Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 15 minutes!

Roosevelt posted:

i dont watch esports but i've seen pictures of the "champs" of dota tournaments and it's just 4 nerds i could take on single-handedly like that sculpture in norway that's the big guy beating rear end against a bunch of babies

imo the most embarrassing thing about dota is when gaben flashed his gut in front of tens of thousands of people at the 2018 international (it happens in the first 10 seconds no need to watch the whole thing unless you like dota and gaben idk):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4xYOmUwad0

he appeared again at the 2019 international but only showed a sliver of gut so i guess he learnt from his error

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

how am i supposed to take this seriously

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Roosevelt posted:

i dont watch esports but i've seen pictures of the "champs" of dota tournaments and it's just 4 nerds i could take on single-handedly like that sculpture in norway that's the big guy beating rear end against a bunch of babies
my favorite pro "athletes" are professional darts champions, every one of which looks like they earned their skills one pitcher of beer at a time

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007
Probation

Casual Encountess posted:

dude on the left has big flight of the conchords energy

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Pile Of Garbage posted:

imo the most embarrassing thing about dota is when gaben flashed his gut in front of tens of thousands of people at the 2018 international (it happens in the first 10 seconds no need to watch the whole thing unless you like dota and gaben idk):

he appeared again at the 2019 international but only showed a sliver of gut so i guess he learnt from his error

the dpc format has made watching dota a treat though. people who are only pros in name getting a shot, trying wacky things. division 2 is where it is all at.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Overwatch once again proving that CS is the superior game.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

it's really strange to see this stereotypical athletic uniform team photo but with a bunch of skinny nerds. like i'm just not used to seeing the clothes fitting that way. it's doing an uncanny valley thing.

yeah, exactly

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Pile Of Garbage posted:

there's this YT channel about esports that i watch (the score esports) because it's just fascinating how insane everything is. specific to CS in the last decade there has been:

• establishment of regimented leagues and majors with million dollar prize pools
  • multiple match-fixing scandals (biggest being ibuypower, also a recent ruling by the AU regional esports dinguses re ~10 players and 3 orgs)
  • a fuckton of pro players being exploited and sometimes abused by their org and management
  • pro players quitting because turns out you can make more money streaming
  • the emergence of an economy around fuckin weapon skins
  • multiple scandals involving dodgy promotion of skin gambling sites (yes that's right, people gamble their CS weapon skins on third-party sites in games like roulette or coin-toss)
  • pro players being VAC banned mid-game tournaments
  • and the one guy who was caught by admins using cheats at a regional tournament and when they went to intervene he tried to delete the cheat exes so they physically pulled the keyboard+mouse away from him

esports is loving insane. in many ways it's worse than regular sports because players are on contracts which only pay winnings instead of an actual salary. also valve must be making fucktons off this. oh and if you think this is nuts then lol just see dota/lol/siege/valorant/overwatch.

really the only OK esports are starcraft, aoe2 and tekken i guess (pakistani tekken is pure all hail arslan ash)

1 more big thing missed was that close to last year people discovered that there was a bug involving the coach's mode allowing you see the whole map while you're in the game and basically tell your players where people are. They did some digging and found that this bug existed for a couple of years and almost every team knew about it. It just wasn't disclosed until it came out in a big event.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

So basically the last 3+ years of CSGO match results are in question.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

also why are the teams all called generic lame poo poo like "uprising" and "fusion" instead of authentic gamer clan names

i wanna see -=[YB]=- Yoda's Balls facing off against :.SB.: StonerBoyz

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

AnimeIsTrash posted:

if every team knew about the bug/feature and was using it does that really change anything?

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Overwatch once again proving that CS is the superior game.

:allears: pasha

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Sagebrush posted:

if every team knew about the bug/feature and was using it does that really change anything?

this is like allowing everyone in pro football to use steroids so it turns into NFL Blitz

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

wow, that sure would be bad. if professional athletes used steroids i mean. imagine how different the game would look.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007
Probation

AnimeIsTrash posted:

lmao yeah when i started typing my post i was thinking of that but forgot about it towards the end. truly a staggering gently caress-up

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Sagebrush posted:

wow, that sure would be bad. if professional athletes used steroids i mean. imagine how different the game would look.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

i for one am seriously anticipating XFL 3

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Sagebrush posted:

