Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

OldMemes posted:

Oh 7, with his crazy plans that sometimes horribly backfire..... There are some good stories out of "the Doctor screws up badly" or "makes a huge moral mistake", but taking Klein as a companion still seems like a bad idea.

UNIT Dominion is on spotify - can you follow that standalone, or are there other UNIT audios you have to listen to?

UNIT: Dominion is standalone and excellent. Of course, the big twist is better-known now, but it *got* me when it was new.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

DoctorWhat posted:

UNIT: Dominion is standalone and excellent. Of course, the big twist is better-known now, but it *got* me when it was new.

100%. Go in as blind as you can, although that is difficult these days.

Dominion was what really turned on my love for Big Finish and sent me all the way down the rabbit hole.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Not only did I go in unspoiled, I firmly believed the twist was *legally impossible* until it happened.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

DoctorWhat posted:

Not only did I go in unspoiled, I firmly believed the twist was *legally impossible* until it happened.

I, too, was stunned to learn that UNIT was founded by Billy Bunter

(A prize for anyone who understands the specific reference)

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I always have a great time watching Time Flight because my brain just goes into full Airplane! mode.

I'm sure I remember a youtube video that edited the two together but I can't find it now.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Doesn't Timeflight have the Master in disguise for literally no reason other than "its a two parter and we need a cliffhanger". Listening to UNIT Dominion now on Spotify, and yep, its really good.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

OldMemes posted:

Doesn't Timeflight have the Master in disguise for literally no reason other than "its a two parter and we need a cliffhanger". Listening to UNIT Dominion now on Spotify, and yep, its really good.

It's a 4 parter. He spends 2 episodes in the disguise, including when no-one is around, the reveal is the end of ep 2.

The end of ep 3 is the Doctor going "well the master's won we can't do anything about it, sux to be us" based on absolutely nothing

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

MrL_JaKiri posted:

It's a 4 parter. He spends 2 episodes in the disguise, including when no-one is around, the reveal is the end of ep 2.

The end of ep 3 is the Doctor going "well the master's won we can't do anything about it, sux to be us" based on absolutely nothing

Ah, it's been a long time since I watched it.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

OldMemes posted:

Ah, it's been a long time since I watched it.

Some things are meant to be

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I quite enjoyed UNIT: Dominon. I was able to follow Klein's plot fine, Alexander McQueen was wonderful, and it felt like a big story in scope, without getting away from the point. The only thing that's odd is what was the point of Ace's appearance? She has a cameo which has no effect on the story?

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

marktheando posted:

I always have a great time watching Time Flight because my brain just goes into full Airplane! mode.

I'm sure I remember a youtube video that edited the two together but I can't find it now.
It was one of Farmergeddon's impressive mash-up videos, but unfortunately they seem to have disappeared from YouTube. (The only one I found was part 1 of his Five Doctors pisstake.) I've got it saved somewhere, but no idea exactly where.

Edit: oh hey, Google knows all!

Small Strange Bird fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Feb 27, 2021

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Payndz posted:

It was one of Farmergeddon's impressive mash-up videos, but unfortunately they seem to have disappeared from YouTube. (The only one I found was part 1 of his Five Doctors pisstake.) I've got it saved somewhere, but no idea exactly where.

Edit: oh hey, Google knows all!

Haha, fantastic, thank you. I had a look for it when I posted, but couldn't find anything.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Just finished The Two Masters, and I didn't enjoy it as much as Vampire of the Mind. Beevers Master and MacQueen Master bickering was fun, but MacQueen didn't feel like he was as well used as in other stories. The Doctor hardly felt like he needed to show up: the explanation for the Doctor getting out of the third episode cliffhanger was so convoluted that it was baffling. It's obviously a very Master-centric story, but it feels like the Doctor is just sort of there to stop the Master so the story can finish.

