Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.

moxieman posted:

Anyone had a Partagas Benji Menendez Master Series?

It was a limited release in 2009 and 2013, if my memory is correct. I picked up a few in the majestuoso vitola ages ago at my local shop and really liked it. I was able to pick up a box of the prominentes before they all went out of stock, but I’m on the hunt for a cigar with a similar flavor.

With the increased traffic in the thread, I'd like to resurrect this question and also offer to trade a stick or two of these with any of you more frequent/experienced smokers who thinks they could offer some recommendations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThatOneGuy
Jul 26, 2001

Revolutionary Taste.

moxieman posted:

With the increased traffic in the thread, I'd like to resurrect this question and also offer to trade a stick or two of these with any of you more frequent/experienced smokers who thinks they could offer some recommendations.

It’s a cigar that I remember seeing and nothing about it.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Degenerate idiot post incoming.

Very pleased with this order. The Southern Draw had a Boveda 69% in the box that wasn't too crispy, and they look gorgeous, all long and elegant with the medium-pale Connecticut wrapper. The San Cristobal Revelation box is wonderfully decorated, although the little nail holding it closed was in there pretty tight, so it was a little tough to open. Everything arrived in good condition, and I spent a pleasurable 15 minutes arranging my share of this order in my humidor. I'm especially excited for the Hamlet Liberation toros with the shag foot.

Also, because I have no self control (and because they appeared to not have dried out), I had to spark up a San Cristobal Revelation.

This is an elegant cigar. Box press feels great to hold, burn and draw are both technically excellent. I don't know how it's done, but the smoke is weirdly cool on this one, it's very soft on the tongue. Flavor is all floral, potpourri and sandalwood, with a bit of orange zest and sweetness. Yowzers, that's a nice smoke. I'm glad they come in a 24 box. Given the character on this corona (5.5 x 48, so a big corona), this seems like one I wouldn't mind giving a go in a larger size, maybe a toro.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Hell yeah, great pulls! So happy you're enjoying the Revelation - they're real stunners. If you go up to toro, it'll definitely benefit from the increased girth
We keep around plenty of Robustos here!

CA should ship today - Illusione Rothschildes, Shadow King Robustos, and Rocky Patel Connecticut Juniors to fill out the humidor this trip!

I think average price per stick this trip came to something like $2.67 :discourse:

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Umbagog was okay, definitely a significant down grade from the Mi Querida. The last third tasted of pure potpourri in a bad way but I yanked out a stem and it seems to have fixed itself.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
Snuck out for my first lunch cigar of the year. Had to give the Nasty Fritas another try and it did not disappoint. CA has been a bad influence on my but I keep getting outbid on those RoS

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Ugly, cheap, and pretty friggin good, especially after sitting in my humi for several months. I don't really smoke a lot of cheapies anymore but I found this is one of my humis and went for it. Not gonna win any awards but theyre a solid yard gar. Nice light sweetness, very faint leather and wood notes. Not much else. Surprisingly good construction.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Maksimus54 posted:

Snuck out for my first lunch cigar of the year. Had to give the Nasty Fritas another try and it did not disappoint. CA has been a bad influence on my but I keep getting outbid on those RoS

Can you give some notes on the smoking experience for the Nasty Fritas? I've heard pretty good things about it, and I've been tempted by the unique shape and overall good reputation of Drew Estate's non-infused offerings. It's a ridiculous name, but $200 for a 50 cab isn't bad, and if it's good I might just give it a go sometime soon.

Smoked the Rose of Sharon lancero tonight. First of all, a 7.5 x 40 box-pressed is a very silly-looking cigar, and I'm here for it all the way. Lit up nice, burned even and consistent, and draw was basically flawless the whole time. I deployed the PerfecDraw near the end to try and loosen it just a bit, but honestly that was probably not necessary, I was just getting antsy. Smoke production was good, and it only went out once, which is impressive for such a long and narrow stick. Flavor was subtle and delicate. I think the drink I paired it with might have been a bit on the strong-flavors side (I've been mixing rose wine with gin and liqueurs lately), and also I've been exhausted this week so haven't been quite as tuned in as I could be. As a result, I don't have a clear spread of tasting notes, but I'll say I smoked all the way through it for like an hour and a half and was never bored. It had good cream, and definitely some fruity notes, and was overall extremely enjoyable. I'm looking forward to getting a chance to smoke it with my buddies when all we're doing is talking about our cigars so I can pick out more of its character specifically. I'll probably also try and hunt down a mellow, grainy whiskey as a pairing. I bet this would also be very nice with tea or coffee.

