Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum

whatever man posted:

I recently retired, effective 1 March. My last PT test was Nov 2019. I was due to test in May 2020, but then COVID happened and I never tested again. Situation is different because there were no tests for my last year in, but I definitely went over 365 days.

Just walk off the pad and ask to see a medic for shortness of breath.

This is not official advice.

gently caress, page 2 snipe with this bullshit. everyone should go pet their animals or find one to spoil or search for an image of a puppy / kitty / birb and tell yourself how cute it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

whatever man posted:

I recently retired, effective 1 March. My last PT test was Nov 2019. I was due to test in May 2020, but then COVID happened and I never tested again. Situation is different because there were no tests for my last year in, but I definitely went over 365 days.

Now that it's pushed back to July, I'm good to go since I officially retire 1 Aug and I'll be on terminal in July.

Celebrating with a pack of pizza rolls and a few bud heavies.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I did a lot of reading about the fitness test thing since I was super overdue by the time I hit terminal and at the time the AF was still planning to hold them in October, and it looked like enforcing it is completely at the commander’s discretion.

If you can get the UFPM to sign off on your checklist before you go you should be ok.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
I mean, they aren't resuming testing until July, which should mean that I have until 31 July to take the test. My 20 day PTDY starts on 20 April, and terminal starts in May, and I retire 1 Aug. Unless the universe conspires to capriciously poo poo on me and my CC recalls me from terminal to take a test, I'll just do a sit up, a push up, then take 1 step off the track and be done with it.

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Mar 5, 2021

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
My next test was supposed to be in June (last test was Dec 2019) so I've been hitting it getting ready to test then. I got the text from my boss right as I got home that the tests were delayed until July, putting me probably around September somewhere. As I'm learning this, one of my girlfriends had decided to surprise us with dinner and was in the process of frying hamburgers with bacon, mushrooms and swiss as I walked in. The perfect fatboy moment.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

I can't imagine the level of pettiness required to deliberately target someone who I know is leaving in order to personally gently caress them over for absolutely no gain to myself or the unit and actually create a tremendous asspain for multiple organizations around base. So, uh, watch out for that?

Dammit_Carl!
Mar 5, 2013
Eh, in my case, I said "stuff it," when it came time to retire and there was a PT test to do. I recall laughing at my shop NCOIC when he asked if I was going to take it, honestly.

-was a Reservist, so I've no idea on how Active does this sort of thing

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
Well, my unit has decided to not do two EPRs on two E7s, despite the fact they were absolutely due, because they were on terminal. I can see where my CC wouldn't care and just let it ride, but you never know.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/LethalityJane/status/1367933291286786051?s=20

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
I went from being a contractor at Hill to a contractor at loving Dugway PG. It's 100 miles of driving one way for me and we're OT exempt. Plus I took a massive paycut. Still better than my job at Hill, by loving miles

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Prop Wash posted:

I can't imagine the level of pettiness required to deliberately target someone who I know is leaving in order to personally gently caress them over for absolutely no gain to myself or the unit and actually create a tremendous asspain for multiple organizations around base. So, uh, watch out for that?

I considered that in my case but between my anxiety and my knowledge of being in the military I really couldn’t rule it out

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Hotel Kpro posted:

I went from being a contractor at Hill to a contractor at loving Dugway PG. It's 100 miles of driving one way for me and we're OT exempt. Plus I took a massive paycut. Still better than my job at Hill, by loving miles

Ew. Move to Tooele?

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
I pulled my shirt aside at CC call today and told him about it.

He was of the opinion that it shouldn't be an issue, and recalling me from terminal leave to conduct a test 'would be loving dumb.' He said it'll likely be a matter of writing an MFR for the commander so they have something to put into AFFMS.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

This made me think about other old cringy AF videos so I dug up this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOwNJdbO42Q

SMEGMA_MAIL
May 4, 2018

maffew buildings posted:

Point blank I loving deeply regret that I chose the Navy over the French Foreign Legion when I couldn't go to the other services due to my weed charge.

I wouldn’t go that far.

My reason was even dumber. I wanted to be a SEAL. After a few months in Coronado I changed my mind and rang that bell and the Navy sent me undesignated for two years.

On plus side I’m definitely getting disability for my injuries from training.

I got a paid developer internship lined up to start a week after I get out so gently caress em, I’ll be making more than the CO in a few years.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Actually soldiering and a French citizenship would be pretty choice now compared to what I did. I looked at the USAF now that the age limit is bumped up but man, everything about going back right now just looks awful.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
Getting a Cappy Blanc is pretty rad

SMEGMA_MAIL
May 4, 2018
Yes but so is not dying in Guyana.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
How was everybody's extremism stand down day?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

lite_sleepr posted:

How was everybody's extremism stand down day?

From what I gather, everyone learned about the threat of ANTIFA.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Mr. Nice! posted:

From what I gather, everyone learned about the threat of ANTIFA.

My eyes cannot roll any harder.

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch
My guard unit hasn’t done it yet, and who knows if it’s even going to happen.

We did do the stand down last summer during during the nation-wide protests, and that went surprisingly well. Most of the unit was deployed, so we only had about 30 people there, which probably helped. I found out the day before that I was the one who was going to be running it, so I figured I’d run it a bit differently. We blasted through the AF talking points and then opened up the floor for people to just talk about their experiences in an attempt for people to try to understand what others have gone through. We asked a couple people beforehand if they wouldn’t mind being the first to share, because no one wants to be the first to talk.

