Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

Mr.Radar posted:

Probably a bit of that and a bit of asking for a bit too much stuff recently. I remember a different storage server video he did a few months ago where he asked Seagate for a bunch of drives, they sent him drives rated for at most 5 per chassis, then he told them it was for a huge NAS and they sent him drives rated for like 12 per chassis and he had to go back to them again to clarify he was putting all like 40 drives he was asking them for into the same chassis before they sent him drives certified for that type of duty. For some reason Seagate didn't ask him to send the other drives back (that's almost certainly where the initial Ironwolf drives he was going to use in this video came from) but I got the impression from the video that Seagate was done with sending him drives for a while.

He did a passing update on the state of all those drives he got in a few videos he did after that build. Basically Seagate said he could keep them, but he had to use them in a project/projects, otherwise he had to return them. If I remember right he had a deadline too.

My guess as to why they re-used that old server is that he's done a few new storage setups recently, and they didn't want to send him a new rack-mount server. I believe the stuff he has been getting is essentially one-off's and/or pre-production stuff, so once he runs through that, then he has to pay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Koskun posted:

My guess as to why they re-used that old server is that he's done a few new storage setups recently, and they didn't want to send him a new rack-mount server.

I'd also hypothesize that one issue with getting all-new sponsored kit is that it's not a glamour project. Like, if they hadn't spent 15 minutes cleaning some dust, what would the video even have been about? It's not their production server so they can't throw around amazing stats about real-time video editing over the network etc. If someone is sending you thousands of dollars worth of free stuff, they want it to be some amount of advertising.

And it's not like a data dump remote backup has any major performance needs, an old server works fine.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Yeah, there's nothing wrong with using an old server for this purpose, it's just a bit strange that he went out of his way to call out that he wasn't using brand new hardware like he normally does with server builds.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
I wonder how jayztwocents is doing.

https://twitter.com/JayzTwoCents/status/1363883775785013255

oh ok

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I'm just watching some AIO cooled graphics card video of him, because of reasons unknown to me, and probably due to earlier talk, I'm noticing some newish flab going on.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

More divorce fallout?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUfiXOGDdy4

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
If you watch one LTT video this year, make it whatever the gently caress this is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GT3Cg7dmWxE

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.

Maybe his partner finally got fed up of having to explain his Asian minstrel act to their family and friends.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

Combat Pretzel posted:

I'm just watching some AIO cooled graphics card video of him, because of reasons unknown to me, and probably due to earlier talk, I'm noticing some newish flab going on.

He's battled weight problems all his life, which he's talked about. He mentioned not being able to get to a gym due to covid, and the blah's that have come with the lockdowns (not negative, more the "oh god I'm bored").

It's an incredible effort to lose the amount of weight he has and a daily fight to keep it from returning.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Is getting Covid good for losing weight?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Fame Douglas posted:

some people slim down to just 23-27 pounds after getting it!

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Arivia posted:

If you watch one LTT video this year, make it whatever the gently caress this is

This rules and is a sneaky way for linus to push his merch as really high quality. I actually would wear the grey sweatshirt with the stealth pocket if it had 0 LTT branding.

mA posted:

Maybe his partner finally got fed up of having to explain his Asian minstrel act to their family and friends.

imagine having a biracial daughter and watching your business partner ramp up racist caricatures as a new property

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Arivia posted:

Reported for untagged linuscrotch.

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

Fame Douglas posted:

Speaking from experience, yes! Not eating for like 4 days will get you down a bit.

Though not being able to breathe properly for a while after will cause it to come back pretty quickly

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I always regain my appetite with a force after getting sick. :/ I didn't have that loss of taste effect of "whatever" I had a year ago.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

mA posted:

"Kyle, you have shown so much wisdom, grace and strength over the past few months" - Paul
"Time to make more Asian minstrel act videos" - Kyle at his house.

Man, I actually really used to enjoy Kyle's content (minus the Lyle poo poo which was dumb as hell), but now it seems like his new channel is doubling down on the Lyle stuff so I'm getting ready to click that unsubscribe button.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Paul’s wife; “don’t let that weirdo back in the house.”

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

the corona quid posted:

Shut off the water and empty the pipes. Its common knowledge up here in Canada

Well yeah, but getting mad about somebody in Texas not even thinking about this is like a Texan telling a Canadian "everybody knows how to recognize a copperhead snake you dumbass" to somebody who lives in Edmonton.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

InfiniteZero posted:

Well yeah, but getting mad about somebody in Texas not even thinking about this is like a Texan telling a Canadian "everybody knows how to recognize a copperhead snake you dumbass" to somebody who lives in Edmonton.

If they announced an incoming swarm of copperhead snakes I might do a cursory search online about what to do to prepare for it, especially if I was a self proclaimed “prepper”, that’s just me though 🤷🏼‍♂️

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I don't think 8bit guy has proclaimed prepperhood, at least not to any notable degree. Best I can tell he's just a gun nut.

E:vvv ok, didn't watch that video.

Fantastic Foreskin fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Feb 24, 2021

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Pretty sure he said in that video that he's a bit of a prepper.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Hardware Unboxed has been caught in some sweep by Youtube's algorithm and everything from the last two months doesn't show in search results, along with no notifications of new videos, or in the recommendation que.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Those guys just can't catch a break. I didn't usually watch much of their stuff but they seem to be good guys.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

This is kind of tech and definitely idiot: https://youtu.be/pHVMlJocUpc

Thunderf00t now thinks he's also a lawyer so he's sure just using a whole video clip from someone without permission is fair use. IANAL either but I think he's hosed.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

mobby_6kl posted:

Thunderf00t now thinks he's also a lawyer so he's sure just using a whole video clip from someone without permission is fair use. IANAL either but I think he's hosed.