This has been a very good cigar week so far. My girlfriend and I are about to head to a little farmhouse AirBnB in Mendocino tomorrow which is officially a non-smoking property, but I'm gonna bring some stuff up in the Herf-a-dor and take the lay of the land. Hope y'all have some nice smokes in your future as well.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
I'm not great at notes and this was smoked while on a walk so I was somewhat distracted. That said here goes: Nice construction, fun shape, easy draw, moderate smoke. Early notes of dark chocolate, generous spice. The flavors mellowed out pretty quick but by that time I was moving and dodging traffic so I can't bring back specific flavors. I'd say the smoke lasted a nice 35 minutes or so, just enough to soak in some early spring sun. Surprisingly nicotine heavy, though I had it before lunch so my blood sugar was probably a little low anyhow.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Kenning posted:

Smoked the Rose of Sharon lancero tonight... I'll probably also try and hunt down a mellow, grainy whiskey as a pairing. I bet this would also be very nice with tea or coffee.

Can confirm that mellow whisky is incredible with RoS. I've had it with Suntory Toki, but I would assume Macallan or something like that would be excellent too. I'm definitely excited to give these Desert Rose Lonsdales a rip. Apparently the blend is a little different.

Nexein
May 2, 2012

"Donuts of
Champions"
Did some Uhhhh late night impulse damage last night; picked up some Mike-reccomended H-2K-CTs, as well as perennial favorite MF Le Bijou, and uhhh some RoMa Intemperance Lanceros....and some Pettit Illusione Epernays

Oh and some less fancy but still favorite Aroma de Cuba Bellicoso and Alex Bradley tempus Genesis because I love me some skinny boys. Haul pics and trip reports when they come in, for sure!

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Nexein posted:

Did some Uhhhh late night impulse damage last night; picked up some Mike-reccomended H-2K-CTs, as well as perennial favorite MF Le Bijou, and uhhh some RoMa Intemperance Lanceros....and some Pettit Illusione Epernays

Oh and some less fancy but still favorite Aroma de Cuba Bellicoso and Alex Bradley tempus Genesis because I love me some skinny boys. Haul pics and trip reports when they come in, for sure!

HAHAHAHA WE FEASTIN

Nexein
May 2, 2012

"Donuts of
Champions"
:hmmyes:

I am genuinely concerned for our combined humidor space; the logistics aren't adding up for the lessened winter smoking but it has stopped neither of us

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Now that we're heading into spring I think we should do a box pass, like we said we were gonna in fall. Maksimus54 already sent me a PM with their contact info back in October. Please PM me if you'd like to be in on this and I'll set it up. I'm planning on pre-purchasing the labels and including them in the box, so once you receive it all you have to do is swap out the sticks, tape the box back up, apply the next label, and then drop it off at the post office. To pay your share of postage, just add an extra stick or two (~$6-10 worth) to the box.

I'd like to get the off in the next few weeks, so we can beat excessive temperatures around the country. I'm gonna bother this thread to get me information. Let's try and do it before the end of the month!

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I am EXTREMELY in! Hopefully I'll have accumulated some more interesting sticks in the meantime.

I've got another thing currently on the 3D printer I'm excited to show the thread. Finally getting to some accessory design and wanted to check out these different iterations.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

¡Doble Post!

I've only got a 3D printer on hand, but the final versions of these are going to be milled out of cherry (most likely).

These two are slightly different - I spent some hours agonizing over how I wanted a simulated Ogee edge finish to look, but the version I've got printing now is really knocking it out of the park (hence no detail shots). The footprint and height are going to be the same, though.

I'm hoping to get a little CNC router at home to work on some things for work and hopefully pump some of these out.

Plenty of ash capacity, struggles a little with the box pressed Robusto, but it finds a stable place. Unfortunately, you'll actually have to smoke some of the lancero before it fits in the slot 😉

E: makes for a superlative pipe rest, too.