And it worked. I had to cut the discussion off after two hours because we had something else going on, but people still wanted to keep going. I think a lot of people (mainly the white, conservative demographic) really had their eyes opened to what a black dude in the South/military has been through. The fact that sunset towns were, and still are a thing blew some minds (myself included).

Too bad most of these stand downs will just be a waste of time because lol Air Force.

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

It wasn't bad really, especially compared to how I hear it's being done at other places. Got to learn a little more about others in my unit.

AFStealth
Jun 24, 2006

Shut up baby, I know it
Just did my final out over the phone. Feels good man. Now I'm free but I'm still an idiot because I'm going to the reserves. Still good though.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
My last week of work is next week. That'll wrap up 20 years. You're welcome for my service.

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Apr 9, 2021

AFStealth
Jun 24, 2006

Shut up baby, I know it

lite_sleepr posted:

My last week of work is next week. That'll wrap up 20 years. You're welcome for my service.

Honestly, congrats for being able to put up with that poo poo for 20. God knows I couldn't do it.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

lite_sleepr posted:

You're welcome for my service.

Be sure to wear a veteran hat and pepper your car with USAF & ribbon rack stickers so everyone knows.

For real though, congrats on escaping with a retirement check, and good luck with whatever you move on to next. I've got 7 years left, and I am counting down.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
You made master didn't you? So *you* made it, where my career was an overall failure as I'm only a tech.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

I won't complain about the extra money, but - without any exaggeration - I now spend more time sitting in conference room meetings than all the rest of my workday combined. I was happy as a TSgt supervisor. I was happy as a TSgt NCOIC. Being a MSgt section chief is just sucking the life out of me. Feels like every weekend there's someone going AWOL, or getting a DWI, or badly in need of professional help for their messy divorce, or whatever else.

It's kind of like the way people tell you that SrA is the best rank, and you don't believe them until it's too late.

You might not have made it to E-7, but hopefully the tradeoff is that you got to do a real job for your whole career.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
Making master in 13 is real real good. I imagine you get to chief with this timeline.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Arc Light posted:

I won't complain about the extra money, but - without any exaggeration - I now spend more time sitting in conference room meetings than all the rest of my workday combined. I was happy as a TSgt supervisor. I was happy as a TSgt NCOIC. Being a MSgt section chief is just sucking the life out of me. Feels like every weekend there's someone going AWOL, or getting a DWI, or badly in need of professional help for their messy divorce, or whatever else.

It's kind of like the way people tell you that SrA is the best rank, and you don't believe them until it's too late.

You might not have made it to E-7, but hopefully the tradeoff is that you got to do a real job for your whole career.

The good news is that you have unparalleled opportunity to help those people. The bad news is that at the exact time you were created, the universe created an exact opposite who takes every opportunity to punish those people and make the AF a worse place to be.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
It's part of why Staff Sergeant was kinda my end goal: I just wanted to fix things, not be a glorified manager

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Arc Light posted:

It's kind of like the way people tell you that SrA is the best rank

O-1E with ~10 years service is choice too

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

lite_sleepr posted:

Making master in 13 is real real good. I imagine you get to chief with this timeline.

lmao hell to the no.

I'm 2 classes away from my degree, and I'm going to stay that way until the year before I retire, just to make sure I'm non-competitive for Senior.

I've spent enough time filling in for my Senior/Chief that I know I'd never want to do those jobs fulltime.

Master is the last rank where I can be close enough to the technicians that they come to me with their problems. Any higher and I'd just be management.

At this point, I just want to ride out the next few years, look out for the Airmen, and get the mission done. It's great, because I don't ever have to do "volunteer" bs, or get facetime with the bosses, or play along with the dog and pony shows.

As long as I'm not a criminal, I won't get demoted, and I've achieved all my career goals already, so leadership can't bribe me with anything to get me to play ball

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Prop Wash posted:

The good news is that you have unparalleled opportunity to help those people. The bad news is that at the exact time you were created, the universe created an exact opposite who takes every opportunity to punish those people and make the AF a worse place to be.

Doubleposting to lol at this. My unit's last rear end in a top hat SNCO PCS'd a couple months ago, so equilibrium demands the next arrival will be a complete tool.

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

King of rings, armlocks, hugs, and our hearts

Arc Light posted:

I'm 2 classes away from my degree, and I'm going to stay that way until the year before I retire, just to make sure I'm non-competitive for Senior.

You make $6K more a year as an O-1E than an E-7 and you have less responsibility. Noble! Noble! Noble!

Edit: as you retire at 20 years and you'd be an O-3E, you'd make $1200 more monthly in just base pay.

djfooboo posted:

O-1E with ~10 years service is choice too

the yellow dart fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Apr 14, 2021

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

lite_sleepr posted:

One of my old coworkers joined in 09, made master on last year's cycle. If he stays for a full 30 that'll be 19 years of being a SNCO

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
I don't get how people make it so fast. Decorations help a lot

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Prop Wash posted:

That dude makes chief in 16.

the yellow dart posted:

You make $6K more a year as an O-1E than an E-7 and you have less responsibility. Noble! Noble! Noble!

Edit: as you retire at 20 years and you'd be an O-3E, you'd make $1200 more monthly in just base pay.

You need 10 years commissioned to make it stick. It used to be waiverable to 8, but that was a force-shaping thing so I don't know if it's still in effect.

I commissioned with a MSgt pro-sup who made the jump for some reason. I felt bad for his former troops, there's no way his replacement was as chill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
Never mind.