Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Jupiter Ascending is dumb as hell and it rules. It has a bee man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I liked Jupiter Ascending just fine. It had a big energy that I enjoyed. Also that sunset fight over Chicago was *nuts* from an aesthetic perspective.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
In my mind's eye Jupiter Ascending generally looked absolutely loving gorgeous which goes a long way to appeasing my tastes. I haven't rewatched it but maybe I should.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

https://twitter.com/ZackSnyder/status/1367886219615432706

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
Jupiter Ascending has a scene where a dog/guy shoots a gun and the gun barks so it rules

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

Basebf555 posted:

Jupiter Ascending has it's supporters in CineD(I'm one of them), but god help you out in the real world if you ever say you like it. People get hostile about it, they loving hate Jupiter Ascending.

I love that god drat movie and have shown it to about 5 seperate people who also ended up loving it. Its got issues, mainly how they treat Mila Kunis but its a pulp 80s/90s scifi space opera novel brought to life in a way I have rarely seen in cinema and its insane it exists at all or that any studio gave anyone that much money to make an original IP like that.

I still think that Chicago aerial sequence is one of the most well staged abd choreographed action set pieces of the decade.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I liked Jupiter Ascending just fine. It had a big energy that I enjoyed. Also that sunset fight over Chicago was *nuts* from an aesthetic perspective.

Yup.

The way it so expertly geographically descends from the top of that skyscraper and epicly makes its way closer and closer to the streets, then under the water and back up and then crescendos and finishes with their feet finally touching ground is fantastic. Its so loving well done and its just pure The Matrix Wachowski genius on display.

AccountSupervisor fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Mar 5, 2021

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
A filmmaker(s) who has the clout to command a huge budget AND complete creative freedom to do whatever they want with it is nothing to sneeze at. There's a limited amount of films that have ever been made under those circumstances and I pretty much enjoy them all on some level. I saw Heaven's Gate and thought it was excellent, even despite it's flaws.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

You'd think they'd save Superman for last, really

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Basebf555 posted:

A filmmaker(s) who has the clout to command a huge budget AND complete creative freedom to do whatever they want with it is nothing to sneeze at. There's a limited amount of films that have ever been made under those circumstances and I pretty much enjoy them all on some level. I saw Heaven's Gate and thought it was excellent, even despite it's flaws.

To be honest - and I'm not trying to be a doomposter here - I'm getting big time Heaven's Gate vibes from ZSJL. I too enjoy Heaven's Gate and think that it's overall a worthwhile film, but also I was alive and can remember when it came out and got relentlessly poo poo on for like, 2 years for being too big, too epic, too expensive for what it was. Seriously even Mad Magazine was trashing that film. Then once some time elapsed and people were able to approach it on its own terms it was considered pretty good and definitely very unique! Unfortunately, I think that's the arc that ZSJL is gonna take.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Basebf555 posted:

Jupiter Ascending has it's supporters in CineD(I'm one of them), but god help you out in the real world if you ever say you like it. People get hostile about it, they loving hate Jupiter Ascending.

This worst is when they lead with " i heard it was bad." Had someone say this to me about macgruber, then they called a week later to say it was good. Ironically, that's what killed speed racer.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

It that line from Jonathan Kent "Fly son, it's time." new?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Mr. Apollo posted:

Yes it is.

bushisms.txt posted:

This worst is when they lead with " i heard it was bad." Had someone say this to me about macgruber, then they called a week later to say it was good. Ironically, that's what killed speed racer.

There's so much of this that goes around. Good fun unique movies that people would enjoy. The well gets poisoned by the absolute worst loudmouths.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Mr. Apollo posted:

Chris Terrio really likes having characters talk to their dead dads, doesn't he?

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

To be honest - and I'm not trying to be a doomposter here - I'm getting big time Heaven's Gate vibes from ZSJL.

Definitely thought this post was going in a different direction.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Robot Style posted:

Chris Terrio really likes having characters talk to their dead dads, doesn't he?

That's kind of Superman's thing.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

bushisms.txt posted:

I had a conversation with someone who said that they never watched 300 or Sucker Punch, but did see the Maggie Mae Fish video on Zack Snyder.

They still felt like they could post with authority that Zack Snyder is a misanthrope and an objectivist.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~
https://twitter.com/uberkryptonian/status/1367901158954700801?s=21

54 tracks, goddamn

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

To be honest - and I'm not trying to be a doomposter here - I'm getting big time Heaven's Gate vibes from ZSJL. I too enjoy Heaven's Gate and think that it's overall a worthwhile film, but also I was alive and can remember when it came out and got relentlessly poo poo on for like, 2 years for being too big, too epic, too expensive for what it was. Seriously even Mad Magazine was trashing that film. Then once some time elapsed and people were able to approach it on its own terms it was considered pretty good and definitely very unique! Unfortunately, I think that's the arc that ZSJL is gonna take.

I see what you're saying but this is basically Zack Snyder's films in general. And honestly, it's only 4 hours because this film was likely to never happen so I imagine things he would have otherwise cut he decided to leave in there to get the most out of this film and give fans one last hurrah (personal hopes of sequels not withstanding). If the loudest vocal minority didn't rush to dethrone Prequel-era and post TLJ Star Wars fans as the worst and most obnoxious and if WB wasn't being run by spineless cowards, we'd probably be getting the third 2 hour 30 minute film of the franchise. I'm looking forward to this film a whole hell of a lot but I really don't need a 4 hour film, in any genre.

Roth posted:

I had a conversation with someone who said that they never watched 300 or Sucker Punch, but did see the Maggie Mae Fish video on Zack Snyder.