Though for three stories for a tenner, I feel like I got my moneys worth out of this trilogy. No behind the scenes bit in this one, which is odd, because And You Will Obey Me and Vampire of the Mind did? Oh well, never mind.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/jonnymorris1973/status/1367804116290990080?s=20

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Whats the current timeline for more new episodes

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Colin's looking pretty trim in this photo, good for him

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Big Finish is probably writing an episode based on that tweet right now.

CommonShore posted:

I think they were filming a few weeks ago, so probably later this year, but its not been announced yet, iirc.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

CommonShore posted:

Yeah, they were filming back in December, but then the national lockdown hit, so everything's pretty much on hold right now until ????

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

OldMemes posted:

If that's not a joke, check out Jubilee

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

OldMemes posted:

I think they were filming a few weeks ago, so probably later this year, but its not been announced yet, iirc.

There was actually a Firth Doctor audio where they were invaded by toy Daleks. "Renaissance of the Daleks".

https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/1367882687709646848?s=20

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Mar 5, 2021

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

After finding a broken Dalek in a lay-by, the Sixth Doctor is stuck watching a disarmed and disorientated Dalek until UNIT forces can get out of a local traffic jam and dispose of it. However, their debate is interrupted by a Dalek reclamation squad looking to strip the broken Dalek for parts.

Coming soon: RECYCLING OF THE DALEKS

Yes, I was joking. I do have Renaissance on CD somewhere, I remember not being that wowed by it, but finding it ok.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

OldMemes posted:

After finding a broken Dalek in a lay-by, the Sixth Doctor is stuck watching a disarmed and disorientated Dalek until UNIT forces can get out of a local traffic jam and dispose of it. However, their debate is interrupted by a Dalek reclamation squad looking to strip the broken Dalek for parts.

Yes, I was joking. I do have Renaissance on CD somewhere, I remember not being that wowed by it, but finding it ok.

Let's get them all out of our systems now, shall we?

Reconnaissance of the Daleks
Recollection of the Daleks
Representatives of the Daleks
Reproduction of the Daleks
Reluctance of the Daleks
Resistance of the Daleks
Recrimination of the Daleks
Regurgitation of the Daleks
Revenge of the Daleks
Recalcitrance of the Daleks
Responsibility of the Daleks
Reality of the Daleks
Realty of the Daleks
Redlining of the Daleks
Refulgence of the Daleks (look it up)
Ruination of the Daleks
Running out of title ideas of the Daleks

And, of course, the Apartment trilogy (which follows Realty of the Daleks):
Rent-free Apartment of the Daleks
Renovated Apartment of the Daleks
Relisted Apartment of the Daleks

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

NOUN OF THE DALEKS

I'm really shocked Revenge of the Daleks hasn't been used yet! It seems like an obvious story title.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

OldMemes posted:

I'm really shocked Revenge of the Daleks hasn't been used yet! It seems like an obvious story title.

i guess the Cybermen having already nicked that one leaves people avoiding it, maybe?

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
we can't have Revenge of the Daleks because none of the writers are bold enough to have the Doctor decapitate Davros while yelling "GIVE ME YOUR FACE!" at the end of it

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

OldMemes posted:

Nick Briggs has been incessantly PMing the mods ever since you made this post, demanding your contact info.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Homora Gaykemi posted:

we can't have Revenge of the Daleks because none of the writers are bold enough to have the Doctor decapitate Davros while yelling "GIVE ME YOUR FACE!" at the end of it

I just imagined Tennant saying this, and it fits perfectly with his Time Lord Victorious ego trip.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I know delays are unavoidable with COVID, but the fact that Time Lord Victorious still isn't all released over despite the story wrapping up months ago gives the event a very strange stop and start-y momentum.

The Big Finish Book Club this month is The Nightmare Fare. I picked it up because hey, 2.99.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/SiHodges79/status/1368247086660083714?s=19

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

This week's random Doctor Who was The Sea Devils, which had a lot more random bureaucratic nonsense in the first 3 episodes than I remembered, overall much less fun than memory said. Oh well.

Next week's is probably terrible, it's the first story with the second doctor and I'm sure he takes ages to find his feet

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 61 days!

