Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lol and order
Apr 4, 2006

Outrail posted:

Lol at the comments just matter of fact stating those are bigfoot sounds. Obviously.

Is that an 'Almasty' ?

Someone suggested it may have been a Eurasian Lynx - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbmObjwrB5U

But that faint singing and humming sounded like a woman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
Super looking forward to going camping again this year, as soon as it stops being sloppy and messy. I have been shopping for gear all winter long, largely just as something to do... I have way more gear than honestly my level of hardcore-ness merits. But maybe I will grow into it? It's a goal, anyhow.

Last year I had major abdominal surgery in January and April, so so I wasn't very fit for hiking or camping. 10lb lifting restrictions would have forced me into the super Ultra light camper class, and I am frankly more likely to want to bring a steel tripod and a cast iron dutch oven. Got a couple of solo trips in September and October, but that was it.

I am hoping to drag more friends out as own tents, out doors is social distance friendly, but I am definitely more into it than a lot of my friends. Took one hiking 8 miles a few years ago, and he still holds it against me. He's like 10 years younger! How was I to know he doesn't consider that a reasonable distance?

Any good motivation tips for prying friends off the couch, and into sleeping bags?

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Are they total newbies or do they just need reminded to get out? Do they have a passion you could tap into? Drinking beer around a fire, fishing in spot that's hard to day-trip, etc.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
Eh, 1 likes fishing, but claims he has camped enough with parents to last a lifetime. Another likes poking fires and cooking, but won't hike, doesn't like bugs. Another few claim to suffer from outdoor insomnia - too weirded out by sounds and surroundings to sleep. 2 more have a new baby, and others have toddlers. Another has a legit fubar back and would seize into a solid brick of goon if forced to even air mattress sleep.

So yeah. Frustrating. I am an import to this state, so my bench of friends is only 10 years old. My SO is down to go, but I feel like I am dragging him sometimes as he never initiates camping. I have brought up the food over a fire, beer drinking argument, and had friends point out they can do that in a backyard without driving hour a couple of hours.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Arkhamina posted:

Eh, 1 likes fishing, but claims he has camped enough with parents to last a lifetime.
Ask leading questions, maybe unearth some nostalgia

quote:

Another likes poking fires and cooking, but won't hike, doesn't like bugs.
Maybe car camping potential

quote:

Another few claim to suffer from outdoor insomnia - too weirded out by sounds and surroundings to sleep.
Get exhausted from hiking all day

quote:

2 more have a new baby, and others have toddlers.
Family outdoors time, memories of a lifetime, yay

quote:

Another has a legit fubar back and would seize into a solid brick of goon if forced to even air mattress sleep.
Hmmm, might be a no go :(

quote:

So yeah. Frustrating. I am an import to this state, so my bench of friends is only 10 years old. My SO is down to go, but I feel like I am dragging him sometimes as he never initiates camping. I have brought up the food over a fire, beer drinking argument, and had friends point out they can do that in a backyard without driving hour a couple of hours.
I've been guilty of pushing the SO too much, good that you're being sensitive. Friends though, push their asses :jecht: Also make more camping friends

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Arkhamina posted:

Super looking forward to going camping again this year, as soon as it stops being sloppy and messy. I have been shopping for gear all winter long, largely just as something to do... I have way more gear than honestly my level of hardcore-ness merits. But maybe I will grow into it? It's a goal, anyhow.

Last year I had major abdominal surgery in January and April, so so I wasn't very fit for hiking or camping. 10lb lifting restrictions would have forced me into the super Ultra light camper class, and I am frankly more likely to want to bring a steel tripod and a cast iron dutch oven. Got a couple of solo trips in September and October, but that was it.

I am hoping to drag more friends out as own tents, out doors is social distance friendly, but I am definitely more into it than a lot of my friends. Took one hiking 8 miles a few years ago, and he still holds it against me. He's like 10 years younger! How was I to know he doesn't consider that a reasonable distance?

Any good motivation tips for prying friends off the couch, and into sleeping bags?

If you want friends to go outdoors with you and eventually return, you need to be careful in how you introduce them to getting out. Initial discussion on trip expectations are key even with experienced outdoor people. For inexperienced friends, ease them in. Build upon several positive experiences before your start pushing limits. You need to meet them where they're at vs them getting onto your level.