They still felt like they could post with authority that Zack Snyder is a misanthrope and an objectivist.

The best way to combat this stuff, in my opinion, is show them your favorite clips of any of his films. I honestly think the best clip to show anyone who gets their opinions from youtube weirdos is to show them the closet scene from Man of Steel. It never ceases to get me.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

They also transcribed all the notes from the exhibit (?) that was put on with Zack's notes and storyboards by Jim Lee for his 3 movie JL arc.

https://twitter.com/UberKryptonian/status/1367646325089648646?s=20

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Superman throwing away Clark Kent - only realizing he needs that side of himself, too - is a great arc. I would have loved to have seen it.

Edit: oh man this is cool. The Riddler discovers the anti-life equation?!?

Edit2: THE LAST SUPPER OF THE JUSTICE LEAGUE?!?! Oh man I want to see this....

Edit3: Superman getting cucked by Batman is hysterically funny to me.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Mar 5, 2021

BiggestBatman
Aug 23, 2018
I love Jupiter Ascending I've always loved Jupiter Ascending

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

BiggestBatman posted:

I love Jupiter Ascending I've always loved Jupiter Ascending

yeah i just can't hate a movie where Sean Bean explains that he can instinctively detect royalty because he's part bee

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Thing is, Justice League has already spent several years as a punchline. There's not that much more schadenfreude to milk out of "Warner sent a bit more good money after bad" unless you're yucking it up to the internet video crowd. If the cut is still not wildly appreciated, worst case scenario it becomes like the Alien 3 Assembly Cut - an "oh, there's also that version" addendum.

Also Jupiter Ascending is good and deserves a 4-hour cut.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Edit3: Superman getting cucked by Batman is hysterically funny to me.

Once again in comments, the same people who otherwise view the DCAU as the height of understanding Batman and Superman are saying that Snyder doesn't get the characters and Lois would never be with Batman, and I'm now convinced that I'm from another universe where I saw these things happen before, unlike this one where they apparently didn't.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Basebf555 posted:

I hate this movie entirely because of Redmayne.

I also hate Redmayne entirely because of this movie.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

CelticPredator posted:

It's an absurd performance that would be out of place in almost any other movie but for Jupiter Ascending I think it works.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Darko posted:

Once again in comments, the same people who otherwise view the DCAU as the height of understanding Batman and Superman are saying that Snyder doesn't get the characters and Lois would never be with Batman, and I'm now convinced that I'm from another universe where I saw these things happen before, unlike this one where they apparently didn't.
Pretty much every "X would never do that" has been done by X in another movie/comic/cartoon/tv show/1940s serial, Snyder is just crazy enough to do all those things in the same movie instead of going along with the generic storylines known in the mainstream

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Basebf555 posted:

It's an absurd performance that would be out of place in almost any other movie but for Jupiter Ascending I think it works.

That movie also just gets under my skin. It’s everything I don’t like wrapped into a long rear end package.

Glad the Wachowskis made it but idk

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Roman posted:

Pretty much every "X would never do that" has been done by X in another movie/comic/cartoon/tv show/1940s serial, Snyder is just crazy enough to do all those things in the same movie instead of going along with the generic storylines known in the mainstream

It's funny because that's like the entire driving force of what comics are and have been for decades. "Our readers will never expect this character to do X, so in this storyline we're gonna have him do it!!!" But these characters have now been present in film for so long that the majority of fans no longer have any real knowledge of the source material. In comics they had to come up with new and interesting ways to surprise people, it's not the same as putting out a Batman or Superman film once every 5 years when people are so hungry for it that they'll happily swallow the same old poo poo.

BiggestBatman
Aug 23, 2018

CelticPredator posted:

You do you bro but thats one of the funniest performances of the last ten years

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

There is a straight line between Pacific Rim and Jupiter Ascending.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

That arc is basically tradition for Snyder films. Dawn, 300, SP, Watchmen, BvS, even MoS to an extent, all got nerds outraged because they went in with preconceived ideas and once they could put those aside, and engage with the films on their own merits (or when they got the Snyder cut of those films) the films got a lot better received.

Roth posted:

Absolutely bizarre to have the audacity to think they're experts on film they didn't see because some dipshits on the internet did a dumb video on it. Someone the other day called Zack and his fans fascist because she had seen that stupid video.

My favorite part of the whole mess has been that p there were lots of replies to Maggie from muslims asking her not to use them for her own lovely agenda and that s they vehemently disagreed with her take that Zacks work was islamophobic. She responded like any good ally and just ignored and blocked them :waycool:

CelticPredator posted:

What on earth do you have against him?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I have no idea what I'd have made of the theatrical version of Sucker Punch. No Love Is The Drug performance? No scene of meeting the High Roller? Outrageous! I barely know what I made of the director's cut, really

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

McCloud posted:

What on earth do you have against him?

You know when people say “ugh his face annoys me” that’s Eddie for me. Every time I see him in a film he’s so dang weird.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

That weird period of 2013 - 2017 where clusters of critics just went off the deep end (and I don't necessarily mean about Snyder, they would kook out over all kinds of stuff). Remember when Film Crit Hulk was a thing?

HULK GREW UP IN BOSTON.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

See that loving owns for a space aristocrat weirdo.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

CelticPredator posted:

Gamers rise up Batman

Batmans rise up

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

CelticPredator posted:

You know when people say “ugh his face annoys me” that’s Eddie for me. Every time I see him in a film he’s so dang weird.
Counterpoint: he'd be an amazing live-action Dib.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Just seeing this I can hear him doing his "hoarse whisper, hoarse whisper... YELL!" syntax, and just the memory is making me grin.