side, I'd also play a game where Eirika and Ephraim's roles are swapped

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

TriffTshngo posted:

On the flip side, I'd also play a game where Eirika and Ephraim's roles are swapped

There's a romhack like that, but i can't speak for the quality.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Booky posted:

next fe, everyone should be queer.... E v e r y o n e

I also just want more Eirika I like her.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
I would not play a game that villain swaps Eirika because that would be stupid.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Rerelease FE9 with a speedup button and the cut supports and I will buy it no questions asked.

Then give me FE10 but with actual supports.

Supports supports supports.

Supports.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Fire Emblem Megathread: Supports.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
Supports are overrated and not the best medium for character development.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

#BringBackBaseConversations

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Rimusutera posted:

Three Houses is incredibly overstuffed on support conversations and suffers especially from how many of them aren't delivered organically.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Right, coming off the heels of Fates and Awakening it’s Three Houses that is stuffed full of non-organic supports.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Supports are for seeing characters you like interact with each other. Please just put development in the main story

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Radiant Dawn doesn't necessarily need supports, but it does need some sort of dialogue involving the new characters. Like, I like Danved's character design and the brief bit of dialogue he does get, but an introduction cutscene does not a character make.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

With how many characters are in FE games, it's impossible to put development for all of them in the main story. Some FE games manage giving the characters besides the main lord(s) relevance in main story dialogue better than others, but still. FE9 is probably the ideal for that, and there's still people like Makalov who wouldnt even exist if supports didn't. I don't think there's anything wrong with putting character development in supports. Over relying on them is a problem, but three houses isn't at all an example of that imo.

edit: and fe10 absolutely needs supports. the fact is every fe game does, at this point. it doesn't need every character to have 20 or anything but name a personality trait of leonardo's. go ahead.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Endorph posted:

With how many characters are in FE games, it's impossible to put development for all of them in the main story. Some FE games manage giving the characters besides the main lord(s) relevance in main story dialogue better than others, but still. FE9 is probably the ideal for that, and there's still people like Makalov who wouldnt even exist if supports didn't. I don't think there's anything wrong with putting character development in supports. Over relying on them is a problem, but three houses isn't at all an example of that imo.

edit: and fe10 absolutely needs supports. the fact is every fe game does, at this point. it doesn't need every character to have 20 or anything but name a personality trait of leonardo's. go ahead.

Leonardo is the leader in blue, and does anything it takes to get his ninjas through.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

chiasaur11 posted:

Leonardo is the leader in blue.
lets be real half the time they just make raphael basically the leader

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
I finished Fire Emblem Thracia 776. It's good. The last map is very difficult. Thank god I had 6 A rank staff users to help me sling warps and rescues and sleeps and silences to get through that mess.

RIP to Alfred, who died in chapter 19 because I was having exactly none of it after having just recruited Xavier, and Conomore, who also died in chapter 19, because I didn't recruit him for similar reasons, and I assume that staying on the Empire's side means after the war he was summarily executed.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

permanent character death doesn't mesh well with having every character in story scenes after their introduction. I guess you could have everyone be "too hurt to fight" instead of dying but that gets weird after enough people die

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Rimusutera posted:

yeah i prefer large supports, personally

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Right, coming off the heels of Fates and Awakening it’s Three Houses that is stuffed full of non-organic supports.

"these things were worse so this thing isn't bad"

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Which are the bad 3Houses supports

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
tbh I dont think they're all bad per se but the usual complaint about how bloated they feel is how repetitive and tropey the C supports are, which kinda supports the general issue with supports as character development; you have to write them so they can be seen in any order and so many of them establish the same character traits in order for that to work.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Yeah I kinda wish the character writing was just... there and presented in a logical way rather than locking it behind supports

when you increase your support level your units should instead perform an increasingly complex series of handshakes/fistbumps commensurate with their support level

or now that we're firmly out of 2D-sprite-animation land maybe some unique little animations that play out in the attack/defense phases when you park your units in Support Range of one another

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i've always thought supports are a pretty logical way of handling that kind of thing, two characters hang out on the battlefield together often enough and they start chatting with each other. the way some supports frame the proximity as coincidence and others as orders from a commander is fun. i suppose less so in three houses where non-byleth supports are selected from a menu though