Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice

Zonko_T.M. posted:

2. A friend let me borrow his Farscape DVDs and they had this really bad ad on every DVD for some kind of anime/manga service that I'm pretty sure is defunct by now. The ad started with two narrators, going back and forth with, "What is anime!?" "Not Kid stuff!" "Action! Adventure! Sci fi!" over random clips from different shows. I cannot for the life of me recall what the service was and haven't had any luck looking up the ad with the bits and pieces I do know.

You remembered it pretty well!

https://twitter.com/weebtrailers/status/1085696195870314496

I happen to have one of the original Farscape DVD releases, so it was easy enough to look at the case for logos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Ha ha, this reminds me of this youtube video I just watched about the internet's white whale obsession over tracking down the "lost" TV series which the burning skier clip in the Malcolm In The Middle opening credits was taken from.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfRWxiRZVrw

if you can't find a clip within 5 minutes of googling for it, it is LOST MEDIA

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
Excuse the double post, but I don't like editing in answers to previous posts because there's no notification of it. (Thanks Riptor)

nobodygetshurt posted:

Ok there was this anime i used to watch on VHS in Yemen back in the mid 80's.

It was about a boy and his 1.5 feet tall remote control robot. He would take it to tournaments and have it fight other small remote control robots. If someone can find this for me, you might actually make me cry because that is something I've been looking for for over 30 years.

I don't know much about anime - despite responding to two anime requests in a row - but maybe https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plawres_Sanshiro? The wikipedia page even explicitly says the anime was "aired in 1983 in Japan, Hong Kong, Greece and Arab countries."

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

uvar posted:

You remembered it pretty well!

https://twitter.com/weebtrailers/status/1085696195870314496

I happen to have one of the original Farscape DVD releases, so it was easy enough to look at the case for logos.

That's it! Thank you so much!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

uvar posted:

I don't know much about anime - despite responding to two anime requests in a row - but maybe https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plawres_Sanshiro? The wikipedia page even explicitly says the anime was "aired in 1983 in Japan, Hong Kong, Greece and Arab countries."

Here's a Youtube vid:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJW2PTA0aFI

Manto
Aug 27, 2003
Rawrr!

Zonko_T.M. posted:

I'm looking for two things:
1. I have a very distinct memory of a TV spot for Star Trek: Voyager that had a voice over that went something like, "THIS MAY, COME WHAT MAY, THE CREW OF THE VOYAGER (whatever) and that it repeated the "THIS MAY COME WHAT MAY" line several times. I've tried looking around online but I can't find any evidence that this actually existed.

*narrator voice* CLICK THIS LINK TO YOUR DISMAY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4TzhnjIQlI

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

Manto posted:

*narrator voice* CLICK THIS LINK TO YOUR DISMAY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4TzhnjIQlI

You're incredible! It's even better than I remember. I did not remember the words showing up in explosions!

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

I'm whispering "Borg, Borg" irl

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Same but like the Swedish chef

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
That is a drat fine example of just how tryhard UPN advertising was. As is this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__8aS105PDE

LUST IN SPACE. Starring Harry Kim!

Rascallion
Feb 10, 2014
Looking for an animated version of this Takoyaki Mambo song. It is animated takoyaki in a food stand singing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuyF_IRzAvM

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I remember when I was really small seeing on the news that some family was somehow reunited because of the movie Twins. It had something to do with someone recognizing an extra in the background as a long lost relative or something like that.

It always popped into my mind now and then but I can't find anything on it. It was definitely like a legit news story. I remember it being in the media for a while but I can't find anything about it. I was too young to understand it and I'd love to know what the hell that backstory was.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

I remember when I was really small seeing on the news that some family was somehow reunited because of the movie Twins. It had something to do with someone recognizing an extra in the background as a long lost relative or something like that.

It always popped into my mind now and then but I can't find anything on it. It was definitely like a legit news story. I remember it being in the media for a while but I can't find anything about it. I was too young to understand it and I'd love to know what the hell that backstory was.
I found this in the IMDb entry for "Twins":

IMDb Trivia posted:

Two real-life twins were reunited with their father after seeing him in the scene set in downtown Santa Fe.
Might be a start!

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Ok, White Whale thread, work your magic on these two things, both somewhat related.

