Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

I want to get some super bassy headphones but that are still well balanced otherwise.
I got a lead on a pair of TH-X00 Ebony, the fact that they're closed is a bonus since that's also another characteristic I don't really have in my collection.

Has anyone listened to them? I've heard the TH-900 are like, ear-bleedingly bright but have absurdly good bass which is why I'm wondering if I should opt for the TH-X00 Ebony instead since it apparently retains a decent amount of the quality of bass without the huge treble spikes.

I have the original TH-X00s in whatever the normal wood was. They are nice and bass-y but not overly bright. They are a tad heavy and make my ears sweat. They were my daily drivers for years, and I only use the B&Ws that I use now because I got them as a ‘gift with purchase’ with my car, and since I don’t drive so much, it gives me that happy feeling. Dippy, but that’s the truth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Is there something similiar to the dt770s but with a removable cable? I think I'm cursed.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

everythingWasBees posted:

Is there something similiar to the dt770s but with a removable cable? I think I'm cursed.

akg k371

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
I've been looking up reviews and comparisons for wired earbuds for a month now, and I'm more confused as I was before. Like for every good review there's someone else saying the opposite, plus there's always the chance all of them are just paid for. I'm ready to just go "gently caress it" and pick a random one in my price range.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

busalover posted:

I've been looking up reviews and comparisons for wired earbuds for a month now, and I'm more confused as I was before. Like for every good review there's someone else saying the opposite, plus there's always the chance all of them are just paid for. I'm ready to just go "gently caress it" and pick a random one in my price range.

I went through the same looking for affordable Bluetooth headsets. You can’t read the reviews anymore , they’ll destroy your mental health. And on dedicated fora, people only talk about super high end. Unfortunately I did just end up buying whatever and I had to send them back because they were poo poo.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Same. I bought this paid of Cambridge Audio bluetooth earbuds that the review sites were praising to the high heavens and I was completely appalled by how awful they were. Talked about it in this thread for a bit. Worst earbuds I've ever owned, and I'm counting some of the cheapest Chi-Fi on the market for that. Those things were nearly a hundred dollars and I've gotten better audio and quality from 20$ no-name products. Headphone reviews are worthless.

Digital Flower
Sep 5, 2011
OK, thanks to the pandemic I'm stuck in a room with my partner almost 24/7. Clacky keyboard, frequent meetings during the day; and same clacky keyboard, with a side of furious clicking and Discord chatter in the evening.
That's on top of all the other noise. I can't concentrate for poo poo, and it is a small house, so relocating to another room isn't an option.

I think I need some wired ANC headphones that preferrably don't have to be in bluetooth mode to sound good, since I'd like to use them for PC gaming as well. Juggling multiple pairs of headphones is undesireable.

I'm not very clued up on this audio stuff, so I'm not sure what I'm looking for, but I'd appreciate any suggestions. Price range can be flexible.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Although you can't take any specific reviewer's opinion uncritically, I like crinacle's reviews as he gives you a response graph and his rating for tonality and technical grade. I also liked Tyll Hertsens at Inner Fidelity before he retired. Although I didn't necessarily agree with all his choices, he used a combination of objective measurements and subjective listening in a way that would give you a good idea of whether to try out an IEM or headphone.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Yuns posted:

It's the Drop Sennheiser HD8XX based on the HD800S but for $1100 instead of $1399

https://drop.com/buy/drop-sennheiser-hd-8xx-headphones/talk

Not the crazy good deal that the 6xx is by a mile.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Is this thread able to have a mature conversation about the AirPod Max yet?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
It did the last time AirPods came up, but I'm not sure what you consider a mature discussion, I guess.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
They’re fine?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Since mentioning AirPodMax won’t result in an angry mob showing up on my doorstep:

Anyone here have and daily drive them? I am a bit concerned about weight (but I have a paid of TH-X00s and B&W P7s), but I think they would be good for my workflow. The AirPod Pros sound nice but don’t last long and one or the other of them frequently doesn’t charge in the case (poor seating).

I bounce between 4 different apple devices throughout the day.