I imagine if you're playing for thousands of dollars and weren't using the bug you'd be pissed. Also i'm pretty sure there is a no abusing bugs/glitches clause built in when you play in tournaments.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007
Probation
re the CS GO spectator mode exploit dealio, apparently they know who was taking advantage of it and issued sanctions to a bunch of coaches for abusing it (also i think valve VAC banned some of them): https://www.pcgamer.com/au/valve-bans-37-csgo-coaches-caught-cheating-with-a-spectator-bug/

also as i mentioned earlier a big match-fixing scandal came to light here in AU around the same time with 35 players receiving sanctions: https://www.pcgamer.com/au/35-csgo-players-banned-for-betting-on-matches/

the response to both of these issues came from the Esports Integrity Commission (ESIC) which has been around in one form or another since 2016 but only recently seems to have been getting proper recognition what with league franchise operators agreeing to support and enforce ESIC sanctions.

they're basically the NCAA of esports. all they do is protect the image and reputation of stakeholders whilst doing gently caress-all for the players. the only progressive movement supporting players that i've seen is some renegade politician in SK who has made it his mission to advocate for esports players who get hosed over by their orgs.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

It's speculated a lot of matchfixing is going on in Dota right now because the amount you can make for fixing a match is often much more than you'd get for getting anything other than first place. One team got an offer for like $100k to throw.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I imagine if you're playing for thousands of dollars and weren't using the bug you'd be pissed. Also i'm pretty sure there is a no abusing bugs/glitches clause built in when you play in tournaments.

well yeah but does the bug actually affect the outcome when everyone is using it and in the same way

I guess then the argument is that they're playing a different game than intended so the results are still meaningless

do big onstage esports tournaments not have referees? wouldn't it be obvious this was happening if someone had their eyes on all the competitor screens all or most of the time

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

FMguru posted:

my favorite pro "athletes" are professional darts champions, every one of which looks like they earned their skills one pitcher of beer at a time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHnBppccI0o

also my weird face recognition brain just pinged, is the judge who says 'game on' Jim Carter the actor who played 'Déjà Vu' in Top Secret! ..?

edit: lol yes it is

NoneMoreNegative fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Mar 5, 2021

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007
Probation

TOOT BOOT posted:

It's speculated a lot of matchfixing is going on in Dota right now because the amount you can make for fixing a match is often much more than you'd get for getting anything other than first place. One team got an offer for like $100k to throw.

i don't doubt that all. in fact i'd go as far as to say that match-fixing is rife in all competitive esports. there have already been a bunch of scandals re match-fixing, some of which had links to organised crime.

"ayyyy ohhh it's no big deal! we just want you to take a dive is all, for which you will be properly compensated. just do your usual picks, go mid and 'accidentally' feed, kapish?"

haveblue posted:

well yeah but does the bug actually affect the outcome when everyone is using it and in the same way

I guess then the argument is that they're playing a different game than intended so the results are still meaningless

do big onstage esports tournaments not have referees? wouldn't it be obvious this was happening if someone had their eyes on all the competitor screens all or most of the time

tournaments always have refs however apparently the exploit worked in a way that they detect in real time. ESIC has a proper write-up regarding the exploit, they detected exploitation retroactively by analysing demo files from past matches, also crucially they could not definitely state whether or not players knew about the exploit: https://esic.gg/esports-integrity-commission-findings-from-investigation-into-csgo-spectator-bug-exploitation/. furthermore they were aware that the exploit had been reported to tournament admins as far back as 2017 lol

ofc as i mentioned upthread ESIC exists more to protect the reputation of stakeholders than the actual integrity or fairness of the games. that isn't necessarily a bad thing but is worth remembering.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007
Probation
also if we're talking about CS GO exploits then we gotta talk about the Olofboost. at the dreamhack winter 2014 quarter finals fnatic used an "exploit" on overpass to peek over the map geometry near CT spawn to get a clear line-of-sight for the entire north side of the map right next to T spawn:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRY_TRipfpQ

this helped fnatic win and got them through to the semi-finals but of course poo poo exploded. LDLC filed a complaint against fnatic accusing them of pixel-walking, then fnatic filed a complaint against LDLC also for pixel-walking. eventually the tourney organisers said that fnatic and LDLC would have to re-play the third game of the set however fnatic at that point forfeited. LDLC ended up going on through to the finals and winning.

valve patched the exploit right after the tournament and put a sign at the spot on the map to commemorate it :3

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Pile Of Garbage posted:

i don't doubt that all. in fact i'd go as far as to say that match-fixing is rife in all competitive esports. there have already been a bunch of scandals re match-fixing, some of which had links to organised crime.