I've got a friend who is always looking for the most intense experience on every trip and it's not only annoying at times but irresponsible because taking unnecessary/avoidable risks increase the potential for injury in backcountry travel and puts the burden on the partner. Not saying this is you but just be cognizant of those behaviors. I too have friends I've introduced to backpacking and some hated it, others were mixed, others loved it. Lastly you can't convert everybody.

Keep in mind they may not share your same enthusiasm. It's not to say they can't get there eventually but it's not happened yet and sometimes they just won't. The best way to lose a hiking buddy is to make them feel like they can't keep up or don't belong. Some people might be intimidated by the outdoors for various reasons. Start small. Ease them into it. You might be in great shape because you've been hiking a lot so getting a newbie friend to come with you might scare them a bit because they're not ready for a 15 mile, 5000k vertical death march. Some people think it's funny to watch their friends struggle but it's not, it's a good way to break trust. Those kinds of people tend to push their friends too hard or encourage them to go beyond their comfort zone or skill level which can be dangerous. Someone will always try to prove themselves and injury is almost always soon to follow.

Consider getting hobby specific friends. I've got a few hobbies (dirt biking, hiking/backpacking/mountaineering, skiing, hockey, hunting) and some of them overlap which is nice but having friends specific to each increases the flexibility of planning. It's easier to go dirt biking or backpacking with friends who share the same enthusiasm for what you're doing.

Lastly, consider some lower risk solo trips. I've been hiking for a while but I only just started doing solo trips in the last few years. I thought I would be more anxious but it was actually way more enjoyable than I thought it would be. Just be safe about it, know where you're going, tell people where you're going, don't take stupid risks etc.

Look at local groups or online meetups if your friends are less than enthusiastic about getting out.

I feel you on the S/O thing. My wife enjoys hiking but tops out around 6-8 miles and isn't into suffering too terribly much. She wont camp. After ten years together I've barely made any progress on that front. She just has zero interest.

Verman fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Mar 6, 2021

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
Totally get where you're coming from with that, but I don't think I am likely to be classed as any sort of extreme sports person. I'm a middle aged lady goon who is mostly kept in shape by two big dogs. I'm mostly friends with board gamers and computer gamers here, and to some of them, 2 miles is an long walk. I did a couple solo trips last fall, (social distancing!) - and it's nice, but I also crave people who want to see things, do things outdoors too.

That said, peeked over in the WI thread where I posted as well, and more goons are interested :unsmith:

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

You sound like me :v:

My 2 dogs are largely my exercise program, would love to get into camping more but all my friends are the turbo nerd types who don't really want to get away from board/video games or similar hobbies. I did go on a solo trip before the pandemic and the hiking during the day was really nice but just sitting around my tent all alone is really depressing tbh.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

camping w no fire during a burn ban just isn't the same. anyone got any camping life hacks to make it better

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

PokeJoe posted:

camping w no fire during a burn ban just isn't the same. anyone got any camping life hacks to make it better

pocket rocket and make your own dried meals

basic idea with an example recipe:
https://www.msrgear.com/blog/homemade-backpacking-meals-just-add-water/

I'll say powdered peanut butter and freeze dried chicken are a bit pricey but go along way and are totally worth it

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
I am skipping my planned Boundary Waters trip this year because of the Fire ban. Also because the air quality due to the Canadian forest fires makes it look like a prime time for my otherwise we'll controlled asthma to flare up. One thing in the house or a state Park, little more unwelcome up there 5 hours paddle from a phone/doctor.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

PokeJoe posted:

Car camping without a fire is different for sure. Definitely need a Coleman stove for cooking and lanterns for light. It's amazing how much it changes the atmosphere around camp having a fire vs not.

Thankfully people are being good about obeying the ban though, things are really dry out here and anything is going to set it off.

Last weekend we drove to Bellingham WA for a hockey tournament. As we drove north on a perfectly clear day, we looked east down the north cascades highway. 100+ miles away was a gigantic thunderhead looking cloud caused by the several fires that merged out east.

The next morning we woke up to a smoky haze.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

PokeJoe posted:

Set a big clear water bottle on top of a headlamp with a red light. The reflected light through moving water kind of feels like flames.