Availability and nosebleed price aside, any thoughts?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Ultimate Mango posted:

Since mentioning AirPodMax won’t result in an angry mob showing up on my doorstep:

Anyone here have and daily drive them? I am a bit concerned about weight (but I have a paid of TH-X00s and B&W P7s), but I think they would be good for my workflow. The AirPod Pros sound nice but don’t last long and one or the other of them frequently doesn’t charge in the case (poor seating).

I bounce between 4 different apple devices throughout the day.

Availability and nosebleed price aside, any thoughts?

I’d probably wait for Gen 2 myself

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
They're about equivalent with the bose 700 or sony xm3. If it weren't for covid I'd say just go try them all out and see which you like.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

If you're concerned about the weight, they might not be great for you. They clock in on the upper range for over-ear headphones at 380 grams, which is 100 grams more than the WH-1000XM3 from Sony, which (as Dr. Fishopolis says) are otherwise comparable. They're also more than twice as expensive.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Cardiovorax posted:

They're also more than twice as expensive.

Yeah for real. I would have bought them already but they are ridiculously priced.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

I guess the counterpoint I would make is if you’re switching between 4 Apple devices all day, it’s probably worth the extra cost and weight to make that switching less fiddly.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
I'm reducing my headphone collection down to my Hiditions for home and a set of Galaxy Bud Pros for travel. I'd like to sell my Ety ER4SR, Shure SE535LTD and B&W P7. Is there a thread in Inspect Your Gadgets for audio equipment sales? Or do we just post it to SAMart?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I think that kind of thing has to be posted in SAmart.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice

busalover posted:

Blon BL-03. I don't think I'll ever buy another set of earphones again.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I just got the Softears RSV Reference Sound 5, a 5BA set. Quite honestly this is an extremely high level tuning with a pretty high price.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
I bought a pair of Beats Solo Pros because they were down to $190 CAD on Amazon for some reason, and they arrived with 0% charge. Isn’t that… bad? I thought optimal storage for lithium batteries was ~50%?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
You really don't want lithium batteries to be at zero charge, as it can cause damage. That said, it may not *actually* be at 0%, it's just being reported that way so you know that the headphones are unusable. It's not an uncommon practice.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

The dates on the box are all 2019, it seems like maybe they’re old and the battery ran itself down naturally?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yeah, a state of total discharge on a raw unprotected lithium cell (like what RC people use in their cars and planes and quadcopters) is quite different from 0% charge as reported by an electronic device with a lithium cell inside. The former can be dangerous because lithium cells at very low voltage begin to produce hydrogen and swell up. The latter is not dangerous because the voltage points that the electronic device reports as 0% and 100% are still well within the safe range for the battery. The circuitry cuts off the battery when it hits the programmed "empty" point, preventing it from discharging any further and getting damaged.

For this reason, all of the battery janitoring that people do with their phones and things these days is almost completely pointless. It doesn't hurt the phone to sit at 0% because the circuitry prevents over-discharge. It doesn't hurt to leave it plugged in and charging because the charging cycle watches the battery and adjusts the current to prevent overcharge. The specific state of charge you leave it in for storage doesn't matter because the battery can't get outside a safe voltage. The battery will wear out over several hundred to a few thousand charge cycles, but that's it and you can't do anything to make it go faster or slower.

99% chance that your headphones are fine. Just charge them up and forget about it.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Mar 6, 2021

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Wrong on several counts, Sagebrush. Constant fast charging isn't great, self-discharge can get you to dangerous territory, charging the battery when it's too cold can destroy them. And the battery absolutely can get outside a safe range when you store them empty for an extended period of time.

That being said, it's probably fine.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

None of those things are relevant here.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
headphones thread you're the best hope I can think of

Got a new Plantronics headset for work. It has a mute alert. Using their "Hub" software, I can get that mute alert down to a single beep.

But I want it loving gone. How do I make it go away?

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

A quick google shows this method. Have you already tried it?

https://tomtalks.blog/2019/03/disable-mute-unmute-noises-and-toasts-in-plantronics-hub/

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

The Solo Pros are probably going to get returned because they barely fit on my head, the metal edge of the band digs into my scalp pretty hard. The noise cancellation is meaningfully worse than my Bose sets, but I was expecting that. I’ll see how they handle traffic noise while I’m walking tomorrow then make up my mind.

