Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

haveblue posted:

Yeah, this is where I am too, I'm not sure when I'm allowed to start blocking/dodging and how the game communicates when that would be a good idea. I can see the enemies calling out their attacks but they always seem to do it when Cloud is already locked into a combo.

I just got my first game over, dying to an incredibly buff dog, and it looks like the story is about to pick up again.

Discovery quests are basically optional character moments, right?

Some are, some are basic fetch quests, ect. Still, its worth it to do all of them. Some have some neat story beats, but all will give you items and XP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
I'm hoping to finish Ys VIII this weekend. Awhile ago my local save got corrupted and I had to revert to my cloud backup, which caused me to lose a few hours progress. I put it down after that happened, but so glad I decided to get back into it.

A Loaf of Bread
Mar 19, 2008
Welp, after flirting with the idea of trying to get a PS5, I’ve decided to just buy a PS4. One big factor in the decision was the fact that I can actually buy a PS4 without having to track restocks hoping to get lucky enough to buy one, and another was the fact that PS5s are huge and ugly and I don’t want one my home. I figure if I like the PS4 I can always buy a PS5 when they inevitably release a non-huge version in a few years. I haven’t played a PlayStation since the original one. I’m excited!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Niiice, it has so many good games

A Loaf of Bread
Mar 19, 2008

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Niiice, it has so many good games

The beauty of finally getting a system at the end of its run!

Handsome Wife
Feb 17, 2001

I lucked into a PS5 after not having a PS4 and the number of absolutely amazing PS4 games to play is just wild. It's basically exclusively a "catch up on last gen" machine at this point.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I think my PS4 controller might be dying. I'm having a hard time getting it to charge.

I'm in the US, any suggestions on places to try and get another one cheap? The last three pages were about how the PS4 has barely gone down in price at all so I'll believe everyone if you say there isn't really anywhere selling them cheaper than usual.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Are you charging it from the PS4 itself? I can 100% of the time get it to charge from the console USB ports and then like 5% of the time from anything else.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Rinkles posted:

I'm liking Cloud more than I was expecting to.

He's the absolute quintessential FF hero.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

He's the absolute quintessential FF hero.
Damning with faint praise.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Cardiovorax posted:

If you say so.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Ok. Dinner eaten. Time to boot up dark souls. :hai:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Are you charging it from the PS4 itself? I can 100% of the time get it to charge from the console USB ports and then like 5% of the time from anything else.

Yeah, I've always used the PS4 to charge it. It's weird, it has to be sitting in some particular position to get it to charge at all for like a week now. I thought it was just the cord was bad so I swapped it for another one and it's still having the same problem.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Cardiovorax posted:

Cloud owns

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Sakurazuka posted:

Cloud owns

"Nailed it, I know, thank you, moving on"

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Sakurazuka posted:

Cloud owns
FF7R does a great job of making him likable and funny, but let's not pretend like Final Fantasy hasn't had a lot of protagonist characters that make everyone go "oh god, that guy" as soon as they're brought up in conversation. Squall, Tidus, Zell, just to mention a few. I just thought it was a funny way to praise the character.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Zell isn't a protagonist and most people like Tidus, have you actually played any FF games?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

He's a member of your party and makes him a protagonist character. So yeah.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Kimahri, the true unsung protagonist of FFX.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

hornless...

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Should I have said Vaan? Nobody liked Vaan, right?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Vaan is fine but he's also not the main character of XII.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

that iconic line "I'm Captain Basch fon Ronsenberg of Dalmasca"

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Arist posted:

Def Balthier

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Kirios posted:

Def Balthier

Balthier is the loving best and he's got more of a claim than Vaan, but despite what he might tell you he is in fact not the leading man. The main character in XII is Ashe, folks.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Debating the true protagonist of FF12 is difficult when the first step is remembering anything about FF12.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

Debating the true protagonist of FF12 is difficult when the first step is remembering anything about FF12.

https://twitter.com/dreamboum/status/1290122111470538752

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Arist posted:

He's the player character perspective, wether that makes him the protagonist is debatable

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Alexander O. Smith is so loving good

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Arist posted:

Balthier is the loving best and he's got more of a claim than Vaan, but despite what he might tell you he is in fact not the leading man. The main character in XII is Ashe, folks.
In all fairness, how many people who played that game made it far enough to actually get her in their party? I genuinely can't remember if I ever did.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

lol i like how its penelo who just charges straight in.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
YOU are the main character of final fantasy XII. it is you who controls your credit card information, after all! life is an jrpg.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
The Brady Guide for ffIX is so famously bad with "look on this website for the answers!"

While the one for ffVIII was almost nessecary to navigate the draw system. It made min maxing your party to opness super easy.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I beat ff13 but bounced off ff12 three separate times

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I finished both but FF12 is unplayable without 4x speed and I liked 13 better.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
FF8 was really easy though, I didn't look up anything when I played it and did just fine

Most FF games are that way which I appreciate

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I had to restart FF8 because I only used three characters all game and it took away one at the start of disc 4 and I couldn't do it the boss with two normally levelled characters and one at like... level 5

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

FF8 is why I always ask now "Will this JRPG force people in/out of your party and do people level out of party"

I'm glad that, for all the problems Yakuza LAD has with its rpg combat, it doesn't do this too badly

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

On one hand endless remakes are bad and the shareholders in charge of game development are strangling all the creativity out of things now

But on the other hand, I want a FF8 remake that highlights the good parts of it and is very Jojo's Bizarre Adventure in your face about what everyone's deal is abandons subtext and spends a lot of time highlighting that Selphie wanted to shoot a train with a rocket launcher just so people get what the game's going for.

Also it's the only JRPG I know of that has dinosaurs in it aside from Chrono Trigger and that deserves more praise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's very rare nowadays that games don't give members not in your party at least some exp so it's less of a deal. Though Yakuza 7 does have an extended sequence where one of your party members leave it's not really a big deal in that