It's extremely dumb but our monkey brains are juuuuust be dumb enough to be somewhat fooled.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I think the lesson being taught is that as the climate turns to poo poo, camping trips need to be done earlier in the season. Like early May/June. July-September are kind of turning into shitshows.

Or shoulder seasons I guess. Go to the mountains in October and Death Valley in January.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I'm a 3 season camper so it sucks to have a period in the middle where its less fun. It's pushing me to want a camper van a little more to have a better experience than sitting around under a lantern

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Campfires in California

I'm in the California Bay Area, and I've gotten to learn how the different agencies handle fire restrictions, who opens first, who opens last, etc. A lot of the variation is due to local conditions, but some is due to...personality? It definitely pays to follow each National Forest and each BLM office separately.

Mendocino NF is often first to open. And they almost never have target shooting restrictions.

Los Padres is usually last to lift fire restrictions, or at least feels like it. I'm near the Monterey county part of the forest, but it's super clear the Forest HQ is down in Santa Barbara. Sometimes it feels like they don't want the Monterey Ranger District to be open at all.

When the BLM says there will be year-round fire restrictions, they just mean they will require you to have a shovel year-round. I always get worried when I see strict BLM Desert District fire bans accompanied by "fire restrictions will remain in place year-round." Only the shovel requirement and clearing a 5 ft circle are year-round.

National Forests tend to announce new fire restrictions on their Alerts & Notices page, and mention the lifting of fire restrictions on News & Events.

When Sierra Pacific closes off public access and puts big signs along the road saying so, that means the land on either side of the road. If you are on a National Forest road that passes through Sierra Pacific property, that is fine as long as you stay on the road easement.

Play fire restriction arbitrage.

Tehama Wildlife Area is managed by CA Fish & Wildlife, so its fire restrictions are out of sync with Lassen NF, which is adjacent. Most CDFW wildlife parcels are quite small, but Tehama is 45k acres. I'm not sure if Tehama even does fire restrictions, ever.

Sequoia NF lifts their fire restrictions earlier than BLM Central Desert District, but there are spots off highway 14 where you can camp on Sequoia land and play on the BLM valley floor.

I suspect there are similar differences between Mojave National Preserve (managed by NPS) and the surrounding BLM land, but I haven't investigated this in detail.

Another example of agency arbitrage is when all California National Forests were closed, but you could still go to Nevada National Forests that are geographically in California (Toiyabe NF straddles the border). Agency decisions generally follow org chart lines, not geographic borders.

None of this is going to let you have a rock ring campfire at a dispersed campsite in the forest in October. But that's probably reasonable. What it will let you do is optimize at the edges. With some planning, you can gain maybe an extra month on either side of the fire season. That's a lot more campfires!

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
This popped up for me on YT a couple of days ago. As well as some impressive camera work and skiing, it's an excellent demonstration of triggering the chase response.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tySWLqrYRo

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Pablo Bluth posted:

This popped up for me on YT a couple of days ago. As well as some impressive camera work and skiing, it's an excellent demonstration of triggering the chase response.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tySWLqrYRo

Ha I just saw this the other day. That bear seemed very inquisitive, and the guy trying to ski away from it, that made me cringe. Seeing the chase response activated ... I would have been scared to see what would have happened if he fell. I feel like he also put other people in danger by trying to flee.

I can't imagine just like, hanging out on a ski slope and some dude skis by with a bear in full sprint behind him.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

I've never seen a bear act that way. I've only seen a couple black bears here in California, and they all behaved appropriately (ran away when I made myself known).

What's the appropriate response to this situation? Especially if it's come to my camp.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Don't run, to start with. That was a brain-dead move. I don't think the people were acting nearly big or scary or loud enough. Looked like a young bear that was curious and they were basically cooing it on.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Yeah, they should have bunched up to present a larger mass. Also more assertive (but not aggressive) talking/shouting.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

What's up, ourdoorspeople? Did you do something you're proud of this year? Get it burned into your rap sheet forever by posting in the 2021 Achievement Sixxer thread!

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

So this seems to be the most appropriate thread.

