Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Riptor posted:

what the gently caress even is this podcast

A guy who used to get punched in the head professionally is now a stand up comedian that for some reason people love looking at and listening to.

And then Bryan Callen and Chris D'Elia are there just for background pedo sounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Every time I look at the edit it makes me laugh harder. He said all of that just a little before the new allegations came out. Oldman Callen also got roped into this new lawsuit, by way of a name check.

Edit: Just sitting there imagining an old man trying to impress a teenager by telling her she can meet Bryan Callen.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

A guy who used to get punched in the head professionally is now a stand up comedian that for some reason people love looking at and listening to.

Noooooooo. Schaub is fully a trainwreck that people are observing and giggling at. There's nobody who can actually ENJOY his material or listening to him on that podcast or anything. ... I hope.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

All those Rogan people have podcasts and the they’re all terrible

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

sponges posted:

I'd say Rogan's cronies are actually pretty loving funny for the most part- funnier than Joe pretty much across the board, but that's an admittedly low bar.

Joey Diaz, Tony Hinchcliffe, and Tom Segura are all really loving good.

Bert Kreischer is a better podcaster than a standup, but he's got some great bits. His pods with Tom and Bill Burr are both really good.

Theo is hit or miss, but when he's on he's really funny. His "this is not happening" is amazing.

Ari has a few good bits, but he's real hit or miss. Schaub and Callen are both loving terrible.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Diaz is an unrepentant piece of poo poo. gently caress him

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Gramps posted:

Bert Kreischer is a better podcaster than a standup, but he's got some great bits.

Eh I dunno about that, I watched one of the pay episodes of the Bear Cave thing and the whole thing stemmed around Segura pretending to buy coke and Bert getting increasingly wasted and annoying both his co-host and the guest. I don't know how much people paid for it, but it certainly wasn't worth actual money. The standup of his I've seen made me laugh at least, but probably because he was lucid and capable of speaking in sentences. Watching him fanboy out over speaking to Adam Sandler was also the worst, and while some people thought it was a bit I absolutely don't think that's the case.

I'm not as big on Segura as other people though, probably stemming from the show I watched of his where he spends about 5 minutes digging at his dad for being racist and saying how he doesn't understand how anyone can think like that in 2019 (or whatever) and immediately segueing into a segment where women are the butt of his joke. Some of his jokes seemed ok, but I don't get why people freak out over him.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

EL BROMANCE posted:

I'm not as big on Segura as other people though, probably stemming from the show I watched of his where he spends about 5 minutes digging at his dad for being racist and saying how he doesn't understand how anyone can think like that in 2019 (or whatever) and immediately segueing into a segment where women are the butt of his joke. Some of his jokes seemed ok, but I don't get why people freak out over him.

I'm not a fan of his podcast, but I found his stand up specials to be hilarious.
I think its the difference between a developed bit and filling time in a podcast.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

Eh I dunno about that, I watched one of the pay episodes of the Bear Cave thing and the whole thing stemmed around Segura pretending to buy coke and Bert getting increasingly wasted and annoying both his co-host and the guest. I don't know how much people paid for it, but it certainly wasn't worth actual money. The standup of his I've seen made me laugh at least, but probably because he was lucid and capable of speaking in sentences. Watching him fanboy out over speaking to Adam Sandler was also the worst, and while some people thought it was a bit I absolutely don't think that's the case.

The only paid 2 bears 1 cave thing that was worth the :10bux: was the super bowl episode with Warren Sapp, but the normal episodes are fantastic. The other paid stuff just seems to be them being as shocking as possible and trying things that they can't get away with on normal YouTube. The paid Your Moms House episodes are even worse in that regard, although I guess part of the appeal of YMH in the first place is the shock value stuff.

E: and to be fair, the super bowl 2B1C episode was great up until the end where Tom got so drunk that he just became irritating. Bert actually maintained himself fairly well, and Warren Sapp's stories and commentary was the best part.

empty baggie fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Mar 4, 2021

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

EL BROMANCE posted:

The 2 bears live stuff has been hit or miss, and once Bort gets hammered it gets old real fast.