NewFatMike fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Mar 5, 2021

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Nexein popped by for a quick sesh earlier. The Foundation "El Googaneze" got the call. (Go watch CigarPage's newest vid... Seriously) Anyway, I really enjoyed the El Gueguense, possibly as much as the Wise Man maduro variation. Creamy, very lightly sweet, and the overall flavor profile really reminded me of some nice black tea with a little cream and sugar. Great stick that I'll definitely be getting more of. I usually like flavor bombs, but if I'm in the mood for a light/medium smoke this would be the kind of thing I would be after.

NewFatMike posted:

¡Doble Post!

I've only got a 3D printer on hand, but the final versions of these are going to be milled out of cherry (most likely).

These two are slightly different - I spent some hours agonizing over how I wanted a simulated Ogee edge finish to look, but the version I've got printing now is really knocking it out of the park (hence no detail shots). The footprint and height are going to be the same, though.

I'm hoping to get a little CNC router at home to work on some things for work and hopefully pump some of these out.

Plenty of ash capacity, struggles a little with the box pressed Robusto, but it finds a stable place. Unfortunately, you'll actually have to smoke some of the lancero before it fits in the slot 😉

E: makes for a superlative pipe rest, too.

Those ashtrays are sexy as gently caress dude!

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Thank you! I can't wait to get one properly milled out. Gonna have to find thin green felt by the yard to line the bottom with.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

NewFatMike posted:

Thank you! I can't wait to get one properly milled out. Gonna have to find thin green felt by the yard to line the bottom with.

I'll take walnut with maple accent line please :)

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

We'll see how multiple materials go - doable, but more time consuming.

Woke up to my completed vision! Tweaking the width of the cigar channel and ash basin, but this is more or less how it's gonna look. That's a 4x40 Verocru in there for reference.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
I was just joshing ya. Those are looking great!

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

😘

Tweaked it a little so more vitolas will fit, and I think this is the one that'll get milled whenever that happens

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

NewFatMike posted:

😘

Tweaked it a little so more vitolas will fit, and I think this is the one that'll get milled whenever that happens

man that's awesome. What about big doinks like a churchill or a lancero? do they balance ok?

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Closest I have to a churchill on hand is 6x46 but it rested fine. Lanceros rest fine across the top, but you'll have to smoke them down a bit before they'll sit proper in the slot.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Yeah, just fyi whenever you're doing final products I'm in for at least 4, those are sweet.

I recently got this ashtray from Etsy.

Photo is from the listing, I forgot to take a picture of mine and I'm currently out of town. Like yours it works for everything except a lancero, but the Rose of Sharon lancero was able to sit in it after smoking down an inch or so. Since scale is hard to judge in the photo, it's around 3.5 inches tall. My buddies and I came to the conclusion that individual ashtrays were a better solution than a single shared ashtray, so I bought one of these to try and I like it. The concrete aesthetic is pretty charming, and it holds a couple cigars worth of ash.

The thing is, we sometimes smoke on my deck, and sometimes on their deck. That means we'd need 6 ashtrays total. I think I'll get 2 more of these to smoke at my spot, and then whenever you get down to milling some of yours I'd love to grab some for their spot, since I think yours will match their decor more. Goon-made accessories are so much fun!

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

NewFatMike posted:

Closest I have to a churchill on hand is 6x46 but it rested fine. Lanceros rest fine across the top, but you'll have to smoke them down a bit before they'll sit proper in the slot.

Sweet. Between Nexein and myself we're gonna be in for several of those jammers once you have em ready to rock.

Nexein
May 2, 2012

"Donuts of
Champions"

Gramps posted:

Sweet. Between Nexein and myself we're gonna be in for several of those jammers once you have em ready to rock.

The misses still has some in the works here too don't forget

Today's degeneracy post brought to you by cigar page's incredibly fast turnaround time

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Nexein posted:

The misses still has some in the works here too don't forget

Today's degeneracy post brought to you by cigar page's incredibly fast turnaround time

Like we can ever have too many ashtrays lol

also HOOOOOOO doggy!

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Thanks guys! I have a lot of work to get these ready for the CNC router (namely, write a post processor :shepface:) but I'm super psyched to have the design done. Y'all are very sweet! I'm very glad y'all want some.