MrL_JaKiri posted:

This week's random Doctor Who was The Sea Devils, which had a lot more random bureaucratic nonsense in the first 3 episodes than I remembered, overall much less fun than memory said. Oh well.

Next week's is probably terrible, it's the first story with the second doctor and I'm sure he takes ages to find his feet

Interesting bit of trivia I once read: IIRC, the BBC had a hard time sending royalty checks/back payments/whatever to the actress that played the Royal Navy captain's junior officer/secretary (June Murphy, who was also in Fury From the Deep, another nautical-themed adventure), as apparently when she'd retired from acting, she basically fell off the face of the earth (meaning, she'd never bothered to keep the BBC updated with changes of address, etc).

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I just got done ripping and digitizing backups of all my MST3k DVD sets after finding a few with unreadable disc rot, and I figured I'd do the same for my Doctor Who DVDs since a bunch are around the same age. Even worse, some of the early releases were distributed by WB and their discs from that era are particularly prone to rot. And sure enough, I've already run into it on a few discs. So if you're like me and also have a large physical media collection you may want to check your discs. I've run into issues with my Dalek Invasion of Earth, Claws of Axos, and Lost in Time sets, all early (~2002-2006) WB releases. Nothing yet on any of the 2Entertain discs or any of the UK R2 dvds.

I'm gaining a real appreciation for the BBC's kitchen sink philosophy when it comes to these discs though, because I've found a bunch of little easter egg clips and outtakes through ripping that I never noticed the first time I played them.

Big Mean Jerk fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Mar 11, 2021

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Power remains absolutely terrific, amazingly modern story (modern being "good 1970s" rather than actually modern) compared to the hartnell stories only a few weeks earlier

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I’m not a fan of the BBC Radiophonic Workshop to begin with, but I feel like they really went overboard in Claws of Axos. It’s just nonstop mashing on the synth and it’s almost unbearable.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I’m not a fan of the BBC Radiophonic Workshop to begin with, but I feel like they really went overboard in Claws of Axos. It’s just nonstop mashing on the synth and it’s almost unbearable.
Christ, can you imagine the BBC now paying for a dedicated department whose job it is to make weird electronic noises? "Surely this shocking waste of licence-payers' money would be better handled by the private sector (via one of my old Oxbridge chums)!"

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Big Finish is ending the monthly series after running it since 1999. That's crazy impressive: I've got copies of the Past Doctor Adventure books with ads advertising them on cassette tape (think they'll still send me Sirens of Time on cassette if I mail them a check?).

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

OldMemes posted:

Big Finish is ending the monthly series after running it since 1999. That's crazy impressive: I've got copies of the Past Doctor Adventure books with ads advertising them on cassette tape (think they'll still send me Sirens of Time on cassette if I mail them a check?).

275 stories; even more if you factor in the releases that are:

1) 2 two part stories
2) 1 one parter, 1 three parter
3) 4 one parters

Put it another way, including the TV movie in '96, in "classic" Who, there was only 170 stories.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Davros1 posted:

275 stories; even more if you factor in the releases that are:

1) 2 two part stories
2) 1 one parter, 1 three parter
3) 4 one parters

Put it another way, including the TV movie in '96, in "classic" Who, there was only 170 stories.

275 and a half, thank you very much

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

jivjov posted:

275 and a half, thank you very much

Yes, forgot about The Maltese Penguin (which was originally going to be numbered "34", despite being a subscriber bonus. The outcry from fans who didn't subscribe made BF change it to number "33 1/2")

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

OldMemes posted:

I think Sirens of Time is actually a free download at Big Finish at the moment, funnily enough!

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Power remains absolutely terrific, amazingly modern story (modern being "good 1970s" rather than actually modern) compared to the hartnell stories only a few weeks earlier

But The Power of Kroll WAS made in the 1970s! :haw:

Seriously though, yeah Power of the Daleks is really great, I love the guy who has gone unhinged trying the,"I am your serrrrvant!" line on the Daleks and their response.