1) A book or video series advertised on TV in the 90's for all sorts of pseudoscience things. It is NOT the "Mysterious of the Unknown" series. I've seen a couple commercials for that, and that is not it. It's from later, more like mid 90's, not late 80's. The one VERY distinct part I remember is the narrator talking about "The Face of Mars" while the camera pans over the somewhat famous/infamous "face of Mars" photo:

2) A book, that was part of a larger book series (but AGAIN, not The Mysterious of the Unknown,) that was also about pseudoscience and cryptids. It was a single book about that sort of stuff in a series of other books, the rest of which were all normal. I think the books were aimed at kids/young teens, but can't be sure...I can't remember what specific things the other books were about, but it was probably standard things like "Dinosaurs" and "Plants" and "Space."
But this last one in the series I liked the most, cause I was into that sort of stuff as a kid, and had chapters on things like the Bermuda Triangle, the Mary Celeste, and a lot on cryptids. I specifically remember section on "sea monsters" that showed a photo taken on a Russian, or Chinese, fishing boat of a "sea monster" the crew caught that even the book said might just have been a dead sea turtle who's shell had fallen off. And another small section on the possibility of "mini dinosaurs" possibly living in a remote section of the jungle in Africa, with a drawing of a couple small dinosaurs only about as tall as some palm trees.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Hirayuki posted:

I found this in the IMDb entry for "Twins":

Might be a start!

I can't believe I remembered the movie correctly! I was 6 years old at the time!

I wish they gave a bit more info though so I could find some newspaper articles about it.

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

lurker2006 posted:

Remember having a few vhs recordings of episodes of some sort of horror anthology that I watched over and over as a child, not sure if it was from a show or a movie, don't think it was crypt. the most coherent episode synopsis I retain is a kid being turned by an old vampire and having to face humans turning into werewolves at his presence.

This sounds really familiar, but I can't place it. I remember "Are You Afraid of the Dark" having a lot of kid-centric vampire episodes, or maybe the "Monsters" TV series if it was older than that. Maybe something from "Friday the 13th: The Series," "Tales from the Darkside" or something or other?

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

I can't believe I remembered the movie correctly! I was 6 years old at the time!

I wish they gave a bit more info though so I could find some newspaper articles about it.

Thanks Hirayuki, it didn't even occur to me to check the IMDB page, and I gave up quickly because it seemed impossible to separate articles about the plot of Twins from people getting reunited because of Twins. But the Santa Fe bit was enough:

quote:

While most moviegoers went to see "Twins" for a few laughs, Steven Zepeda was drawn for a different reason. He was looking for his father.
March 6, 1989 | USA TODAY (Arlington, VA)
Author: KAY BIRD

While most moviegoers went to see "Twins" for a few laughs, Steven Zepeda was drawn for a different reason. He was looking for his father.

After his fourth viewing at an Albuquerque, N.M., theater in December, Steven, 17, reported back to his brother Christian, 20, that the father they had not seen in 10 years had a bit part in the movie.

One phone call and an hour's drive brought the family back together. The brothers now live with their father, artist Ernesto Zepeda, in Santa Fe.

Steven and Christian had not seen their father since he and their mother were divorced. Their mother told the brothers that Zepeda lived in Canada or maybe Honduras, Zepeda's homeland.
The article goes on, https://infoweb.newsbank.com/apps/n...28207E95A848360 if you have access to that through a library or something. Oh, or here's another version that's freely available https://www.upi.com/Archives/1989/03/07/Quirks-in-the-News/6248605250000/

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

DrBouvenstein posted:

Ok, White Whale thread, work your magic on these two things, both somewhat related.