Nah. The original work was factual, not creative, which weighs towards fair use. He was using it to make commentary on a subject, again positive. And using the whole video is fine in this case:

quote:

Third Factor: "The amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole"
Using all or much of the original work will weigh against fair use. [...]
The third factor is neutralized if the amount used is necessary for a transformative purpose, even if the entire original work is used. For instance, the third factor would be neutralized in the use of the toy advertisement described above — all of the advertisement has to be used in order to achieve the transformative use.
So in this case using the whole thing is fine because it's needed to show what happened (a rocket went boom).

Getting permission or at least crediting the source with a little text overlay onto the video would have been good. But IMO this is more a case of space nerds being incredibly touchy & proprietary (there's a space nerd forum that tries to prevent any reposting of content posted on their forum anywhere else, which cause drama a couple times in the SA space thread). Also the guy making threats probably is one of the Musk worshipers that I gather Thunderf00t was calling out in the original video and got offended.

Fair use is really weird in a lot of other places (music samples), but I don't think this is one of them.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
Problem is, he didn’t need to use it beyond, at most a still frame to make the video he did. That puts it under a different light copyright-wise.
He’s also got a history of misusing copyrighted material.
Also, he’s fash garbage, but that’s more of a CSPAM thing.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Kerbtree posted:

Also, he’s fash garbage, but that’s more of a CSPAM thing.

I was guessing that when Timothy McVeigh's favorite Thomas Jefferson quote came on randomly. I got bored after a few minutes of watching it though.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Klyith posted:

Nah. The original work was factual, not creative, which weighs towards fair use. He was using it to make commentary on a subject, again positive. And using the whole video is fine in this case:

So in this case using the whole thing is fine because it's needed to show what happened (a rocket went boom).

Getting permission or at least crediting the source with a little text overlay onto the video would have been good. But IMO this is more a case of space nerds being incredibly touchy & proprietary (there's a space nerd forum that tries to prevent any reposting of content posted on their forum anywhere else, which cause drama a couple times in the SA space thread). Also the guy making threats probably is one of the Musk worshipers that I gather Thunderf00t was calling out in the original video and got offended.

Fair use is really weird in a lot of other places (music samples), but I don't think this is one of them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6C-U51RDWA

The lawyer that thunderfoot specifically asked to weigh in disagrees, with, I feel, the crux of the argument occurring around the 11 minute mark. In short, there was no feature of this specific copyrighted work that was necessary for the point being made in TF's video.

e: And, more broadly, I feel like your interpretation of fair use is kind of backwards. How could it be fair use to evade a license fee on a clip when you're using the clip for the exact purpose it would typically be licensed for?

Baronash fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Mar 2, 2021

Whitest Russian
Nov 23, 2013

Tuxedo Gin posted:

Those guys just can't catch a break. I didn't usually watch much of their stuff but they seem to be good guys.

Yea it really sucks for them. They have the best monitor reviews which seems to do.
GN Steve also mentioned that HUB Steve was trying to have a little vacation when all of this happened.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Fame Douglas posted:

Pretty sure he said in that video that he's a bit of a prepper.
I'd say probably not unwarranted, if you're in a region where the power tends to go out for extended time while poo poo freezes over. Of course it all depends whether you have rations or five hundred Rambo knifes in your bug out bag.

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.

Tuxedo Gin posted:

I find their current videos very refreshing, especially when they start off any video about GPUs by acknowledging how meaningless GPU reviews are at the moment.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

mobby_6kl posted:

This is kind of tech and definitely idiot: https://youtu.be/pHVMlJocUpc

this has literally nothing to do with this thread (unless Linus steps in to pay his legal bills or something) and the last time i heard about this guy was when gamergate was going on, so 100% get it out lol

e: apparently legal review guy is on floatplane so that's vaguely relevant

Arivia fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Mar 3, 2021

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Ban all Brits from the internet imo.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

mA posted:

I find their current videos very refreshing, especially when they start off any video about GPUs by acknowledging how meaningless GPU reviews are at the moment.

"Welcome back to Hardware Unavailable"

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Remember AdoredTV? He's pivoting from a being a techtuber to a circa-2010 YouTube atheist:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJZQRpDU-S4

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I guess making up consistently wrong predictions about future GPUs should lend itself well to other grifts

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

Mr.Radar posted:

Remember AdoredTV? He's pivoting from a being a techtuber to a circa-2010 YouTube atheist:

the scottish accent is proof god exists and hates us

Purgatory Glory
Feb 20, 2005
A'right God how's it going?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Mr.Radar posted:

his style of argument, blind faith, and insulting people he doesn't like on the merest pretense will fit the internet atheist community very well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
Am I the only one who falls asleep almost immediately when trying to listen to a Gamers Nexus video? Like, he clearly knows his poo poo very well, he has a lot of great information and good content, make no mistake. But on multiple occasions, even when I wasn't tired, the droning monotone that never really starts or stops once the video begins has genuinely put me to sleep, to the point where I've kind of given up on being able to watch his stuff, even if it's on a topic I'm interested in.

I'll sit there, brow furrowed, trying my best to concentrate and keep myself alert as I stare at the screen and listen, and and then he opens his mouth, and it just all kind of...blurs...around my senses.

It sucks, because, as I've already said, he's great at all the useful information stuff.