As for Tom, he's not my favorite (that would be Kyle Kinane), but his specials are very solid and he's a great storyteller. Also, if you're not a fan of YourMomsHouse he's gonna hit you with some jokes or references that might seem way over the line but they're inside jokes from the pod.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The Tom Segura stuff I found weird was from a special, I believe 2016s 'Mostly Stories'. Like the material as a whole felt fine, but I remember a thread here where people were going insane over him and I just remember feeling a bit underwhelmed. Hype can do that.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Gramps posted:

Also, if you're not a fan of YourMomsHouse he's gonna hit you with some jokes or references that might seem way over the line but they're inside jokes from the pod.

I hate this poo poo. I hate watching a comedy special and thinking "oh this is funnier if you've spent 100 hours listening to this person prattle on."

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

sponges posted:

It's 2021, everyone has a podcast. I swear there's more podcasts out there than people listening to them.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

piratepilates posted:

It's 2021, everyone has a podcast. I swear there's more podcasts out there than people listening to them.
Actually true, given that all podcast guests appear only to plug their own podcast(s), thus requiring the host to reciprocate in creating more of the things.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

piratepilates posted:

It's worse than that man! I think anyone with a modicum of success has a minimum of least two!

Just off the top of my head:
Tom Segura: 3
Bert Kreischer: 3
Bill Burr: 3
Bobby Lee: 2
Andrew Santino: 2
Christina P: 3
Dave Stone: 2
I think that's becoming the norm these days. It's flat out too much content to try and keep up with, so just enjoy the glut of chuckles I guess.

Everyone who reads this thread should post their favorite comedy pod and maybe a little blurb about it. I'm always looking for more.

Mine's The Boogie Monster which I'm sure most of you are familiar with. Quick Elevator pitch: Kyle Kinane and Dave Stone do a show about the paranormal and conspiracies, which usually ends up being more about food and wild Dave stories. It's the loving best.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I just listen to Conan's podcast, more or less. And I guess I watch whatever people upload of Bill Burr answering letters on Youtube, every once in a while. His actual podcast is too much boring sports talk.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I listen to Dana Gould's podcast.
He generally does a long form interview with someone and has interesting little "hollywood is weird" segments in the middle of it.
He retreads jokes every now and then, but it's also only 1 podcast a month so it doesn't wear on me.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
Lot of comedians didn't have anything else to do this past year so they started doing more podcasts from home. That did not help the problem of everyone having a podcast.

I really like Conan's podcast, but my favorite one right now is the one Bill Burr and Bert Kreischer do together. I like Bert's comedy but I agree with whoever said that he's a better podcaster than a comedian. I enjoy seeing comedians I like shooting the poo poo with each other and Bert seems like a fun guy who is having a great time when he's doing that.

I don't know if it's technically a comedy podcast but I like the one Dax Shepard does. It's a lot like Conan's but not as good because it doesn't have Conan's personality and the episodes are twice as long. But Dax is a interesting person and he's a pretty good interviewer.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Everyone listening to all these podcasts but not listening to Cum Town need to STOP. Go and listen to Cum Town.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
nah

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

counterpoint: no podcasts

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

No fair! You changed the outcome by measuring it!
Brian Regan's new Netflix special was pretty good.

I remember he did a joke about peoples' indignant use of "they can put a man on the moon" to complain about inconveniences and it might be one of my favorite stand-up jokes I've ever seen. I still think about it a lot.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Jingleheimer posted:

I really like Conan's podcast, but my favorite one right now is the one Bill Burr and Bert Kreischer do together. I like Bert's comedy but I agree with whoever said that he's a better podcaster than a comedian. I enjoy seeing comedians I like shooting the poo poo with each other and Bert seems like a fun guy who is having a great time when he's doing that.

The Bill/Bert Podcast is very enjoyable. It's definitely a favorite of mine that I try to catch consistently.