1) A book or video series advertised on TV in the 90's for all sorts of pseudoscience things. It is NOT the "Mysterious of the Unknown" series. I've seen a couple commercials for that, and that is not it. It's from later, more like mid 90's, not late 80's. The one VERY distinct part I remember is the narrator talking about "The Face of Mars" while the camera pans over the somewhat famous/infamous "face of Mars" photo:

2) A book, that was part of a larger book series (but AGAIN, not The Mysterious of the Unknown,) that was also about pseudoscience and cryptids. It was a single book about that sort of stuff in a series of other books, the rest of which were all normal. I think the books were aimed at kids/young teens, but can't be sure...I can't remember what specific things the other books were about, but it was probably standard things like "Dinosaurs" and "Plants" and "Space."
But this last one in the series I liked the most, cause I was into that sort of stuff as a kid, and had chapters on things like the Bermuda Triangle, the Mary Celeste, and a lot on cryptids. I specifically remember section on "sea monsters" that showed a photo taken on a Russian, or Chinese, fishing boat of a "sea monster" the crew caught that even the book said might just have been a dead sea turtle who's shell had fallen off. And another small section on the possibility of "mini dinosaurs" possibly living in a remote section of the jungle in Africa, with a drawing of a couple small dinosaurs only about as tall as some palm trees.

I think if you read through the thread there's been a few requests like this.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Read a book when I was younger that was some kind of environmentalist sci-fi thing (just handled poorly). Future Earth gets wrecked by pollution and disasters, scientist time-travels back to assassinate the figures responsible. Every time he does, things get worse when he looks forward, and so does the technology he uses; he starts out with some sleek and advanced gun and little personal time machine, and by the end of the book (this is the bit that reminds me of it), what he has do work with decays so far he's using a radiation gun and a backpack-sized time machine that rips out bubbles of space, floorboards and all. I think it was YA written from someone else's perspective? This would have been at least a decade to 15 years ago, I'm almost certain. Never found even a hint of what it is.

Teketeketeketeke
Mar 11, 2007

SkyeAuroline posted:

Read a book when I was younger that was some kind of environmentalist sci-fi thing (just handled poorly). Future Earth gets wrecked by pollution and disasters, scientist time-travels back to assassinate the figures responsible. Every time he does, things get worse when he looks forward, and so does the technology he uses; he starts out with some sleek and advanced gun and little personal time machine, and by the end of the book (this is the bit that reminds me of it), what he has do work with decays so far he's using a radiation gun and a backpack-sized time machine that rips out bubbles of space, floorboards and all. I think it was YA written from someone else's perspective? This would have been at least a decade to 15 years ago, I'm almost certain. Never found even a hint of what it is.

This seems super familiar to me, but I'm not sure if it's because you've posted about it previously here (I also saw your post from 6 years ago on Reddit while trying to solve this, so this seems likely) or because I've read the story in question.

Any chance it's _The Green Futures of Tycho_ by William Sleator? That definitely has the shifting time machine (egglike device that changes through time travel) and the repeated attempts to defeat the bad guy across increasingly hosed up timescapes.

Anyway, I'll keep looking. I'll also ask my academic sf scholar bff...

Teketeketeketeke fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Mar 10, 2021

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Teketeketeketeke posted:

This seems super familiar to me, but I'm not sure if it's because you've posted about it previously here (I also saw your post from 6 years ago on Reddit while trying to solve this, so this seems likely) or because I've read the story in question.

Any chance it's _The Green Futures of Tycho_ by William Sleator? That definitely has the shifting time machine (egglike device that changes through time travel) and the repeated attempts to defeat the bad guy across increasingly hosed up timescapes.

Anyway, I'll keep looking. I'll also ask my academic sf scholar bff...

I don't think this is the one - in what I'm thinking of the time traveler starts out in the bad future as an adult, and I'm pretty sure they're the villain of the story.
Man, has it really been six years since I started searching again?

Teketeketeketeke
Mar 11, 2007

SkyeAuroline posted:

I don't think this is the one - in what I'm thinking of the time traveler starts out in the bad future as an adult, and I'm pretty sure they're the villain of the story.
Man, has it really been six years since I started searching again?

Oh wait -- now I'm seeing a few posts of yours pop up on Reddit from 6 months ago. Not sure if I misread months vs years, or if you were searching in both spans of time :)
And you're pretty sure it was a novel, not a short story?

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Teketeketeketeke posted:

Oh wait -- now I'm seeing a few posts of yours pop up on Reddit from 6 months ago. Not sure if I misread months vs years, or if you were searching in both spans of time :)
And you're pretty sure it was a novel, not a short story?