"ayyyy ohhh it's no big deal! we just want you to take a dive is all, for which you will be properly compensated. just do your usual picks, go mid and 'accidentally' feed, kapish?"

Oh without a doubt, there is real money at steak now that you can bet on esport outcomes. I used to follow starcraft quite a bit and the match fixing scandals completely blew my mind. It wasn't till I got older and realized these folks were probably paid poo poo and there weren't any long term prospect so why not take the L and make some money.

https://liquipedia.net/starcraft/Match_Fixing_Scandal
https://liquipedia.net/starcraft2/2015_Match-Fixing_Scandal

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Pile Of Garbage posted:

pannus powerup

who gives a poo poo honestly, being fat is way less embarrassing than being a billionaire

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007
Probation

mediaphage posted:

pannus powerup

who gives a poo poo honestly, being fat is way less embarrassing than being a billionaire

i kinda feel sorry for the guy, it really seems like he doesn't be up there on the stage, even more so the next year at the 2019 internationals:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIqmEJMCRgQ

dude was probably glad that covid gave him an excuse to not attend in 2020. ofc as you pointed and i agree rich people are the worst so gently caress em, i hope he falls down a storm drain.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Pile Of Garbage posted:

i kinda feel sorry for the guy, it really seems like he doesn't be up there on the stage, even more so the next year at the 2019 internationals:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIqmEJMCRgQ

dude was probably glad that covid gave him an excuse to not attend in 2020. ofc as you pointed and i agree rich people are the worst so gently caress em, i hope he falls down a storm drain.

i'm certain that if he really didn't want to be there he wouldn't be, see: being obscenely wealthy and in charge

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I would like to retract my previous statement and say that there is one ok esport and it’s simracing

it rules and if you’re good enough at it you can parlay that into a real racing career

ain’t no madden player getting recruited into the nfl.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007
Probation

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I would like to retract my previous statement and say that there is one ok esport and it’s simracing

it rules and if you’re good enough at it you can parlay that into a real racing career

ain’t no madden player getting recruited into the nfl.

i endorse this statement as long as it doesn't include Zwift.

what?

it's a bicycle racing game which you control by pedalling an IRL bicycle. also it's become an esport. and the esport competition rules have the random power-up feature enabled so it's like mario kart (people have won events purely due to lucky power-ups). also in competitions players aren't given the same in-game bikes, they can choose from any that they've unlocked (via in-game challenges) and of course they have diff stats with some being clearly superior.

inevitably this lead to a pro player cheesing an in-game challenge to unlock the best bike (challenge was to ride like 50km of some kinda elevation, dude just faked the bike inputs so the game thought he was riding full-speed forever). when tourney organisers found out about this he was disqualified lmao.

Zwift is Shaggar: The Game. it makes cycling awful.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

lol holy poo poo

oh dang my monitors off

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Pile Of Garbage posted:

also if we're talking about CS GO exploits then we gotta talk about the Olofboost. at the dreamhack winter 2014 quarter finals fnatic used an "exploit" on overpass to peek over the map geometry near CT spawn to get a clear line-of-sight for the entire north side of the map right next to T spawn:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRY_TRipfpQ

this helped fnatic win and got them through to the semi-finals but of course poo poo exploded. LDLC filed a complaint against fnatic accusing them of pixel-walking, then fnatic filed a complaint against LDLC also for pixel-walking. eventually the tourney organisers said that fnatic and LDLC would have to re-play the third game of the set however fnatic at that point forfeited. LDLC ended up going on through to the finals and winning.

valve patched the exploit right after the tournament and put a sign at the spot on the map to commemorate it :3

i watched this happen live and everyone was losing their minds lmao

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

i watched an esports video once by accident and now my youtube recommendations are foreverially filled with videos of people having long debates about speedrunning "controversies"

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

https://twitter.com/Nabeshin186/status/1367350969596542980

:madmax: face

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i lolled irl

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

press x to :madmax:

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

imagine if that was the last thing you saw before you ate a missile

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

i mean if it was all of them using unlimited amounts vs the 25%-75% that are using and keeping it quiet currently

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

lol linux and all that but this surprised me

https://boilingsteam.com/7000-windows-games-working-on-linux-with-proton/