Btw I watched Ian Bagg's special again, and that dude is just criminally underrated. I don't think a quicker witted comedian has ever existed. He is the king of crowdwork.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkydWp_5NgQ

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

I like Kreischer's stand up, but I'm pretty sure his kids are gonna need therapy one day. Also he leans into that 'love to make black people laugh' thing hard enough to make it weird.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
Another good podcast is Office Hours With Tim Heidecker. You probably have to like Tim to enjoy the podcast, but I think it's great. It's basically a radio call in show that he streams on youtube, and instead of taking calls he makes a zoom meeting that you can join and he'll essentially call on people out of the audience to talk to. It's pretty cool, plus the sound drops from Vic Berger and Doug Lussenhop are incredible.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
I don't even know if Jay does stand up or if this poo poo's true but drat if it doesn't look like him and where the hell else would you post this?

https://twitter.com/FBI/status/1367595894829436932

https://thecomicscomic.com/2021/03/05/comedy-fans-id-jay-johnston-as-capitol-insurrectionist/

Already has a snopes entry.
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/jay-johnston-capitol-riots/

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Tony Phillips posted:

I don't even know if Jay does stand up or if this poo poo's true but drat if it doesn't look like him and where the hell else would you post this?

https://twitter.com/FBI/status/1367595894829436932

https://thecomicscomic.com/2021/03/05/comedy-fans-id-jay-johnston-as-capitol-insurrectionist/

Already has a snopes entry.
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/jay-johnston-capitol-riots/

Lmao holy poo poo it does look like him. He looks super pissed that he's been lied to his entire life about 24 being the biggest number.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

Lmao holy poo poo it does look like him. He looks super pissed that he's been lied to his entire life about 24 being the biggest number.

Coup Coup the herky jerky insurrectionist

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Tony Phillips posted:

Coup Coup the herky jerky insurrectionist

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

https://twitter.com/rajandelman/status/1367705032578265088

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Having a hard time deciding whether this is more disappointing than it is hilarious. Really hope it wasn't him, but drat there's some good dumb rear end jokes flying around.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Gramps posted:

I'd say Rogan's cronies are actually pretty loving funny for the most part- funnier than Joe pretty much across the board, but that's an admittedly low bar.

I just hate that bro-y humor from the Rogan gang.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Jingleheimer posted:

I don't know if it's technically a comedy podcast but I like the one Dax Shepard does. It's a lot like Conan's but not as good because it doesn't have Conan's personality and the episodes are twice as long. But Dax is a interesting person and he's a pretty good interviewer.
Dax is a fantastic interviewer and he has on a lot of great guests. I wouldn't call it a "comedy podcast," but it's one that features smart/interesting people and happens to be reasonably funny.

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man
Sometimes it can get tiresome, but I like World Record Podcast with Brendon Walsh. He often does like a reverse call in show schtick where he calls businesses and customer support lines and tries to get whoever answers to talk to his celebrity guest. It doesn't always hit right, but listening to a lady who's on the clock get into a random 20 minute conversation with Michael Keaton was pretty amusing. Also fun to hear the celebrities' reactions to people saying they've never heard of them.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Mr. Show counts as stand up. Recently grabbed one of these:
https://www.stateofshockstudios.com/store/mr-show
And instead of putting it in the "I swear I'll get a frame for you someday" pile in the closet, I went to Michaels and bought a cheap poster frame.

The print is pretty drat cool in my book, nice quality as well. Plus I may or may not now have an insurrectionist on my wall.

Edit - I can't for the life of me remember what bit the Danny Devito looking guy to the left of Bob's head is from. Any help?

Riptor posted:

i sure hope it isn't paul f tompkins as the japanese dude on the subway

Just checked. Not that. Looking around the poster - it seems any non Bob/David person gets a single appearance and Paul is there as the button man. not seeing John Ennis anywhere though - maybe something he did?

Tony Phillips fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Mar 18, 2021

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Tony Phillips posted:

Edit - I can't for the life of me remember what bit the Danny Devito looking guy to the left of Bob's head is from. Any help?

i sure hope it isn't paul f tompkins as the japanese dude on the subway

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
Just watched a Bill Bailey special. He’s one of the few who manage to combine comedy and music successfully, I feel.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

He really is, found his early stuff to be the best if you’re watching something more recent though.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
He's also great in small roles. And Black Books was a fun show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Being a really good musician definitely helps his stuff stand out. I still think Unisex Chipshop is the most accurate song parody ever written.