Going on a road trip for kiddos sport thing and I’m going to be in the NC/SC area and camping at one of the parks near Myrtle Beach. It very prominently states that you should wear close toed shoes and have a flashlight at night to avoid copperheads.
I am a northern gal who has never camped south of the Mason-Dixon Line and as such have no experience with poisonous snakes. I mean we theoretically have rattlers and cottonmouths but I’ve never encountered one. Is this legit or is it more of a cya legal disclaimer for idiots who can’t help but gently caress with wildlife? How the gently caress do you sleep on the ground with poisonous snakes running (slithering) around every drat where? Do you shake out your shoes in the morning? Will they try and hide under the tent and bite my rear end through the fabric if I roll over on them?

Like help me out here people.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
They are more afraid of you than you are of them.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
Caveat, I am also northern, but what I have been told is basically to make sure your tent is not left open and doesn't have holes, and to check shoes first. Most snakes *KNOW* you are way bigger, and will try to GTFO. Just don't kick logs or wander around swamp edge if you're not wanting to meet up.

The only real danger situation I have ever legit encountered with snakes was up in Upstate NY - mating water moccasins are a horny, bitey rolling aquatic orgy, and you don't want to be swimming near them. As a kid at camp, we could swim outside of a boxed in area only within arms reach, since from water viewpoint snakes are hard to see, but above a lifeguard can spot them. Got hauled out once when they came by. Was pretty surreal.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
I just don't leave anything including shoes outside my tent if there's anything venomous in the area. More of a spider and scorpion this but also little snakes.

E: Also walk heavily. Snakes feel the vibrations and will generally gtfo.

Outrail fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jun 6, 2023

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Make sure nobody is walking around in the dark, don’t step or reach where you can’t clearly see, and don’t disturb debris like plywood and logs on the ground and that will solve most of your potential snake issues.

Wearing closed toed shoes makes sense for a lot of reasons so I’d do that as well.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Attempted a trail run today that ended up being more of a walk/hike with some running mixed in, due to elevation kicking my rear end, slipperiness from recent rains, and a large amount of rocks and roots. 5 miles up to a firewatch tower and 5 back down. Felt good to finish the last half mile straight downhill. New England is cool!

highlight was seeing this lil guy, eastern newt eft crawling around doing its thing

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

What's a good medium/long term water storage option? Something I can take camping but also leave filled at home to use as emergency water? I was looking at Jerry can style things but there's a lot of options and Jesus gently caress they sure get expensive for being a big water bottle. A 5 gal water jug for a water dispenser is like <$10, why does an empty internet jug cost $70???

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

PokeJoe posted:

What's a good medium/long term water storage option? Something I can take camping but also leave filled at home to use as emergency water? I was looking at Jerry can style things but there's a lot of options and Jesus gently caress they sure get expensive for being a big water bottle. A 5 gal water jug for a water dispenser is like <$10, why does an empty internet jug cost $70???

Just use a $20 5gal/20L hard plastic cube jug with a top thing. Every lovely outdoor store has them and they're fine. I've used one for about 8 years hammering around the forestry roads and all it's ever needed was a new ~$10 tap.

e: Something like this thing

Outrail fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jun 30, 2023

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Perfect, purchased 👍

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Took a taxi to the trailhead, nice. Used the lyft app, which drained my phone battery before I noticed, not nice. Silver lining, good to unplug that much more.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

going backpacking tomorrow. i forgot how much poo poo you need to bring. only 3 days but still hyped.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Supposed to get out again for the long weekend. Forecast looking prime.

Sunday
Rain. High near 45. Southeast wind around 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%.

Buddy's still stoked so let's go

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Rain camping can occasionally kick rear end, as long as there are sufficient weather breaks to go outside and feel smug that no one else is there

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Once we got a PNW beach campsite all to ourselves because it was rainy march. it was frankly amazing to bumble around a big area w just my girlfriend :allears:

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Bring a tarp.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I have a whole tarp kit w stakes and ropes :smug:

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

You're right though. Im just saying it feels good to be the only one who can tolerate The Weather at the Campsite.

Any other weather warriors deserve respect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Ya even in town, the path is so much quieter when the weather's active

That looks like a dope spot. I made a little tarp thing like that out of tyvek, "ultra light" means ultra pricey