New Fat House has also been blessed with degeneracy today:

I was super duper tempted to smoke one of those Illusione Rothschildes right off the truck, but my La Aurora 115th Belicosos have been in the humidor for 2 weeks and it's high time I smoked one!

The cabinets of Rothschildes and Juniors seem to have traveled well - maybe I'll give them a shot tomorrow.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
You know what must be done.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

My nominee for most underrated cigar on the planet right here.

Deep, dark, sweet n spicy. And you can get em pretty drat cheap. Quite strong, one of the only cigars I've needed to slow down on because of nicotine punching my face off. I love these and I really think Espinosa is super underrated as a whole. Cigarbid still has the 601 samplers really cheap too.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Yeah Espinosa definitely has some gems, the Laranja Reserva Escuro is something you should probably try too.

Crowned Heads Court Reserve XVIII was tasty. Toasty wood/bread, chocolate, some pepper. One of my more enjoyable cigars of late.

I smoked a Warped Flor de Valle Lancero and dumped it half way, just tasted like burnt tobacco no matter how slow and careful I tried to smoke it.

Lyon fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Mar 6, 2021

Nexein
May 2, 2012

"Donuts of
Champions"

I am entirely incorrigible when it comes to fresh outta the mail sticks but this one still rocks somehow, it seems to be not quite as butterscotchy as the larger one but it's still just a killer creamy cedar that's Goin great with my coffee

Nexein
May 2, 2012

"Donuts of
Champions"
Double posting call the cops

While it's burning and cracking a little too ugly to show a picture of, I'm ripping a mail-fresh h-2k-ct centurion this morning and it rocks. It definitely needs more time to get to its full potential, but I'm rounding the lower band right now and it's giving me a lot of candy bar type stuff; caramel, chocolate, nougat, coffee, and a citrus note that I'm mostly noticing on the nose and retro. My main complaint other than the forgivable construction on this one is that it doesn't have that My Father spice like I love on the antillas/bijou/judge, but so far I haven't run into a single MF that hasn't immediately made it into my top 10, I don't think.

Excited to somehow forget about these for a bit until they stabilize and I can jump back into another.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Rippin a NUB Dub with a vat of black coffee. The Dub is the king of the nubs. I love them. Perhaps the finest morning cigar I've had. Low maintenance (never gets too hot or goes out if you let it sit), great construction, and just fabulous chocolate fudge brownie flavor. If you like sweeter Maduros this one is up there with the best I've had.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Re: Centurions :sickos:

The H-2K-CT arereally good, the standard Centurions are really good as well, just super different. The novelty of that hybrid wrapper is so wild and I love it.

Lyon posted:

You know what must be done.

I went and did the drat thing and I have no ragrets! A shadow of what it'll be in a few weeks, but that spicy creamy base was there, almost like a chai latte. I cannot wait for them to be ready! Love the Illusione Rothschildes.

In ROTT solidarity with y'all, my spouse and I split one of the Rocky Patel Connecticut Juniors this morning. It's bitter, as Connecticuts can be when they're dried out, but I could see where it's going to be. It got me amped to get more of the 40 cabs for just having a nice, casual smoke.

I foresee a mess of cabinets entering my humidor this year, and I couldn't be more psyched.

Also, it's warm in Chicago today and my wifi still gives me a great connection over by the garage, so the cafe set is out:

E: that La Aurora 115 Belicoso was loving delicious. Another week will probably get it to prime positioning, but it's exceptional. I'll have to keep bringing new things in so I can save a fiver of them for a few years. Woe is me!

NewFatMike fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Mar 6, 2021

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Wait did you smoke a Shadow King or an Illusione Rothschildes?

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

One of the Rothschildes, I'm giving the Shadow Kings maximum care just to give AJ the best possible benefit haha.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

NewFatMike posted:

I'm giving the Shadow Kings maximum care just to give AJ the best possible benefit haha.

What's the story with these? I almost bought em early on cause the packaging is loving awesome but I've shied away from them because I tend to avoid most budget stuff these days. Now I'm in love with AJ cigars and now I'm hearing those cheap lil dudes are actually good? You guys are gonna get me in trouble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nexein
May 2, 2012

"Donuts of
Champions"
gently caress I miss outside-beers, it's...20 and windy outside today