Also, $349 MSRP and they couldn’t afford an on/off button? Is mandatory fold-to-turn-off a feature anyone has ever asked for?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Remember Beats are made by Apple, getting rid of useful buttons is very much their thing (the Airpods Pro don't turn off fully unless they're in the nappy case).

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
Normally with a thread like this I'd just grab whatever the OP recommends, but I'm not sure I even remember September 2013, like at all.

I need a new set of 3.5mm wired headphones that are comfortable during extended wear. They will see use in my computer for both Zoom classes and gaming. I'll also want to use them in my PS4 and eventually a PS5.Mic not needed. On-ear with adjustable frame is probably best; my head is gigantic. Isolation is a luxury that I would appreciate but not pay extra for. I don't need ~EPIC PRO GAMER HD SOUND~ bullshit and the only driver I care about is my basic vanilla Realtek HD Audio software.

My current headset is heavy duty, emphasis on "heavy", and its mic jack isn't even occupied because I use my Blue Yeti. Willing to spend $50-$75 USD. Any pro recommends, thread?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
that budget is a bit tough, maybe AKG K361? Koss KPH30i is a good option for open back and less money.

you'd get a shitload more bang for your buck with IEMs at that price, the BLON 03 or the Tin T2 Plus would blow away anything else you could get and give you better isolation for that matter.

we really need a new OP

e: Oh jeez I completely forgot about the CB-1s, those are great.

Dr. Fishopolis fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Mar 9, 2021

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
KPH30i is good for budget option, the aforementioned iems are good, I’d also recommend the Sony MDR-7506 for a very hard wearing high quality headphone for long-term listening. It’s currently $99 but it often gets down to $75-80 if you can push your budget there.

$99 also opens you up to the Audio Technica ATHM40x ($88 at BH right now!) which are also super durable and excellent for the money. Yeah they’re both above your budget by $10-20 but your budget is honestly awkward for what you’re asking, OP.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I still recommend the Status Audio CB-1 Closed Back Studio Monitor Headphones for $63.99 on Amazon.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...XERhfrayiSFZ3p8

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
I like using my Sennheister Game One's for phone calls since they are comfy, but the stupid usb c to 3.5mm dongle is so annoying. Always comes loose in my pocket and demon noises follow.

I've got a pair of Sony WH-1000XM3 I use for travel so I thought I'd try them out for phone calls. I tried recording some audio to test sound quality with a simple recorder app, but it used the mic on my phone rather than on the headset. Looking at the Sony docs I saw this:

quote:

The headset only supports normal incoming calls. Calling apps for smartphones and computers are not supported.

Does that mean I can't use this headset for Zoom / WhatsApp calls?

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

MarcusSA posted:

I still recommend the Status Audio CB-1 Closed Back Studio Monitor Headphones for $63.99 on Amazon.

Those look like a Pro Buy, thanks!

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

MarcusSA posted:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...XERhfrayiSFZ3p8

Is there a similar version to these that include a microphone?

Peachfart fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Mar 11, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
I kind of want a pair of Bluetooth buds for work, my main headphones at the moment are perfect for home/walks and such, Sennheiser momentum wireless 2 (over ear).

But being full sized cans they are a bit bulky to be taking to work everyday, plus I can’t really keep em with me when I’m going to job sites or such so my mind is going to some Bluetooth buds

The obvious choice being the Sennheiser momentum 2 in ear because Sennheiser p much always ends up being the best quality audio for the price range I’m interested in, but I’m hesitating because I already have great audio cans for home use or typical traveling, so should I get something more feature/call oriented like the AirPod pro? Being able to yell at Siri to call people or set timers for me would legit be helpful when I’m working.

That seems like the more practical choice when I’m specifically getting them for use when the big headphones are impractical, I just have the nagging feeling whenever I am listening to music at work with them I’ll be disappointed I just didn’t go for the better quality audio. I do have an iPhone but I don’t have much other apple stuff so compatibility isn’t a huge deal but I probably would use Siri occasionally and I do deal with a moderate amount of calls throughout a day.

Aside from the audio vs utility trade off another consideration is build quality, googling around I feel like I’ve seen more complaints about the AirPods crapping out in under a year than I’m quite comfortable with, but ya never know people do mostly only complain if things go wrong.

Any advice or I suppose wildcard third options?