I know I had it in print and I wasn't much for short story collections at the time, but it honestly may have been a short story instead of a novel.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

just saying I've been in the same sort of "was it a short story? was it an anthology or online?" situation with the basement mice story and you should probably be prepared for it being an effortpost slagging off Bill Gates or something

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

My Lovely Horse posted:

just saying I've been in the same sort of "was it a short story? was it an anthology or online?" situation with the basement mice story and you should probably be prepared for it being an effortpost slagging off Bill Gates or something

I at least know in this case that a) it was in print, b) it was before I was Terminally Online. So just about has to have been something published. Helps, if only a tiny bit.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Y'know when people post a lengthy question about some whale they've been hunting for ages, and then there's an edit 5 minutes later saying "hey, typing this triggered another memory, and I found it"? That was me just now.

I have a cassette mixtape from probably 1998, 1999, that got irreparably damaged about 10 years ago. I've hung on to it in the hopes of re-creating it based on the track listing. Just dug it up, and thanks to the internet I can easily find even the weirdest songs on it!

Except one track, which had no artist listed, but the title of "il mostro". That mostly gives results of Ahsram, Ennio Morricone, and a bunch of other Italian classical-ish stuff. I knew the genre wouldn't be that, but this tape has stuff from Peaches to FLA to Garbage to The Shangri-Las, so I couldn't even remember WHAT the hell the song was even supposed to be like.

I started typing this tale of woe, and doing that must've made a couple old neurons run into each for the first time in years. I suddenly heard the beat in my head again, and remembered it was a track from a comp; I never owned a whole album by them. Put in "il mostro industrial track comp" and holy poo poo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3FbWpRdSfg

Just saying, even if you think no one else will find your white whale, the act of thinking about it and posting sometimes makes yer brain do mysteeeeerious things.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Y'know when people post a lengthy question about some whale they've been hunting for ages, and then there's an edit 5 minutes later saying "hey, typing this triggered another memory, and I found it"? That was me just now.

I have a cassette mixtape from probably 1998, 1999, that got irreparably damaged about 10 years ago. I've hung on to it in the hopes of re-creating it based on the track listing. Just dug it up, and thanks to the internet I can easily find even the weirdest songs on it!

Except one track, which had no artist listed, but the title of "il mostro". That mostly gives results of Ahsram, Ennio Morricone, and a bunch of other Italian classical-ish stuff. I knew the genre wouldn't be that, but this tape has stuff from Peaches to FLA to Garbage to The Shangri-Las, so I couldn't even remember WHAT the hell the song was even supposed to be like.

I started typing this tale of woe, and doing that must've made a couple old neurons run into each for the first time in years. I suddenly heard the beat in my head again, and remembered it was a track from a comp; I never owned a whole album by them. Put in "il mostro industrial track comp" and holy poo poo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3FbWpRdSfg

Just saying, even if you think no one else will find your white whale, the act of thinking about it and posting sometimes makes yer brain do mysteeeeerious things.
I'm sure there's a better non-nerd term for it

FishMist
Apr 24, 2005

*sniff sniff*
Just finished reading the whole thread, may as well answer a couple of old-rear end posts:

i!ii!!iii!!!ii!!i! posted:

3. An early 90s movie that heavily featured the southwest, and three criminals/outlaws were maybe chasing a couple, but all I remember is the bad guys had some crazy drug they kept taking through pneumatic injector. The main bad guy had a bolo tie and maybe forced a bald dude they captured to take it. I don't know why I remember any of this.

Love and a .45

InediblePenguin posted:

I feel like I might've asked this and been answered somewhere before but I've forgotten the answer and can't find it on google at this moment. Guess I'll check my past posts in this thread after I hit post lol
but:

A short story I read in the early '90s, but I think the story was quite a bit older. The protagonist is a Boy Scout. There's an event at a Civil War battleground for a 50-year anniversary. There's a lot of old Confederate veterans and such. The battleground itself attacks the veterans; the teeth of the dead men still buried there are in the dirt and the ground opens and chews a guy up.

"Iverson's Pits" by Dan Simmons, it's in a compilation called Dark Visions

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

uvar posted:

Thanks Hirayuki, it didn't even occur to me to check the IMDB page, and I gave up quickly because it seemed impossible to separate articles about the plot of Twins from people getting reunited because of Twins. But the Santa Fe bit was enough:

The article goes on, https://infoweb.newsbank.com/apps/n...28207E95A848360 if you have access to that through a library or something. Oh, or here's another version that's freely available https://www.upi.com/Archives/1989/03/07/Quirks-in-the-News/6248605250000/

Holy poo poo thank you so much! Even as a little kid I wondered how the hell seeing someone in a movie would reunite them with that person and the answer is finally solved! 🍻

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
A friend is trying to remember a song that used to be played on the radio in Australia in the 90s, the only lyrics she can remember are "send a message to your local MP, drive it home that it's not easy, to be living in a loveless society...." The singer was a woman.
She's pretty sure she heard in on Triple J, an alternative music/"youth culture" radio station.

Isolationist
Oct 18, 2005

The implication.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

A friend is trying to remember a song that used to be played on the radio in Australia in the 90s, the only lyrics she can remember are "send a message to your local MP, drive it home that it's not easy, to be living in a loveless society...." The singer was a woman.
She's pretty sure she heard in on Triple J, an alternative music/"youth culture" radio station.

Just in case she's misremembering lyrics, Plastic Loveless Letter by Magic Dirt has a female vocalist, and from memory was heavily played on JJJ.

Teketeketeketeke
Mar 11, 2007

I saw this over at SA Mart, and figured I'd cross-post here for better exposure (no relation to OP):
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3961835

MJP posted:

I had a sudden weird craving to listen to a ska cover of All Your Base that I heard many years ago, and was since lost to time. Some brief googling found nothing, other than a link to a Wikipedia edit page that said it was done by a Canadian band called One Size Fits Most.

If you can find this song, in MP3 form or any other audible decent quality media, I will pay you $10.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Isolationist posted:

Just in case she's misremembering lyrics, Plastic Loveless Letter by Magic Dirt has a female vocalist, and from memory was heavily played on JJJ.

She's pretty certain about the lyrics. The really weird thing is that we can't find anything on google regardless of the combinations we try except this random unattributed text box in a 2002 student newspaper from the University of Wollongong

It has "letter" instead of "message" but it feels too similar to be coincidental

i!ii!!iii!!!ii!!i!
Jan 5, 2011

Cool avs beyond this door.

FishMist posted:

Just finished reading the whole thread, may as well answer a couple of old-rear end posts:

Love and a .45

Hell yes! Thank you, friend!

no pubes yet sorry
Sep 11, 2003

There was a NSFW fyad drawing/art that had a cool dude with mirrored sunglasses on and in the reflection there was a trans woman with a motorcycle. He was really pumped about it per his expression. Wolf howling or something.

I think SA, the internet has scrubbed it because it Def was in bad taste but it's about as silly as the Our Little Secret album cover by Lords of Acid.

I have a gigantic repository of SA images I torrented years ago and it's not there. Lost to the sands of bad taste and time I guess.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

no pubes yet sorry posted:

There was a NSFW fyad drawing/art that had a cool dude with mirrored sunglasses on and in the reflection there was a trans woman with a motorcycle. He was really pumped about it per his expression. Wolf howling or something.

I think SA, the internet has scrubbed it because it Def was in bad taste but it's about as silly as the Our Little Secret album cover by Lords of Acid.

I have a gigantic repository of SA images I torrented years ago and it's not there. Lost to the sands of bad taste and time I guess.

I know exactly the picture you're talking about. It's definitely been posted within the last year, so don't give up.

Harvey TWH
Sep 6, 2005

Want some peanuts?
I've been trying to centralize my saved copies of forums stuff, and I assumed I had one thing I'd like to read again but maybe I never saved it. (I have archives, but not search, so if the thread is known I'd at least be able to access it.) At least I think I saw it on SAF. General internet search is giving me very porny results.

It was an email from someone's new college roommate, the sort of getting-to-know-you thing, but this kid did not have very permissive parents, so the email earnestly says stuff like "What do you like to watch? Here are some of my favorite shows:" and it's a list of like 50 Disney Channel sitcoms, and there are similar huge lists for other media, like all the music is A-Teens and so on.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

no pubes yet sorry posted:

Yeah there was a thread about it pretty recently https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3938359&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

$600.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Hahaha that cool dude is dale gribble.